Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Stalin

Scholar
1eyedking said:
Stalin said:
Gfx ok once i turned the buffert effects off bit dark then tho.
Reverb effects in games are always needless in my opinion. How do you turn this off in DA:O?
oh its a little box on right hand side bottom under graphic options the difference is quite dramatic

Korgan

Arbiter
Playing as a mage, I used too much drugs IRL and my soul is probably in danger now. WHY BLOOD RITUAL OH WHY?!
FUCK!
DEMONS ARE COMING AFTER ME.
Edit: I mean, I chose to let the succubus get her way in exchange for blood magic, but will it manifest itself in ME instead of the NPC boy now? I made the wrnog choice. Oh wow. Well, at least i'm gonna get laid... for the first and last time. FuCk!

Stalin

Scholar
found the mage bit of an easy mode since you can mezz a boss for 40 secs (2 if you got morrigan or 3 with the old hag) while you take out the trash mobs

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Lavoisier said:
And I like the tactics system because every character has a gazzilion skills and I would either have to pause the game literally every 3 seconds or not use the skills (which would result in death).

It costs exp (well, talent slots or whatever they are, the other characters seem to get them with levels) to use the AI, just think about that. Maybe DA2 will have you unlock quicksaving with a talent, or higher resolutions. Or maybe it will be even more like FF12 and play itself, letting you conveniently skip all that worthless bullshit dialogue and plot.

Never had to buy a single tactics skill most of my characters function well enough so that I don't have to pause every 3 seconds to make the most of them which is absolutely necessary if you don't want to get buttraped in this game and there is even a slot or two free for some chars (the mage obviously needs more micromanagement to function well). Makes the combat flow better. How exactly is this much different from the scripts we had in BG (except they're a lot better and offer a lot more options) I have no idea.

So make up your mind are you gonna bitch that the game's AI is playing for you (which is absolute bullshit because you won't even get past the first boss if you don't issue any orders) or that the game is supposedly asking for you to sacrifice skill points to issue a couple more scripts? Make up your mind do you want to use this shit or not, cause right now it seems like you're just bawing.

The F3 combat was shit, but at least you control only one character, which is the maximum you should in realtime.

Totally that's like the first commandment in video game design handed down directly by Allah.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Well I just got to Redcliff courtyard and the game is much harder at this point.

One things that is becoming annoying is the 'we got you from the back!' encounter design where enemies pop where you least expect them when you are already engaged, its just used too often. I also wish more diverse design than simply lots of enemies thrown at me at some point.

Again information on abilities is lacking, I just picked a freeze spell for Morrigan that adds +1 dmg. to weapon attacks. Information for what is going on in combat is provided but too difficult to keep track of so at times it is hard to asses the threats.

Also anybody try the pre-battle boosters that provide resistances? Since I have no idea what some of them are (like spirit, nature) and it is difficult to digest combat information I simply have no idea how to make them work.

As for my party on the next level my rogue is going to get a great ability that will cause him to do back stabs against stunned enemies. Since lots of party members have stunning abilities this should provide a sizable dmg. boost. That is of course if by backstab they don't just mean attacks from behind as I already always attempt to do those making the ability useless. In fact I have no idea what backstab is or what it actually does.

Morrigan so far does not seem to be impressive, her AOE stun is great but it is difficult to judge the effects of her other abilities. What I need now is another melee fighter, preferably with aggro abilities. Dog does not have them, but he will have to do. If I had him my strategy would have been to send him in first, when health is low, taunt with Stan, and when his health is low use his ability that decreases aggro so that Alistar can soak up some dmg. If there are still enemies I could than do the AOE stun, retreat some fighetrs and have my rogue soak up some dmg. So far the only thing I am going to try to do is the AOE stun to have the enemy focus on my rogue, as often my two front line fighters run low on health and my rogue has no aggressive aggo abilities to have enemies target him.

Also the lack of a healer really sucks, right after this I am going to the circle toer to get Wynne.

Multi-headed Cow

You could also just give the first level heal spell to Morrigan, and then set it up in her tactics. That covers healing for normal fights quite easily, generally only have to use potions in boss fights now.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Yeah, I was not sure if it was wise to spread my specialization talents broadly like that, especially when I planned for Wynne to be my main healer but I think not doing so was a mistake, especially since she has about half way to go before she levels. Also I was not sure how effective the spell would be and thought of it as just a minor heal.

I am not loosing any fights on pre-patch normal but my stock of potions and kits has diminished. I also heard that you can position your characters so that archers have no effect on them, anybody know how to achieve this?

Project: Eternity
Potion making is fairly useful I've found, you find a lot of those elfroots and the flasks you need to make healing poultices are pretty cheap. I'm still using up quite a lot of them though now at level 12, while I avoided using them much before.

ChristofferC

Magister
Stalin said:
i only played through all the origin stories once each and up to the first village: then they had me going back to an area i already cleared (bandits and spiders) and magically there were wolves bears and a corpse there now so i uninstalled.
That only occurs once in the whole game.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Holy shit, this thread has grown.

At a rate higher than the "Kaisering is a tranny" thread, I think. Just goes to show that we really DO have good discussion about rpgs when there is something to talk about.

But will it top the Witcher thread?

Last edited:

Multi-headed Cow

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay my hardcover collector's edition DA strategy guide arrived today. Mmmmmmmmmm smell that paper.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Multi-headed Cow said:
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay my hardcover collector's edition DA strategy guide arrived today. Mmmmmmmmmm smell that paper.

I got one of those too. I liked the 70 or so pages on DA world lore at the end of the book. The rest of it, meh.....

To those of you that have completed it or are near completion are you replaying it or intending to? Do you find the game is enjoyable enough to warrant it and do you feel that after a second replay after presumably taking different choices than the first time around, will it yet again be worth another run?

Dicksmoker said:
At a rate higher than the "Kaisering is a tranny" thread, I think. Just goes to show that we really DO have good discussion about rpgs when there is something to talk about. Niggers
I take it you haven't really read the topic in its entirety, in this case it's quantity trumps quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom