Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age....I hate to admit it, but derp roads killed it..

Lesifoere

Liturgist
VentilatorOfDoom said:
You are very quick to spot the good things in DA, but seem to have a blind eye for the flaws. Objectivity is not one of your strengths I'd wager.

Remember who you're talking to.

And yes, despite that "enemies will go after heavily armored targets" malarky in loading-screen tips, they went after my mages often enough. Taunt works, but not that well.

There should have been a built-in threat meter.

Grifthin

Educated
To be fair other attributes are useful for a mage although not strictly neccassary.

Willpower gives you a larger mana pool - if you playing a mage with lots of sustained abilties or a healer this is awesome.

Cunning allows more conversation options.

Constitution is usefull for the occasional point and if your going arcane warrior.

Magic - well duh.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Grifthin said:
To be fair other attributes are useful for a mage although not strictly neccassary.

Willpower gives you a larger mana pool - if you playing a mage with lots of sustained abilties or a healer this is awesome.

Constitution is usefull for the occasional point and if your going arcane warrior.

Magic - well duh.

of course that's all just an asumption since the game doesn't tell you what's going on - but I think the higher your Magic the harder to resist your spells. besides your spell dealing more damage obv. So if you want your spells to hit bosses it's better to focus solely on magic.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Grifthin said:

Death siphon. No mana problem ever again what with you wading through heaps of trash mob bodies all the time. You won't even have to chug pots except at boss fights, but even then I hear you can take a certain blood mage talent and soak up Wynne's healing aura for lolfinite blue bar.

Pick up some extra cunning from the Fade inside the mages' tower, max out coercion, and that'll let you access more options than you know what to do which (and most of which lead to the same responses anyway).

Did you say before that your disabling spells were often resisted? Because for all my mages, I dumped most points into Magic and resists were far and few, except with dragons.

Grifthin

Educated
How is that assumption - the game specifically states it on the attribute allocation sheet what the effects are of the various statistics.

Things like 1 Willpower = 5 stamina/mana etc.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Grifthin said:
How is that assumption - the game specifically states it on the attribute allocation sheet what the effects are of the various statistics.

Does it? yeah +1 magic = +1 spellpower.
My fault, should have read the description more carefully. Now everything is clear!

It's much better than to read something like 12 + 42 (magic) vs 80 (spellresistance) = resisted! in the combat log.

hakuroshi

Augur
Grifthin said:
A combat log is useful yes. However the game does actually say magic= spellpower.

It does, but when I check spellpower icon on character screen (where also armor and some other stuff) its base value seems to be willpower, not magic.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Grifthin said:
A combat log is useful yes. However the game does actually say magic= spellpower.

but where does it say that higher spellpower=overcoming cheese boss resistances? and how high has it to be?
(after all, judging by the significantly shortened duration of certain spells it could be just scripted that certain spells don't work or can have a certain max duration only, and that spellpower has no influence on this. Do you know how that works? I don't, therefor I used the term assumption.)

It does, but when I check spellpower icon on character screen (where also armor and some other stuff) its base value seems to be willpower, not magic.

omg I hope that's not true, anyway, if you equip an item with +x magic you can instantly see the increased magic staff damage, so magic certainly has an influence on that

hiver

Volourn said:
I played BG2 3 times. Don't asusme shit.
Then you were otherwise well acquainted with those game mechanics and rules.

- Im not assuming, otherwise i wouldnt have asked.

If the argument is that combat in particular game is too easy, for experienced player that knows details of the rules - therefore he most often chooses to conduct most of combat in pretty similar fashion that he knows will work, with very often the same-ish party...

And if that is an argument that some game is bad, then it can be applied to any game really, not the least Dragon Age, since posts about how game is teh easy and one approach can get you through most of everything are common around here - from the people that are playing it for the first time.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Volourn said:
All other spells / special debilitating attacks are fucking useless"

This simply isn't true. If it wans't for spells like paralsysis, I'd have pretty much zero chance in beating individual enemy 'bosses' like revenants (even thoguh they technically aren't bosses) or Branka.

Itr's funny you make thata rgument when i've seen other DA bashers criticze DA for special spells/debilitating attacks are too powerful versus powers.

I've read people bragging how they raped x boss by simple casting cone of cold over. *shrug*

So.. question remains... which basher group is correct?

The group that claims these spells are too useful, or just plain useless versus bosses?

Hmm.. Great Pickle, Indeed.

Naturally you can cheese by chaining 2 mages together with CoC, but I've found that Force field, crushing barrier, paralyze, etc. Just don't stay active for long enough to be of any use. Hell, with some bosses they completely resisted the hold effect of crushing barrier. Maybe my Mage's magic was not quite strong enough (It was in the 40's though).

Also, most melee special attacks didn't work for me. Shield bash, sweep, etc. 99% of the time got resisted by the revanents and other bosses. This wouldn't be such a huge deal, but the stamina costs in this game make it so you need to make sure every move you do counts. 1/4 through most revenant battles for me just turned into a potion chug, even at higher levels.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Also, I think the mages strongest points in this game aren't there damage spells, but there CC.

The night mare spell tree, paralyze tree, and crushing barrier tree, and hex tree are all fantastic.

So I would like to retract my previous statement that "all spells are practically worthless against bosses" to "All spells except those in the hex tree". Misdirection Curse > Curse of Mortality (every hit is a crit and every miss is a hit) actually seem to work pretty well against bosses. My B

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You are very quick to spot the good things in DA, but seem to have a blind eye for the flaws. Objectivity is not one of your strengths I'd wager.
_________________"

see.. This is your ignorance speaking. It seems some people read all my posts, pick out all the times I am pro DA yet conviently IGNORE any criticism I have of it, and there's quite a bit. That's NOT my fault; but your blind eye and your lack of objectivity.

Wanna know why?

Itr's much easier for you to label me as a fanboy and ignore anything negative I say about the game so you cna pretend I think the game is eprfect so you can conviently point out the falsehood that I only see the positive.

Which is bullshit. but ah well.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No, don't. That's the pussy way out. BRING IT THE FUCK ON!!!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What's with Volourn being agreeable and displaying intelligence lately? Has the decline proceeded so far that it resulted in the incline through Volourn?

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Vaarna_Aarne said:
What's with Volourn being agreeable and displaying intelligence lately? Has the decline proceeded so far that it resulted in the incline through Volourn?

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
see.. This is your ignorance speaking. It seems some people read all my posts, pick out all the times I am pro DA yet conviently IGNORE any criticism I have of it, and there's quite a bit. That's NOT my fault; but your blind eye and your lack of objectivity.
No I'm very well aware of your small criticisms you drop here and there. Like you calling the end of the sacred urn quest where you always get a bit ash regardless what you do, LAME.
Your critisims - however - don't change your Volournian verdict that DA questdesign is the best evar, amirite?
Wanna know what ignorance is? Here's an example:

VoD: spells don't work well or at all on bosses, at least the spells I picked.
Volourn: Lies. Bullshit. Also Moran.

Who is being ignorant? Is it me, or is it you?

Liberal is right btw, Hexes work very well with revenants for example or everything else for that matter, I know that now that I have Morrigan instead of Wynne.
And it's perfectly fine that some spells are more effective than others, it's not as if DA was different than any other RPGs in that regard. There is, however a tiny difference: the inability to change your spell selection for something working better. And no, the spells that work on the tougher monsters are not legion, so that the limited spellselection is a non-issue as you contended. Also it might be that our differing experience with the game might have something to do with the different version we're using. After all playing hard on the xbawks is not the same like playing nightmare on the PC.

Volourn said:
Itr's much easier for you to label me as a fanboy and ignore anything negative I say about the game so you cna pretend I think the game is eprfect so you can conviently point out the falsehood that I only see the positive.
Which is bullshit. but ah well.

Except I didn't label you a fanboy. Making shit up again?
And accusing everyone of lying as soon as he reports something conflicting with your xbox game experience isn't the master example for objectivity. Or is it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"And no, the spells that work on the tougher monsters are not legion, so that the limited spellselection is a non-issue as you contended."

Give it up, dude. You are flat out lying. Or plainly suck. A huge number of spells are effective versus bosses, and the sepll selections is fine. By level 10, you should have around 15 spells, so don't tell me you cna't find even a handful of useful spells vs bosses. Stop the bullshit, and tell the truth.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
Give it up, dude. You are flat out lying. Or plainly suck. A huge number of spells are effective versus bosses, and the sepll selections is fine. By level 10, you should have around 15 spells, so don't tell me you cna't find even a handful of useful spells vs bosses. Stop the bullshit, and tell the truth.

1) I don't lie.
2) I'm level 14 now, have 19 spells, out of which 5 are passive abilities. That gives me a variety in spell usage like say a lvl3 Wizard. Anyway, you like it, I don't. So I guess we can just agree to disagree.

other topic:
You said Ascension is shit. May I ask why? After all it doesn't change much.
- boss fights are more difficult, and since you had such an easy time in the vanilla game that is hardly a disadvantage, no?
- you get useful bhaalspawn powers, not just cure light wounds, improvement?
- you get additional RP options, you don't have to fight LG monk Balthazar
- sadly it's not about dwarves, perhaps that's the reason it's shit

So, what is shitty about this mod?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"other topic:
You said Ascension is shit. May I ask why? After all it doesn't change much.
- boss fights are more difficult, and since you had such an easy time in the vanilla game that is hardly a disadvantage, no?
- you get useful bhaalspawn powers, not just cure light wounds, improvement?
- you get additional RP options, you don't have to fight LG monk Balthazar
- sadly it's not about dwarves, perhaps that's the reason it's shit"

It's shit because it's garbage to compare a vanilla game to a friggin' UNOFFIICAL mod (even if it's by a dveloper) that was made months after release to fix/improve the game.

And, i never said BG2 *was* easy. I said it was EASiER than DA. There's a huge difference. Any game where I could posisble die vs bosses 2-3 times is not easy to me. Unlike, say, a game like TOEE where I rarerly died if ever. That's an easy game.

P.S. PLus, pretty much all BG2 mods suck. By default.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Volourn said:
P.S. PLus, pretty much all BG2 mods suck. By default.

Nah, there're BG2 mods that contain better writing than DA's. (And NWN mods with better writing than the NWN OC's, or DA's, or JE's, or ME's.) :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom