Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM + DOOM II Rerelease by Nightdive Studios

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I finished LoR and No rest for the living in this rerelease and am now going through Master Levels of Doom 2
I'm trying to knock the rust off my Doom skills before I go back to Legacy of Rust. I did fire up Master Levels, and that one is a bit tough too. Doom 2 is a bit easy for the most part, so I've been swapping between Eviternity, Raven(Tim Willits), and Perdition's Gate. I was trying Plutonia, but Plutonia seems a lot more like a series of very specialized scenarios tossed together to make a map, over and over again.

Master Levels are some of the worst I've ever played.
Have you tried any of the Doomworld Comunity Project wads? The only one I've tried was 2012, and it was pretty rough.
I never played through Plutonia beyond the first couple of maps due to my blood pressure rising from it, as far as Final Doom goes, i only played through Evilution.

ferratilis

Magister
Have you tried any of the Doomworld Comunity Project wads? The only one I've tried was 2012, and it was pretty rough.
Do you mean "Doom the way id did?" I thought those were pretty good. I also played the Japanese Community pack, that was decent as well. Maybe you're referring to something else?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Unless the room is too small to avoid splash damage a cyberdemon isn't any more nasty than an Imp.
Thank goodness they don't shoot at the ground near the player. That would make them awful. Cyberdemons also shoot more often than imps and the rockets are much faster.

I've noticed that they also tend to do somewhat more damage than the imps' fireballs.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I never played through Plutonia beyond the first couple of maps due to my blood pressure rising from it, as far as Final Doom goes, i only played through Evilution.
I liked Plutonia more than TNT, but TNT gave us Boom, so they still get props. There's also two official sequels to TNT, and there's also an official sequel to Plutonia. And there's two Plutonia Revisited Community Project megawads. And there's apparently a Plutonia 3, that isn't official and isn't very good, two joke Plutonia megawads to make fun of Plutonia 3. The Plutonia Revisited Community Project megawads have maps designed by that Xaser guy that worked on Legacy of Rust.

Do you mean "Doom the way id did?" I thought those were pretty good. I also played the Japanese Community pack, that was decent as well. Maybe you're referring to something else?
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//...ord=Doomworld+Mega&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

There you go. There's a few other megawads made by the Doomworld community that have "Doomworld" in the title. Oh, that Xaser guy also worked on the "Doom the Way id Did" megawads.

Anyone here ever had the D!Zone CDROM map collections back in the day? https://doomwiki.org/wiki/D!ZONE
I had it! There's actually a whole bunch of them. I had the original D!ZONE release. That Perdition's Gate megawad I've mentioned on here was in D!ZONE Gold. I think Wizard Works also sold it separately as I've seen pictures of the CD case cover.

It came with a couple of map editors, but I eventually discovered WadEd, which is what I used to make Doom maps. I've been meaning to try some of the modern map editors for Doom, since they've come a long way since WadEd.

https://archive.org/details/WADED

I think that's the only way you can still get it, and it's DOS, not Windows.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm 9 maps into Master Levels and some of these maps have some pretty questionable design choices, such as a random switch in the middle of the map lowering the platform for the yellow key and if you don't do that you're seemingly trapped unless you run back into a window from a ledge, or a slime pit that you need to go through and seemingly can't get off until you spot the barely able to seen horizontal stairs at the end of it.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Motherfucker, ran into another bullshit design choice, the same switch that lowers you down a level just happens to be the same one that opens up a wall somewhere else that reveals a teleporter i need to go to. What were they thinking with these maps?!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh nice, a Doom remaster like the one they did for Quake, not that I'll ever make this my primary way of playing it, I'll stick to GZDoom like I stick to Quakespasm.
But it's nice that they added achievements, I'll try to 100% them like I did for Quake...
...wait...
oh
oh no
this includes Plutonia
:negative:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm 9 maps into Master Levels and some of these maps have some pretty questionable design choices
I'm on level 3, and just hit that platforming section above the green slime after you get the blue key. It doesn't look like a particularly hard platforming section, but I just can't stand platforming sections in Doom. I really hate the one in Doom II's Tricks and Traps. Seeing it, though, was enough for me to stop playing Master Levels for the night. That's how much I hate platforming in Doom.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

ferratilis

Magister
But it's nice that they added achievements, I'll try to 100% them like I did for Quake...
The problem here is that achievements are utterly meaningless because you can get them by playing with cheats. It's a shame because it would've been cool if they were the real deal, no cheats and Ultra Violence only, but alas.

ferratilis

Magister
I tested NUTS.wad in this new port and the lowest dip has been around 50fps. In GZDoom it can go all the way down to 10fps at its most hectic point. Of course, this pales in comparison to Woof! which doesn't even break a sweat, but still, Kex is rather impressive.

ghardy

Educated
Have you guys tried the Helion engine? There are a few janky bits here and there but, it smokes!

Denim Destroyer

Learned
The only achievement I can see myself struggling to unlock is the one for beating any eight episode map, without dying, and under par time.
Anyhow playing through the new release has awakened my desire to play some more Doom, so here I am going into Resurgence because that wad has received quite a bit of praise.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Have you guys tried the Helion engine? There are a few janky bits here and there but, it smokes!
C# engine only for Windows, so I'm doubting it runs on anything under Windows 10 and 11. So, that rules me out.

Of course, this pales in comparison to Woof! which doesn't even break a sweat, but still, Kex is rather impressive.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/2280/discussions/0/4511003584757456902/

I mentioned that this was brought up in one of those videos, but it does seem that there's a problem with the input latency on the PC version of Kex Doom. Supposedly this doesn't happen on the console versions, but I'm betting that's just because they have nothing to really compare it with on those consoles.

Anybody else getting severe motion sickness playing DOOM at high FPS?
I don't, and I'm using the Voxel Doom wad which does parallax textures and creates some interesting effects when you get near walls. At least, it does with the GZDoom engine.

ghardy

Educated
C# engine only for Windows, so I'm doubting it runs on anything under Windows 10 and 11. So, that rules me out.
At first, I had read that it was made in C# and required dotnet. I had presumed it was made for Windows only.

After I played around, I found I could run it on Linux. (Yes, yes. One has to install dotnet and set it up, disable its telemetry, build it from source. A huge pain. I know. But I was curious.)

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Ran into another bullshit example of fuckery in Master Levels in "black tower" that takes the cake where either a weird bug or "design choice" creates an invisible barrier on some stairs that blocked me from going up, and if it that wasn't enough, it would damage and kill me if i tried to go through it. I had no choice but to no clip my way through.

The crazy thing about Master Levels is that there were maps that were rejected! Imagine how bad those must've been.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Neither wanted nor needed.
Good maps are always wanted and most people don't have the patience to install shit like GZDoom to get the game working with all bells and whistles, or even join communities to try out multiplayer (which now as cross platform connection, so PC ubermensch can rejoice in crushing console peasants in a more personal manner), plus chievos are cool, so while not necessarily needed it is a welcome addition (specially considering it doesn't delete anything)

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Neither wanted nor needed. Nightdive is turning into Beamdog.
https://archive.ph/Gj2Fw

Yeah, the even hate Donald Trump and make sure to boycott anyone who supports Trump

https://nichegamer.com/nightdive-studios-boss-boycotts-company/

“Donald Trump was shot. I don’t care what your political views are but the hate for Trump and his supporters has gone too far,” Sticker Mule cofounder Anthony Constantino said in a statement sent out to their customers and on social media.

He added, “People are terrified to admit they support Trump. I’ve been scared myself. Americans shouldn’t live in fear. I support Trump. Many at Sticker Mule do. Many at Sticker Mule also support Biden. The political hate needs to stop.”

The head of Nightdive Studios, Stephen Kick, promptly voiced his rejection of their message by announcing he is boycotting the company and likely not using them for their products anymore:

“You’ve lost my business,” Nightdive Studios head Stephen Kick said. “Anyone who supports this monster deserves to go down with him.”

That's ok Stephen Kick. You've lost my business and you deserve to go down in your own with your smug self-righteous opinions.

I won't give Nightdive studios a red cent ever again. Fuck'em.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom