Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Dnny

Educated
Overweight Manatee said:
Vault Dweller said:
Volourn said:
Anyways, i don't know why people repeatedly bash sword and sheild style. It's awesome. My chyaracter who has S&S is a friggin' tank. Mnay melee based enemies only do 1 or 2 points of damage to me while 2 hander friends (currently Oghren the Pervy Dwarf) take way more damage and simple won't last long if they're the taget hence I have to usde taunt to keep on the enemies on me since he tends to do a little more damage (I do 50ish, he does 70ish) on a typical attack.
That's what I like about the character system. The different combat styles are very distinctive and require some figuring out how to play them right.

You mean "Trial and Error". Because the way the game is set up, you have no idea how powerful each ability is, only general notions of what it does. If it weren't for the respec mod you would have to play the entire game again to figure out what each set of abilities is worth. DA has a ridiculously horrible set of ability descriptions.

I haven't played warrior (have a rogue about 1/4th through and a mage who breezed through not doing many side quests), but from what I have seen the abilities are not balanced at all. Especially for mages, there are a certain set of spells that rape hard, some that are ok, many that are mediocre.

DA is not worse than most other RPG that are not based on D&D you prick. I can't remember a single computer game that was both much better documented than DA and not based on D&D. And it's easy to be "well documented" when you are based on an old, proven ruleset whose target audience is pen&paper.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, Dnny, but those other non D&D games were easy and required no thinking to win. R00fles!

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Krash said:
Haven't some codexers praised older RPGs for being just as (probably quite a lot more) unforgiving?

Except that most of them have detailed descriptions of pretty much everything either in game or in the manuals.

Krash

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Krash said:
Haven't some codexers praised older RPGs for being just as (probably quite a lot more) unforgiving?

Except that most of them have detailed descriptions of pretty much everything either in game or in the manuals.

Can't say that I agree completely (about detailed descriptions), but whatever, it's not worth making 50 more pages out of this.

Carry on good sir

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
At times DA has thoughtful combat. I fought the first battle in the Sloth Demon's world and got my ass handed to me twice in a way that made me think it just wasn't possible. On the third try I used an educated combo of skills and won easily.

Dnny said:
DA is not worse than most other RPG that are not based on D&D you prick. I can't remember a single computer game that was both much better documented than DA and not based on D&D. And it's easy to be "well documented" when you are based on an old, proven ruleset whose target audience is pen&paper.

So DA is good because its no worse then the 90% of other games with shitty documentation? :decline:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. That's now why DA is good. DA is good because it has C&C, interetsing characters, a decent story, great combat, ana wesome character system, great use of origins, and so on. That is why it is good.

Dumbass.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
FFS People want to have their hand held so no mistake will ever be made. FFS

Ah, so having numbers means hand-holding now.
It's certainly not the stupid new concept that numbers should be hidden from the player in RPGs. No sir!

Monocause said:
What difficulty level have you chosen, 1eyed? I'm pretty sure that on hard crushing prison wouldn't always work. Sometimes it just dealt spirit damage without the hold effect. It worked like that always on 'big' enemies too (like ogres, dragons etc) and sometimes would fail on smaller ones, even the whites. I also remember that one of my party members also received spirit damage from it without being held. I'd guess that it has something to do with magical resistance stat.

I'd like you to post your source on no-save crushing prison to substantiate your claims. I'll also check it out myself in-game tomorrow.

I can confirm this post. I use crushing prison in nearly every single fight, playing on hard. Against boss monsters, and those sufficiently high level compared to you, it inflicts the spirit damage without the paralysation effect.

I've also seen it resisted altogether (i.e. word 'resist' appears over the enemy's head)

Force field is FAR more reliable. It is insta cast and traps anyone, regardless of boss-status. I think enemies that outlevel you aren't trapped as long, but the spell lasts so fricken long anyway that you can almost always mop up the support mobs by the time it wears off. Having said that, enemies can resist that as well, and when they do it's ofen buttrape time, as it forms the centrepiece of my strategy on hard (cc the high-ranking 'coloured name' enemy, AoE-paralysis/debuff the remaining enemies and mop them up, pwn the sole boss enemy once force field wears off).

On the other hand, the 'spell combo' of force field and crushing shield (shockwave) is nigh useless. CC'g the most threatening the enemy for the entire fight is almost always more useful than scattering the enemy through a very short stun and only moderate AoE damange that hits your guys as well.

Force field is so overpowered that I can't help but think that it was only intended to be used on a player character to tank (regardless the mention of FF). After all, it says "protects a character BUT they can't move", which seems to imply that cant move is the downside when you put it on yourself. BTW, great DA ambiguity there. Apparently "Cannot move" means "paralyzed and can't attack nor move". But then spells that "slow movement" actually only slow movement speed but not attack speed.

Silellak

Cipher
Overweight Manatee said:
Force field is so overpowered that I can't help but think that it was only intended to be used on a player character to tank (regardless the mention of FF). After all, it says "protects a character BUT they can't move", which seems to imply that cant move is the downside when you put it on yourself. BTW, great DA ambiguity there. Apparently "Cannot move" means "paralyzed and can't attack nor move". But then spells that "slow movement" actually only slow movement speed but not attack speed.
I don't think so. Read the full description and also note the end:

The caster erects a telekinetic barrier around a target, who becomes completely immune to damage for the duration of the spell but cannot move. Friendly fire possible.

"Friendly fire possible" = you can use it on yourself OR the enemy.

Also, it's really not that overpowered. I'm about to enter the Deep Roads at level 17 on Hard, with my main PC as a mage, and while it's certainly a useful CC spell, bosses often resist it, and even when it hits them, it only locks them down for a short period of time.

Have you been maximizing your spell power? Because I have only seen it resisted once, and that was against a boss that was obviously far, far beyond my level at the time (the revenent I fought at level 7 :lol: ) . You may also note that I saw the mention of Friendly fire being possible. The skill just seems unreasonably overpowered, especially comparing it to crushing prison (and considering you can use them both to lock down 2 people). Of course, lower level spells significantly outclassing the higher level ones happens in other cases, but not nearly as much. 2 spell points to disable anything? Yes please.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Most of the 1st-3rd tier spells are better than the 4th tier spells. This sucks. Otherwise I like the hexes/glyphs/fire up to fireball/cold up to cone of cold/Mind blast and Force Field with telekenetic blades good for melee. Haste is good too for mixed parties with melee driven combat. The mage magic stat is wonderful since it feeds how much a given potion fills health/mana bar as well as magic potential damage and/or saves. Also like taking up to mass paralyze on the one branch. Chaining cone of cold/fireball/glyph of warding and repulsion not much survives while for the most part my mages stay very safe.

The mage and specialization skills seem to all have very good 4th level spells. Blizzard is pretty damn good for archers considering you should already have Cone of Cold ASAP. Stinging swarm is excellent, and the spells leading up to is are spell wisp (awesome), grease (situationally decent) and spellbloom (pretty good). Mana Clash is the I-Win button for mage fights and spell might before it is good.

IMO, the way that maintained spells work makes certain builds horribly overpowered. Spend all your magic in 5 seconds as an arcane warrior, cast every buff you have in the next 5 seconds (costing no mana), then half the enemies are dead and the rest are swarming after you who now has more armor then your frontline warriors and is buffing everyones melee damage tremendously.

Silellak

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
We can safely reduce the list to Bloodlines, KOTOR games, Witcher, and MotB.

My Bloodlines impressions
My KOTOR2 impressions
It's really depressing to read some of these older Codex threads. While people disagreed and even insulted each other, there was still obviously a different overall mindset at work - you didn't have people showing up in every thread vaguely related to the game, who had never played the game, and shitting all over it because it made them feel better about themselves.

Now I suppose I finally understand what the :decline: is all about.

1eyedking

Erudite
Monocause said:
What difficulty level have you chosen, 1eyed? I'm pretty sure that on hard crushing prison wouldn't always work. Sometimes it just dealt spirit damage without the hold effect. It worked like that always on 'big' enemies too (like ogres, dragons etc) and sometimes would fail on smaller ones, even the whites. I also remember that one of my party members also received spirit damage from it without being held. I'd guess that it has something to do with magical resistance stat.
I'm playing on Hard.

Monocause said:
I'd like you to post your source on no-save crushing prison to substantiate your claims. I'll also check it out myself in-game tomorrow.
Spell description, and the fact that only a select few bosses have shrugged it off (without 'Resisted' popping up).

Monocause said:
I'd also be glad if you either gave counterarguments about other things or admitted that you're wrong.
Hmm. Let me get some about combat:

I tested out a Rogue wearing nothing but Massive armor. At higher levels you must consume about 20 mana mushrooms quickly pausing and unpausing the game to recover all of your stamina. Although said mushrooms are very cheap and numerous, it's not a viable strategy as I thought. Still, I curiously found out you can competently waltz around in Medium to Massive armor and pull lots of special moves for about 1/3 of the fatigue penalty if you refrain from wearing Massive Body armor. Furthermore, the only killer Talent you need to consistently deal incredible amounts of damage is Momentum which requires only an upkeep. I had a Rogue using the Blood Armor (best Armor in the game, DLC - you start with it and the other pieces are available at camp) at about level 10 backstabbing with Starfang (best Sword in the game - acquired after completing DLC Warden's Keep) and Silveredge (good Dagger - DLC) while Momentum was activated and he was nigh unstoppable. I didn't even need to pull off Whirlwinds nor Punishers. Funny you require to get the DLC for both. I wonder why is that... :roll:

I stand firm by what I said about the mage build. There's no good reason not to grab all of the instagibbing level 1 and 2 spells. Fling spells around like a maniac and quaff Lyrium potions like you were playing Diablo. It's pretty mindless and extremely effective. As for them wearing armor, just pop 8-10 points into Strength and wear the Light to Medium ones. You can get good armor bonus that way without getting that much of a fatigue penalty. Since you don't need potions to restore mana off-combat, trust me, you'll end up with tons of them during encounters; which pretty much covers which of the crafting skills is the obvious best (as if it wasn't from the beginning).

Cunning contributes to armor penetration, but damage is still minimal if you go with daggers (which is what you would use in a Dex+Cun build). With Strength you get the benefit of wearing uber armor and longswords. It's a no-brainer.

And now for a very interesting story:
Force Field and Crushing Prison are overpowered. In fact, I had one instance against Majorlaine when the latter was used against my character (I had a 100 mental resistance mage fail the "check") and another random companion by two instaspawning mages effectively reducing my party to half, leaving the other two fending off a couple of instaspawned 800 HP fighters and Majorlaine's instastun song. The game just boiled down to exploiting the extremely dumb AI: as the battle started I immediately went to the smaller room in the back, the fighters blindly rushed in one by one as I herded them while the rest stayed back, killed them, lured Majorlaine in using the same cheap basic exploit, killed her, and then went for the other two mages (who once again paralyzed my 100 mental resistance mage and Morrigan).

In between the minifights I waited to regenerate my health and mana to full. I was very, very tempted to uninstall the game for rewarding such dumbfuckery.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Glyph of Neutralization I find works well compared to mana clash. Two uses for one spell. Either target enemy to drain all mana and dispel all effects. The other use is against your own. Someone paralyzed? Imprisoned? Curse of mortality? (shudders) cast it on that character for dispell. It does drain all mana yet a couple of potions one minor and normal mana potion or a couple of rejuvinate/full reguvinate spells and they are back in the fight if a mage. The healing line is very nice with heal/rejuvinate/regenerate/mass rejuvinate.

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:
And now for a very interesting story:
Force Field and Crushing Prison are overpowered. In fact, I had one instance against Majorlaine when the latter was used against my character (I had a 100 mental resistance mage fail the "check") and another random companion by two instaspawning mages effectively reducing my party to half, leaving the other two fending off a couple of instaspawned 800 HP fighters and Majorlaine's instastun song. The game just boiled down to exploiting the extremely dumb AI: as the battle started I immediately went to the smaller room in the back, the fighters blindly rushed in one by one as I herded them while the rest stayed back, killed them, lured Majorlaine in using the same cheap basic exploit, killed her, and then went for the other two mages (who once again paralyzed my 100 mental resistance mage and Morrigan).

In between the minifights I waited to regenerate my health and mana to full. I was very, very tempted to uninstall the game for rewarding such dumbfuckery.

"Extremely dumb AI" compared to what, exactly? I can think of very few RPGs that don't have AI you can exploit in some manner or another.

DreadMessiah said:
Glyph of Neutralization I find works well compared to mana clash. Two uses for one spell. Either target enemy to drain all mana and dispel all effects. The other use is against your own. Someone paralyzed? Imprisoned? Curse of mortality? (shudders) cast it on that character for dispell. It does drain all mana yet a couple of potions one minor and normal mana potion or a couple of rejuvinate/full reguvinate spells and they are back in the fight if a mage. The healing line is very nice with heal/rejuvinate/regenerate/mass rejuvinate.
Yup, I love my Glyph of Neutralization - I refer to it basically as a magical EMP.

Enemies seem to have infinite mana as far as I can tell. As soon as the glyph is over or they step out of it, they are happily spamming spells again. Besides, instakilling them is glorious. Glyph has better lead up spells, but not by much.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"In between the minifights I waited to regenerate my health and mana to full. I was very, very tempted to uninstall the game for rewarding such dumbfuckery."

Hope you were tempted to uninstall BG2, FO2, ARC, and every RPG ever created as they are full of these 'exploits'.

Shame on YOU.

Silellak

Cipher
Overweight Manatee said:
Enemies seem to have infinite mana as far as I can tell. As soon as the glyph is over or they step out of it, they are happily spamming spells again. Besides, instakilling them is glorious. Glyph has better lead up spells, but not by much.
I don't think they do, actually. When they walk over my Glyph, they either start using Blood Magic (which does let them cast spells again, but with Health instead of Mana) or just start firing off blasts from their staff. Sometimes they do seem to resist the Glyph, or are just flat-out immune to it, but it works more often than it doesn't.

I love the Glyph line in general - CC is so important in this game, every little bit helps. And it's always a delight to shut-off the exit to a room with a Glyph of Repulsion and then drop my Blizzard down on those who are now trapped in the room. If Morrigan is with me, she can follow it up with Tempest and it's just ridiculous.

I gave my main the first spell in Arcane Warrior just so he could equip the Dragonscale Plate (with the Set Bonus he only gets a 20% fatigue hit instead of the near-40%), and it's improved his survability (especially vs. archers) subtantially. Makes me want to try a full Arcane Warrior-based build sometime.

1eyedking

Erudite
Silellak said:
"Extremely dumb AI" compared to what, exactly? I can think of very few RPGs that don't have AI you can exploit in some manner or another.
So now you're defending a game that doesn't send all enemies at once after you go back a room? Ridiculous.

Short of casting Dispel Magic, there was nothing I could do since there are no spell scrolls whatsoever. Saving throws are really fucked up in DA, as are real-time stun mini-interrupts.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Glyph of Repulsion is fun for dealing with enemies charging your mages. Fireballs deal with archers very well when chained so that cool down is not a factor and up close cone of cold owns everything. Even immune enemies still can freeze :D Use glyph of repulsion then run away and cast a glyph of paralyze over it then fireball paralyzed enemies. The werewolves even on nightmare have a hard time getting through glyph of repulsion. Just back into a corner and cast the spell just infront so they can not sneak around the outside of it. That is how I survived that fight with ease on nightmare difficulty. I took riposte/crit shot for rogue so shattering enemies could commence with cone of cold frozen enemies.

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Silellak said:
So now you're defending a game that doesn't send all enemies at once after you go back a room? Ridiculous.

Short of casting Dispel Magic, there was nothing I could do since there are no spell scrolls whatsoever. Saving throws are really fucked up in DA, as are real-time stun mini-interrupts.
I'm not "defending" it beyond making the claim that pretty much every non-turn-based RPG has exploitable AI. Is it stupid the AI doesn't gang-rush you when you're in that room? Sure, no question. Do I consider that a game-ruining-omg-uninstall-time experience? Not even close.

1eyedking

Erudite
Volourn said:
Hope you were tempted to uninstall BG2, FO2, ARC, and every RPG ever created as they are full of these 'exploits'.

Shame on YOU.
Volourn, you absurd
volly.gif
. FO2 enemies for starters didn't resort to 500 HP enemies crap, didn't have INSTAWTFPWN abilities, nor did you, you couldn't instantly heal yourself unless you spent 4 APs to access your inventory, your companions couldn't use this exploit (which is more of an afterthought) - and guess what: once dead, they stayed dead and you couldn't revive them. Hardcore, I know. For all of its simplicity, FO had good, fun combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom