Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 Play By Email - Game Complete!

KCR

Literate
I said it would be pretty funny. Not actually going to do it.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
By the gods, banishment is a nuclear bomb.

GFadlJ8.png

Bakhtor now is HART WIE KRUPPSTAHL :flamesaw:

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Game over, Caelum wins.

I'm going AI, no point in losing time in a doomed world.

Congrats Caelum, was good as long as it lasted :salute:.

When you start the next one, keep a place for me.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
wait wait wait .... what?

Nothing spectacular, sadly: Caelum betrayed our NAP and invaded in force with some stealth raiders. I cannot fight three wars at once, and so I concede. If a game becomes a chore, no reason to keep up, man.

I could bother to put up a desperate resistance to give some time to you others...but why bother? I tried to warn you dozens of times. Since turn 8. No one listened.

Enjoy your new 30+ provinces overlord. You will find that he's far less accomodating in diplomacy and warfare.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Before you go... please do a small AAR. I am too lazy for it. Come to think of it... you could stay in the game and be our chronicler. What do you say? ;)

Zibniyat

Arcane
Sadly, Bogarus is almost at its end. The cause is known. Since they have stalled 2 turns in a row and are under siege by Atlantis I recommend they be set to AI.

KCR

Literate
I messaged him asking if he was still going to play. No response.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Well, I had some free time. So we can travel again in the wonderful world of Dominions, where weird creatures fight against weirder creatures, where great Stone Crushers are sent to certain destruction and flying Caelians try to attack undewater provinces!

A bit of context. The battle here happened in Merovia, site of one of Atlantis' fortresses. Thanks to their fast surprise attack, Caelian troops quickly overran the Province Defense and thanks to their superior numbers breached the castle in a short time. The Atlantean army tried a desperate attack to relieve the fortress. An Atlantean defeat here could mean the death of a great number of mages and the loss of one of their richer provinces.

Report1_zps7580f604.png

Here we have the army of the Frozen Seas. The "bottom" flank is held by a congerie of Snow Warriors (reliable medium infantry with long weapons), Atlantean Infantry (UW recruits, average but cheap) Unsleeping (Armoured Shamblers, good Ogre-sized infantry) and Assartuts (the Frozen Seas Holy unit, good medium infantry with magic weapons). We can also see the main unit of the army, the Ice Guards, who also form the bulk of the center. Ice Guards are Heavy Infantry, shielded and very skilled. Plus, this battle is fought in Atlantis' dominion, so they have bonus to morale and thanks to the Cold Scale their Ice armour is incredibly tough. The "up" flank is composed by another group of Atlantean infantry plus a Mercenary band composed of Barbarian Horsemen, fast horse archers. The Mage contingent is quite big, but that is no surprise if we consider that this fortress is the seat of most of the Frozen kingdom researchers.

Report2_zpsc390fd04.png

Phew. Luckily, the Caelian Army is far simpler. We can see a trio of troops positioned in the front: maybe they are here to soak up some magic barrages or conventional weapons. The "real" frontline of the Caelians is composed of Raven Guards, stealthy, ambidextrous, heavily armoured flying infantry. Ambidexterity is a cool trait: that means they can fight with two weapons with reduced maluses. We can also see a group of mercenary spearmen and in the second line more than one hundred Earthbounds. I feel that a more specific view of those fuckers is in order.

Report3_zps4e5130db.png

Earthbounds are good Heavy Infantry and Sacreds. Blessed, they are very good. Strong, skilled, heavy armoured, built-in Reinvigoration - that means they tire a lot less in combat, and fatigue is the death of heavy infantry-. They're slow, but see...they are also crossbowmen. Heavy armoured crossbowmen: they can sit all day on a position and decimate the foe from afar. If the enemy is dumb enough or lucky enough to get in melee range, well, they are excellent even in that. They cost a lot, though, but 100+ crossbow bolts are Very Very Bad News.

Report4_zps53bba01f.png

First turn: the Raven Guards rush foward, their wings taking them directly in melee with the Atlantean center. The Earthbounds launch a deadly volley that succesfully kills a lot of their own troops, failing to cause damage to the cold-enhanced Ice Guards. Caught between this and the ice blades of Atlantis, the Caelian flying troops flee in short order.

Report5_zps23000250.png

The two mercenary formations face off each other: sadly for the advancing Barbarian Horsemen, the second volley of the Earthbounds causes a lot of damage. We can also notice the "up" flank of the Atlantean formation, quickly running towards the enemy.

Reports6_zps5e8b30aa.png

After a turn of combat, the Horsemen band had enough and starts fleeing: the "up" flank learns a new definition of pain as the Earthbounds unleash a rain of bolts causing lots of casualties. The flank attack has failed. However, those distractions have left the bulk of the Ice Guards and the "bottom" flank unscathed, and now they are almost in contact with the remnants of the mercenary spearmen. A second volley annihilates the "up" flank, but the spearmen and a weak line of undead troops raised by the Caelian necromancers fails to stop the Ice Guards. Contact!

Report8_zpse2a964ad.png

I'll admit, this was the moment I was looking for. With most of the mages are stuck on summoning undead/banishing undead, the battle rests upon the shoulders of the elite troops of the two nations. For several turns the warriors slash at each other, the Earthbounds with their reinvigoration plus the support of the crossbows of their companions not locked in combat, and the Ice Guards with their high morale and impregnable Ice armour. I'm a romantic, I love seeing my pixel men killing each other.

Report9_zps169c5af8.png

The Caelians fight well. The Atlanteans fight better. Slowly, the Earthbounds get pushed back, even if the Ice Guards suffer comparatively more losses. Some of the Antlanteans starts collapsing due to the fatigue. But the battle is decided when the Unsleeping of the "bottom" flank and some Ice Elementals, freshly summoned, slam into the weakened Caelians. Hit on both flanks and suffering heavy losses, after some turns of desperate resistance, the Caelian army starts to rout.

Report10_zps3b524131.png

The slow Earthbounds in usual conditions would have been easy prey: but the Ice Guards are exhausted and despite considerable damage , a good number of the Sacred caelians succeeds in fleeing the battlefield, with most of their commanders.

Closing words? Nice battle. Magic had an important role, but not too important. The better part of the mages stuck after a while in summoning/banishment, doing little for the ongoing struggle. What won the battle for Atlantis were the morale bonuses given by the commanders and the Cold dominion, that gave the needed protection against the Caelian crossbows. If my counterpart wants to give his opinion, I'm curious as usual in the views of a more experienced player.

Atlantis, out. And sorry for the typos/mistakes. I'm quite lazy.

[\spoiler]

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You forgot to compare casualties - gold/gems lost.

Also Im not seeing any battle wide buffs, no one got any?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Hey guys, sorry for disappearing there. I had to go out of town a little abruptly and had spotty internet connection at best. I'm surprised I am not dead yet. I staled two turns after all.....

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Is it just me or did that last turn host early? I was under the impression I had a bit more time.....

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I don't actually either? The non-routing Rout, I understand because of *undead* and different units routing, but how can you win.....when all your units are dead or gone, and my units are still there? And why did my Turan Sorcerer die when he was alive at the end? And why are the immortals still in the province? They were killed, and should be resurrected at the capital.......

So many questions, and I'm afraid the battle bugged out.

The details(excuse the mac, it's my gf's laptop):

Results

yr6pznt.png

Their prophet in the middle of dying(even with undying +8).

xzeIrN5.jpg

Their last Consul getting whacked.

efuCrgB.jpg

My Turan Sorcerer alive and well there, with their whole army routed and gone/dead.

mglvaKc.jpg

Meanwhile, the Consuls are still sitting there in the same province, despited needing to be resurrected back at the capital, losing any items, etc., and I was unable to pick up my lost items after a "victory", and had mystery deaths.

After watching the battle I was thinking "well we took some losses, but I think dealt a pretty good blow and it will take the Consuls some time to get back to the front", then I saw the battle results which differed from the actual battle.......

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
I don't actually either? The non-routing Rout, I understand because of *undead* and different units routing, but how can you win.....when all your units are dead or gone, and my units are still there?
Well, for starters none of my Leaders died... they teleported themselves out apparently? One of your priests also is with me now.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Lol, they most certainly died, you can see in the battle replay that consul getting whacked for 16 damage and going up in a puff of smoke. That is "dead". Now, they are immortal, so they would get resurrected in friendly domain(which it was), but only at the capital. The battle results screen won't count that as a "death" on the counter, but in battle they were "killed". And yeah, that priest was converted and ran across the map towards the end. That I understand.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Lol, they most certainly died, you can see in the battle replay that consul getting whacked for 16 damage and going up in a puff of smoke. That is "dead". Now, they are immortal, so they would get resurrected in friendly domain(which it was), but only at the capital. The battle results screen won't count that as a "death" on the counter, but in battle they were "killed". And yeah, that priest was converted and ran across the map towards the end. That I understand.
I wonder if I should submit that turn to Ilwinter. Someone has a email address?

Edit: Also, v.4.10 was just released!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom