Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does deeper TES:Lore mean anything at all in the game

Drax

Arcane
Aka and Shor/Lorkhan are just extensions of that concept, I think.

I mean, probably not much difference, but I think Anu and Padomay and all that is like seriously primordial shit.. while Akatosh and Shor has more to play with on a character level and/or politics.

And with Aka/Shor specifically, it's not quite "good/evil". It's Nord/Men specifically. It's envelops the war of men vs elves. In the elves' eyes, siding with Shor is chaotic (especially to the Thalmor. That's why they want to destroy the universe... it's bringing things to Order for them).
Well, that's one of the interesting aspects of TES, the fact that the mythical is a palpable part of the present, not just a bunch of stories and legends.

In game, the two main choices to play with (imo) is the Civil War choice and Paarthurnax. Just how "Nord" do you wish to be. edit: Not that it matters, but just to answer the OP, I think this is where the lore blends well with gameplay. Just how far do you wish to live up to the Nord ideal.
I've always ignored the civil war plot, since it's implementation in-game barely classifies as a "beta". The Paarthunax issue has the logical fortitude of ME3's ending.

stray

Learned
I've always ignored the civil war plot, since it's implementation in-game barely classifies as a "beta". The Paarthunax issue has the logical fortitude of ME3's ending.

Yeah, it sucks. No mass genocides on the level of Pelinal. :)

But symbolically speaking, the Imperial choice is a chance to suppress the Nords. You could just "headcanon" the genocide part, I guess. But it's something Shor technically doesn't do. He defends the Nords. Yet at the same time, an Avatar of Shor would be insane... so you could kill the Nords if you want. Nothing wrong with the lore there either.

Paarthurnax also is just a symbolic choice. Protecting dragons is more of an Akatosh/Auri-El thing.

stray

Learned
Speaking of which, that's sort of walking the path of Septim, I think. He kicked Nord ass, built the empire, and wasn't totally unfriendly to Dragons. And now he's a new god, Talos. Maybe that's the path we should repeat. Who knows.

stray

Learned
That's why I keep my lore and gaming separate. :)

I just need a few bullet points and I can at least incorporate some of it (on a symbolic level, like I said. It's not great).

Not to derail too much, but I can't manage it in DAI. It's like they wanted to provoke interesting thought on religion in their lore too, but it just sucks. And the gameplay doesn't help with any distractions either. Somehow Bethesda's nonsense doesn't piss me off the same way.

Beastro

Arcane
I like Pelinal exactly because of that, because he's an individual driven mad by being, basically, the Jesus of a Polytheistic reality. This is best expressed when you take into account his missing heart (The Rebel, The Dead God) and the "red rage shaped diamond-fashion, singing like a mindless dragon" (The King, The Dragon), the dualities, his statement that "(O Aka) I watch you watching me watching back!" (The Witness) and the Empire that was to born (The Rebirth).

I dunno. All of this screams that he and other characters are PCs and his madness was from knowing he was some random players PC and being philosophical and poetic about the madnass that comes from being one. Shezzarine/Dovahkiin/Enantiomorph seem like one and the same thing, in-lore explanations for a PC possession and whether that person decided to play orderly or chaotically. And really, what else would you call most PC avatars but an agent of chaos and madness even if they were nice? Going from helping some people and being nice to them one moment and then doing erratic shit like killing their kids and playing with their corpses? This game also has in lore explanations for save/reload and if some other worldly being popped into ours, fucked shit up and then reloaded before it planning on playing nice, we'd still think he was a trickster being if we knew what he did the first time after he saved.

Notice how similar Pelinal helping Alessia out is similar to you helping Martin Septim out in Oblivion (and explains why such an individual would help him and Akatosh against Mehrunes Dagon and also be a murder happy member of the Dark Brotherhood, do whatever nasty shit you did to your little Adoring Fan, et al)?

Also could explain certain things like the Neravarine leaving for Akavir/other protagonists disappearing from later game lore. Maybe he and Vivec talked and realized PCs only invade and take over people on Tamriel and decided to be elsewhere the next time it hits?

stray

Learned
I dunno. All of this screams that he and other characters are PCs and his madness was from knowing he was some random players PC and being philosophical and poetic about the madnass that comes from being one. Shezzarine/Dovahkiin/Enantiomorph seem like one and the same thing, in-lore explanations for a PC possession and whether that person decided to play orderly or chaotically. And really, what else would you call most PC avatars but an agent of chaos and madness even if they were nice? Going from helping some people and being nice to them one moment and then doing erratic shit like killing their kids and playing with their corpses? This game also has in lore explanations for save/reload and if some other worldly being popped into ours, fucked shit up and then reloaded before it planning on playing nice, we'd still think he was a trickster being if we knew what he did the first time after he saved.

Also could explain certain things like the Neravarine leaving for Akavir/other protagonists disappearing from later game lore. Maybe he and Vivec talked and realized PCs only invade and take over people on Tamriel and decided to be elsewhere the next time it hits?

That crossed my mind before. The madness could just be the player's proclivity to not be either chaotic or orderly.. but always doing a little of everything. Especially in these games. The choices are shit in TES, but there's a lot of room for peculiar stances for your character, if you think about it.

edit: if it wasn't for Kirkbride, it'd just be shitty and none of this would work on that level. It'd just be an RPG that you simply did everything for no reason or just to complete things.

No. It barely impinged on Morrowind and ever since then the games have become more unrooted from the lore. It's basically this big blob of fanfiction that Bethesda tolerates being attached to their games but doesn't care about.

The player characters go out on vacations to nowhere so we don't have to deal with situations like meeting Sheogorath in Skyrim and wondering why he still looks like an imperial male when you played Oblivion/Shivering Isles as a Khajiit girl. (though they do have an explanation for this)

stray

Learned
The player characters go out on vacations so we don't have to deal with situations like meeting Sheogorath in Skyrim and wondering why he still looks like an imperial male when you played Oblivion/Shivering Isles as a Khajiit girl. (though they do have an explanation for this)

He's Breton, I believe. I don't know why. Maybe Sheo prefers to always be that way and consumes the mortal completely. Or maybe it blends well with the mad hatter persona and the tea.

laclongquan

Arcane
ITT morrowindlorefags try to suck each other dick in order to get themselves turned on...
Fail, of course.
Morrowind Lore is the ultimate turn off. Boring shit doesnt even begin to describe it.

How uneducated of you to say that, don't you know we are mining nuggets of wisdom from this derivative muddle of Hindu metaphysics?

>finishing Morrowind

images

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
>Completing Morrowind

Attempting to do a completionist playthrough was what kept me playing for years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom