Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM + DOOM II Rerelease by Nightdive Studios

Gromlintroid

Scholar
Yeah this was completely unnecessary.
I'll just stick with GZDoom and ZDL

ferratilis

Magister
People are always bitching about something. Nothing was taken away, all the original files are in the base folder, just like they always were.

Vo8FPNk.png

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Never been a big fan of GZDoom.
Though I do use it from time to time, mainly to play Heretic.
Chocolate is better, and so is Doom Retro.
I've gotten so used to mouse look, I don't think I can give it up at this point. Same thing goes with Voxel Doom, which goes very well with the mouse look.

People are always bitching about something. Nothing was taken away, all the original files are in the base folder, just like they always were.
That's interesting, because the GOG version of Doom+DoomII drops everything in the root directory of the install. doom.wad, doom2.wad, id1.wad, nerve.wad, plutonia.wad, sigil.wad, masterlevels.wad, and tnt.wad are all in there with the executable.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've got a stupid question, but does Brutal Doom work with Voxel Doom?
I have absolutely no idea, but if I were to hazard a guess, that guess would be 'No'. Brutal Doom changes too many properties related to the monsters for the transition over to voxels to be painless. New attack patterns, new defensive patterns, new properties due to melee combat playing a MUCH bigger role, etc.

But if you're going to give Brutal Doom a go, play v21. Avoid the upcoming v22, it goes overboard on Modder Madness.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I have absolutely no idea, but if I were to hazard a guess, that guess would be 'No'. Brutal Doom changes too many properties related to the monsters for the transition over to voxels to be painless.
I watched a video of Brutal Doom, v22 I think, and yeah. There's a LOT more frames of animation that are added with Brutal Doom. There's no way it would work with the Voxels since those frames don't exist in the Voxel Doom animations. Best case, it would flip between the sprite frames and the voxel model.

For those wanting to run "Legacy of Rust" in another sourceport, the wad you need is id1.wad located within the directory titled rerelease in your Nightdive installation path.
Furthermore, you only need id1.wad. The id1.wad has everything you need to play Legacy of Rust contained within it. The other id1-xxxx.wad files are modder resources.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
This release has crashed on me more than any other port. In fact, the only time I can recall Doom crashing was running a heavy feature mod in GZDoom or intentionally trying to crash it.

Semiurge

Cipher
I'd be cool if someone made remixed versions of Doom 1 and/or 2 with the new critters and weapons. Hell, i'd like someone to make the nightmare imps and mother demon from '64 for them too along with the unmaker.

This should go both ways, someone should add the missing enemies to Doom '64. It was missing basically all Doom 2 additions except for the pain elemental, and only because of Nintendo 64's technical limitations.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread, but if you owned these games already, this is a free upgrade... that superimposes the old versions. I can no longer download the original installers on my GOG account.

Honestly, this is bullshit. There's no reason to not let us download the old versions (and several "remastered" retro games on GOG come with them). Yet another reason to hate Bethesda, I guess, but it's not like I didn't have plenty of them already. Thankfully, I had already downloaded the installers and, for those who hadn't, piracy is a thing.

EDIT: I jumped to conclusions. See posts below.

Last edited:

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
They released Doom 1 and Doom 2 on consoles a few years ago, with trophies/achievements, so I assumed they might add them to the Steam releases at some point, with controller support (for whoever needs that). Because Quake 1 and Quake 2 on Steam are now the modernised versions. The nice thing is that all previous owners just get it for free (when many companies, let's face it, would charge for any re-release).

However, minor criticism, they made Doom 1 and Doom 2 into a single game, so my Steam list now reads:

- DOOM
- DOOM + DOOM II
- DOOM II
- DOOM Eternal
- etc

This is after they previously cleaned up Doom and Quake entries about a year or two ago.

Fucking autism or not, I wish these people would clear up and just stick to one format for naming things.

This is how it should read, to look best:

- DOOM 1
- DOOM 2
- DOOM 3
- DOOM 64
- DOOM
- DOOM Eternal
- DOOM The Dark Ages

Make use of the Steam formatting assholes.

ferratilis

Magister
Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread, but if you owned these games already, this is a free upgrade... that superimposes the old versions. I can no longer download the original installers on my GOG account.

Honestly, this is bullshit. There's no reason to not let us download the old versions (and several "remastered" retro games on GOG come with them). Yet another reason to hate Bethesda, I guess, but it's not like I didn't have plenty of them already. Thankfully, piracy is a thing.
That's a GOG problem. On Steam, not only that they didn't take away the old version, they fixed some of the old problems by repackaging it with DOSBox Staging, and they slapped an optional CRT filter on top.

KafkaBot

Scholar

Honestly, this is bullshit. There's no reason to not let us download the old versions (and several "remastered" retro games on GOG come with them). Yet another reason to hate Bethesda, I guess, but it's not like I didn't have plenty of them already. Thankfully, piracy is a thing.
That's a GOG problem. On Steam, not only that they didn't take away the old version, they fixed some of the old problems by repackaging it with DOSBox Staging, and they slapped an optional CRT filter on top.
I might actually have jumped the gun on this - I think the installer comes with both the old AND the new versions in a single file, given what's said in the game's updated description. I'm downloading it right now to check.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The same thing with the Switch. If you bought Doom and Doom II's original Switch releases, you still have access to them and get Doom+DoomII for free.

After checking, it's the same thing on GOG. I have access to everything "Doom" I've ever purchased.
gog_doom.jpg

I have no idea what "Doomdark's Revenge" is, but I own it apparently.

Semiurge

Cipher

I might actually have jumped the gun on this - I think the installer comes with both the old AND the new versions in a single file, given what's said in the game's updated description. I'm downloading it right now to check.

It would be interesting to know if the classic Doom 2 contained within is also censored.

KafkaBot

Scholar
After checking, it's the same thing on GOG. I have access to everything "Doom" I've ever purchased.

I have no idea what "Doomdark's Revenge" is, but I own it apparently.
Yep, and I just confirmed that the new install does come with the old versions. I jumped the gun on this and will be editing my previous post accordingly.

It would be interesting to know if the classic Doom 2 contained within is also censored.
I'm about to head out, but I'll check later if no one has done it yet by the time I come back.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have no idea what "Doomdark's Revenge" is, but I own it apparently
It was a free giveaway some years ago. I got it too.
'Doomdark's Revenge' is totally unconnected to Doom. Every game with the word 'Doom' is present in that screenshot.

*clears throat*

In the early days of the ZX Spectrum microcomputer, a brilliant coder named Mike Singleton wrote a game called 'The Lords of Midnight', which is a big-ass strategy game (for a Speccy-title) where you ride around the land, recruiting nobles and their armies, with the final goal of overthrowing the evil Lord Doomdark.

Doomdark's Revenge is the sequel to that game where the tables are turned, featuring some upgrades and improvements.

Sadly the third game in the series, 'The Eye of the Moon' got stuck in development hell and was never released. Ten years after Doomdark's Revenge, 'Lords of Midnight: The Citadel' was released for the IBM PC, which was a somewhat modern take on Lords of Midnight, but by that time the boat had long sailed.

Singleton wrote a bunch of cool and groundbreaking games, including the Midwinter-games, the Tolkien-based adventure game "War in Middle Earth", the over-ambitious 'Starlord' for the IBM PC, and stayed in the gaming industry to work on modern-era titles such as Indiana Jones & the Emperor's Tomb.

Sadly Mike Singleton died from cancer in 2012. In an almost unprecedented move by a gamer coder, Singleton owned the rights to almost all of his games, now passed on to his family. They agreed to have LoM+DR released for modern audiences sometimes in the past decade.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'd be cool if someone made remixed versions of Doom 1 and/or 2 with the new critters and weapons. Hell, i'd like someone to make the nightmare imps and mother demon from '64 for them too along with the unmaker.

This should go both ways, someone should add the missing enemies to Doom '64. It was missing basically all Doom 2 additions except for the pain elemental, and only because of Nintendo 64's technical limitations.
It had the Mancubus and the Arachnotron. It's actually missing one Doom 1 enemy as well, the Spider Mastermind.

Brutal Doom 64 actually did add these enemies to it.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I finished LoR and No rest for the living in this rerelease and am now going through Master Levels of Doom 2, which i never actually played through before beyond one or two levels.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Every game with the word 'Doom' is present in that screenshot.
Yeah, that's why I put "Doom" in quotes in my post. What's kind of odd is that Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal aren't for sale on GOG. I'm guessing that has something to do with Bethesda.net and DRM. I'm also guessing the "Enhanced" versions of Doom and Doom 2 are the Unity engine releases?

ferratilis

Magister
I finished LoR and No rest for the living in this rerelease and am now going through Master Levels of Doom 2, which i never actually played through before beyond one or two levels.
That must feel like going from gourmet food to eating from a dumpster. While LoR and NRftL are genuinely good sets maps, Master Levels are some of the worst I've ever played.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I finished LoR and No rest for the living in this rerelease and am now going through Master Levels of Doom 2
I'm trying to knock the rust off my Doom skills before I go back to Legacy of Rust. I did fire up Master Levels, and that one is a bit tough too. Doom 2 is a bit easy for the most part, so I've been swapping between Eviternity, Raven(Tim Willits), and Perdition's Gate. I was trying Plutonia, but Plutonia seems a lot more like a series of very specialized scenarios tossed together to make a map, over and over again.

Master Levels are some of the worst I've ever played.
Have you tried any of the Doomworld Comunity Project wads? The only one I've tried was 2012, and it was pretty rough.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
That must feel like going from gourmet food to eating from a dumpster. While LoR and NRftL are genuinely good sets maps, Master Levels are some of the worst I've ever played.
I can't say I disagree, Lol. I'm mainly playing through it out of curiosity as an avid Doom player (it being a major official release) and for the chievo of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom