Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age....I hate to admit it, but derp roads killed it..

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
@ Grunker: I'm going through them. Have some patience.

@ FeelTheRads: Used it once (maybe twice) when it was appropriate.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another problem I see with DA's combat is that potions are really exploitable. Just drink one whenever you're hurt. The fact that they have a cooldown doesn't matter since there are about 4 different kinds of them, light, normal, strong and über-strong.

Silellak

Cipher
JarlFrank said:
Another problem I see with DA's combat is that potions are really exploitable. Just drink one whenever you're hurt. The fact that they have a cooldown doesn't matter since there are about 4 different kinds of them, light, normal, strong and über-strong.
Yeah, I agree. At least on Hard and Nightmare, the potion cooldown should be universal (at least for all potions of that type), and twice as long. The final fight was a breeze because I'd just cooked up 99 of all healing potion types and 99 regular mana potions beforehand.

Also, the ability to craft DURING combat needs to fuck off and die. I almost wonder if it's a bug, since it's so ridiculous. Though it's rather amusing, considering one of the big complaints about DA combat is that it's too fast and chaotic, yet it seems it's really not fast and chaotic ENOUGH since your mages apparently have time to sit down and brew an infinite number of potions.

Castanova

Prophet
Originality is a component here. At the time BG2 was released, I can't say that there was really anything like it. BG1 was obviously similar but I think of it more as a test run before BG2 was produced.

When I think of DA, I don't see originality anywhere. In fact, it seems to me to be a regression in almost all respects.

* Smaller player party
Fewer party make-up options means shallower tactics, less customization, and worse replayability. It also reduces the effect of encounter design since every rationally-built party is generally equally capable of handling every encounter.

* Only 3 classes
The specializations did not provide nearly enough differentiation (especially given you can pick 2 specs per character). As far as I'm concerned there were 4 classes: tank, melee DPS, mage, healer/mage. This is compared to BG2 which had many more classes that were not so neatly pigeonholed into MMORPG functions.

* Worse enemy AI
Enemy AI was changed to follow the MMORPG model where you have to handle "aggro." Keeping mages safe in DA is too trivial which means your own mages are too effective. Enemy mages rarely get the chance to use any spells against a competent player due to Force Field, Crushing Prison, Sleep, etc etc. Immunities are almost non-existent in DA (and the accompanying buffs) so each battle is the same as the last and requires no probing / learning from the player. Furthermore, because buffs/immunities are almost non-existent, there is virtually no interaction between you and enemy mages besides the player trying to get their crowd control spells off ASAP.

* Significantly worse itemization
DA might have some of the worst itemization I have ever seen in an RPG. Drops from enemies were virtually useless across the board, even quest rewards were generally awful. Everything was MMORPG style which meant that magic items were just normal items with some boosts to your attributes. The only phat lewtz I got the entire game were two items that I bought from vendors for half of my life savings each. 99% of drops are crafting components in a game where crafting is tangential, at best.

* Less visually diverse dungeons
While the game did an admirable job given it's toolset based and 3D, it was still unable to surpass the qualities of a hand-drawn dungeon where every room can potentially be unique.

* Worse dungeon crawling
Because of the items above, the dungeon crawling experience as a whole was less effective and much, much more repetitive. The Derp Roads were almost too boring to trudge through and some of the other main dungeons were almost as bad. Also, besides The Fade sequence, none of the dungeons had anything even resembling clever traps, interesting non-hostile NPCs, etc etc.

What is NEW in Dragon Age?

* Additional C&C versus BG2
I know this gives certain people a boner but, even for them, the C&C in DA is relatively minimal and has almost no effect on the actual gameplay. Most of it just affects the blurbs after you beat the game. The Loghain/Zevran stuff doesn't count because BG2 had similar features regarding NPC party members. Quests are all two-sided, pick your allegiance style and didn't really offer that much depth.

* Gifts for your party members
Sometimes they set off some conversations/quests but was it really necessary to force the player to gather and manually give gifts? What did this feature add to the game?

* New setting/story/lore
While not terrible, the new setting/story/lore pale in comparison to the decades of work that has gone into DnD and which BG2 was able to leverage.

* New efforts in streamlining the interface
Uh, cool?

Silellak

Cipher
I think the Origins are an important innovative feature you didn't mention. I honestly went in expecting them to just be a stupid gimmick, but so far I've found that they are a fantastic way to see different sides of areas or characters that you may only glimpse briefly during another playthrough. I don't think the Female City Elf origin would've been half as interesting if I hadn't already played through the game and seen some of the results from it and met some of the characters who played a bigger role in it.

As someone else mentioned, it's also pretty cool that you see the after-effect of each Origin story in-game, even if you didn't play that particular Origin story.

To re-post some stuff from ITS:
Obviously I could sit here for hours and list things I would want changed or improved - I could do that for EVERY game, even my all-time favorites like Ultima 7 - but the fact is, Dragon Age is easily the best RPG I've played since Lazarus, and a strong contender for being Bioware's best game - though I'd need to replay BG2 without Nostalgia Goggles before I could really decide. Though, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at an excuse to replay BG2...it's been a few years. I think the Origins idea in Dragon Age, which could've easily been a stupid gimmick, instead shines out as an original, very-well-implemented idea. That, and the fact that the game, despite its flaws, really presents me with morally grey areas most RPGs (especially Bioware RPGs) typically shy away from. I can't think of another RPG where letting a character be raped might actually be the "good" solution to a situation, if only because it means protecting the rest of your people.

Really it seems to boil down to this: Dragon Age has undeniable flaws, some glaring, some less-so. To some, the truly brilliant moments easily outshine those flaws. To others, the brilliant moments aren't brilliant enough, or don't happen often enough, so the flaws stand-out more and bring the entire experience down. I think both perspectives are perfectly legitimate, and, like so many other things, really boil down to personal preference. And really, the "undeniable flaws with brilliant moments/features/etc." describes pretty much every great RPG I've ever played.

It doesn't hurt that I really enjoy the lore behind the world of Thedas, even if it's not the most original fantasy world ever cooked up, and I'd much rather play more stories in that world than play yet-another Forgotten Realms RPG.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Vault Dweller said:
Lesifoere said:
Do you deliberately miss the point or are you genuinely that obtuse? Hint: all the things I've listed talk to you, i.e. they're more than boring cannon fodder to mow through. The dryads give you a quest...
Oh my! A fetch it quest! If I was a woman I would be wet right now, dripping with excitement and reinstalling the game.

...the genie in the pocket plane gives you a quest; the other genie gives you that silly test and summons an ogre, etc etc.
I'd file it under "trivial, meaningless shit", but I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

Ooh, I'm told. Let me pinch your cheeks. Puberty is something people are supposed to outgrow, you know.
No, you weren't "told", my dear girl. I merely commented on your statement that Imoen's mumblings and Jaheira's hysterics (which can only appeal to very impressionable teenage girls) were somehow a good thing. How old were you when you played BG2?

Cute. Athkatla isn't the only thing that makes BG2 good. Pretty much every single side-area--Trademeet and all--has DA's main-quest areas beat, if only by virtue of not forcing you into yet another way-too-long dungeon stuffed to the brim with idiotic quantities of trash mobs.
If you say so.

It's really said to see a previously rational poster turning into a raging fanboy, attacking everybody who dares criticise teh favourite gaem. What you basically said is that adding additional content like quests and character reactions to a dungeons is bad because it a "trivial, meaningless shit" and for teenage girls. That coming after you defended braidead quest-box design in DA. If that's not bashing BG2 simply because it supposed to somehow prove your "DA is teh best game ever" agenda i don't know what it is. Also, it seems lke old fanboy tactic "argue against the person, not his points" is in use.
Lame, very lame.

Vault Dweller

Developer
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Great post, Ventilator. I don't agree with everything (see below), but damn, it was a well thought through, well presented response. Bravo!

applause.gif

Now, some comments:

"Challenging, tactical combat" :

1) Challenging: I played on hard, now on nightmare and I can assure you there is no challenge to speak of in DA - if you don't count the challenge of crafting potions, mid-combat if need be . Every single lich (at least if you actually fight them and don't resort to cheese) in BG2 poses a bigger threat to the party than even the archdemon in DA. And not only is drinking potions the pinnacle of tactics to overcome the challenges in DA - no, most often it is the only thing that works at all.
You think you can face Demogorgon in BG2 armed with no plan, unprepared, without the right spells memorized, but in possesion of 50 healing potions and prevail?
Somewhat agree. Three comments:

- potions are more of an exploit that fuck up the system than an integrate part of the combat design. The combat is challenging because if you don't spam potions and don't watch what you're doing, you'll die easily.

- you compare DA combat overall to the toughest enemies in BG2: the super hard Demogorgon, which was the expansion end boss, and liches which were the only serious enemies in the game.

- you say "if you don't resort to cheese", defending the BG design, yet spamming potions in DA is the worst kind of cheese, wouldn't you agree? In other words, you're applying two different standards.

2) tactical:
That means you should have options, many options and different approaches to win specific encounters. Not only lacks DA the options - even worse it doesn't even require them, using the exact same approach for every encounter wins you the game easily.
As soon as you fight some boss...
Disagree.

- the enemy #1 is DA is a crowd, not a boss. The game gives you a plenty of options to deal with crowds and keep them from overpowering you.

Again, if you are not spamming potions, you can't just click on enemies until they die.

Winning the fight by utilizing healing until you slowly mowed the boss down. Are there other options? No. Is this the pinnacle of applied tactical combat? I doubt it.
It's not, but see above.

Or fighting the cowled wizards that come after you (don't pay for the licence) if you cast spells in Athkatla.
I've already agreed that the mage fights and mages were done better in BG2.

The only combat related thing I prefer in DA is the fact that rogues and especially warriors are more interesting to play than in DnD CRPGs. That's an improvement.
Agree.

However every encounter in DA basically has you do the same thing. I'm pretty sure the inflexibility of the spellsystem is to blame, because you couldn't do things differently even if you wanted to. In BG2 you can handle things differently (and no Grifthin, "Well in Buldurs gate 2 every battle went exactly the same way" is pure nonsense, you wouldn't even be able to win certain difficult fights that way)
That's what I disagree with. With the exceptions of few enemies you could just click on things until they died, partly because only spell casters were given any options, and partly because there was no real reason to try anything.

- you enter Firkraags dungeon
- a couple of Orcs, no matter
- vampiric mists, you use someone protected from leveldrain and Azuredge or Mace of Disruption
Or buy spells removing the effects, which is what I did.

- next level, orcs shoot at you from both sides, doors are hidden, you cast invis on the party, then have a thief detect and open the doors, have a fighter deal with the orcs
Never bothered with it. Orcs were easy to kill, so marching in, directing your spellcasters and ranged fighters at the orcs, while sending your thief to open the doors, and then directing your fighters at the orcs was enough.

- you meet some golems, you use someone who can take a beating, Haerdalis or a fighter/mage with access to mirror image, use a scroll of protection from poison vs the poison cloud of the adamantine golem
Or just kill the fuckers and heal the survivors. The golems go down easily. The adamantium golem is a , but if I recall correctly, he can't get through the narrow entrance, so send in your best fighter, have him fuck the golem to death while you cast healing spells on him.

- next room, weak orcs, kill them or not
- next room powerful undead, if you're high enough level it will be like 15 ancient vampires, a real threat. you hide your party and use someone with the amulett of power, or turn them, or sunray
Killed them all without stopping to think that they were powerful undead and appreciate the quality of the design.

- many doors with genies behind them, you use a mage with true sight and protection from fire, kill them with chromatic orb
Used someone with true sight (Keldorn, I think), send in the fighters, took some damage from the fire, but the genies weren't challenging enough to require tactics. They only required someone with true sight.

- a room with an elder orb, you're buffed? antimagic ray will debuff you at once and make casting impossible, you use someone with rage to hit hard and ignore most effects of the rays, or you use someone with high MR
Same as before. Send in the fighters, click on the orb until the job is done.

- you find treasure, another adventuring party attacks, you retreat your party and have your mage unleash 2x sunfire amidst them, or skull traps while under the effect of protection from magical energy
That was one of the toughest battles in the area. Tried it at least 5-7 times, had to prepare each time, come up with a strategy, memorize the right spells, etc.

- you enter next level and talk to the Dragon then you have to defeat a high level wizard
Wasn't a challenge.

- you go back to kill the dragon, certainly a special approach is warranted here? You make everyone immune to fire with potions/scrolls, you cast remove fear, you have the melee attack him, while the mages cast 2x lower resistance (yes in Bg2 you can actally remove the boss-resistances with the right spells), a cleric casts doom, a mage cast malison, and then you try to kill him with Chromatic Orb or FoD
The dragon was very challenging. Took me more than 20 attempts and much frustrated rage to kill him.

So, I'd say that BG2 had maybe 20 really good and challenging fights that are better than anything DA has to offer, but overall, DA is more challenging because the average enemies in DA are harder than average enemies in BG. Considering that fighters and rogues have no combat options in BG and simply whack monsters until they die, DA wins by a small margin.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hamster said:
It's really said to see a previously rational poster turning into a raging fanboy....
Teh irony.

What you basically said is that adding additional content like quests and character reactions to a dungeons is bad because it a "trivial, meaningless shit" and for teenage girls.
I said that Imoen's mumblings and Jaheira hysterics (including her scream "oh noes not my husband!!! oh what am I going to?!! oh well let's go adventuring and loot some dungeons!!!") is trivial, meaningless shite.

That coming after you defended braidead quest-box design in DA. If that's not bashing BG2 simply because it supposed to somehow prove your "DA is teh best game ever" agenda i don't know what it is. Also, it seems lke old fanboy tactic "argue against the person, not his points' is in use.
Hamster, old boy. Your neurotic mumblings and lame attempts to make a point bore me as much as Aerie's whining or Jaheira's endless bitching. Do shut up.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Hamster said:
Also, it seems lke old fanboy tactic "argue against the person, not his points' is in use.

Vault Dweller said:
Hamster, old boy. Your neurotic mumblings and lame attempts to make a point bore me as much as Aerie's whining or Jaheira's endless bitching. Do shut up.

Sad, really sad. At this point discussing anything with you makes no sense. Maybe in a month or so you will get over a feeling of fanboyish butthurt and will be in a state capable of having a civilised discussion.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's your opinion on the overlong dungeons with too many samey encounters, Vince?
It's quite obvious that some areas have too much filler, and while it's good that the average encounter is challenging if you don't overuse potions, it can get quite annoying after a while.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
JarlFrank said:
It's quite obvious that some areas have too much filler, and while it's good that the average encounter is challenging if you don't overuse potions, it can get quite annoying after a while.

That's subjective.

R00fles.

Vault Dweller

Developer
JarlFrank said:
What's your opinion on the overlong dungeons with too many samey encounters, Vince?
Bad design. Greatly reduces the replayability created by the superb quest design.

Silellak

Cipher
The funny thing is, it's almost like there's no middle-ground...most areas either feel too long or even, on rare occasion, too short. Very few of them feel just right. It's not a game breaker for me, but it's definitely lowered the chances of me actually completing a second or third playthrough anytime soon.

Dnny

Educated
It has totally annihilated any chance the game had that I would play it a second time.
I did most of the RPG I liked, even some I didn't like much like Morrowind, at least two to three times but I will NEVER go through DA again to see the same huge dungeons filled with same-monsters even though some quests can be interesting and had multiple choices. I don't care if there is another way to do the Sacred urn when doing the sacred urn means fighting hordes of idiotic cultists for an hour without any sensible NPC interaction. I actually watched at the time it took me to do some of the dungeons from beginning to end and I was there thinking wtf I was wasting my time on. Being a completionist I still had to see the end of DA before letting the shitty game rot for good so like a masochist I still did deep roads and the idiotic darkspawns+archdemon end fight.

Thought I did a good thing buying the game at first, now I think I just wasted my money and promise I won't touch another Bioshit game again.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Silellak said:
The funny thing is, it's almost like there's no middle-ground...most areas either feel too long or even, on rare occasion, too short.
I felt that Fade area in Redcliff was to short. I actually liked it, it had pretty cool design. I just entered Fade in Mage's Tower. Hope it will be fun and not too long.

made

Arcane
I actually enjoyed exploring most of the other dungeons in DA, just not deep roads. The various temples/ruins felt well done, with lots of things to discover. Deep roads were just too lenghty and boring imo.

Dnny

Educated
Hamster said:
Silellak said:
The funny thing is, it's almost like there's no middle-ground...most areas either feel too long or even, on rare occasion, too short.
I felt that Fade area in Redcliff was to short. I actually liked it, it had pretty cool design. I just entered Fade in Mage's Tower. Hope it will be fun and not too long.

The mage tower is the epitome of long, boring, shit. The fade part is the worst unless you are drawn by the colorful blur, it is long, it has no interaction and little meaningful dialogue (moar like monologue amiright), alone in a dungeon for 45 minutes fighting brainless monsters with cheesy transformations and ridiculous "puzzles" (having to turn into a golem to open doors might look like funny for the first two doors you do but when it gets spammed to all the areas of the fade it just look stupid and same-boring-shit that you shouldn't have to do because it is oh so meaningless)

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Sigh... i was afraid of that. Well, i don't see it being worse than Derp Roads at least...

Elzair

Cipher
I hate to say it (no I don't) but, to me, Dragon Age: Origins feels like a JRPG. In fact, it feels far more like a JRPG than Planescape: Torment does. At least in Torment you were able to pick up stuff off the ground and attack whomever you choose.

Yes, DA is far more difficult than BG, but the difficulty just comes from spamming legions of trash enemies to overwhelm a party. Eventually, the combat just go too boring for me, so I set the difficulty to easy and just plowed my way through.

Elzair

Cipher
Dnny said:
The mage tower is the epitome of long, boring, shit. The fade part is the worst unless you are drawn by the colorful blur, it is long, it has no interaction and little meaningful dialogue (moar like monologue amiright), alone in a dungeon for 45 minutes fighting brainless monsters with cheesy transformations and ridiculous "puzzles" (having to turn into a golem to open doors might look like funny for the first two doors you do but when it gets spammed to all the areas of the fade it just look stupid and same-boring-shit that you shouldn't have to do because it is oh so meaningless)

It was kind of boring, but at least it was short. I found the massive temple of crazy cultists and the caves of endless darkspawn to be FAR worse.

Silellak

Cipher
Elzair said:
I hate to say it (no I don't) but, to me, Dragon Age: Origins feels like a JRPG. In fact, it feels far more like a JRPG than Planescape: Torment does. At least in Torment you were able to pick up stuff off the ground and attack whomever you choose.

Yes, DA is far more difficult than BG, but the difficulty just comes from spamming legions of trash enemies to overwhelm a party. Eventually, the combat just go too boring for me, so I set the difficulty to easy and just plowed my way through.
A JRPG how, exactly?

I've never seen a JRPG with as many possible choices and outcomes as DA:O presents. It seems like a pure Western RPG to me, actually.

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually enjoyed the trip into the Fade at the Mage Tower. The shapeshifting aspect reminded me a great deal of a Metroid-style game, albeit obviously simplified since it's just a small part of a much bigger game. Also, was nice to see what different companions had as their nightmares, and apparently two of them (Morrigan and Sten, I think?) have the willpower to break their illusion (so the PC isn't alone in that ability).

It's just a shame that, in the end, you HAVE to fight the Sloth Demon, unlike the Desire Demon in the Redcliffe quest that you can bargain with. Once again, though, I can see why this Fade trip would be repetitive and annoying on multiple playthroughs, other than seeing the nightmares of different companions play out.

Dnny

Educated
Elzair said:
Dnny said:

It was kind of boring, but at least it was short. I found the massive temple of crazy cultists and the caves of endless darkspawn to be FAR worse.

Uh ?
I liked the temple better if only for the fact that you had your whole party and didn't go through fourty minutes of blurry shit, the fade visual effects really get old fast (NEEDZ MOAR BLOOM+++1#) and the quest was somewhat interesting given that you learn quite a bit of the backstory behind the chantry, the prophet, their beliefs and past wars. The mage tower is boring shit and there is nothing of worth to learn there.

I hated the caves of endless darkspawns more than the mage tower/fade though. The game only goes downhill after the deep roads (I say that because I did the deep roads last in the quest of finding allies), the ending is pure shit with endless darkspawns armies too and the landmseet is shit with no interaction coming from your party NPC, only Alistair reacts which is expected considering it is about him taking or not taking the throne. I would have thought that your party NPC were more interested in the fate of Ferelden and would have given some input based on their own thoughts but whatever. Even Wynne who always give unasked-for advices didn't say much.

Silellak

Cipher
Dnny said:
Elzair said:
Dnny said:

Uh ?
I liked the temple better if only for the fact that you had your whole party and didn't go through fourty minutes of blurry shit, the fade visual effects really get old fast (NEEDZ MOAR BLOOM+++1#) and the quest was somewhat interesting given that you learn quite a bit of the backstory behind the chantry, the prophet, their beliefs and past wars. The mage tower is boring shit and there is nothing of worth to learn there.

I hated the caves of endless darkspawns more than the mage tower/fade though. The game only goes downhill after the deep roads (I say that because I did the deep roads last in the quest of finding allies), the ending is pure shit with endless darkspawns armies too and the landmseet is shit with no interaction coming from your party NPC, only Alistair reacts which is expected considering it is about him taking or not taking the throne. I would have thought that your party NPC were more interested in the fate of Ferelden and would have given some input based on their own thoughts but whatever. Even Wynne who always give unasked-for advices didn't say much.
The Landsmeet was a bit too short, and it's frustrating that it always results in combat in some form or another, but to call it shit just because your companions don't chime in? Really? Did it occur to you that perhaps they don't want to speak up since it might just make things worse, since they really have no place doing so?

"Why the fuck did that Elf/old lady/stupid bard/giant Quinari/giant golem/alcohol-smelling-Dwarf talk? Why do we care what they think? Fuck these guys, go Loghain woo!"

The only ones who should be speaking for your aside are the Arl, yourself as a Warden, Alastair as a Warden and canidate for the throne, and any other allies you've gathered. It makes perfect sense for your companions to keep their mouths shut during particular scene.

I also think the Landsmeet and everything after it through the end game are very well done, other than the amount of combat - but really, the ending should have a large amount of combat. The only real problem is that there's too much combat before the ending, so by the time you get there, you're thinking "Oh boy, I get to fight MORE DARKSPAWN." It was nice, though, that the hordes of Darkspawn you fought were suffeciently low-level, rather than being scaled up like most of the ones you encounter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom