Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think the arguments against level scaling are that it breaks verisimilitude, and breaks a feeling of progression. Obviously it could be used to keep enemies difficult.
Origins and 2 both had reverse difficulty curves for the most part with a few minor exceptions, like most RPGs.

I argued that why not have homosexual haters and an institutionalized prosecution/hating against them, cause IRL there are many many many more people wholl go around ebating and killing gays.
Well DA does have its gay shamers.
7SXGwVp.jpg

So this will go full action combat?
No. That roll move the warrior has is a talent with a cooldown and stamina cost.

I mean, wtf are they smoking? Who in the right mind looked at this design and said: "Oh, that's cool, that's so edgy!" and approved it?
I think they were inspired by
tumblr_mnf65v1hsH1r8g02do1_500.jpg

I won't even go and argue that for the company who praises themselves to be INCLOOSIVE and FIGHTERS AGAINST EVIL CIS-WORLD, champions of feminism and crusaders against sexism their females sure are clothed to show all the goods.
Cleavage-outfits aren't necessarily sexist. Look at Cassandra, who's fully covered in armor.

Read a preview in my local gaming rag. Game is fully linear. Whatever slight flicker of interest I had was immediately gone.
The mini-open world hubs kinda make it not-linear.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Read a preview in my local gaming rag. Game is fully linear. Whatever slight flicker of interest I had was immediately gone.

What do you mean, "fully linear"? Not even collect the four artifacts non-linearity?

Nope. Fully linear albeit with a 'much deeper story.' No mention of C&C either. Apparantly you'll visit different locations in a set order. As I said, interest went quickly after that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's linear like Grand Theft Auto is linear. Large areas to play around in but each new one is unlocked by progressing through the story. Prevents being overwhelmed by content, and people dying over and over again to extremely higher non-level scaled content and complaining about it.

I mean, wtf are they smoking? Who in the right mind looked at this design and said: "Oh, that's cool, that's so edgy!" and approved it?
I think they were inspired by
tumblr_mnf65v1hsH1r8g02do1_500.jpg
Sheala's headdress was probably based on historical ones, from 15th century. E.g.:

sGRHcnhl.jpg

03E2Hgd.png

It looked kinda ridiculous too, but mainly because amount of cleavage which she showed, which was inconsistent with quasi-medieval costumes. But in DA Bioware didn't replicate medieval costumes almost at all, they've gone to generic fantasy first, and added Nomura's "Belts, BELTS everywhere! And FEATHERS!" in second game. So such headdress, without justification of medieval aesthetic, looks doubly idiotic.

I won't even go and argue that for the company who praises themselves to be INCLOOSIVE and FIGHTERS AGAINST EVIL CIS-WORLD, champions of feminism and crusaders against sexism their females sure are clothed to show all the goods.
Cleavage-outfits aren't necessarily sexist. Look at Cassandra, who's fully covered in armor.
Lol wut? One clothed female somehow negates T&A, which every other female character shows? Why? Are all others showing their assets to fight oppression, so the forces of patriarchy would fap to them and thus be defeated be empowering female sexuality? :lol:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Hmmm. Let's see:
- Human only protagonist - stated on BSN dead-set that there will be only human protagonist- overruled.
- Tactical view - dead set on BSN that combat will be "like DA2 but enchanced" - overruled
- Dialogue wheel - "we will not add additional information to dialogue wheel" - overruled.
It seems they had a visit from EA who whipped them into doing things they already stated will not be in the game. It would be understandable if they say "maybe", but they stated clearlly "there will be no such feature".
But I have faith in bioware - they will find a way to fuck DA:I up, even with all this aanouncd features.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Nope. Fully linear albeit with a 'much deeper story.' No mention of C&C either. Apparantly you'll visit different locations in a set order. As I said, interest went quickly after that.
Wait, how could they do previews a year before game release? Or you are talking about this chunk of demo?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lol wut? One clothed female somehow negates T&A, which every other female character shows? Why? Are all others showing their assets to fight oppression, so the forces of patriarchy would fap to them and thus be defeated be empowering female sexuality? :lol:
Because it's not every other. In DAII, Isabela has a cleavage-revealing outfit, but Aveline, Merrill, Bethany, Leandra, Elthina, Petrice, and Meredith do not.

I am disturbed over how this is now the second darker-skinned woman they've sexualized. The beginnings of a disgusting racist pattern. There better be other dark skinned female characters who aren't dressed as such.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Because it's not every other. In DAII, Isabela has a cleavage-revealing outfit, but Aveline, Merrill, Bethany, Leandra, Elthina, Petrice, and Meredith do not.

I am disturbed over how this is now the second darker-skinned woman they've sexualized. The beginnings of a disgusting racist pattern. There better be other dark skinned female characters who aren't dressed as such.
BioWare tend to have minority characters in minor roles, but I'm pretty sure that's also because most of their characters are created by hitting the "random" button on their face morph editor a few times. I'm more disturbed by the fact that their idea of a black person is a white person whose face has been turned a disturbing brown-orange color, and how all the voice actors are still obviously just white dudes.

aris

Arcane
  1. Disgusting racist pattern? Reading a bit too much into things?
  2. And how the fuck is it racist in the first place?

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Tactical view? :incline:
Game just moved from "pirated" to will buy depending on (codex/gamebansee) reviews.
Not that they will have good gameplay, but my tolerance for bad gameplay is high for isometric games. I finished Witcher 1 only because of the pseudo isometric camera, and DA:I seems to have a way better view than that.

What's the point of having a tactical view if you can just play it like a hack and slash game and still succeed?

Merril was sexulized as fuck, lack of decolletage doesn't mean shit in this instance. Target audience were animufags, with this "innocent but slightly psychotic little sister" vibe.
vREcfga.jpg

Bethany? Lol wut? Just look at this tits.

Leandra also showed some impressive cleavage for an old lady.

And even fucking Flemeth for some reason undergone a plastic surgery and started showing tits.
cGa2CM9l.jpg

I give you Aveline, token Brienne of Tarth knock-off. All others are in monastic order, so lack of revealing clothes is expected.
So. You were saying that Bioware's portraial of women isn't sexist, because most of them aren't dressed for male pleasure. Look at this screenshots and say that again, I dare you.
:roll:

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Wait, how could they do previews a year before game release? Or you are talking about this chunk of demo?

They had a full spread article with lots of screenshots, exposition, artwork and a dev interview.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
BioWare tend to have minority characters in minor roles, but I'm pretty sure that's also because most of their characters are created by hitting the "random" button on their face morph editor a few times. I'm more disturbed by the fact that their idea of a black person is a white person whose face has been turned a disturbing brown-orange color, and how all the voice actors are still obviously just white dudes.
The color issue is because the DA renderer is incapable of displaying dark skin tones for some reason. They've stated this isn't the case with Frostbite, so there should be a lot more black people in DAI, or so they've told their irritable tumblr audience who are going to be pissed off if they've been deceived. As for voices, ME had Keith David and Adam Lazarre-White and DA has a few black actors in minor roles. Without the renderer excuse they should do better.

Merril was sexulized as fuck, lack of decolletage doesn't mean shit in this instance. Target audience were animufags, with this "innocent but slightly psychotic little sister" vibe.
Are you really suggesting "Any design of a woman any man can be attacted to is sexist"?

Bethany? Lol wut? Just look at this tits.
That's from the exaggerated beginning. It's a joke.
DA2_Bethany_Companion_Armor_Comparison.jpg

Looks fine to me. Unless you want to suggest bare shoulders are sexist which is heading into puritanical territory.

Leandra also showed some impressive cleavage for an old lady.
She's wearing an undershirt to cover up.

And even fucking Flemeth for some reason undergone a plastic surgery and started showing tits.
She's a shapeshifter. An old woman in a cleavage outfit is off-putting, which seems to be her intent.

Are you really suggesting "Any design of a woman any man can be attacted to is sexist"?
I don't give a fuck about sexism, but if you really think that Merril wasn't redesigned with Talimancers in mind - then you're delusional.

That's from the exaggerated beginning. It's a joke.
DA2_Bethany_Companion_Armor_Comparison.jpg

Looks fine to me. Unless you want to suggest bare shoulders are sexist which is heading into puritanical territory.
*shrug* She was dead in my playthrough, so one point to you, I guess.

She's wearing an undershirt to cover up.
And?

She's a shapeshifter. An old woman in a cleavage outfit is off-putting, which seems to be her intent.
I doubt it. If they wanted to do off-puting, they would just left her earlier model.

Oh well, that was pointless. You probably agree with such people,
tumblr_mkwozoxOIF1r1hjuro1_500.jpg

which requires very alternate way of thinking, which I can't and won't replicate.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  1. Disgusting racist pattern? Reading a bit too much into things?
  2. And how the fuck is it racist in the first place?
http://tressiemc.com/2013/08/27/when-your-brown-body-is-a-white-wonderland/
Educate yourself.
  1. What on earth does that have to do with this?
Roguey was ranting about Bioware exclusively sexualising black women, you asked how is that racist, I provided an article.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom