Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does anyone wanna play SC2?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I was decent at SC1, but I'm not at SC2 and I play gimped Zerg. Does anyone wanna play? I haven't really played against people yet. I don't think playing random matchmaking would be very fun, for some reason.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
well now i know firsthand how lame ZvT is
hey none of my units are any good against any of your units

in case anyone is wondering SMT just one based and massed marines and thors, I killed his marines but there was nothing I could do against his thors because of how larvae-restricted zerg is

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
KC, took his ball and went home.

I guess 5 reapers on a cliff heavy map will do that to you.

edit: If you pushed with all those roaches you had defending your base, I wouldn't have stood a chance. I had dumped everything into reapers -- I only had 1 marine back at base.

Antihero

Liturgist
Maybe speed upgraded zerglings? At least once they have that (and especially on creep) they should force the reapers to keep jumping back down the cliff or die until you deal with them properly, maybe even with a queen to smack them from above. Metabolic boost can still feel like an eternity for the research time when you need it, though.

Antihero

Liturgist
Shrug.

From http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Units
Zergling speed with metabolic boost: 4.6991. On creep I'm assuming it's 4.6991*1.3=6.10883 (probably rounded or truncated). Without the boost it's 2.9531 (3.83903 on creep), which never seems to be fast enough against reapers.

Reapers' speed: 2.9531 or 3.84 with the nitro pack upgrade.

Speedlings on creep are still about 60% faster than nitro reapers, don't cost gas (besides 100 for the tech), and give you twice as many for the same population cost.

Reapers can be lame and probably more of a pain if they have a bunch of them and rush early on, but you should be able to get a lot more zerglings than they can reapers - at least drive them down the cliff again and maybe patrol the cliff's edge with a roach or queen so they don't jump back up and try to take pot shots on your zerglings or workers. Probably better ways to deal with them, but usually I find it goes a lot smoother once you have metabolic boost.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It doesn't matter. If he runs around the reapers killing a bunch of drones then you're screwed no matter what you do.
edit: If you pushed with all those roaches you had defending your base, I wouldn't have stood a chance
No, you would've killed all my drones

Antihero

Liturgist
Well, I dunno. Hardly ideal, but maybe if you're really in a bind, pull your workers off the line briefly and protect them with roaches or the queen until you drive the reapers away. Of course you don't want to keep doing that, but a replay might give a better idea of the situation. Spine crawlers might get taken out fast if they focus fire, but I believe it'd still take about 11 hits combined from unupgraded reapers to take one out and then you might be able to swoop in with speedlings and surround them if they focus on it and they have a much slower rate of fire when attacking buildings.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I she went for early reapers any sort of token ling rush would have crippled her.

Did either of you scout the other with a worker? Were you playing on one of those stupid novice maps with blocked entrances?

Damned Registrations

Reapers use a lot of gas, between the tech lab, speed boost and reapers themselves. So to get decently early reapers, the ramp won't be blocked as early as usual, since you make a refinery first. On top of that, even if the ramp is blocked, there won't be any marines- the barracks is making a techlab first.

Antihero

Liturgist
DamnedRegistrations said:
Reapers use a lot of gas, between the tech lab, speed boost and reapers themselves. So to get decently early reapers, the ramp won't be blocked as early as usual, since you make a refinery first. On top of that, even if the ramp is blocked, there won't be any marines- the barracks is making a techlab first.
The only problem there is they can be cheap and put SCVs on repairing the depot or barracks while only up to about three zerglings have room to wail away at each building blocking the ramp. At least it should hold the zerglings off long enough to get a marine or two out. Early ways in are resource consuming (banelings) and still take a while (baneling nest or roach warren + overlord for pop + time for roaches to scuttle over and focus fire a depot and then get greeted by lots of marauders).

I haven't been reaper rushed much as Zerg, but even if your speedlings on creep can't easily surround nitro reapers on the move and going up and down cliffs, they might force them to keep on the move and then maybe use some roaches (or spine crawlers) or the queen to stick by and protect the drones. Or something. At least eventually you should get mutas or hydras.

Still, TvZ has more lame things to complain about.

Damned Registrations

Only time I've faced the matchup personally the guy I was fighting couldn't micro worth shit so my lings ate his reapers.

Looks like a queen is a good defensive option too, though both players here start so late (I usually 10 pool myself, you can go even earlier than that) my point about a ling rush is moot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqXw4zx ... re=related (Zerg win that match btw. Terrans cannot into map control vs zerg.)

Also, if you can build your pool in the right spot, the reapers can't circle the mineral line, which is really the only way they can harass with impunity when you got lings chasing them on creep.

Antihero

Liturgist
Queens are nice, but range and DPS-wise against reapers (without an armour upgrade) I think they're on par with a single roach (but half upfront-damage), only they move slightly slower on creep and have more health, but cost more and can only be produced one at a time per hatchery, so you'd probably want at least some roaches to scale with the number of nitro reapers, plus metabolic boost so your zerglings aren't completely useless. On the plus side you don't need a roach warren or gas for them either, don't count as armoured (even with 1 armour) so they should stand up better to any supporting marauders than roaches, and they might be useful if they go banshees soon and they didn't waste too much gas on reapers. Edit: might want two or three roaches so you can put the hurt on a reaper with them and a queen, otherwise queens don't have enough "snipe-damage" unless the reaper lingers just a little too long.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
kingcomrade said:
well now i know firsthand how lame ZvT is
hey none of my units are any good against any of your units

in case anyone is wondering SMT just one based and massed marines and thors, I killed his marines but there was nothing I could do against his thors because of how larvae-restricted zerg is

Against massed marines and thors. your best bet is mutas and banelings. Banelings will melt the marines. With (very simple) micro, 4 mutas will take down a thor. See this video for an explanation on how to kill thors with mutas.

kingcomrade said:
Well yeah, there's nothing I can do because Roaches are so slow. You could kill my workers with invulnerability.

Roaches move 1.7x faster on creep. Many new zerg players tend to neglect creep highways. Essentially, if you build 2 queens at your main, you will have energy to spare to spawn creep tumors. You want that creep spread over as much of the map as possible. When you expand to a second base, it also means you'll have a queen already built to inject larvae in your new hatchery.

kingcomrade said:
You mean zerglings that die in a single volley from reapers who are still faster and are ranged?

A group of zerglings (say, 6-8 lings) with zergling speed on creep will outrun reapers. Sure, the reapers will kill 1-2 lings, but as soon as you catch up and surround them, they're going down. A reaper is worth 3-4 zerglings in resources, so it's a good trade for you.

Queens are also quite decent against reapers, so long as you keep them on your creep. They have the same attack range as a reaper, so they can't easily duck in and out.

kingcomrade said:
Is there some sort of map where Terran can't easily block entrances?

Most every map has some sort of way for terran to wall off their main. Xel'Naga caverns makes it fiendishly difficult for them to defend their expo though. Blistering sands has destructible rocks at the bac k of their base if you want to deal surprise buttsecks. There are destructable rocks for Steppes of War as well, but only for the expansion. The entrance on Scrapyard station is extremely wide, making it tough to wall off before a zergling rush appears. Plus on scrapyard, the short air distance makes muta harras quite effective.

Zerg vs. terran IS a very tough match-up. In fact, anything vs. terran is. But it is a general consensus both between new players and the pros. Blizzard said the first balance patch was slated for release 5 weeks after the game launched, and it's quite likely terrans will be seeing nerfs by then.

If the terran wall-in gets on your tits, you could always try the baneling bust shown in this video.

Going from SMA's earlier posts on the codex, he seems quite fond of mass reapers. If you're playing him again this video shows a nice zerg countering to mass reapers

MapMan

Arcane
I'm also a zerg player(Havnt played since the beta though, getting sc2 very soon) as well. I actually learned some stuff from this thread. I approve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom