Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

JRIz

Augur
OK. It's possible to change regions, dunno how well that works. My ping there is 100-160ms.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
We could both play on EU West, in which case we'd both have something like 75ms ping, but I've tried it before and brits are absolutely shit and toxic too.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
ok update:
io comes with the added bonus that, if my teammates are being douche bags, I can just tp them into enemy fountain!

We could both play on EU West, in which case we'd both have something like 75ms ping, but I've tried it before and brits are absolutely shit and toxic too.

wait do they yell at you with their goofy british accents? if so I may reinstall just to hear this shit

And new players wonder why Dota 2 is "Toxic" :roll:

Shitposter
they released a new hero guys
literally every game I've played that has someone using the new hero, the hero has basically done nothing lmao I've never seen a hero have less of an impact. It's good at running away that's basically it LOL

rW3PKUH.gif

in other news, I'm getting tired of having teammates pick stupid shit like sniper hard support or omniknight safelane carry. it's like "oh cool, we lost before the game even started"
i'm gonna start picking io to tp troll when this happens in the future, so at least I can have some fun losing

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is Valve even doing with Dota?
Back in 2016 dota had 1.2 million concurrent players. Now it has 600k.

The issue is that back in 2003 when it came out, dota had like 30 heroes, 3 skills and 1 ultimate each; orb effects didn't stack.

Now there are 130 heroes: 3 skills, 1 (sometimes 2) ultimate(s), 1 neutral item, items with a bazillion upgrades, orb effects stack like crazy and last, but not least, a Shard Upgrade (TM) that all it does is unbalance the game and confuse the fuck out of new players.

AND THAT'S NOT ALL. INTRODUCING: smurfs, cheaters and a decade long broken report system.

Smurfs kill new players. Cheaters kill any new players that survived the smurfs. And the report system kill what's left.

Basically why innovate when you don't need to? Corporate greed in a nutshell.

Nahel

Arcane
They did introduce some changes. Only negative ones. Dumbing down the game to make it faster. Current skills would be like those in old Dota op mod.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Talents are great. Tell me with a straight face you'd prefer the attribute bonuses from before. Now you get noticeable improvements and a mutually exclusive choice about how you build your character (ignoring the level 30 retardation).

I won't defend Agh shard. That's some of the most obvious "we're adding new content because new content" in any game.

Shrines were mercifully removed from the game. Outposts add very little, but I can't really get upset about that.

Jungle items are dumb, but at least they made it 1 per hero instead of the retardation when it first launched and you could have all of them.

The_Mask

Patron
Yeah, I'll go on the record too and say that talents feel like the natural progression of the game. Acceptable.

Outposts feel like another natural progression of the game, where the map starts to look like yin-yang rather than a flat divide of a square.

Everything else is shit though. And I can't understand what IceFrog is thinking. Like... there is an upgrade to Eul Scepter of Divinity. What... ?

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Talents are great. Tell me with a straight face you'd prefer the attribute bonuses from before.
Yes, I would prefer that, because it was unobtrusive. Most talents are very boring, but the more impactful talents mess with the ability to know what is going on with the game (ie knowing what range enemy spells are, how long they last, etc). This could be fixed by adding appropriate icons to each talent so you don't have to either read text in the middle of the game or memorise 1,040 talents to recall the important ones. Maybe they'll do that.
It's enough to have 500 or so spells and 100 or so items in the game, and those can reasonably be learnt because of their large icons, visual and sound effects.
Some heroes can have 20% evasion for example, without having a big, obvious item which they had to choose over other gold expenditures. Some carries get lifesteal without having to dedicate either their own itemslot or have a teammate with vlad's.
Itemisation choices are very compelling and varied, whereas talent choices are not only very boring in most cases, but they also dumb down the itemisation in several cases such as lifesteal and evasion which have diminishing returns, so you can take the talent to patch a hole and call it a day, instead of being something that has increasing returns which would develop into further choices.

Itemisation has also been dumbed down by adding upgrades to blink, euls etc - dead-end items with powerful unique effects. That's a temptation which should've been resisted.

KVVRR

Learned
What did they do to Invoker in this? He acts nothing like his in game self. Why did they bring back Dragon Knights VA but not anyone else? Why don't Luna and Mirana have their stupid, sexy accents? Why focus 9n the Elves at all? Karl now has a child??? Why is TERRORBLADE the main villain and cgi???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom