Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you read ingame books?

d1nolore

Savant
Sometimes I collect them and intend to read them but when I try they are usually drivel and I go back to playing the game. These days I put them in the same category as commoner npc dialogue; waste of time no patience.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I read ingame books when they are well-written, funny and provide some useful information concerning the game world - like in Witcher trilogy.

Ingame e-mails though...

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I did in Morrowind, can't think of a game since then where I actually, intentionally read the in-game books. But MW did it the right way, by connecting the main story to what you could find in tomes -- and by making books quest items.

ETA: and by making them well-written, for the most part.

Sunri

Liturgist
I read books and jorunals in Arcanum they were required to solve puzzles

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sometimes, yeah. It depends on how immersed I am. Sometimes in the TES games it felt appropriate - like, you're dungeon crawling, chance on a book with an interesting title and get absorbed by it :)

bobocrunch

Educated
I never read books in games but started to after playing Morrowind for the first time (not being a kid) with all the expanded area mods and it was really great for immersion and just learning about the world. My favorite is when books include stuff you can experience in the game world, Enderal was great at that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom