Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM + DOOM II Rerelease by Nightdive Studios

I'm just waiting for the new levels to be uploaded so I can play them in modern source ports. I'm still waiting for this in regards to Quake II.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm not complaining as it's a free update - just zoomed through the first episode of the original game for fun and the speed is just incredible compared to modern games.

Took me a while to get used to the locked Y axis but after a while it all clicked and it was good fun, playing on the second hardest difficulty because respawning monsters sucks...I like the feeling of knowing I'm done before moving onto the next horde.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm just waiting for the new levels to be uploaded so I can play them in modern source ports. I'm still waiting for this in regards to Quake II.
Why would you need to wait? Just launch id1.wad from the rerelease folder with your source port of choice.
Also install Doom Explorer.
Makes things easier, not to mention being a cool and neat little utility.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Is still possible to play with keyboard and mouse or they removed them too?
That's the only option (with only horizontal mouse movement). No option for turning with keyboard like in the olden days, which is actually quite annoying when I want to play it on my laptop on the couch.

MaxPaint

Literate
The new metal soundtrack is whatever. The mandatory butt-rock OST in retro styled FPS is getting very tiresome at this point.

ghardy

Educated
Is this Kex engine simply middleware? I've seen that in many game listings.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not only Germany, Doom 3 BFG Edition was heavily censored everywhere by completely changing the levels and enemies, as seen here:

Don't forget the medkits!

IIRC there was a version where the medkits had the classical cross, except it was green because Red Cross threw a hissy fit.

In the video you can see a version where the cross has been completely replaced with a pill image, making the medkits look like a cyclopean mimic.

Wouldn't surprise me if there are other versions as well.

Gostak

Educated
Steam (and GOG apparently) unlisted Doom II that had not such a horrific license crap attached.
This is shit.

I could get Doom I "for free" now because only because I got Doom II there before they gave me this.
But with this shitty license/terms I won't.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Anybody tried the new levels yet?

These constant rereleases of games you've probably bought twenty times is annoying, but it is interesting that they keep upgrading the official versions to the point that now the only thing it lacks is the ability to play ZDoom/GZDoom wads.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I'm a very casual doom player and I'm finding the new levels pretty challenging. They're good looking and with decent layouts, if a little cramped. I do feel they're a bit too vertical though, considering that you can't look up/down and there are several places where you're getting shot from something you can't properly see (Except maybe a few pixels worth of feet).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
:lol:This nu-doom dev uses controller to play og doom pwad. How retarded is ID software?
I play OG Doom on my Retroid Pocket 4 Pro, which means a controller. And I have to say, maybe it's my controller settings, but it's a HELL of a lot easier with keyboard and mouse. If I'm going to play it on my NUC equipped TV, it would be on a controller as well.

By the way, if you have an Android handheld, Delta Touch is the way to go. It's $3 on the Play Store, but it's got a really nice front end and has a wide variety of source ports to choose from. Plays just about everything from Doom through Doom 3, minus things made with the Doom 3 engine that aren't Doom 3. That includes Heretic, Hexen, and Strife. It should play the new Legacy of Rust WAD as well, since GZDoom 4.12.x is one of the source ports it has.

What's kind of odd is that Bethesda has Doom and Doom 2 officially for Android, but they didn't release this new QuakeCon'24 version for Android. Or Linux. But there's versions of it for all the consoles, including the Switch.

This guy starts off talking about the Switch version and then compares it to Delta Touch for Android on an Abernic handheld around the 4:00 minute mark.

Basically, the censorship here is the same as in Unity ports, but much less than the shitty BFG version which ruined not one, but three games.
When you fire them up in GZDoom, it lists the IWADs as the Unity versions of those IWADS.

For those wondering why Sigil 2 wasn't included, it actually is, it's just not on the main menu.
I was kind of wondering this myself. It's not like it's that big and I don't think Romero would have minded it's inclusion since you already get sigil with it as well. I also kind of thought they might include Tim Willits' raven series in there, but it's absent as well. Would have been nice if they tossed in Doom 64, too, but that's more understandable.

If you pay Bethesda to play Doom
I think if you have Doom/Doom II on Steam or GOG, you paid Bethesda. I'm pretty sure it was under Bethesda that those games got put up on digital stores.

Let us re-release old hits FOREVER

Total, utter, lack of originality in every industry imaginable
I'd agree with this, but since Bethesda bought id Software, they've been including some pretty well made level expansions to both Doom and Quake. Not to mention that if you already own the previous release of the games, you get the new ones for free. No Rest for the Living was really good. I have yet to form an opinion on Legacy of Rust because the second map is too brutal for my rusty Doom skills. It's neat seeing new weapons and monsters in an official Doom product after three decades, though.

I'm a very casual doom player and I'm finding the new levels pretty challenging.
The second map of Legacy of Rust is a bitch. The difficulty ramp between the first and second map is a brick wall. It starts off with a nasty set of open monster closets, complete with the new Lost Souls that shoot those little fireballs. The second anything makes a noise, the swarm happens. Even if you survive the beginning of the map, you're probably going to be fairly banged up.

Now that said, Legacy of Rust is really well made. There's a LOT of cool stuff in it. There's quite a few things in the wads that look really good.

Dark Souls II

Educated
Shitposter
I think if you have Doom/Doom II on Steam or GOG, you paid Bethesda. I'm pretty sure it was under Bethesda that those games got put up on digital stores.
"Steam"? "GOG"? "Digital stores"? I first played Doom on a Windows 3.1 PC in 1997 and I didn't need any of those things to play it. Are you sure we're talking about the same game?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
"Steam"? "GOG"? "Digital stores"? I first played Doom on a Windows 3.1 PC in 1997 and I didn't need any of those things to play it. Are you sure we're talking about the same game?
I still have Final Doom with the box and CD. If I remember right, I also have Doom II in the box and it came on floppies. I don't think I ever bought Ultimate Doom in the box or even the jewel case version. I also have that D!Zone thing in the box with the CD. Having said that, I also have it on both Steam and GOG. And the Switch version now. I never saw the point in buying the Android releases of Doom and Doom II because they're $5 a piece, and I have Delta Touch(which rocks, I can't recommend that enough for Android handhelds).

I have swapped out the Unity release version of the Doom2.wad in my GZDoom directory. I guess I need to go through and see what Ultimate Doom wad files I have in my various digital store copies to find the original version of that. I'm not a huge fan of the censorship stuff.

Semiurge

Cipher
The second map of Legacy of Rust is a bitch. The difficulty ramp between the first and second map is a brick wall. It starts off with a nasty set of open monster closets, complete with the new Lost Souls that shoot those little fireballs. The second anything makes a noise, the swarm happens. Even if you survive the beginning of the map, you're probably going to be fairly banged up.

Is the difficulty similar to that of Plutonia Experiment? That one's first level had several chaingunners, revenants and mancubi, and very little ammo on ultra-violence difficulty. If you didn't seriously conserve it, there was no way to beat the level.

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
The new episode has to have been made with mouselook in mind. I scoured e2m2 for 10 mins looking for the next switch before accidentally noticing a platform you could drop down to from a higher point. You could absolutely not see that platform from the high point. And the place I noticed the platform from was a lava pit with a teleporter below the platform, so more of a space to facilitate a trap and not somewhere you were meant to go.
I'm now also stuck on e2m3 on legacy of rust, and can't find the blue key. Maybe I'm blind, idk.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom