Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM + DOOM II Rerelease by Nightdive Studios

DicLupa

Novice
That's ok Stephen Kick. You've lost my business and you deserve to go down in your own with your smug self-righteous opinions.

I won't give Nightdive studios a red cent ever again. Fuck'em.
Very informative. I have a personal policy of not scouring the net for statements like this because life is short and I would end up angry at everybody. But if it does cross my desk, I can't unsee it or forget it. And in cases like this, I do regret my aforementioned policy because I would have hit the blacklist button sooner.

Into the shit heap Nightdive goes.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm playing Sigil* again for the first time since it's release in this update and the difference in quality between this and master levels is like night and day. I never played Sigil 2, so I'll get to to that eventually.

*somehow the chievo for Sigil is rarer than Plutonia for some reason.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The crazy thing about Master Levels is that there were maps that were rejected! Imagine how bad those must've been.
I'm dragging my heels on Master Levels because I keep getting annoyed and just playing another wad. I think I'm on the fourth map, but I really got hot under the collar when I was at the end of the third map. I flipped a switch, so decided to see what was on the other side. Then the block that the switch lowers reset for some reason, which blocks the teleporter that you're supposed to take before you hit the switch. So, I got to enjoy re-navigating through everything I just did to go back to that teleporter. You know, if you've just finished an area of a map, why the Hell would you ever block that section off from the way you went out?

It's just so bad. It's sad when you struggle to get through the commercially released megawad and have to cleanse yourself with user made megawads.

(which now as cross platform connection, so PC ubermensch can rejoice in crushing console peasants in a more personal manner)
GZDoom is cross-platform multiplayer.

That's ok Stephen Kick. You've lost my business and you deserve to go down in your own with your smug self-righteous opinions.
I love their willingness to prove what the original person was saying about them.

I never played Sigil 2, so I'll get to to that eventually.
If you get a chance and haven't played it, Tim Willits released a map series for Doom 2 before he worked at id Software. I mentioned it with a link in this thread. It might just be me, but I like those maps better than Sigil and Sigil 2. They're somewhat challenging at times, but they're very non-linear.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
There's one map in Master Levels where you have to go across an invisible ledge over a lava pit in order to reach an area with a hidden panel for a Yellow key. Honestly, if it wasn't for video guides on youtube I'd still be only halfway through that shitfest.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm playing Sigil* again for the first time since it's release in this update and the difference in quality between this and master levels is like night and day. I never played Sigil 2, so I'll get to to that eventually.

*somehow the chievo for Sigil is rarer than Plutonia for some reason.
Sadly Sigil 2 is more of the same as Sigil 1, I was hoping that Romero could grow beyond whatever place he finds himself in now, but he seems to have developed it into a rut. It's not a bad place, it's just Sigil is all about lining up shots so you can take potshots at eyeballs, know what I'm saying?

If he's going to do a Sigil-wad for Doom 2 there might be some hope for growth, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

ghardy

Educated
Very informative. I have a personal policy of not scouring the net for statements like this because life is short and I would end up angry at everybody. But if it does cross my desk, I can't unsee it or forget it. And in cases like this, I do regret my aforementioned policy because I would have hit the blacklist button sooner.
Don't these companies care that they lose business by having their people in charge be loose cannons? Or do they believe any publicity is good long-term?

I find it hard to believe the whole lot of them is ideologically rigid enough to care about principle so much.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
There's one map in Master Levels where you have to go across an invisible ledge over a lava pit in order to reach an area with a hidden panel for a Yellow key. Honestly, if it wasn't for video guides on youtube I'd still be only halfway through that shitfest.
Plutonia and either Plutonia 2 or the first Plutonia Revisited Community Projects has an invisible bridge, IIRC. It's part of the map, so you have to cross it in order to finish it. I could understand an invisible bridge on the way to a secret, but I'd still consider it "cheap". In the defense of Plutonia and whichever continuation of it that has that invisible bridge, you can figure it out because the demons will walk out on it.

Don't these companies care that they lose business by having their people in charge be loose cannons? Or do they believe any publicity is good long-term?

I find it hard to believe the whole lot of them is ideologically rigid enough to care about principle so much.
I honestly don't think these people have the ability to think rationally anymore. I remember Michael Jordan being asked why he never discussed politics, and his answer was, "Because the other side buys shoes too." The problem is that social media exists now, and these people are so addicted to the dopamine hits they get from likes and shares that they lose sight of why people follow them in the first place. No one follows Stephen Kick to hear about how insane his politics are. They're following him to hear about the games he's wanting to sell. So, he ends up pissing off at least half of his consumer base chasing those likes and shares.

MaxPaint

Literate
Tried playing with a gamepad just to test the waters and it's harder then I thought it would be, considering the auto aim and lack of vertical axis.

ferratilis

Magister
Tried playing with a gamepad
HARAM.jpg

Semiurge

Cipher
TNT: Evilution had one map that I still remember: Wormhole (MAP04). The expansion had custom music too, unlike Plutonia, and this map had a very good track.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Plutonia and either Plutonia 2 or the first Plutonia Revisited Community Projects has an invisible bridge, IIRC. It's part of the map, so you have to cross it in order to finish it. I could understand an invisible bridge on the way to a secret, but I'd still consider it "cheap". In the defense of Plutonia and whichever continuation of it that has that invisible bridge, you can figure it out because the demons will walk out on it.

I honestly don't think these people have the ability to think rationally anymore. I remember Michael Jordan being asked why he never discussed politics, and his answer was, "Because the other side buys shoes too." The problem is that social media exists now, and these people are so addicted to the dopamine hits they get from likes and shares that they lose sight of why people follow them in the first place. No one follows Stephen Kick to hear about how insane his politics are. They're following him to hear about the games he's wanting to sell. So, he ends up pissing off at least half of his consumer base chasing those likes and shares.
Yeah, i remember either the second or third map of Plutonia having an invisible bridge, but it wasn't the kind of cryptic bullshit like that example in master levels.

One community megawad I need to get around to playing is Back to Saturn X 2. I played the original some years back and it was pretty enjoyable.

Gostak

Educated
Steam (and GOG apparently) unlisted Doom II that had not such a horrific license crap attached.
This is shit.

I could get Doom I "for free" now because only because I got Doom II there before they gave me this.
But with this shitty license/terms I won't.
What about the license?
It says lots of shit I would not want to agree to because either how it is too open for interpretation at times (they will of course lay that out to their advantage when push comes to shove) or already quite clear that it would not sit well with me
the way it is obviously meant to be understood.

However stinky Steam forces one to actively agree before starting the installation ...
So, it's definitely a no-go on that platform for that shit for me.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tried playing with a gamepad just to test the waters and it's harder then I thought it would be, considering the auto aim and lack of vertical axis.
I play Doom on my Retroid Pocket 4 Pro, which has a standard XBox Style controller built in, and it's way harder with a controller. Same thing when I'm playing Doom on my TV with an 8BitDo controller. A mouse and keyboard is honestly how Doom should be played if you want the best possible translation of your skill.

Yeah, i remember either the second or third map of Plutonia having an invisible bridge, but it wasn't the kind of cryptic bullshit like that example in master levels.
Yeah, like I said, it's not hard to figure out because the monsters will walk out on that invisible bridge. They were also nice enough to put two markers at the beginning and end of the bridge to let you know where it is once you realize there IS an invisible bridge. And the bridge is a straight run. I guess they wanted an invisible bridge for aesthetic, I blame Indiana Jones for this, but they went out of their way to make it incredibly fair for the player. It's kind of hard to call it "bullshit" given they put monsters on the far side which will definitely just walk out on it and those markers.

One community megawad I need to get around to playing is Back to Saturn X 2. I played the original some years back and it was pretty enjoyable.
I recently watched MtPain27's "Dean of Doom" series that covered the first one. I snagged it the second I watched his review. I have yet to have seen his review of the second one, though.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Neither wanted nor needed. Nightdive is turning into Beamdog.
https://archive.ph/Gj2Fw

Yeah, the even hate Donald Trump and make sure to boycott anyone who supports Trump

https://nichegamer.com/nightdive-studios-boss-boycotts-company/

“Donald Trump was shot. I don’t care what your political views are but the hate for Trump and his supporters has gone too far,” Sticker Mule cofounder Anthony Constantino said in a statement sent out to their customers and on social media.

He added, “People are terrified to admit they support Trump. I’ve been scared myself. Americans shouldn’t live in fear. I support Trump. Many at Sticker Mule do. Many at Sticker Mule also support Biden. The political hate needs to stop.”

The head of Nightdive Studios, Stephen Kick, promptly voiced his rejection of their message by announcing he is boycotting the company and likely not using them for their products anymore:

“You’ve lost my business,” Nightdive Studios head Stephen Kick said. “Anyone who supports this monster deserves to go down with him.”

I won't give Nightdive studios a red cent ever again. Fuck'em.
People are buying this shit? Aren't we all legacy customers who get it free because we bought it for less than a dollar 10 years ago?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
People are buying this shit? Aren't we all legacy customers who get it free because we bought it for less than a dollar 10 years ago?
I snagged it for the Switch. I wouldn't have had I known about the whole Stephen Kick thing.

Yeah, the only shooter I've ever finished with a gamepad was The Darkness 1 and it was a miserable experience.
The only first person shooter I think I've ever played that was better on a controller was Borderlands, but I just really couldn't get in to that game at all. Doom 2016 isn't bad with a controller either, but I prefer OG Doom to NuDoom.

Although, I will say this. I've been watching a lot of videos of people playing Doom lately. People who are WAY better than me at it and the one thing I've noticed is how much more they move than I do. They seem to always have their finger on the W key and seem to only use the S key when opening doors or flipping switches/collecting keys because they know a trap is getting sprung. NuDoom seems to encourage the way a lot of the best players of OG Doom seem to operate. Even when dodging Imp and cacodemon fireballs, they move diagonally forward.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I snagged it for the Switch. I wouldn't have had I known about the whole Stephen Kick thing.

Yeah, the only shooter I've ever finished with a gamepad was The Darkness 1 and it was a miserable experience.
The only first person shooter I think I've ever played that was better on a controller was Borderlands, but I just really couldn't get in to that game at all. Doom 2016 isn't bad with a controller either, but I prefer OG Doom to NuDoom.

Although, I will say this. I've been watching a lot of videos of people playing Doom lately. People who are WAY better than me at it and the one thing I've noticed is how much more they move than I do. They seem to always have their finger on the W key and seem to only use the S key when opening doors or flipping switches/collecting keys because they know a trap is getting sprung. NuDoom seems to encourage the way a lot of the best players of OG Doom seem to operate. Even when dodging Imp and cacodemon fireballs, they move diagonally forward.
My girlfriend commented on how twitchy I am in games because I play a lot of FPS. She was watching me play Elden Ring and noticed I never stopped strafing ever. It's a habit from old FPS games where you have to move constantly or get fucked.

A lot of console based FPS play better on controller like you said with Borderlands. The importance is on how much depth there is outside of shooting. Games like borderlands and Halo have vehicle segments that control like shit on keyboard and mouse. Same way I wouldn't want to play a cover shooter with keyboard and mouse. It just doesn't flow right and the additional aiming benefits aren't worth the loss of fluid controls.

Fun fact about SNES Doom. They lock your inputs when you strafe. It makes it completely impossible to move properly. It's one of if not the hardest versions of Doom without mods (but why would you?) to fix the movement.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is there a megawad for Doom 2 that's basically Doom 1's eps 1-4 with SSG and D2 enemies?
The campaign included with Brutal Doom comes close to this, though it skips Ep 4.

Start in a military base.
Reach Earth via experimental portal.
Fight in an urban environment.
Reach a portal to Hell.
Take the fight to the demons.
Fight a (revamped) Icon of Sin.
All in 32 maps.

Though it's obviously meant for Brutal Doom. It's fun if you haven't tried it.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
So I just watched a bit of the recent D00M 1&2 remaster on Youtube, and whatever they did to it causes symptoms of sim-sickness for me; something never present for me in the originals.
So I've no incentive to play the remaster—if I can't play it for more than fifteen minutes. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom