Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
puke-in-my-mouth-o.gif

Absinthe

Arcane
I think the arguments against level scaling are that it breaks verisimilitude, and breaks a feeling of progression. Obviously it could be used to keep enemies difficult.
The argument against level scaling is usually that it's a retarded way to fix combat encounters. Not only does it fuck with verisimilitude (Yes! I am stronger. And fighting the same shit.) and deny a sense of progression ("hamster wheel design"), but it's the kind of "o just tweak the numbers higher" shit you pull to create a "challenging combat encounter" without ever giving a fuck about encounter design. It flies in the face of tactical combat, which needs to acknowledge that as your level goes up, your options tend to improve. When I played Dragon Age Origins I uninstalled the Nightmare Plus mod in the end because I was often killing shit more or less the same way, just twice as slowly now. (I miss its LoS fix though where you would pull mobs through walls. Those clusterfuck swarms made for some good moments.)

Combat needs to be enjoyable in its own right. And number scaling is not the answer.

Last edited:

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Bhazor said:
So this is what? The fifth “spiritual successor” to Planescape Torment?
We’ve got
Kotor 2 : same thematic depth , Chris Avellone as lead writer
Project Eternity: same style of gameplay, Chris Avellone as lead writer, seemingly the whole Black Isle crew involved
Mask of the Betrayer: same philosophical bent, same out there setting, some of the Black Isle massive involved, cowritten by Chris Avellone
Torment something something: same philosophical bent, same out there setting, additional dialog by Chris Avellone, lead designed by original Planescape campaign setting writer
Dragon Age Inquistion: Written by a fan of Planescape who thinks its characters “are like wow”
:lol:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's clear all Bioware games since PS:T have been influenced by it. Just look at how companion interaction works. Being influenced by something good doesn't mean you'll make something good.

this leaked pre alpha footage looks already 10 times better than any recently released bioware title(its not that big achevement after all...):M.
and fuck you codex and your edgy hypocrisy. how is no health regen, no level scaling and tactical camera/view for pc and consoles not an :incline:? i know for sure that bioware will fuck it up with moronic lgbt characters,dumb romances and cliche main quest but at least partially they are heading in to right direction.

Oh, lawdy, they announced that quinari will be a playable race..male and female.
bioware delivers again. best converted dev :troll:

http://kotaku.com/the-next-dragon-a...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

i know its fucking kotaku so brief summary :

-dialog wheel now shows you full text when highlighted
-qunari,elves,dwarves, humans as a playable races
-pause at any time and flip camera to tactical view in which you may stay for an entire fight (for pc and consoles)
-accesories will now have their own unique descriptions (which was missing in da 2:lol: )
-no health regen and no unlimited stacking of potions in your inventory
-no level scaling and customizable difficutlies ( for friendly fire )
-capturing keeps and maintaining your own stronghold/ there is ongoing war during da:i
- xbox360/ps3 versions will suck ass hard , worse graphics/less npc

leaked demo from pacx about 13minutes

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
lots of talk about "tactical top-down combat" but I've yet to see it.

I don't see how India being a shithole, when it comes to human rights, is relevant to a Canadian company making a computer game. Are you simply ranting or do you have a coherent point?

Roguey was arguing for the inclusion of fabulous homosexuals in DAI stating that IRL there are quite a few. I argued that why not have homosexual haters and an institutionalized prosecution/hating against them, cause IRL there are many many many more people wholl go around ebating and killing gays.

Roguey then replies DAI isn't medival Europe.

And DAI is the western First World to have flamboyant homosexuals and trannies eh? Roguey logic :lol:

Granted, i went about it in a roundabout way with lot of rambling. But eh.

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lots of talk about "tactical top-down combat" but I've yet to see it.
There's a lot of talk about everything that's not DA2, but the game will be the same anyway. I just wonder what game are they going to namesdrop and which retro features are they gonna hype when this fails.

I dunno, I am not really into blobbers (trying them out now), but Ubishit is moving in the right direction with M&MX. (TB and Grid-based :bounce::bounce::bounce:). Sure it will have fucking Uplay, buy one can always buy the game and use DRM-free piratebay version. :smug:

Meanwhile Bioware is just going overboard with thier faggotry inclusiveness, no matter how it fucks all with themes and atmosphere as Azreal described :obviously:

Also, something about the DA:Inclusiveness artstyle really makes me puke.

imweasel

M&MX is on steam too actually. Still DRM, but then you don't need uplay

I think you still need a Uplay a/c for a one time activation even with steam, better than the always online faggotry Square did with FF7 on steam. but if every publisher does thier exclusive mandatory service shit, won't be too long before clusterfuck.

Borelli

Arcane
So this will go full action combat? I'm of mixed feelings on that one. On one hand i find action combat to be better than shitty RTwP, on the other hand a series that started as a "spiritual successor to BG" should have more RPG-ish combat. Why don't they just put turn-based and be done with it?

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
I don't even see how a turn based system would work in a game like this, let alone sell to people who would buy it.

shit, the fact that it has tactical overview is surprise enough for me.

Also, BioWare has never once made a single turn based game...ever.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Selecting the "Shut up" option in Mass Effect, for example, may have led to an unexpected act of violence that didn't suit the character, or damaged something later on that you may not have expected. Now, when you highlight dialog, you'll see a text pop-up explaining what's likely to happen if you say or do something.
Ahahahahah, and at early stages they explicitly stated that they will not do that.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
this leaked pre alpha footage looks already 10 times better than any recently released bioware title(its not that big achevement after all...):M.
and fuck you codex and your edgy hypocrisy. how is no health regen, no level scaling and tactical camera/view for pc and consoles not an :incline:? i know for sure that bioware will fuck it up with moronic lgbt characters,dumb romances and cliche main quest but at least partially they are heading in to right direction.

Oh, lawdy, they announced that quinari will be a playable race..male and female.
bioware delivers again. best converted dev :troll:
Maybe because graphics, level scaling, tac.camers and health regen is the least important features of cRPG? It's good, but there are things immensely more important.

The game is certainly very beautiful thanks to Frostbite 3.
Err, having better graphics than DA:O and DA2 doesn't mean it's beautiful. And their artstyle got progressively worse. If DA:O was simply bland, and biggest offenders were mages' hats, WoW pauldrons and decolletaged leather armor for females, DA:2 went full retard with almost all armor and clothing. And now we got this:

I mean, wtf are they smoking? Who in the right mind looked at this design and said: "Oh, that's cool, that's so edgy!" and approved it? I won't even go and argue that for the company who praises themselves to be INCLOOSIVE and FIGHTERS AGAINST EVIL CIS-WORLD, champions of feminism and crusaders against sexism their females sure are clothed to show all the goods. This "robe" design actually reminded me of this:

...but much less sensible. And that's saying something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom