Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
There's only so much you can say about 20+ years old RPGs. Dunking on Bioware is fun.

If you want rashiakas I can point you to thread for brand new game cause I didn't see you in it

HammyTheFat

Scholar
elf god phylacteries
Why did these phylacteries convince seven Tevinter magisters to open a portal into the Golden City?
To free them from their wack ass crystal fade prison.
The dragon gods were trapped in a crystal fade prison??

Is there any solid source that sheds any more light on the Tevinter dragon gods? I feel like it's a part of the lore that has been losing touch with the rest of the setting.
No, but solas heavily implies that the fade is somehow used to lock the elven super mages away from Thedas.

9ted6

Educated
I wonder if the super elf wank was always the intended lore and all the religions were always meant to conclude with elf mages having been involved with literally everything.

I wonder if the super elf wank was always the intended lore and all the religions were always meant to conclude with elf mages having been involved with literally everything.
Almost everything in Inquisition points towards to everything being "versions of the truth" and that something else is out there. So yeah.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Leaving things like the chantry up to interpretation or having pros and cons was too much for the shit writers to handle. They had to portray "church bad, elf good".

Tranquility went from a topic up for debate, to being a fate worse than death in DA2, to something the church knew and purposefully caused in DA:I.

Shit pozzed writers across the board. They wanted an "awesome button" and also had to one up every part of the story. Chantry was bad enough, but the Elves and Dwarves reveals are literally universe altering bullshit. That was not in DA:O and was not a plan considering they didn't plan to make sequels.

9ted6

Educated
Almost everything in Inquisition points towards to everything being "versions of the truth" and that something else is out there. So yeah.
I meant the intended lore back when it was just Origins. The super elves shit started in DA2 but I can't remember if it was a thing before that.
Leaving things like the chantry up to interpretation or having pros and cons was too much for the shit writers to handle. They had to portray "church bad, elf good".

Tranquility went from a topic up for debate, to being a fate worse than death in DA2, to something the church knew and purposefully caused in DA:I.

Shit pozzed writers across the board.
For sure. Moral and factual ambiguity is a lot harder to write than magic super elves did it and the church is 100% bad.

The way they retconned tranquility is another one of the dumbest changes.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I meant the intended lore back when it was just Origins. The super elves shit started in DA2 but I can't remember if it was a thing before that.
Arlathan having been a highly advanced civilization on whose bones the humans rose to prominence was always a thing. But the very specific revelations involving Solas, his role in Andraste's story, and the elven gods being ascended immortal mages who enslaved all the other elves are very much an Inquisition thing, I think.

I don't think the elf story is bad in itself. I even like the way they hinted that Solas was Shartan. I like that the Dalish are a constructed culture that long for a false past, when in reality they all descend from ancient slaves. It's only that, right now, having learned more of the elves than of anybody else, the setting was streamlined into an elves did everything sort of deal. It doesn't have to stay that way. But its gonna take 10 years for DA4 to come out, and it's about Solas again. How long until DA5?

The one thing ancient human-centric that we've learned in DA3 was how the chasind barbarians conceptualize gods and spirits. Ie, Andraste's culture most likely saw no distinction between 'summoning a god', 'creating a god', 'bringing about a god'. Which puts the Chant of Light into perspective. The implication being that if you were to turn to Andraste's people and say 'uh, akshually, if the entire world 'sings the chant' what you'll have is a ''spirit'' that calls itself ''the maker'', and their response would be 'no fucking shit dumbass'.

Last edited:

9ted6

Educated
Arlathan having been a highly advanced civilization on whose bones the humans rose to prominence was always a thing. But the very specific revelations involving Solas, his role in Andraste's story, and the elven gods being ascended immortal mages who enslaved all the other elves are very much an Inquisition thing, I think.

I don't think the elf story is bad in itself. I even like the way they hinted that Solas was Shartan. I like that the Dalish are a constructed culture that long for a false past, when in reality they all descend from ancient slaves. It's only that, right now, having learned more of the elves than of anybody else, the setting was streamlined into an elves did everything sort of deal. It doesn't have to stay that way. But its gonna take 10 years for DA4 to come out, and it's about Solas again. How long until DA5?

The one thing ancient human-centric that we've learned in DA3 was how the chasind barbarians conceptualize gods and spirits. Ie, Andraste's culture most likely saw no distinction between 'summoning a god', 'creating a god', 'bringing about a god'. Which puts the Chant of Light into perspective. The implication being that if you were to turn to Andraste's people and say 'uh, akshually, if the entire world 'sings the chant' what you'll have is a ''spirit'' that calls itself ''the maker'', and their response would be 'no fucking shit dumbass'.
In and of itself the elf lore isn't terrible, it's just the consequences of it and the retcons they had to make to get it there. A lot of people liked that Origins was a fantasy world where elves weren't on top, which is pretty rare. Maybe the super elf mage-god idea was meant to distance DA from Witcher, like how the Grey Wardens are a footnote now instead of a major group. Regardless Inquisition gets rid of one of the few things that made Origins unique.

It also meant that the other races got the shaft as far as their religions go, especially humans, because the Chantry not only got proven wrong on everything it says, it also became a completely evil and tyrannical institution that knows it's wrong, morally and factually, but keeps doing what it does for power and the general hell of it. If it'd been an evil church from the beginning that'd be one thing, but Origins made it out to be a nuanced topic and nobody you meet of it in Origins seems the cackling bad guy type.

A monotheistic religion in fantasy's rare too, even rarer that it's not the bad guy, two things that again made Origins more distinct. Now we know there probably aren't any gods period, definitely no single maker, and the Chantry's a villain. Dalish Elves are wrong too, but now they're the goody goody race and did nothing bad ever.

I doubt with all the buildup to the elves that they'll change it at the last minute and add stuff to the other religions, but I also doubt there'll ever be a DA4 to begin with. And if there is, whatever lore they do add is gonna be written by some of the wokest and most untalented people in the industry anyway. It might be better that the maker's a lie instead of a real character who checks a bunch of current year boxes and delivers Forspoken dialogue.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
What they did with the lore on elves pissed me off more than it had any right to.
The inclusion and reveal of the Orb thingy (can't remember the name) and the fact that it allows you to enter physically into the Fade basically shifts blame onto the elves for... everything. And lol at the "reveal" that the Delish were wrong and everything else about slavery and their empire. They did a complete 180 from humans were bad and had slaves and blackened the Golden City etc and just went nah elves did it. That's the best they could do, creatively.
The whole lore I felt was written by someone who has issues in real life with religion, history and uses historical revisionism (in game) to the point that this was his or her chance to get back at the real world by shitting on the game lore.
DA4 is written by such specimens.
And of course DA4 will continue to "reveal" how the Maker is probably not real, but an elven AI. Or something. And obviously the dragons that get corrupted and become archdemons were in fact the good guys all along. Somehow.
Also DA4 will release at some point. They revealed it's a thing, they're working on it, it's probably pretty far in development enough to try and get it out anyway.
They don't care about making a good game, they care about pushing the lgbt stuff.
Needless to declare, it will be abject shit. The leaks proved that. You can't control your party members anymore and tactics system is gone.
What a sad fate for this IP.

Tyrr

Liturgist
What they did with the lore on elves pissed me off more than it had any right to.
The inclusion and reveal of the Orb thingy (can't remember the name) and the fact that it allows you to enter physically into the Fade basically shifts blame onto the elves for... everything. And lol at the "reveal" that the Delish were wrong and everything else about slavery and their empire. They did a complete 180 from humans were bad and had slaves and blackened the Golden City etc and just went nah elves did it. That's the best they could do, creatively.
The whole lore I felt was written by someone who has issues in real life with religion, history and uses historical revisionism (in game) to the point that this was his or her chance to get back at the real world by shitting on the game lore.
DA4 is written by such specimens.
And of course DA4 will continue to "reveal" how the Maker is probably not real, but an elven AI. Or something. And obviously the dragons that get corrupted and become archdemons were in fact the good guys all along. Somehow.
Also DA4 will release at some point. They revealed it's a thing, they're working on it, it's probably pretty far in development enough to try and get it out anyway.
They don't care about making a good game, they care about pushing the lgbt stuff.
Needless to declare, it will be abject shit. The leaks proved that. You can't control your party members anymore and tactics system is gone.
What a sad fate for this IP.
Thank God it's called 'Dragon Age: Origins' and not 'Dragon Age 1'. That makes it easy to pretend that there are no other DA games.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Most of the elves in Dragon Age:Origins lived in favelas.
Thought it was pretty cool.
None of that "muh noble and proud ancient elves who are best at everything".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most of the elves in Dragon Age:Origins lived in favelas.
Thought it was pretty cool.
None of that "muh noble and proud ancient elves who are best at everything".
Well actually it is about noble evles that got degenerate and then humies made cum dumpsters out of their arses.

gruntar

Augur

Shit pozzed writers across the board. They wanted an "awesome button" and also had to one up every part of the story. Chantry was bad enough, but the Elves and Dwarves reveals are literally universe altering bullshit. That was not in DA:O and was not a plan considering they didn't plan to make sequels.
Inquisition ruined every remaining interesting part of Dragon Age lore that could make biodrones uncomfortable and push them even a little out of their safe space.

Tranquility - no problem, some spirit in the Fade can touch a mind of a Tranquil and its cured, simple as that. Seekers knew it all along but did't tell because their leader was an asshole.

Templars addiction to Lyrium - with love and support of your friends you can just toughen it up and be clean and free.

The Culling - darkspawn blood poisoning that eventually makes Wardens crazy - don't worry about it, DA:O protagonist is working on a cure right now.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Inquisition ruined every remaining interesting part of Dragon Age lore that could make biodrones uncomfortable and push them even a little out of their safe space.

Tranquility - no problem, some spirit in the Fade can touch a mind of a Tranquil and its cured, simple as that. Seekers knew it all along but did't tell because their leader was an asshole.

Templars addiction to Lyrium - with love and support of your friends you can just toughen it up and be clean and free.

The Culling - darkspawn blood poisoning that eventually makes Wardens crazy - don't worry about it, DA:O protagonist is working on a cure right now.

Qunari - an inclusive bunch.

Demons - simply misunderstood.

War between mages and templars - ended with one action.

Civil war in Orleais - ended with one masked ball.

Blood magic - what?

9ted6

Educated

Don't forget

Tranquility - it's actually a living hell for the person and they suffer constantly, it doesn't protect them from demons, the Chantry knows but still does it to make them slightly more efficient slave workers

Lyrium - does literally nothing for the templars and their abilities, exclusively used to make them crack addicts for extra profits

One of the stupidest pieces of Inquisition Qunari lore was where they occupied a region and it was turned into a big fun commune where everyone was happy, then the Chantry came in and just started killing every civilian they found and the Qunari could've beaten them but chose not to and left because they didn't want more people getting hurt.

You can totally see Sten from Origins or even the leader from 2 telling you all of that. They sure fit the image of pacifistic and noble hippies who write gay bondage manuals.

I wonder how bad it's gonna get in 4, if 4 ever comes.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't know how anyone can remain interested in DA lore after Inquisition. This includes BioWare. You just know after BG3 they're going to pivot hard on making Dreadwolf a dating sim with the ugliest characters you can imagine.

But wait, you say. DA:I characters were already butt ugly!

Brother, that shit came out in 2014. There'll be whole new horrors waiting for you.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I don't know how anyone can remain interested in DA lore after Inquisition. This includes BioWare. You just know after BG3 they're going to pivot hard on making Dreadwolf a dating sim with the ugliest characters you can imagine.

Brother, that shit came out in 2014. There'll be whole new horrors waiting for you.
I think DA:I was the first major title I noticed the woke infiltration into gaming.
Ugly females, niggers everywhere, trannies and faggots portrayed as persecuted victims/the good guys.

Camel

Scholar
I think DA:I was the first major title I noticed the woke infiltration into gaming.
Ugly females, niggers everywhere, trannies and faggots portrayed as persecuted victims/the good guys.
ME3 was the first degenerate game for me with faggot Steve Cortez(voice actor Matthew Del Negro) and Bioware retroactively made Kaidan fag/bisexual.

9ted6

Educated

I think it was the first woke game. Before it, you only saw partial wokeness getting shoved into games. DA2 had bits, ME3 had bits, several other games did, but Inquisition was the first game to completely fill the descriptor as we know it now.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Don't forget

Tranquility - it's actually a living hell for the person and they suffer constantly, it doesn't protect them from demons, the Chantry knows but still does it to make them slightly more efficient slave workers

Lyrium - does literally nothing for the templars and their abilities, exclusively used to make them crack addicts for extra profits

One of the stupidest pieces of Inquisition Qunari lore was where they occupied a region and it was turned into a big fun commune where everyone was happy, then the Chantry came in and just started killing every civilian they found and the Qunari could've beaten them but chose not to and left because they didn't want more people getting hurt.

You can totally see Sten from Origins or even the leader from 2 telling you all of that. They sure fit the image of pacifistic and noble hippies who write gay bondage manuals.

It's no coincidence that they escaped to a new galaxy in Mass Effect Andromeda. Someone shout in office - finally, a tabula rasa that we can fill as we want, without the sexist-racist-homophobic relics of the 00s! And then they drank vegan wine.

Andromeda was defended by exposing its technical shortcomings, but the truth was that the game was bland. Marxism is the denial of life, a game created in accordance with marxist sensibilities must be heartless. Nothing that stimulates, nothing that encourages denial, nothing that could encourage you to look at the world differently - there is only socialist realist correctness and repetition. In the USSR they made films about the love of a kolkhoz woman and a worker, in Bioware we have the romance of a trans-being with an asexual chair, but it's still the same style of thinking. Video games show what would happen if Marxism could control every element of the real world - stopping everything in place. No life. Eternal darkness.

The only question that arises is whether they will create uglier characters than in Starfield?

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I think it was the first woke game. Before it, you only saw partial wokeness getting shoved into games. DA2 had bits, ME3 had bits, several other games did, but Inquisition was the first game to completely fit the descriptor as we know it now.

No one has ever seen real, full Marxism (woke). There is only constant pressure forward.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Don't forget

Qunari should've stayed more of a mystery culture and race, only known through various tales and accounts or Sten's descriptions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom