Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

9ted6

Educated
How do you go from this....
b692W0C.jpg

To this?
SQMeggR.jpg
Origins Elf
dragonageorigins_poster_city_elf_clean.jpg

Inquisition Elf
Dragon_Age_Inquisition_Concept_Art_MR10_Tavern.jpg

gruntar

Augur
Iron bull is much sadder than just being anti-qunari because it really depends on how you treat him whether he'll go against his religious convictions. I find it sad that he'll give them up so easily just because you were nice to him.
Ackchyually...

What happens with Iron Bull depends on his personal quest: if you convince him to sacrifice his mercenary band to save qunari dreadnought then he will remain loyal to the Qun, otherwise he'll became Tal Vashok or whatever Qun renegades are called. Your personal standing with him or whenever you romanced him or not doesn't matter. That quest and its consequences in Trespasser arepretty cool by Inquisition standards.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Iron bull is much sadder than just being anti-qunari because it really depends on how you treat him whether he'll go against his religious convictions. I find it sad that he'll give them up so easily just because you were nice to him.
Ackchyually...

What happens with Iron Bull depends on his personal quest: if you convince him to sacrifice his mercenary band to save qunari dreadnought then he will remain loyal to the Qun, otherwise he'll became Tal Vashok or whatever Qun renegades are called. Your personal standing with him or whenever you romanced him or not doesn't matter. That quest and its consequences in Trespasser arepretty cool by Inquisition standards.
He'll remain loyal to the Qun even if you've romanced him? Interesting.

9ted6

Educated
Ackchyually...

He'll remain loyal to the Qun even if you've romanced him? Interesting.
I can't imagine it's that big a difference given how bastardized the Qunari are in Inquisition. If him being loyal to the Qun makes him a hyper sexual gender theorist then him being a renegade probably doesn't change his character very much.

All this also makes me wonder what the new lore's reasoning for Vashoks are. They were supposed to be rebels who gave up on the Qun and saw their kin as tyrants, but now that the Qunari are hecking diverse and inclusive Canadians what the hell are they rebelling against? Is being stoic the rebellion and Sten's retconned into a Vashok himself?

Terra

Cipher
The joy I'm getting from DA:DW is knowing that half of Bioware will be looking at BG3 and telling the other half "See! told you we should have stayed turn-based!"

BG3's success will undoubtably be upsetting the apple cart at Bioware, and making a lot of them question their choices for this game. It's gonna be a unholy mess that will be pushing action based combat and LGBT agendas at a time when both are starting to go out of fashion.

Hopefully this will be the failure which kills Bioware off.
More like the latter half are telling the former "see! told you we should have had women with penises in DA, and now BG has beaten us to it!", prompting an emergency all-hands meeting and subsequent reboot of the game.

Delterius

Arcane

9ted6

Educated
It's gonna be a unholy mess that will be pushing action based combat and LGBT agendas at a time when both are starting to go out of fashion.

It's gonna suck, but those definitely aren't going out of fashion. BG3's got dumbed down combat and some of the most aggressively woke writing and characters ever, and the game's been a massive success. Sure outside of Reddit and even on Larian's own forums people have started calling out the pandering bullshit and saying the game's actually bad to play, but I have a feeling it's too little too late. With how successful it was, it's going to be the standard for CRPGs for the next several years minimum.
now that DA:O is no longer woke we can rest assured that the release of DA5 will redeem DA:I
DA:O wasn’t woke being developed in better times, I remember calling it proto-woke because of feminism.
I don't even think it was that feministic. It never seemed like it was preaching to you that men were bad or anything. You had female warriors but that's been a thing in fantasy stories since ever. It's not til 2 and Inquisition especially that they started laying on the evil patriarchy line and making every important leader a woman.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
the dutch

Sven is Flamand. you Portuguese.
portugal and belgium are only some of the illegal states i do not recognize

Brasil
rio de janeiro is the real and legal capital of portugal. all lisboan seccessionists shall be tramped underfoot. confie no plano.

Rio de Janeiro is not even the capital of Brazil, let alone its own metropolis.
It's gonna be a unholy mess that will be pushing action based combat and LGBT agendas at a time when both are starting to go out of fashion.

It's gonna suck, but those definitely aren't going out of fashion. BG3's got dumbed down combat and some of the most aggressively woke writing and characters ever, and the game's been a massive success. Sure outside of Reddit and even on Larian's own forums people have started calling out the pandering bullshit and saying the game's actually bad to play, but I have a feeling it's too little too late. With how successful it was, it's going to be the standard for CRPGs for the next several years minimum.
now that DA:O is no longer woke we can rest assured that the release of DA5 will redeem DA:I
DA:O wasn’t woke being developed in better times, I remember calling it proto-woke because of feminism.
I don't even think it was that feministic. It never seemed like it was preaching to you that men were bad or anything. You had female warriors but that's been a thing in fantasy stories since ever. It's not til 2 and Inquisition especially that they started laying on the evil patriarchy line and making every important leader a woman.

Does anyone remember Cassandra congratulating the Inquisitor for being a woman?

Lodis

Educated
One of the things old Bioware did was let you roleplay as an absolute piece of shit. Like the part in Origins where you can cuck some elf and then gloat in his face that you fucked his bride to be. Or the part where you can sacrifice a bunch of captured elves in a blood magic ritual elves for a +1 to you constitution score.

95ccAa2.png

I can't remember a single part of Inquisition where you can act like anything other than generic wholesome hero guy which is a shame because taking charge of a huge military organization would work as a perfect path to a sort of "power corrupts" storyline. But hey this is the same Bioware that erased desire demons in a game all about demons because purple demon titties made them uncomfortable.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
BG3... With how successful it was, it's going to be the standard for CRPGs for the next several years minimum.

Fabulously optimistic that any of the current big players can produce a RPG at the same level of quality (lol) as BG3.

That in of itself is a deeply depressing and hilarious statement.

None of the current RPG studios are capable of matching something as generic and bland as BG3.

The dream is over.

The joy I'm getting from DA:DW is knowing that half of Bioware will be looking at BG3 and telling the other half "See! told you we should have stayed turn-based!"

BG3's success will undoubtably be upsetting the apple cart at Bioware, and making a lot of them question their choices for this game. It's gonna be a unholy mess that will be pushing action based combat and LGBT agendas at a time when both are starting to go out of fashion.

Elden Ring hit 20 million at the start of this year. I think it’s safe to say that action combat is not, in any way at all, on the way out. Baldur’s Gate 3, which hasn’t even kind of hit those numbers, doesn’t show action combat is on the way out in any form whatsoever. Was massively outsold by Cyberpunk 2077 and Diablo 4 too. What Baldur’s Gate 3 however does show is that the type of game BioWare had abandoned, most likely because they believed it couldn’t sell enough, can hit the numbers BioWare wants given its outside everything they’ve ever made.

It is however funny that BioWare is off chasing what they’re chasing, which has kept this game (some version of a Dragon Age 4 anyways) in development since 2015, (still with no release date) and in the meantime someone basically made a old style BioWare game and got a bigger hit out of it than BioWare has ever had. And they did it with turn-based combat, so it was even less action oriented than the RTS influenced gameplay BioWare did in ‘98.

Even if this game fails, I can’t see it killing BioWare. They might get smaller. But EA could also just come in and say: Hey, these people over here just at a hit by doing what you used to do; go back to doing that. And if that doesn’t happen, someone at BioWare pitching that idea to whoever seems likely. Hell, they probably pitched that type of game once the BG3 numbers started coming in and kept going up.
Action certainly still has a place, but the action trend is dipping for sure. Almost every poll which I'm seeing in mainstream Twitter & Facebook groups is leaning towards turn-based now. Usually around a 60-40 split in favour of turn-based.

Final Fantasy 16 sold 3m copies last I looked, Baldurs Gate 3 is now nearing 10m copies sold on Steam alone. FF is a far more established franchise too, with a far bigger established fanbase.

Stuff like Souls games are a different breed all together as they are challenge-action games, not just action games. And Dreadwolf won't hold any appeal to challenge-based gamers.

The thing is there’s also actual sales numbers that you can go off of too.

Cyberpunk 2077 has 25 million sales. Blizzard announced that Diablo 4 hit 10 million players the first month of its release. Elden Ring hit 20 million copies sold in February this year, and sold 13.4 million in the first 34 days.

To be clear, Final Fantasy 16 selling 3 million in a week is more sales than Baldur’s Gate 3 sold on release, since 2.5 million of BG3’s 5 million sales were from the 2 (almost 3) years the game was in early access. Although I’d guess that Final Fantasy 16 hasn’t hit the 10 million sales it seems people think BG3 may have hit by this point...I’m not sure where that number is coming from now that I look a little more. But there is a funny situation with those two games where they both sold similar numbers on release, but one got talked up as a major success while the other was talked up as a bomb. If Final Fantasy 16 had been a PS4 exclusive instead of a PS5 exclusive it likely would’ve sold much better.

Last edited:
All I'm seeing on Facebook JRPG groups of all things is people literally using BG3 as a flagship for turn-based RPGs over action.

Dread Wolf will basically be action-based BG in terms of similar style setting, target audience, inspiration etc. Let's see how the sales compare.

A JRPG Facebook group wanting a return to turn-based gameplay for Final Fantasy is not a surprise. I’d assume if someone is part of a group that specifically talks about JRPGs then they’re hardcore JRPG fans. And given its modern Facebook, they’re probably also older JRPG fans. So it’s probably a group of guys in their late (maybe even mid) 30s and 40s that played JRPGs on the SNES and PSX; (other stuff too, but most likely those two system; and maybe the DS) and probably also older western RPGs like Wizardry and the Westwood stuff.

You’re talk about an audience that probably wants turn based combat more than the CRPG audience. And not even tactical combat, although they want that too, but some variation on Wizardry combat.

I’m almost surprised BioWare isn’t going for Diablo style isometric action combat... either the classic point and click version that runs on stats and has misses and stuff, or the more beat ‘em up style they did with Diablo 3 on consoles. Seems like it would be easier to do, and despite what people might think about needing to be third or first person to sell more, Diablo 3 and 4 show that modern audience will still buy games with that isometric view in mass. The first 3 years Diablo 3 was out it sold 30 million copies. They could even keep their real-time with pause unit management with that Diablo view pretty easily.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Cyberpunk 2077 has 25 million sales. Blizzard announced that Diablo 4 hit 10 million players the first month of its release. Elden Ring hit 20 million copies sold in February this year, and sold 13.4 million in the first 34 days.

To be clear, Final Fantasy 16 selling 3 million in a week is more sales than Baldur’s Gate 3 sold on release, since 2.5 million of BG3’s 5 million sales were from the 2 (almost 3) years the game was in early access. Although I’d guess that Final Fantasy 16 hasn’t hit the 10 million sales it seems people think BG3 may have hit by this point...I’m not sure where that number is coming from now that I look a little more. But there is a funny situation with those two games where they both sold similar numbers on release, but one got talked up as a major success while the other was talked up as a bomb. If Final Fantasy 16 had been a PS4 exclusive instead of a PS5 exclusive it likely would’ve sold much better.

Somewhat related: Squenix also always talks about all its games as if they've failed to hit targets, even though many of them had respectable looking numbers. I'm not sure if they're just huffing paint and then presenting data like: We're going to sell 12 bazillion of these! and then just running with it until they only sold some number that actually exists and are upset about it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Square Enix is the jap Bioware, they wasted many decades chasing trends instead of improving their core experience they were known. Instead of building an audience over the years, they ditched their old audience every time they chased a new trend to the point of diluting their franchises so much that nobody gives a damn anymore.

A company that gives the green light to something like Forspoken doesnt belong to this world for long.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
elf god phylacteries
Why did these phylacteries convince seven Tevinter magisters to open a portal into the Golden City?
To free them from their wack ass crystal fade prison.
The dragon gods were trapped in a crystal fade prison??

Is there any solid source that sheds any more light on the Tevinter dragon gods? I feel like it's a part of the lore that has been losing touch with the rest of the setting.
I was making a joke about the elf mages, who knows with the dragons. There's been exactly zero lore released about them as far as I know.

The only interesting tidbit I remember is corpypheus calling on Dumat in the middle of a boss fight and getting a power boost, implying despite being slain in the 1st blight dumat is still around somehow. But if they wanted to they could just handwave that away with him being batshit insane.

Somewhat related: Squenix also always talks about all its games as if they've failed to hit targets, even though many of them had respectable looking numbers. I'm not sure if they're just huffing paint and then presenting data like: We're going to sell 12 bazillion of these! and then just running with it until they only sold some number that actually exists and are upset about it.

I think they’re just spending a bunch of money and expecting sales like they used to get. But people don’t care about Final Fantasy today like they did from Final Fantasy 7 up through Final Fantasy 13.

Square Enix is the jap Bioware, they wasted many decades chasing trends instead of improving their core experience they were known. Instead of building an audience over the years, they ditched their old audience every time they chased a new trend to the point of diluting their franchises so much that nobody gives a damn anymore.

A company that gives the green light to something like Forspoken doesnt belong to this world for long.

I wouldn’t say they’ve been chasing trends for decades. They’ve only been in this action mode for less than a decade; with Final Fantasy 15 starting as a spinoff game, and the 7 Remake being a project they were originally outsourcing to CyberConnect2.

Dragon Quest 11 is a pretty classic style JRPG, and that game came out in 2017. They’re doing stuff like the remakes of Live A Live and Star Ocean: The Second Story. They came out with that Dungeon Encounters game a couple years ago. The whole 360 era they were still coming out with the kind of stuff you’d expected from Square and Enix before. The only big thing, and this was a huge misstep on the part of Square Enix, is they didn’t shift gears on their whole Final Fantasy 13 Fabula Nova Crystallis thing after the negative reaction to FF13. And that first Final Fantasy 13 game didn’t sell bad, but the reaction to it was bad, and they spent a whole console generation with their flagship series (at least as far as the West was concerned) attached to an unpopular title. So they basically lost a generation of gamers to who Final Fantasy really meant something when they kept making FF13 games instead of retooling those titles into other projects. There big recent fumble was giving that Marvel's Avengers, which sounds like it was their most high profile big budget game, to Crystal Dynamics.

If BioWare acted like Square Enix today, smaller projects by former BioWare employees like NEO Scavenger and The Banner Saga would be happening under BioWare. You’d probably still be getting the types of games BioWare used to make out of BioWare, they’d just be smaller lower budget projects than Anthem, Inquisition, and Mass Effect 3.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Somewhat related: Squenix also always talks about all its games as if they've failed to hit targets, even though many of them had respectable looking numbers.
Yes, that's why those fuckers killed Deus Ex series before concluding Adam Jensen's story arc.

Everything bad that's happening to them is a well deserved consequence of this crime.

I think they’re just spending a bunch of money and expecting sales like they used to get. But people don’t care about Final Fantasy today like they did from Final Fantasy 7 up through Final Fantasy 13.

I wouldn’t say they’ve been chasing trends for decades. They’ve only been in this action mode for less than a decade; with Final Fantasy 15 starting as a spinoff game, and the 7 Remake being a project they were originally outsourcing to CyberConnect2.

Dragon Quest 11 is a pretty classic style JRPG, and that game came out in 2017. They’re doing stuff like the remakes of Live A Live and Star Ocean: The Second Story. They came out with that Dungeon Encounters game a couple years ago. The whole 360 era they were still coming out with the kind of stuff you’d expected from Square and Enix before. The only big thing, and this was a huge misstep on the part of Square Enix, is they didn’t shift gears on their whole Final Fantasy 13 Fabula Nova Crystallis thing after the negative reaction to FF13. And that first Final Fantasy 13 game didn’t sell bad, but the reaction to it was bad, and they spent a whole console generation with their flagship series (at least as far as the West was concerned) attached to an unpopular title. So they basically lost a generation of gamers to who Final Fantasy really meant something when they kept making FF13 games instead of retooling those titles into other projects. There big recent fumble was giving that Marvel's Avengers, which sounds like it was their most high profile big budget game, to Crystal Dynamics.

If BioWare acted like Square Enix today, smaller projects by former BioWare employees like NEO Scavenger and The Banner Saga would be happening under BioWare. You’d probably still be getting the types of games BioWare used to make out of BioWare, they’d just be smaller lower budget projects than Anthem, Inquisition, and Mass Effect 3.
One thing is Squeenix JP and the other is western Squeenix. The latter is a second class citizen, but yes. Avengers flopped, no other way around it.

DQ11 is a classic style rpg because the whole series' shtick is being a classic rpg with every iteration. FF, on the other hand, has built a legacy of being a completely different thing each game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I played Magic: Arena the last few days so was able to have a series on the second monitor. Watched the Dragon Age cartoon just to see how bad it was. It's just fundamentally shit, not even really bad in a way that's interesting to talk about. Even the gay sex romance is just predictably quippy in a boring way. You can't even lul at the ubercringe as the amount is naturally limited by the fact that 80% of the show is just drawn out anime fights

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom