Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dominions 4 announced

Johannes

Arcane
http://illwinter.com/dom4/index.html

Dominions 4 is under development. It has been under development for quite some time and it has come long enough that we feel certain that it will be completed. More information will come later.

Not any real info beyond that available yet... Beta testers saying it rocks but cannot disclose more yet. Looking forward to this.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hopefully they cut some nations and focus more on fleshing out separate mechanics for those that stay in. Having a lot of stuff is nice but having a little less of diverse stuff is even better

Johannes

Arcane
Hopefully they cut some nations and focus more on fleshing out separate mechanics for those that stay in. Having a lot of stuff is nice but having a little less of diverse stuff is even better
Not gonna happen, I've no doubt there'll be at least as many factions as in Dom3.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not gonna happen, I've no doubt there'll be at least as many factions as in Dom3.

I find that unlikely if they want to improve graphics at all. Making 20 same pixelated units is one thing but making 20 good looking unit models is another. Not to mention reflecting traits on unit look (like limb loss or regeneration or whatever, loads of status effects in Dom3).

And finally going for mass means no AI, like Dom3 ie game only fit for MP. I hope they avoid that. What fun is there in playing a blood fountain summoner if you know there is no challenge...

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Dominions 4 is under development.

louie-sama61j38.gif

Malakal: That's assuming that they'll even try to make each model distinct instead of just retexturing them (if they even go the 3D route to begin with - 2D is just fine if the alternative is shitty 3D models). And status effects necessarily won't need cosmetic changes, either.

It's all still sprites from what I hear. Not sure if all sprites are being re-done or only the old ones that date from Dom1/2.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's all still sprites from what I hear. Not sure if all sprites are being re-done or only the old ones that date from Dom1/2.

Yes but there are sprites and sprites. Some games have extremely high quality sprites that look awesome and some have shitty ones that look like putrid diarrhea. You get my point Im sure. Good art is expensive and I prefer quality over quantity.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What the fuck. Art is the least important thing for this game series.

And less nations? What the hell.

What next, you want to control the pretender directly in combat?

KoolNoodles

Arcane

And less nations? What the hell.

What next, you want to control the pretender directly in combat?

While all true, I wouldn't mind a little better sprites and 2D graphics. Better looking maps would be great too. I still need that immersion factor, helps when playing R'lyeh. That said I still enjoy Dom3, but if Dom4 is too similar in the graphics/sound/engine department(i.e. stuff that is harder to just patch in), then it will be hard justifying plopping down $60 for a retread.

DakaSha

Arcane
All i want is dom3, same factions, same shit, but with decent ai and less tedious micromanagement.
If they manage that with more shit then thats just as well.

Not gonna happen though

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I can't see the AI improving to a point that will make it challenging, but maybe it will be more entertaining.

DakaSha

Arcane
I can't see the AI improving to a point that will make it challenging, but maybe it will be more entertaining.

The thing is that in its current state it doesnt even pose a challenge on the hardest setting where it receives incredible resource bonuses.
Christ all they have to do is make it not choose random pretender setups so that it doesnt kill itself

KoolNoodles

Arcane
and here i was just about to buy dom 3

Well it's only $30 on Desura, whereas most people bought it for $60 ages ago, so it's not a bad deal at all. Dom4 probably won't be out for another year I'm thinking, and it will give you a chance to learn the ropes and have a game that honestly will stand the test of time regardless of sequels. Skip a few beers and treat yourself.

Johannes

Arcane
and here i was just about to buy dom 3

Well it's only $30 on Desura, whereas most people bought it for $60 ages ago, so it's not a bad deal at all. Dom4 probably won't be out for another year I'm thinking, and it will give you a chance to learn the ropes and have a game that honestly will stand the test of time regardless of sequels. Skip a few beers and treat yourself.
$30? Get it for 5 here: http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-DOM3A/dominions-3-the-awakening

Absalom

If they removed just the tedium from the battle order screen it would be a massive improvement

PorkaMorka

Arcane
If they can't fix the AI and single player, that's OK, I understand. But they need to acknowledge that and focus on fixing up multiplayer if that is the case. First step is bringing the interface up to standard so turns don't take 2-3 hours in the late game.

mondblut

Arcane

Not everyone is willing to endure other people (shudder) in their games. Functional AI is mandatory. Screw those PBEM weirdos, they can keep playing their DomPPP.

Also, diplomacy.

I would love some 4x-style province development, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom