Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

curry

Arcane
heavy-handedness
Who cares? It's more gameplay. Nobody played through the Witcher 2 branches or DA:O's origins and went "FUCK YOU CD PROJEKT/BIOWARE FOR CREATING THIS, I AM TOTALLY NOT HAVING FUN HERE, THIS SUCKS"

Oh wow didn't realize you're such a Biodrone white knight :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who cares? It's more gameplay. Nobody played through the Witcher 2 branches or DA:O's origins and went "FUCK YOU CD PROJEKT/BIOWARE FOR CREATING THIS, I AM TOTALLY NOT HAVING FUN HERE, THIS SUCKS"

Deep Roads.

Repeating the same stuff again and again isn't more gameplay. New areas with more story, more dialogue and more quests is.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Deep Roads.

Repeating the same stuff again and again isn't more gameplay. New areas with more story, more dialogue and more quests is.

There's a middle.

I prefer smaller choices to bigger, but binary ones like the mentioned W2 plot branch. Little choices working together in a complex way to create new situations is a lot more interesting to me than something big but inherently simple.

As a player I also try to understand the development process and adjust my expectations to it. As such there are things I'd rather see the developer spend time on than others. If that is wrong than so be it.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Origins make me try the PCs which Commissar would never ever touch like Elves and Mage Origins so it was best part of game; shame that consequence and a reactivity to those origins were reduced to the few lines of dialogue later on; Yes I know streaming and greater accessibility and all this liberal BS which crept into RPGs.

LivingOne

Savant
Can we have an arse system in the game? Other RPGs have done it.

x-aizen-x wrote...
Skyrim had mention this before the games release but really didn't implement like I thought it would. I think an arse system makes RPGs more smooth and fluid. DAI does already looks smooth enough but its still kind of dark soulish in gameplay. The animation when hacking through enemies was more or less a cring in DA2. But I think DAI fixed that. Anyway though I think an arse system would best fix this problem. What are your thoughts.

wat

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
One glance into BSN and I feel like Lenny after experiencing a "black-jack".

e1fxfuh.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Origins make me try the PCs which Commissar would never ever touch like Elves and Mage Origins so it was best part of game; shame that consequence and a reactivity to those origins were reduced to the few lines of dialogue later on; Yes I know streaming and greater accessibility and all this liberal BS which crept into RPGs.

The game did not reflect your origin well enough, I agree. However from a roleplaying perspective it was still pretty sweet to take my mad-at-the-world elf bitch whose wedding day was ruined and storm across the land spreading bitchiness and anti-human sentiment.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

The game did not reflect your origin well enough, I agree. However from a roleplaying perspective it was still pretty sweet to take my mad-at-the-world elf bitch whose wedding day was ruined and storm across the land spreading bitchiness and anti-human sentiment.

I tried LARPing an aunt jemima city she-elf that was pro-human, 'manced Alistair and was going to wipe out the dalish.

Caim

Arcane

x-aizen-x wrote...
Skyrim had mention this before the games release but really didn't implement like I thought it would. I think an arse system makes RPGs more smooth and fluid. DAI does already looks smooth enough but its still kind of dark soulish in gameplay. The animation when hacking through enemies was more or less a cring in DA2. But I think DAI fixed that. Anyway though I think an arse system would best fix this problem. What are your thoughts.
wat
I checked that thread, and I sort of checked out at this:

tumblr_m9zcwqICu21rshl5oo2_1280.jpg

Data4

Arcane

x-aizen-x wrote...
wat
I checked that thread, and I sort of checked out at this:

tumblr_m9zcwqICu21rshl5oo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnblsb9IQD1s1vt4mo1_500.gif

set

Cipher
You guys are conflating narrative and gameplay.

Gameplay can have big and numerous branches if you do a lot of simulating and calculating with the right algorithms. ie dungeon creation by algorithm can always be influenced by player choices to offer totally unique consequences to your actions to oders of magnitude that exceed the number of particles in the universe. It's what computers are good at doing.

But a narrative is impossible to "simulate" or "algorithmate"; it's hard-coded hand-built and human-made. In the case of narrative, you have to choose big branches or many small branches, it's too expensive to do both.

The problem is when developres also feel they need to choreograph the gameplay to the narrative, that narrative starts to creep on the complexity of gameplay.

Kidd

Educated
by choose race did you mean it's a purely cosmetic thing that has nothing to do with the story or are there origins like in the original game (one of the best things about it as well as the world reacting to your race on certain occasions). And by being able to change the "appearance" of your companions do they mean you can equip them with anything or is this just some sort of set equipment changes because you know, each Bioware NPC has their own "personality" and "uniqueness" and allowing the player to interfere with that ruins that character's "brand". Oh and apparently it costs too much to make armour scale to different model sizes.
Let the BSN-dweller educate you!

Your character's backstory changes depending on your race/class combination (for instance, elf+mage could make you First to the Keeper in a dalish clan, while a rogue or warrior would not be), and I don't think you have any real choice at that point - your combination nets you a backstory. The idea is to add more reactivity to both your race and class in the actual game instead. There's been talk of the elves being discriminated against pretty heavily, with Qunari inquisitors being barred from accessing an area completely. What's more, NPCs apparently have eyes now and can recognise you're a mage.

So basically instead of front-ending the whole racial choice and consequence so heavily, it'll be spread out over the game. Whether this proves superior a design or how much resources they're actually spending in this is of course not apparent until the game comes out.

As for equipment, I think the idea is that your inquisitor and the companions share the armour pieces. However, the armours will change looks when equipped on companions to preserve their iconic look to a degree. For instance, the warrior Cassandra has decorative hearts on her armour and Vivienne the mage will always rock a wycked hat.

Click for GIF of Cassandra donning different armour sets.
cassandra.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In DA, defense and armor are two separate values as it should be. ^_^

Kidd

Educated
In DA, defense and armor are two separate values as it should be. ^_^
It doesn't work like in the DA P&P game though. I would love if the games just converted into the P&P mechanics, cause they're pretty downright awesome. Not revolutionary, but awesome.

I believe that would be *clears throat* a massive incline.

... am I using Codex speak correctly now? =)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes.

I'm unfamiliar with the P&P so I dunno how well it'd translate. I'm sure some changes would have to made, considering the different media (also I've been unsatisfied with every tabletop RPG I've played/read about, but the same applies to crpgs so).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom