Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

MerchantKing

Learned
I've never actually played a Dragon Age game. I've only see videos of the cutscenes and assumed the gameplay was worse than KOTOR so not worth playing. BG2 already had too much of that gay cutscene garbage.

Oberon

Learned
I've never actually played a Dragon Age game. I've only see videos of the cutscenes and assumed the gameplay was worse than KOTOR so not worth playing. BG2 already had too much of that gay cutscene garbage.
I played DA:O when it came out because I thought it would have a toolset.
It did, but it was a really lame one.
I remember picking the noble and thinking it would be RP heavy, but then it turned into an action dungeon and my character's old lady mom claimed to be a "battle maiden", that was the first of many cringes.
At least Leliana was waifu though

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
DA:O and the DLC were solid enough as a basis but they HAD to shit it up. Just HAD TO. DA2 and DA:I are so bad they make DA:O worse retroactively by existing, like the Star Wars Prequels.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Perhaps the greatest advantage of the first DA was its potential. not what he was, but what he could have been. "Origin", i.e. the origin of the characters, but also the source of the entire story.

I will never fully understand why they derailed everything later. The concept of the plot as the story of a man who climbs the ladder in the big city is refreshing, but as a side game, not a second, empty act after so much was promised in the first.

The Inquisition was clearly an attempt to reboot the brand, but carried out by much less talented people. Dreadwolf will probably be another reboot, but this time the crew is even worse and even less talented. To the point where they can't finish production. If they don't show gameplay now, they never will.

scytheavatar

Scholar
DA:O and the DLC were solid enough as a basis but they HAD to shit it up. Just HAD TO. DA2 and DA:I are so bad they make DA:O worse retroactively by existing, like the Star Wars Prequels.

Reality is that how Bioware handled DA post DAO was a mistake but their heart was in the right place that DAO's "basis" wasn't something they could use for future DA games. Cause RTWP was a dead end design wise and Bioware had to evolve past it sooner or latter. Too bad they didn't make a turn based game like Larian did.

Perhaps the greatest advantage of the first DA was its potential. not what he was, but what he could have been. "Origin", i.e. the origin of the characters, but also the source of the entire story.

I will never fully understand why they derailed everything later. The concept of the plot as the story of a man who climbs the ladder in the big city is refreshing, but as a side game, not a second, empty act after so much was promised in the first.

The Inquisition was clearly an attempt to reboot the brand, but carried out by much less talented people. Dreadwolf will probably be another reboot, but this time the crew is even worse and even less talented. To the point where they can't finish production. If they don't show gameplay now, they never will.
I actually expect DW to be something like Andromeda. A mess, sure. But even that mess did not taint the public's perception of the brand like FO76 and Starfield did for Bethesda. People either see Andromeda as the red headed stepchild of the franchise or just don't care about it, but the love for ME hasn't decreased, not even for a minute. Biowarians are also marvelites, they want their franchises to keep running forever. And since Bioware means gay points for EA, I don't think they'll ax them completely. They'll butcher them yes, but they won't kill that brand. They have to keep it alive for those sweet gay points.

9ted6

Educated
I replayed DA:O not long ago and it doesn't hold up that well. It was one of those things where at the time it seemed pretty good but in hindsight it was a pretty big decline in most respects. You can also trace many of the problems 2 and Inquisition had back to Origins. They undoubtedly destroyed what little Origins had good but still everything from the grindy quests to the Whedon dialogue was present in Origins, just much less blatantly.

Oberon

Learned

I actually expect DW to be something like Andromeda. A mess, sure. But even that mess did not taint the public's perception of the brand like FO76 and Starfield did for Bethesda. People either see Andromeda as the red headed stepchild of the franchise or just don't care about it, but the love for ME hasn't decreased, not even for a minute. Biowarians are also marvelites, they want their franchises to keep running forever. And since Bioware means gay points for EA, I don't think they'll ax them completely. They'll butcher them yes, but they won't kill that brand. They have to keep it alive for those sweet gay points.
How many fans are even left after so many years? I bet this thread is the most active discussion on the game on the entire Internet. There are probably some cat ladies out there who might give it a nostalgia buy if it enters their into twitter feed long enough for them to be made aware of it's existence and it doesn't cut too deep into their rent and kitty litter budget, but I predict this game will be dead on arrival if it is ever released, and the average playtime will be around 20 minutes to an hour.

How many fans are even left after so many years? I bet this thread is the most active discussion on the game on the entire Internet. There are probably some cat ladies out there who might give it a nostalgia buy if it enters their into twitter feed long enough for them to be made aware of it's existence and it doesn't cut too deep into their rent and kitty litter budget, but I predict this game will be dead on arrival if it is ever released, and the average playtime will be around 20 minutes to an hour.
They're not in the limelight, but a lot of people still care about them. Inquisition was Bioware's Starfield moment but a lot of people like it still. Remember: Bioware fans play their games because of their characters, they literally don't care about anything else.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
not what he was, but what he could have been.

So DA identifies as a 'he'.

Yes, but don't let that fool you - he's still gay.

Yes, but does EA need Bioware to keep making Dragon Age? Perhaps without Bioware everything would have been faster and more profitable.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Yeah it didn't change anything for hardcore fans because they just considered it non-canon garbage and moved on.

But practically speaking, Andromeda killed Mass Effect, and arguably, BioWare as a whole. Even Inquisition has its defenders, but almost everyone agrees that Andromeda fails as a RPG.

It's just been one long, downward spiral from then on.

Camel

Scholar
Yeah it didn't change anything for hardcore fans because they just considered it non-canon garbage and moved on.

But practically speaking, Andromeda killed Mass Effect, and arguably, BioWare as a whole. Even Inquisition has its defenders, but almost everyone agrees that Andromeda fails as a RPG.

It's just been one long, downward spiral from then on.
I consider DA2 as a start of the Bioware's long downward spiral. BioWare gradually lost the best talent and replaced them with talentless and woke hacks. Losing writers like Brent Knowles and Chris L'Etoile and not replacing them.
DA:I's writers are mostly the same who made DA:O.
Lead Writer:
David Gaider
Writers:
Brianne Battye
Sheryl Chee
Sylvia Feketekuty
Jennifer Brandes Hepler
Mary Kirby
Lukas Kristjanson
Patrick Weekes

Last edited:

9ted6

Educated

Bioware fans play their games because of their characters, they literally don't care about anything else.
And what fans they have left like everyone being a redditor or gay sex enthusiast. We can point and laugh but Bioware really is just playing to their audience.

It's like Star Wars or Marvel. All they want to see is a Grey Warden logo and someone making a snarky quip and they'll clap nonstop.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I replayed DA:O not long ago and it doesn't hold up that well. It was one of those things where at the time it seemed pretty good but in hindsight it was a pretty big decline in most respects. You can also trace many of the problems 2 and Inquisition had back to Origins. They undoubtedly destroyed what little Origins had good but still everything from the grindy quests to the Whedon dialogue was present in Origins, just much less blatantly.
Examples.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
I get the feeling people on the codex hate DA:O because it played a pretty major role in the casualization of RPGs, but to be honest it's not a bad game and it's worth playing if you have nothing else on the go. The MMO style combat is a big turn-off for a lot of people but it's challenging enough that it kept me invested for most of the game.

Oberon

Learned
I get the feeling people on the codex hate DA:O because it played a pretty major role in the casualization of RPGs, but to be honest it's not a bad game and it's worth playing if you have nothing else on the go. The MMO style combat is a big turn-off for a lot of people but it's challenging enough that it kept me invested for most of the game.
It was just... disappointing and bland. You would level up and get stronger but still 90% of the time you were fighting the same 4 recycled darkspawn. There weren't really a depth of options for dealing with things, everything turned into an action dungeon where you massacred hordes of mindless enemies. The world and the storytelling were uninspired, Grey Warden really was a fitting name for the boring order you joined.
It pioneered day 1 DLC which isn't that big of a deal I guess but at the time it pissed me off when that faggot came up to you in camp and tried to bring you on a quest but instead a fucking store page popped up.
It was honestly a 4/10 in it's time.

It was just... disappointing and bland. You would level up and get stronger but still 90% of the time you were fighting the same 4 recycled darkspawn. There weren't really a depth of options for dealing with things, everything turned into an action dungeon where you massacred hordes of mindless enemies. The world and the storytelling were uninspired, Grey Warden really was a fitting name for the boring order you joined.
It pioneered day 1 DLC which isn't that big of a deal I guess but at the time it pissed me off when that faggot came up to you in camp and tried to bring you on a quest but instead a fucking store page popped up.
It was honestly a 4/10 in it's time.
DAO was Bioware's Pillars of Eternity.

9ted6

Educated
Examples.
1. Everything with Shale.
2. Various dialogue with the companions making Twitter tier sex jokes and puns along with Marvel quips. No one in a medieval setting would say they'll "projectile vomit" if they see two people kiss.
3. The Maker's generally implied to not be real and there are extremely few dialogue options where you can express faith or question doubters. This isn't inherently bad but it sets up Inquisition's retcons.
4. Most bulletin quests in towns and many side quests in general are fetch or kill quests. Main quests devolve into going room to room clearing out enemy spawns with minimal or no C&C or world interactivity involved.
5. Many gay characters with no one in this medieval setting besides Morrigan ever commenting on it even slightly negatively. It set the stage for the universally inclusive funland that Inquisition became.
6. Isabella though she's less annoying and much less important to the plot.
7. Less blatant than the next two but there are definitely hints of Chantry Always Bad, Elves Always Good and Qunari Are Misunderstood going on to varying degrees.

DemonKing

Arcane
I consider DA2 as a start of the Bioware's long downward spiral.
This.

It was clear from this release on that being owned by EA was going to destroy Bioware (if it wasn't already clear the moment the sale was announced). Origins and ME2 were released under the EA banner too but most of the work was probably done prior to acquisition. DA2 was a shoddy rush job pushed out the door too early and destroyed any credibility Bioware still had after being bought.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom