Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm getting a very strong Baldur's Gate vibe from the end of the trailer; The music and circular logo are very reminiscent of the series. They also name dropped "Baldur's Gate" twice and even mentioned "Dragon Age veterans" in that blog entry.

IDK, it's called the Dread Wolf Rises and is a Dragon Age game.

This is the Dread Wolf:

tumblr_p1wl52smoq1vx59euo1_1280.jpg

He was the plot twist of DA:I and the anti-climax that was the Trespasser DLC. He represents the decline of Dragon Age, Bioware, the Soyboys and the SJWs in one character.

For extra value, search Tumbler for "Solas". No need to thank me!

(Side effects may include: instant onset diarrhea, eye bleeding, corruption of your mortal soul and acne)
solas is elf
fixed

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It's Bioware in 2018. It wouldn't end well if dude's bio said "I FUCK BIG TITTED BITCHES!" either.
I don't care for the guy's bum aesthetics preferences. Him slapping it on his official social media, as a public person and face for the project, is what bothers me. If it was a homogay developer with shields and axes and shit on his profile, I'd be down.

"Narrative Director, #thedreadwolfrises @bioware. Ask me about STALKER." This I don't mind seeing there.
"Intersectional feminism. He/him. Leftist." and the gay homoerotica in the banner I do mind seeing. Those aren't random throwaway causal mentions, he put them there, and left them there, and credited the authors. This is a statement, from the project lead of the game, on his public page that represents the game. A statement about what the game will be like.

I just wish developers would have their own private account, and "business" account, and not conflate the two. Or that the gaming industry would grow up and get public relations managers to represent its developers, while asking them to remove links to their job and projects from personal accounts. It would remove a lot of the fan-developer familiarity, and make them even more distant, but considering how awkward and detrimental to the marketing their statements on politics and culture are, an apparent distant apathy would be preferable.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
but its also sad, BioWare companions are only as good as it is satisfying to ruin their lives
Strong disagreement here. Mass Effect had likable characters that you wanted the best for - Blueberry Squid, Animated Armor Girl and Zergface Batman were all pretty cool, and depending on your spiritual health, perhaps the Hunchback Orc and Alien Josef Mengele too.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
It's Bioware in 2018. It wouldn't end well if dude's bio said "I FUCK BIG TITTED BITCHES!" either.
I don't care for the guy's bum aesthetics preferences. Him slapping it on his official social media, as a public person and face for the project, is what bothers me. If it was a homogay developer with shields and axes and shit on his profile, I'd be down.

"Narrative Director, #thedreadwolfrises @bioware. Ask me about STALKER." This I don't mind seeing there.
"Intersectional feminism. He/him. Leftist." and the gay homoerotica in the banner I do mind seeing. Those aren't random throwaway causal mentions, he put them there, and left them there, and credited the authors. This is a statement, from the project lead of the game, on his public page that represents the game. A statement about what the game will be like.

I just wish developers would have their own private account, and "business" account, and not conflate the two. Or that the gaming industry would grow up and get public relations managers to represent its developers, while asking them to remove links to their job and projects from personal accounts. It would remove a lot of the fan-developer familiarity, and make them even more distant, but considering how awkward and detrimental to the marketing their statements on politics and culture are, an apparent distant apathy would be preferable.

But that's what I mean. Bioware's employees in 2018 are all of the same ilk. It doesn't matter if he's a fundamental leftist or a dudebro from the local gym. The narrative is going to get bogged down in politics and clout chasing just because that's who they hire/works there. Making statements about the cultural zeitgeist comes first, designing games comes second.

YldriE

Learned
Not really, if anything when he first appeared I figured he would be a no-name NPC who drops off the plot quickly because of how featureless he looks, I even had trouble remembering his name. You can quickly tell who NPCs are meant to be due to their general looks and behaviour (the resident slut, the hawt devil-may-care guy, the somber warrior with a dark past, the religious no-fun-allowed monk, etc), the same way in movies you can tell whether a character is supposed to be meaningful within seconds of them appearing on screen: facial features, clothing complexity, camera work, you instantly know who is the writer's pet, who is the jerk with a recessed jaw that the audience will enjoy watching suffer, who is the big bearded burly guy that has no personality except being an unsympathetic henchman to the bad guy, etc.

Solas looks so mundane I could see it being intentional (though that's not likely), but that's precisely what sets him apart. He looks like a harmless nobody and the more you dig into his past and his opinions, the more he appears to be the only one to have anything meaningful to say instead of pestering you with daddy issues or trying to drown you in sob stories. The fact that he ends up being one of the most important characters in the in-universe mythos is a great reveal.

He isn't the manliest character because he is muscular or has a soybeard or wields a big weapon, or because of awsum slo-mo slaughter cutscenes, but precisely because he is the last character from whom you would except any of this, and because he will actually debate you on issues that are important in-universe, and both of you will hold your ground instead of having a typical meek "I guess I didn't see it that way, I agree with you now, thanks for your input". Later, when you discover who he truly is, he doesn't give the slightest shit about your past disagreements because all things considered, you don't matter, as it should: it's hard for the player character, even as a larger-than-life videogame protagonist, to be little more than a blink in his life.

I honestly have no meaningful memories of other characters in this game, that's how cookie-cutter they were. Accidentally or not, Solas was not a shit character.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I would love to see a Vision Statement for the original Dragon Age. Knights of the Somewhat Oriental Fantasy. I think they planned mongols instead of zombieorkspawns.

gelEY.jpg

zf4X5.jpg

FVFeG.jpg

psHxs.jpg

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
Hm, setting aside the sanctimonious twitter diatribes from the disciples of nu-BioWare, is Gaider doing anything useful these days besides making quips on Twitter?

Durian Eater

Learned
I appreciate this guy being so open about his desire to use video games as a vehicle for leftist propaganda. And from his perspective, it makes perfect sense: alienate a majority of your audience, cram Dragon Age 4 full of politicized bullshit, and if it crashes and burns (and takes Bioware down with it), who cares? You can always get another job in the industry doing the exact same thing, because you're on the Right Side of History. (Then again, is Gaider employed?) But I've never understood why EA allows this to happen. Do they value being pozzed more than making money? For all the shit EA gets over being a soulless, creatively bankrupt megacorp that micromanages their studios to death, Bioware could have been churning out semiannual ME2s for the past 10 years and they wouldn't be one flop away from oblivion.

Cael

Arcane
Hm, setting aside the sanctimonious twitter diatribes from the disciples of nu-BioWare, is Gaider doing anything useful these days besides making quips on Twitter?
Probably trying to preach SJW shit to anyone who will listen and all the poor bastards who just happen to be within 50m of him.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
He represents the decline of Dragon Age, Bioware, the Soyboys and the SJWs in one character.

Interesting, care to summarize why that is for someone that's only played the first 15 minutes of DA:O?

He doesn't represent the decline of Dragon Age or Bioware, because the decline happened much earlier. But it's easy to go "Hey, look at this gay thing, lol", so you know...

Cael

Arcane
He represents the decline of Dragon Age, Bioware, the Soyboys and the SJWs in one character.

Interesting, care to summarize why that is for someone that's only played the first 15 minutes of DA:O?
LGTBIWTFLOL! in the games, getting more and more in your face as the series went on, culminating in *unprintable things*.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom