Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dominions 4 announced

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
dom4_knights_of_ulm.png

:(

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It had been years since I last played, but the AI seems to be a bit improved version of Dom3 AI. It cheats shamelessly on higher difficulties.

Exxos

Educated
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally bought it and holy shit devs are autistic.. Worst interface since df and to setup a multiplayer game you need a separate pc ? what the fuck. PBEM ? back to 80s then

anus_pounder

Arcane
So I broke down and got the game, beyond RTFM and just playing it myself are there any LPs and shit like that I can read to get a handle on things?

Mortmal

Arcane
Finally bought it and holy shit devs are autistic.. Worst interface since df and to setup a multiplayer game you need a separate pc ? what the fuck. PBEM ? back to 80s then

An autistict interface for autistic geeks liking rpgs and stats , so many stats and strategies :bounce: ahem.. Get out of my lawn you filthy casuals ! Stay away from this horrible game with 8 bit graphics!
The worst thing that can happen is "streamlining" it .

Nikolaj

Educated
So I broke down and got the game, beyond RTFM and just playing it myself are there any LPs and shit like that I can read to get a handle on things?

Reading the manual really is a good idea, and so is playing through the tutorial. After that, you might want to take a look at the Dom3 wiki. Some rules, and a lot of items/spells/races have changed, but looking at some of the strategies for the different races should give you some idea of the considerations that go into creating a pretender and making a long term plan. Also, always watch the battle replays, they really help in figuring out what works and what doesn't and why. You can press 1-3 during replays to set the feedback level, and I recommend setting it at the highest level in the start, to better understand what's going on.

Other than that, I recommend choosing one or two races and playing around with them against the AI, to get a feeling for them. See if you can come up with a decent plan for those races considering both the early, mid and endgame. Then try an mp game using one of those races. You want to be decently prepared before doing mp, because a game can take a long time, and is a big commitment for everyone involved.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
WUT? don't rtfm. set ai to normal and make big battles ftw. I recommend playing as Sauron. Everything you need to know is in the tool tips for now. Or the fastest hint to beat the ai; protection and damage are the best stats. Ignore magic for first playthroughs.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Well, yeah. Sure.

That'll be all fine and dandy if you're not planning to play multiplayer. Or hard AI opponents.

You have to understand the mechanics if you want to actually win your games.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech

What do you need to get a handle on, out of curiosity?

Reading the manual covers most of your bases. After that, it's just a matter of learning what nations and spells do what, then building strats around them.

A good learning nation is something like Abysia in any age. Very fire and blood/death heavy depending on the age with strong mages in those fields. You can focus down a few paths with them, evocation and conjuration, branching out into magic item construction later on. They have no ranged units until the Late Age and all their troops wear very high protection armor, so early expansion is fairly easy.

Nikolaj

Educated
Here's something that kind of resembles a let's play. It's a co-op write-up featuring Tom Chick and the brain surgeon who wrote the Dom4 manual. It probably won't teach anyone too much about how to play Dominions 4, but it's entertaining.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Well, yeah. Sure.

That'll be all fine and dandy if you're not planning to play multiplayer. Or hard AI opponents.

You have to understand the mechanics if you want to actually win your games.
Go all scales and never build mages. Most nations can beat the hardest AI with this setup as long as its not in teams.

Nikolaj

Educated
The new manual (4.04) is up. I haven't finished reading it, but my first glance tells me that it has bookmarks, and index and a path booster chart (finally). The grimoire and manual have been consolidated into one document, but the bookmarks should make it fast and easy to find what you're looking for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom