Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age impressions

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by baronjohn, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Worm Liturgist

Worm
    For people who enjoy employing tactics on higher levels. Just how micro do you get? I think a lot of my issue is that I haven't explored the tactics windows (because it's a fucking mess) but even with that I think you'd still need to micromanage your guys pretty specifically. The more I like certain things about the game, the more I want to invalidate my own explanation of the game as MMORPG multi-boxing. However, I just can't.

I'd go a little further and say that levels do very little at all. You get more stats, but since your stats aren't capped, it really doesn't make a huge impact when a warrior has 40 strength other than equipping stuff. It does let you get new skills, which depending on your class may or may not be powerful. Since there is so little room for error putting a few points into lock picking or something to try it out, is a massive mistake which you get smacked down for.

While I can agree that level 10 to 20 makes a D&D character pretty insanely powerful, Dragon Age doesn't ever make your guy much stronger than he was at the very start of the game. Equipment seems pretty negligible too. All it takes are a few wolves and bad positioning and it's game over.

^ Top  
  2. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    This is easy to answer. Set tactics for the mop-up actions and leave the AoE or key stunning stuff to your manual control. If you don't want to micro to much some very specific rules aren't too bad either (target mage, condition health, and so on). But try to avoid assigning AoE spells because the AI will relentlessly fry your own dudes with them.

^ Top  
  3. Worm Liturgist

Worm
    Yeah I guess I just need to dig into that stupid window. However it still seems like a stun or knockback breaks my character's AI, I noticed this mainly in the fights against dragons.

EDIT: I mean I'd really rather there was a "attack who I told you to attack and blow your fucking cooldowns".

^ Top  
  4. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    I'm also playing on hard, and no offence, but...

... the Ogre has almost all melee attacks, except for 1 quite unthreatening rock-throw that he uses rarely. He moves at normal pace and has no helpers. How did you not just kite him to death (you know, have whichever character he's attacking run in circles while the others pwn him) on the first try? It's a pretty obvious means of easily defeating any solo melee opponent of normal speed. I presume that they excpect players to do that, and that's why he's the game's first miniboss.

If they gave him a root/snare attack, or a charge attack to let him close the distance on a kiting player, then it would be a hard fight.

^ Top  
  5. Joghurt Augur

Joghurt
    Hah, It took me about 5-6 tries before I realized that just smashing him and using different spells and talents isn't enough. I got creative and the I killed him without any difficulties. Just weaken him with with melee guys until they get themselves killed. Then use the mage and the rouge with a bow. When that fucker charges at your mage you just have to move your rouge to the center of the room with a bow. Use the mage as a bait and start running around the edges of the room while your rouge shoots him with his bow. After a few laps the ogre realizes that he has to attack the rouge and goes for him. Then you just put the mage in the center of the room and run with your rouge around the room. After a few laps he charges for the mage again so you repeat it all over again. It was pretty funny running around the room but I took him down in the end. It's a shame I didn't count how many laps I did around the room :D

^ Top  
  6. Worm Liturgist

Worm
    Jesus guys, kiting is not creative. Kiting is not tactics.

^ Top  
  7. relootz Scholar

relootz
    I did that yes and it took a few tries before i took that approach. He also caught my running pc a few times. And running around is stupid as it doesnt constitude of any other tactic then abusing the dumbass AI.

^ Top  
  8. Jaime Lannister Arbiter

Jaime Lannister
    hard from the beginning to lothering is equal to easy mode the rest of the game

^ Top  
  9. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Are you playing console version? That ogre limped around sufficiently slowly only after one of these soldiers has hit him with a pinning shot. After that he tried to catch that soldier and Alistar tried to catch the ogre. They ran around in circles. One of these soldiers was already dead caught by ogre in first few minutes. And yes the ogre has charge attack.

(That sudden time advancement caught by surprise, which means no resupplying.)

Are you playing this on fast computer? Perhaps the AI doesn't have enough cycles to catch, or you are using save and reload (using save and reload and then complaining about difficulty is cheap).

I have already bloodied and hardened accomplishments.

^ Top  
  10. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    Well, I'm playing on hard and for once I'm prideful to say I have yet to use kiting as a strategy. I have pulled half groups instead of an entire roomful of enemies, but that doesn't seem especially evil. I'm sure the combat can be exploited, but there is strategic depth if you look for it. Fight enemies in narrow hallways to set up a meat shield so your casters can do the damage, etc., blah blah blah. There is depth there. It's not JA2, but it's still much better than I expected.

^ Top  
  11. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    I hope you can read this, Silellak, VD and the rest of you moronic gushers. Fuck you. Fuck you with a scary, veiny 30cm long black penis for tricking me into giving DA another go, tricking me into thinking it's anything other than shit, boring and banal. Okay, I have to admit that the king getting his ass kicked was a nice twist, and I do like where the story seems to be going, but why the hell didn't you cunts warn me about companions?

They are awful, probably the worst Bio's ever done. When the tits witch and Carth start clashing wits I get an urge to kill someone. How can anyone fail at humor this much? And there isn't anything you can do about the unlikable idiots because the game is balanced for a party of four.

Uninstalled, this time for good. Now I'll finally be doing something productive: working on the Sengoku Rance LP and finishing my Mentor playthrough of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

^ Top  
  12. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    So much fail...

I said that it's an enjoyable game and outlined the good and the bad sides. Apparently, anything that doesn't say "banal, shit, boring" is moronic gushing. Good to know.

Good one, Humps. So, even though you like the story and the plot, and even though the game has multiple quest solutions and choices & consequences, you've managed to summon enough hate into your heart to focus on the fact that the first two party members failed to meet your high standards, which means that the game is utter shit that must be uninstalled immediately.

If you say so.

The game is balanced for a party of four? What happened to "the game is too easy"?

^ Top  
  13. Emotional Vampire Arbiter

Emotional Vampire
    pyrrhic victory

^ Top  
  14. You are correct. I got an achievement for sodomizing the elf.

^ Top  
  15. Gay-Lussac Arcane

Gay-Lussac
    It feels like every single fight is one of those tough encounters you had in BG 2 (seriously I think my F9 key might jam sometime soon). Loving this game right now, specially the combat, forces you to stay aware at all times and to think criatively sometimes. Playing a xenophobic dalish reaver, kicking ass and taking names with morrigan, herpaderp dog (gonna switch for the gay elf later), and the foreigner dude (wish I could bring Shale instead of him but it seems the pirated DLC is only working for items right now)

^ Top  
  16. Gay-Lussac Arcane

Gay-Lussac
    CRISIS AVERTED

^ Top  
  17. Worm Liturgist

Worm
    not even a reach around?

^ Top  
  18. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    gayze i killed the ogre on my first try on hard with mah dual weilding mofo that is p. great!!!!!!

that is p. great!!!!!!

^ Top  
  19. I'm back in Orzammar with my dwarf noble. Of course, almost everyone hates me for killing my brother, being exiled, and causing a big shitstorm when I left. Just bumped into the dwarf whore I fucked during the origin, and she's cursing me because she had my son which means she and her son are casteless since I was taken out of the records when I was exiled.

CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES!

^ Top  
  20. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "Just bumped into the dwarf whore I fucked during the origin, and she's cursing me because she had my son which means she and her son are casteless since I was taken out of the records when I was exiled."

HAHAHA! I turned them bitches down. Damn sluts, and theyw erne't even coy about it.

"I WNAT TO FUCK YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE PRINCE!"

I wonder what her reaction to me will be when I go back. HAHA!

^ Top  
  21. Might not even see her. I actually went for the threesome the first time I played before I fucked my save, only went for one the second time. I kinda wanna know the results of choosing the other one or going for the threesome.

Also bumped into the scribe's apprentice, and since I was nice to him he's recording the events of my exile in a more favorable light. I'm not sure if that's just flavor C&C or if it will come into play once I start doing dwarf politics.

Wonder if the other origins get as much C&C as this.

^ Top  
  22. Demnogonis Saastuttaja Magister

Demnogonis Saastuttaja
    Is there any way to make your party move faster? I tire of looking at the slow-ass jogging. I get it, this is an RPG and supposed to be realistic and make you immerse yourself in the slow, tired movement, now can I get some boots of quadruple speed?

^ Top  
  23. Satori (original) Arbiter

Satori (original)
    Not that that I know of.

Got meself some good laughs from the "female" prostitue scene in Denerim, best sex scene so far.

^ Top  
  24. Worm Liturgist

Worm
    I gotta just say, the fucking Spider Queen fight in the dwarf places blows.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.