Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM + DOOM II Rerelease by Nightdive Studios

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So I just watched a bit of the recent D00M 1&2 remaster on Youtube, and whatever they did to it causes symptoms of sim-sickness for me; something never present for me in the originals.
So I've no incentive to play the remaster—if I can't play it for more than fifteen minutes. :(
Sounds like you've got Remaster Fatigue maybe?
It's alright.
Getting sick of this shit already...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Fun fact about SNES Doom. They lock your inputs when you strafe. It makes it completely impossible to move properly.
This probably has a lot to do with the limitations of the port. They are re-releasing a new version of vanilla Doom for the SNES using the FX3 chip through Limited Run Games that supposedly has all four of the Ultimate Doom episodes and runs at 60fps.

I hate Limited Run Games, though. But it's still neat.

The campaign included with Brutal Doom comes close to this, though it skips Ep 4.
That's odd. When I fire up Brutal Doom v21, it loads up the standard Doom 2 maps.

So I just watched a bit of the recent D00M 1&2 remaster on Youtube, and whatever they did to it causes symptoms of sim-sickness for me; something never present for me in the originals.
There's something weird about the QuakeCon'24 Doom Kex Engine release on the PC that I've seen several people mention. A lot of people are saying it's input latency, but others have said that the physics seems a little off like the speed at which you slow down and stop after you let off the keyboard and starting back up seems a little quicker as well. I'm guessing that's what's causing your motion sickness.

Dumb question, but have you tried looking at videos of people playing it on consoles and does it do the same thing? Because I've heard that the consoles don't seem to have the weird motion, but others say it does.

Sounds like you've got Remaster Fatigue maybe?
I'm okay with a new wad. But I can't really play the new engine, which is fine. I like GZDoom, and GZDoom seems to have been ported to more of the platforms I use. I would like a ZDoom for the 3DS, though.

randir14

Augur
There is also some kind of interpolation issue when rotating the camera, Digital Foundry mentioned it in their video about the port but I don't notice it myself.

SilentMRG

Novice
Nightdive need to hire Paul DeBruyne (skillsaw) to make more Heartland-style megawads or pwads:

This first map is incredible! And there's even a touch of Serious Sam near the end. By far the best pwad from Eternity Engine. It also only works on it, and of course, I think it currently also works on the KEX Engine.

Regarding this Nightdive re-release, I tested the DOOM 1 and 2 iwads on the Chocolate Doom source port, which was recently updated, and unfortunately, they didn't work. I think the Nightdive people messed with Doom's iwads, which is weird. Well, I still have my copy of the GOG DOSBox version, so I got the 1.9 iwads from there and ran them in Chocolate. For those who ask where there are untouchable Doom iwads, it is in the DOSBox version of GOG. Unity version was also changed and some things were censored. I read somewhere that the Nightdive also censored, and it looks like a map from the first Doom was cut, but I have not been able to confirm this until now.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Probably trying too hard here but..

Codex community WAD when?
I think the problem would be that I doubt we have many people here who make Doom wads. I haven't made a wad file in about two and half decades, and that was with WadEd, which was a DOS based Doom map maker. I downloaded Ultimate Doom Builder the other day, but haven't checked it out.

There's a few other problems, like getting people to agree on which Doom to make it for. I'm guessing most people would say Doom 2. Then there's the question of making and following a general theme for the levels or just anything goes?

Maybe this weekend, I'll play around with Ultimate Doom Builder some.

SilentMRG

Novice

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I played SNES doom and Doom 64(on the actual '64) with pads back in the day before i was a PC gamer and played proper Doom.
I played the SNES and 32X versions before owning a computer. It wasn't PC perfect, but it was good times. FWIW, the 32X version has been hacked to add all the original shit that was cut back into the game, improve performance, add in split-screen co-op and deathmatch, and a shitload of other additions.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I played SNES doom and Doom 64(on the actual '64) with pads back in the day before i was a PC gamer and played proper Doom.
I played the SNES and 32X versions before owning a computer. It wasn't PC perfect, but it was good times. FWIW, the 32X version has been hacked to add all the original shit that was cut back into the game, improve performance, add in split-screen co-op and deathmatch, and a shitload of other additions.

Love Sega lord X. Wish there were more tubers like him.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Played through the entirety of Ultimate Doom and now at the last couple of maps for Doom 2 and these games are just as good as they were back then when i first played them in the 90s, if not better. These are classic gems. :love:

Will play Evilution next after i finished Doom 2.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Also Valiant and Back to Saturn X (some of the maps there).
Here's another one of Skillsaw's megawads, with heaps of praise from MtPain27:

I've actually been using this Dean of Doom series to collect decent megawads lately.

Played through the entirety of Ultimate Doom
I've also been playing Ultimate Doom since I never finished the new episode that made it "Ultimate". I will say this, first - I need to stop wad hopping and just play one all the way through. It's really hard to get back to a wad I wasn't having a good time with. Master Levels, I'm looking at you.

Second, WOW there's a lot of bad design choices in the original Doom. I can understand that they were a shareware company at the time, though. Basically, highly skilled amateurs. The part that gets me is that there were a few things I hated in Doom II also, like the platforming stuff and the tight rope walks. There's more of those things in Doom, but what gets me is that Master Levels seems to actually have more of that stuff than Doom II.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm currently going through the Extermination Day-campaign for the first time in some years. It's currently marked as being in Beta, and it shows. Plenty of quirky stuff about.

One map in particular, the first urban map (the one with all the fire escapes) is only in a 'playable'-state. Either I missed something, or the red key isn't found in the map, meaning you can't find all the secrets fair and square. There's also a sequence that seems to require... hopping between fire escapes? Around corners?

That said, there are also some maps there that are an absolute joy to play through. The Bio-Labs (when you open the doors and see all those things come charging at you), the suburban one with all the breakable fences (suburban warfare is wild, yo) and the urban map with the gas station was also fun, except for getting into the actual gas station itself.

Not your conventional Doom gameplay, but a fun ride nevertheless.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Encoutered a bug in the Evilution secret map "Pharoah" where 50 of the enemies don't spawn in toward the end. I'm not sure if that was in the OG version or what.

I do know that the OG version had an issue where the yellow key was flagged as "multiplayer only", which only utterly baffles me, as despite how bad Master Levels is, not even they fucked up like that.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Encoutered a bug in the Evilution secret map "Pharoah" where 50 of the enemies don't spawn in toward the end. I'm not sure if that was in the OG version or what.

I do know that the OG version had an issue where the yellow key was flagged as "multiplayer only", which only utterly baffles me, as despite how bad Master Levels is, not even they fucked up like that.
Yeah, that was in the original release. Wait, are you playing the wad that came with the QuakeCon'24 release?! I thought that was one of the things that was fixed after the release of Final Doom.

Here's a fix for it:

https://classicdoom.com/pctnt31p.htm

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Minor note regarding the Extermination Day-campaign: The endzone on the penultimate level won't take you to the final level, but instead will reload the level you just completed.

To fix this, open up the console and type 'changemap eday32' once you reach the end of the level. This takes you to the final map with all your gear and health intact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom