Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does anyone wanna play SC2?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
If you watch the clip in question you'll see that the guy built nothing but ghosts for 90% of the game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Snipe is decent to deal with almost anything zerg if you micro it fast enough. Probably the best counters are lings (Too many to snipe, but die to 2 of the normal shots anyways) or roaches (Which are too short range, but can tank the hell out of both snipe and the attacks.) Everything else costs too much to spend for the amount of energy it takes to kill with snipe. 75 energy for a muta, 50 for a hydra, 275 for an ultra is a lot, but thats 6 supply worth, so 3 ghosts can pull that easily, energy wise. If the zerg are out macroing or you can't snipe fast enough it's their win, but ghosts are seriously OP vs zerg.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Thanks for all the analysis but I was puking drunk when I played against SMA, hence my being a giant baby.

I do leave larvae sitting around. I really hate all the micro it takes from Zerg just to build units, especially against Terran where you've also got to second-stage zerglings to get banelings.
It's also really hard to scout Terran. I guess you just have to suicide a fast overlord into his base.

Does anyone think attackfighter is even more butthurt about video games than skyway?

Antihero

Liturgist
Overweight Manatee said:
If you have the micro, get infestors and use fungal growth on the units. If you do that well then you hardly even need the banelings
I don't know about that: once they have a handful of medivacs, fungal growth alone seems to become pretty ineffective for damage and mainly just a way to prevent marines from escaping your banelings. Edit: beyond FG to fix marines, it might be better to just chain FG on the medivacs for damage along with antiair support. Apparently FG does about 4.5 HP/s damage (and doesn't stack), while the medivac can effectively heal units at 13.5 HP/s for 4.5 energy/s (according to liquipedia). Forgetting the numbers, all I know is that with a manageable amount of medivacs they never seem to run out of energy in a big fight and marines recover out of red or orange health PDQ and you need something to do a large amount of immediate damage for zerglings to help much before they're melted away - or survive killing/driving away the medivacs. Not to mention there's no medivac healing micro necessary, so it's a no-brainer to support your bioball with.

Overweight Manatee said:
Banelings pretty much fail against everything but mass zealots.
Yeah, I find them pretty useful at keeping chargelots at bay, so my roaches can still outrange them (unless the zealots suicide in) or I don't have enough hydras yet.

Overweight Manatee said:
After you hopefully stop their initial attack, 95% of Protoss (this statistic is not made up, it is a cold hard fact) will go for void rays. Sadly, Void Rays literally have no counter at T2. Both Hydralisks and Muta, while they can take them down, are actually cost-inefficient doing so.
Did you mean tier 1? While spore colonies seem practically useless against void rays managed with an ounce of micro, some extra queens could help buy you some time against their one or two void rays until you get some lair tech going.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Also, hydras rape void rays, wtf are you talking about. Adjusting for food costs (1 food = ~12 minerals) a hydra is 125/50 cost vs a void at 287/150. You should easily have 2.5 hydras per void. They have the same base speed (Hydras being way faster on creep), same range after the no brainer upgrade, and hydras will roflstomp them in dps and build time is almost half.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
kingcomrade said:
I do leave larvae sitting around. I really hate all the micro it takes from Zerg just to build units, especially against Terran where you've also got to second-stage zerglings to get banelings.

2 things that can help you here. 1: Hotkey all your hatcheries to 0. 2: Hotkey all your queens to 9. If you inject in all your hatcheries at the same time, you can save time on the subsequent injections, because you only have to keep track of one completion timer for larvae. When it is time to re-inject, press 9, then v, then click your hatchery on the minimap. Repeat for each hatchery you have. This will cause the queen closest to the hatchery you click (assuming she has energy) to go there and inject without you having to move your viewpoint from whatever you're doing. It takes a little practice, but it can become second nature surprisingly fast.

kingcomrade said:
It's also really hard to scout Terran. I guess you just have to suicide a fast overlord into his base.
Once you get to lair, you can morph your overlords into overseers. If you get the speed upgrade at your lair (I think it's called ventral sacs. Not 100% sure), they move fast enough that you can dart in and out without dying unless he goes massively antiair. Overseers can also spawn changelings, which will appear as a normal terran marine ince they get close to terrans. If you set your changeling to move to an enemy marine, he'll follow him around. If your opponent doesn't spot this, the changeling can feed you a lot of intel. :smug:
Otherwise, yeah, 100 minerals is cheap if it tells you what kind of units he's massing or wether he's switched tech so you know what to prepare for. For comparsion, the terrans scan ability costs him 300 minerals. (As this is what a single mule could've harvested for the same energy).

kingcomrade said:
Does anyone think attackfighter is even more butthurt about video games than skyway?

The only way attackfighter could be more butthurt is if he shat Bhut Jolokia.

Luan

Educated
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AWSMEXFW

Here are some replays from Codexia J-Land Branch, tentacle regiment. These are from my games earlier today and feature two 1v1, and a 2v2 for you to enjoy/critique/rage. I play random on the US server and generally have a game plan for each race yet still have a lot of cracks to fill in. Feel free to share any ideas how to up my game. Cheers.

Spoilarz:
Also in this pack, Toss has a pretty great game plan vs zerg imo. 2 gate pressure to put Z on the defensive. Good wall offs to safe tech to zerg obliteration army composition units. Zerg kinda has to choose between tier 2 techs, not enough resources to get both hydra and mutalisks in meaningful numbers. Game doesn't progress far enough to go into tier 3. With more expansions and gas on my part, I could probably fit in some infestor play. I was already put in a defensive mindset from the earlier rush despite not losing any drones, just kinda waiting for the 2nd wave that didn't come. I sacked an overlord to scout his main but it was too late. ITZ was coming. If you have any ideas (strategically) how to play that match better, i'm all ears.

DamnedRegistrations said:
Also, hydras rape void rays, wtf are you talking about. Adjusting for food costs (1 food = ~12 minerals) a hydra is 125/50 cost vs a void at 287/150. You should easily have 2.5 hydras per void. They have the same base speed (Hydras being way faster on creep), same range after the no brainer upgrade, and hydras will roflstomp them in dps and build time is almost half.

Yeah, you are right. For some reason I was thinking void rays only cost 100 gas each.

Still, the fact that they are ground based means that the Void Rays will often be able to enter from the side of your base and be fully charged before the hydras are in place to defend. If your opponent has a critical mass of about 5 charged void rays, he can pretty much wipe out anything if he abuses his mobility. Straight up he will probably lose a little more, but keep in mind that he's fighting inside your base and your own structures work against you to prevent your hydras from getting to him. And if they killed a few overlords on the way over, chances are you don't have the supply to immediately reinforce your army which can be a game ender.

Luan said:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AWSMEXFW

Here are some replays from Codexia J-Land Branch, tentacle regiment. These are from my games earlier today and feature two 1v1, and a 2v2 for you to enjoy/critique/rage. I play random on the US server and generally have a game plan for each race yet still have a lot of cracks to fill in. Feel free to share any ideas how to up my game. Cheers.

Spoilarz:
Also in this pack, Toss has a pretty great game plan vs zerg imo. 2 gate pressure to put Z on the defensive. Good wall offs to safe tech to zerg obliteration army composition units. Zerg kinda has to choose between tier 2 techs, not enough resources to get both hydra and mutalisks in meaningful numbers. Game doesn't progress far enough to go into tier 3. With more expansions and gas on my part, I could probably fit in some infestor play. I was already put in a defensive mindset from the earlier rush despite not losing any drones, just kinda waiting for the 2nd wave that didn't come. I sacked an overlord to scout his main but it was too late. ITZ was coming. If you have any ideas (strategically) how to play that match better, i'm all ears.

You weren't in a horrible position. I would have liked a roach+hydra composition a lot more, but pure hydra still had a fighting chance. You just made a few mistakes:

1. Killing your own rocks. Unless you wanted to attack, don't do this. An extra 30s to mass units could have kept you in the game.

2. As soon as you saw him moving out, you seemed to hesitate and not continue building an army for a while. You didnt seem to make any units from 15:00 to 16:30, at which point it was too late. With all those minerals, you probably could have thrown up a few sunken colonies too.

3. You started dancing your Hydra army in and out of the fight. That does not work with range 6 Hydra vs range 9 Collossi. I get that you were afraid to engage, but this just lets those colossi rack up huge damage. Yes, at this point he had probably won, but doing this sealed your fate. You should have just made a full on attack as best you could and hoped things went your way, not played around and weakened your hydra army.

4. When your final group of hydra did fight, it was in a tight space where most of them couldn't get in position to fire at once. This was very, very bad.

As soon as he was moving outside my base, I would have split my hydra 50/50 to my main and my expansion. Reinforce both groups with the hatcheries, and when he moves inbetween them attack from both sides. I don't know if you could have beaten him just by doing this, but you would have had a very good chance if you had caught him when the Colossi were in front and sniped them quickly. Had you saved your original zerglings as well, and reinforced them from the bottom expansion, you could have brought those in from behind too.

Another minor tip: It may have been better to get a spire instead of that +1/+1 upgrade for your hydra, since you didn't really know his build. I think you could have had a decent force of corruptors out to get rid of his colossi in time. If he lost his colossi he would have no chance. I'm guessing you went mass hydra because you were expecting void rays (considering their ridiculous power on the map and the fact that 95% of all protoss use void rays). A shame you didn't get to scout him better. His tech was all in a weird place so it was hard to find.

It was a fairly unusual build I haven't seen before. I can't fault you for losing to it. You probably should have scouted that it wasn't a proxy, but a FE build with a quick rush just to mess with you. Now that you have seen it hopefully you react better early on and start macroing up better.

Luan

Educated
You always have really great input! Yeah, splitting the army is a good idea to get a better concave. For a moment I was considering breaking my expansions lower rocks so I could come in from the bottom or go for a base trade. But I was still in too much a panicked mindset from seeing the colossus army to execute properly. Also good point on the rocks.

The spire simply for the option of corruptors is also a good idea that i'll probably use from now on when i'm in the dark regarding their tech. Corruptors have good HP and should be able to snipe with the corruption ability very well.

Yes, void rays are so powerful on that map. Ground travel distance is like that of an 8 player map, yet void rays can reach your base in less than 10 seconds. You really can't base trade vs voidrays either. Rays will burn your base in half the time. I should have gotten an overseer so I could really get some good scouting. It'd been worth it to see he really didn't have many units at all until later in the game.

In-game tests against Luan (Zerg) and Wholesale (Protoss) shows that Terran can win by making nothing but mass hellions and later some vikings. Throw in a Ghost or two against protoss if you want to be pro. I'm not even good at playing terran and it was pretty easy. Keep in mind both Luan and Wholesale are diamond players and specifically knew I was going hellions ahead of time.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dn1k5ms2wlgfp08

Mass hellions against 4 gate Protoss. Wholesale uses stalkers, which are supposed to counter hellions. Miserable failure. I end the game with about 2k worth of gas I'm not using, just to prove a point about how many ghosts/vikings/ravens/battleships I could be making. Ghosts + 1 barracks worth of marines is enough to hold off void rays, as proven in a later match.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2quupaknkq83n42

Luan builds pure roaches, which are supposed to counter stalkers. It works better, but mostly because he stays on the creep where roaches can move fast, as well as because he builds some sunken colonies to hold off my attack. My response is to just pump out more hellions then he can make roaches, and I get some vikings after I see he has muta (defended by loloverpowered turrets).

I assume protoss could counter with high templar + force field. I have no idea how zerg can even try to deal with this until they get ultralisks. By then I would probably be mining off half the map and be ready to make 200 supply worth of battlecruisers.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
8x7wuq.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
you should cast it on youtube, r00fles!

Luan

Educated
honto ni sugoku kawaii da yo poi!~

:3

I've recently started watching PsyStarcraft's channel. The man is quite humorous and skilled.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Just out of boredom I tried playing three 3v3 hard. I lost two because my allies just didn't build units. I'm starting to think I could get pretty high on the ladder just because players are so bad.

I'm Clayton 404 if anyone wants to add me.

We have been playing a plenty of 3vs3 matches, and found out that the winning strategy is always rush fast as fuck. Five+ barracks, hammer a, then some (that is, many) Zealots from the third player. The defense for that is the same thing, build units as fast as possible. So we decided to do this until we run into people who can stop it, so that we'll get to see if there's some alternative strategy.

These 3vs3 matches get pretty boring, no "now let's try something else" at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom