Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM + DOOM II Rerelease by Nightdive Studios

randir14

Augur

Made by Nightdive and from what I've played so far it feels kind of half assed compared to their Quake 1 and 2 remasters. (They claim "enhanced visuals" but it looks the same as unmodded Doom to me.) The only real selling point is the new episode and the modernized online play.

9093805.png

:lol:This nu-doom dev uses controller to play og doom pwad. How retarded is ID software?

Made by Nightdive and from what I've played so far it feels kind of half assed compared to their Quake 1 and 2 remasters. (They claim "enhanced visuals" but it looks the same as unmodded Doom to me.) The only real selling point is the new episode and the modernized online play.

I think Doom 1+2 was available before on Steam for $10, so as far as I can tell this is just a free update for people who were already going to buy it on steam?

I'm not sure what their new source port would be useful for, we already have dozens of them to cover basically every specific niche you could want.

I think Doom 1+2 was available before on Steam for $10, so as far as I can tell this is just a free update for people who were already going to buy it on steam?

I'm not sure what their new source port would be useful for, we already have dozens of them to cover basically every specific niche you could want.

:smug:To promote Bethesda.net

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Create new threads:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2280/view/4334236563144772303
DOOM + DOOM II Release Notes
DOOM + DOOM II are back in a combined release with new content and features!
Developed by id Software and originally released in 1993, DOOM pioneered and popularized the first-person shooter, setting a standard for all FPS games. The critically acclaimed sequel, DOOM II, followed in 1994.

Now the definitive, newly enhanced versions of DOOM + DOOM II are available in a single combined release on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch, in addition to PC platforms and Game Pass (subscription required). This definitive enhanced version is our biggest effort yet with online cross-platform Deathmatch and Co-op for up to 16 players, community-published single-player mod support (with in-game mod browser), optimized renderer, accessibility options, optional modern IDKFA soundtrack by Andrew Hulshult (including brand-new DOOM II recordings) selectable alongside the original MIDI soundtracks, presented in up to 120hz in 4K on supported platforms
(see FAQ below for details)
and a brand-new episode “Legacy of Rust,” with new weapons and demons made in collaboration by individuals from id Software, Nightdive Studios and MachineGames.

Note: Existing owners of DOOM (1993) and / or DOOM II on any of the above platforms receive a free upgrade to the new combined game, and can still access their previously owned versions. (See FAQ below for details.)

DOOM_VanityImage_1920x1080-04-ESRB.png

Owners Receive
  • DOOM
  • DOOM II
  • Master Levels for DOOM II
  • TNT: Evilution
  • The Plutonia Experiment
  • No Rest for the Living
  • SIGIL
  • Legacy of Rust (a new episode created in collaboration by individuals from id Software, Nightdive Studios and MachineGames)
  • A new Deathmatch map pack featuring 25 maps (to accompany the existing 18) bringing the total Deathmatch levels to 43

Supported Languages (text only)
  • English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish

New Features and Improvements
  • New Features and Improvements
  • Online, cross-platform Deathmatch and co-op for up to 16 players
  • Community-published single-player mod support with an in-game mod browser
  • Chose to play the original MIDI DOOM and DOOM II soundtracks or the modern IDKFA versions by Andrew Hulshult (including brand-new DOOM II recordings)
  • Improved performance with multithreaded rendering supporting up to 4K resolution and 120 FPS on Xbox Series X|S, PC and PlayStation 5
  • Now on the KEX engine
  • BOOM source compatibility makes it possible for hundreds of community-created mods from the past 25 years to be published in-game
  • Accessibility options

Brand New "Legacy of Rust" Episode
id1.png

Created in collaboration by individuals from id Software, Nightdive Studios, and MachineGames, Legacy of Rust is the newest episode for DOOM, and the first official episode since DOOM II to feature new demons and weapons.

"Vassago's Rest", the ancient inscriptions called it. With the meaning of the name lost to time, it wasn't long before the interlopers began calling the land by another: "New Eden". Just like the Garden of old, mankind's exile from this newly settled realm was swift and brutal.

This remote region of Hell, overflowing in (un-)natural resources as it were, was almost entirely devoid of demonic presence. The Union Aerospace Corporation, never one to shy away from hubris and excess, learned the hard way that even the demons feared something greater, something deeper. When the Ones Beneath awoke, the UAC's crown jewel was swallowed in a cascade of blood and fire.

Three hours -- all it took to reduce New Eden to a sea of molten glass.

Three minutes -- all it took before the UAC's top brass played their ace.

Three seconds -- all it took for you to weigh the risks before accepting the job.

Your orders are clear: reclaim the lost base and preserve the UAC's Legacy.

Or die trying.

id Vault
Dive into the id Vault and explore concept art from DOOM + DOOM II’s development, early versions of monsters, weapons, items, props, FX, HUD + Menus and textures left on the cutting room floor.

Enhanced Cooperative Gameplay
New rules have been added to improve cooperative mode. If all players die, you will lose, and the level will restart. Respawn teammates by clearing all enemies in the area or finding a safe place to hide. Teammates will spawn near you, letting you get back into the fight quickly

Split-Screen Multiplayer
DOOM + DOOM II includes 4-player split-screen multiplayer on all platforms, with 8 player split-screen available on Xbox Series X|S and PC. Fight against your friends in Deathmatch or with your friends in Cooperative mode, available in seven campaigns

Online Multiplayer
Frag with friends and strangers alike across 43 different Deathmatch levels or play any of the episodes in co-op. Play alone or play online with local split screen players. LAN play is also supported.

CrossPlay Multiplayer
Play with friends no matter which platform they prefer. Crossplay is available on all platforms, so you can play DOOM + DOOM II with everyone. Join your friends quickly using our room code system for finding lobbies

New Deathmatch Map Pack
A new Deathmatch map pack featuring 25 maps was added thanks to community mappers: Luis “DX-Chain” Armacanqui, Luca Ciriaco, Ralph "Ralphis" Vickers, Matthew "RottKing" Cibulas, Colton "Arrowhead" Murchison, Andrew "Saar" Bouvé & Joshua "tokyopunchout" Boyle. This new pack compliments the existing 18, bringing the total Deathmatch levels to 43

Existing Enhancements
Upgraded visuals
Modern controller support including: Weapon carousel (for faster weapon switching)
Improved mouse and keyboard controls
Local split-screen deathmatch and co-op for up to 4 players
Featured community mods, including: REKKR, Syringe, Double Impact, Arrival, Revolution and over a dozen more…
60 FPS and native 16:9 support
Restored original in-game music using original hardware
Quick Save/Load support DeHacked mod support Game Pass (Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Microsoft Store [PC]) and xCloud Support (Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One)

About the Included Games

doom-2.png

DOOM (1993) - Original Version
The demons came and the marines died...except one. You are the last defense against Hell. Prepare for the most intense battle you’ve ever faced. Experience the complete, original version of the game released in 1993, now with Episode IV: Thy Flesh Consumed

doom2-1.png

DOOM II – Original Version
Hell has invaded Earth, and to save it, you must battle mightier demons with even more powerful weapons. This beloved sequel to the groundbreaking DOOM (1993) introduced players to the brutal Super Shotgun, the infamous Icon of Sin boss, and more intense FPS action

tnt-1.png

TNT: Evilution
The UAC relocated their experiments to one of the moons of Jupiter. A spaceship, mistaken for a supply vessel, was granted access. But when it got close to the base, demons poured out. All your comrades were slaughtered or zombified. This time it's not about survival. It's about revenge

plutonia-2.png

The Plutonia Experiment
Every effort has been made by the nation's top scientists to close the seven interdimensional Gates of Hell, but one portal remains open. Alone, you must infiltrate the ravaged base, defeat the demon Gatekeeper, and seal the last Hell portal before the undead take over the world

masterlevels-1.png

Master Levels for DOOM II
This expansion includes twenty additional levels, all with the same hell-spawned horrors and action of the base game. Each level was created by independent designers and supervised by id Software

sigil.png

Sigil
Created by id Software co-founder, John Romero, and released as an episode-sized mod consisting of 18 new maps, Sigil fits in between the timelines of DOOM (1993) and DOOM II. Baphomet, the gatekeeper of Hell, “glitched the final teleporter with his hidden sigil, whose eldritch power brings you to even darker shores of Hell. You fight through this stygian pocket of evil to confront the ultimate harbingers of Satan, then finally return to become Earth’s savior.”

id1-1.png

Legacy of Rust
Created in collaboration with individuals from id Software, Nightdive Studios, and MachineGames, Legacy of Rust is the newest episode for DOOM, and the first official episode since DOOM II to feature new demons and weapons. This 16-map Episode is broken up into two 8-map acts: The Vulcan Abyss and Counterfeit Eden

Accessibility Features
With this release, we are adding new accessibility features so DOOM + DOOM II can be enjoyed by even more players

PC Specs Minimum Spec (1080p/60 HZ)
  • Win 10 64-bit version
  • Intel Core i5-3570 @3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X @3.5 GHz
  • 8GB System RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 TI (2GB) or AMD HD 7750 (1GB)
  • 1920x1080 Resolution
  • Minimum 2GB free space on hard drive
  • High speed broadband connection required for online play

Recommended Spec (*4K/120 HZ)
  • Win 10 64-bit version
  • Intel Core i5-6600k @3.5 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.2 GHz
  • 8GB System RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB) or AMD RX Vega 56 (8GB) or Intel Arc A 280
  • 3480x216 Resolution
  • Minimum 2GB free space on hard drive
  • High speed broadband connection required for online play
*Compatible display required

FAQs
Where can I find these same release notes in more languages?
Check out these same Release Notes available in additional languages on the Slayers Club website here.

I already own DOOM or DOOM II. How do I access the new release?
Previous owners of DOOM or DOOM II on Steam will automatically receive the new version with a free update. It may already be updated by the time you read this!

How do I access the original versions of the game?
Steam users can use the Beta Participation property option to download and launch the original versions, or the last version that we launched in 2019 labeled "previous-re-release"

What are the supported resolutions and framerates on Steam?
PC: Maximum supported by video card/display

What input devices are supported?
Controller, keyboard, and mouse are supported on all platforms, including consoles. Split screen is available with mixed mouse/keyboard and controller

Do I need an always online connection to play the game?
DOOM + DOOM II only requires an online connection to play online multiplayer game modes. The single player campaigns and multiplayer via split screen, LAN, or ad-hoc multiplayer on Switch can be played while offline

Is the Steam controller supported?
DOOM + DOOM II does not support the Steam controller

How do I create a mod?
  • DoomTools, which offers a wide array of utilities that will be useful or critical towards creating a Doom wad file (requires Java)
  • Ultimate Doom Builder for level editing (requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.7.2)
  • SLADE for WAD file editing
...and become familiar with online DOOM community wikis, such as DoomWiki.org, and Discords, such as UDBs and SLADE’s.

How do I upload a mod?
Mod uploading is only available on PC. To begin the process, select a game from the main menu, like DOOM II for example. Then select "MODS" from the menu, and select "UPLOAD" and follow the instructions!

On the Minimap, why do the Kill, Item, and Secrets totals not increment for the Host when completed by another player?
For the host player, Kills, Items, and Secrets don't count on the Minimap if another player adds them. This is intended. The minimap shows only your total kills, items, and secrets, not the total for the entire party

DicLupa

Novice
Like the Quake remasters, these seem geared more for people who just want an out-of-the-box complete package with a few modern amenities and settings options. As such, I can't really complain. I didn't see an option for 'freelook' anywhere in the configs, and I actually think some credit is due for foisting the *old ways* onto people accustomed to a liberated Y axis. Would 'modern gamers' even know what to do with 2/3rds of the shit GZDoom allows you to tinker with?

This isn't going to replace me using source ports. But it's just convenient enough that I took a break from talky-talky-talky Disco Elysium to check it out and cleared the first two episodes last night. The remastered soundtrack feels a little hit-and-miss, but I do have a fondness several tracks that sound completely unchanged from Hushult's work released nearly a decade ago. 'Dark Halls' gets me every time. And you can always revert it to the original.

ferratilis

Magister
This is mostly for consoles, they added boom support so consoletards can now have access to some good wads, unlike only the limit removing ones like previously. If you're on PC, there are better ways to play Doom. Although it might be nice for someone lazy to set up gzdoom or other source ports, and plays a lot smoother compared to Unity ports.

Funny thing, they still keep the random sfx pitch option turned on by default, this is like fourth rerelease where they keep that stupid option. Chaingun sounds like someone farting at high speed. :lol:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Can't complain. It's free for anyone who has owned Doom on steam for the past 20 years and just like Nightdive's Quake 1 & 2 remasters it's a convenient package with all of the official expansions (and Sigil I guess, I wonder why it's there and Sigil 2 isn't, if we're counting Romero's solo efforts as official) in one place without having to fiddle with installs or source ports. Also without a doubt the least jank way to play Master Levels (the version of it in this makes the Master Levels a sequential episode), even if most of them are shit.

I really like the id Vault feature in this and in the Quake remasters, it's like a little virtual museum showing all the sprites and cut content stuff. I hope Nightdive do some Heretic/HeXen/Heretic 2/HeXen 2 stuff for id in the future.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
So are the Wolf3D secret levels still censored like in the previous Bethesda bundle? Or was it the version included in Doom 3 BFG, I don't remember.

ferratilis

Magister
So are the Wolf3D secret levels still censored like in the previous Bethesda bundle? Or was it the version included in Doom 3 BFG, I don't remember.
I just tested it, the censorship is still there, but less strict than in the BFG version. Swastika was replaced with whatever this is and Hitler's mustache has been shaved. The enemies still say "shutzstaffel" and "mein leben," as it was in the original as far as I remember.

Basically, the censorship here is the same as in Unity ports, but much less than the shitty BFG version which ruined not one, but three games.
FO31uAe.jpeg

nADjv4w.jpeg

Semiurge

Cipher
Riiiight.... Thank god GOG still has the original digital releases of both Ultimate Doom (Doom + Master Levels + TNT + Plutonia) and Doom II.

ferratilis

Magister
Riiiight.... Thank god GOG still has the original digital releases of both Ultimate Doom (Doom + Master Levels + TNT + Plutonia) and Doom II.
You have them on Steam as well, they're in the 'base' folder. This censorship is only in the rerelease. There's nothing stopping you from using your favorite sourceport with the original wads.

LOztODP.png

ferratilis

Magister
For those wondering why Sigil 2 wasn't included, it actually is, it's just not on the main menu. It's in their built-in wad browser. They've added quite a few wads over the years, but they were limited in terms of compatibility. Now that it's boom compatible, I expect something like Sunlust to be featured in the future.
j9fEzIb.png

Also, the new episode is decent, there are many new textures and several new weapons. Level design is also good, and encounters ramp up at a nice pace. If anything, this rerelease was a great excuse to fire up Doom again.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I just tested it, the censorship is still there, but less strict than in the BFG version. Swastika was replaced with whatever this is and Hitler's mustache has been shaved. The enemies still say "shutzstaffel" and "mein leben," as it was in the original as far as I remember.

Basically, the censorship here is the same as in Unity ports, but much less than the shitty BFG version which ruined not one, but three games.
FO31uAe.jpeg

nADjv4w.jpeg
I don't remember them censoring that stuff.
Maybe only for Germany?

ferratilis

Magister
I don't remember them censoring that stuff.
Maybe only for Germany?
Not only Germany, Doom 3 BFG Edition was heavily censored everywhere by completely changing the levels and enemies, as seen here:

When Doom Unity was released they returned the enemies and voicelines, but censored the swastika and Hitler's portraits.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Let us re-release old hits FOREVER

Total, utter, lack of originality in every industry imaginable

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom