Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

DraQ

Arcane
Pomosexual ... also describes someone who is sexually attracted to the Post Modernist movement.

:what:

I'd prefer to be a paedo-necrophiliac with a thing for scat than that.

Do people know no limits?
pleasawe tell me this LGBTQ shit is photoshop:rage: why the fuck would they even talk about this shit in dragon age context? i mean its fucking medieval in thedas, they cant shapeshift your vagina into big black cock can they? and how many trannies play video games ffs :x its not even political correctness, i fucking miss that mage faggot from witcher 2:x:

Gaider's DA comics made a transwoman character canon. She's likely going to show up as a NPC (but not a party member) in DAI.

Also it doesn't really matter how many of them play games as long as they feel welcomed. I know at least two transwomen who post at the BSN.

Normally ingame logic is vital. Here, however, the ingame logic constructed by the writers, but this particular aspect of it has zero effect on the themes or plot. BUT if we are going to talk ingame logic, I'm sure that shapeshifting genitalia/breasts is a lot simpler than shapeshifting into an entirely different species.

My bigger concern is that which I worry about in all Bioware (and most other game writing) games: is this putting in a character because the writers wanted a diverse cast, or does the character actually tie in to the feel and themes of the game. Note I didn't say 'plot' - it's easy to add trivial plot points that bring in extraneous characters, there are plenty of characters in all media that are vital to the work despite having little direct connection to the plot. Themes and feel mean a lot more - and are woefully underthought in most game writing.

That doesn't mean the character's transexuality has to have thematic relevance - that can be part of the characterisation that lifts it from a 'bottle of themes' to an actual character (though given the obliviousness of even Bioware's most prominent female writers to the fact that she isn't just writing - but PROMOTING DA2 ON THE BASIS OF - the whore/mother/virgin characterisation uber-cliche, I am skeptical that Bioware can actually deliver on characterisation beyond dating-sim wish-fulfillment. But actually irks me with Bioware's attempts at diversity and sex isn't the diversity itself. That's a good thing, all things considered. But there's never any sign in Bioware games that anyone has sat back and thought 'how does this character contribute to the game's themes and feel?' 'Could we tell this same story, with the same themes without this character?' 'Are we trivialising the aim of diversity by inserting theses characters as unnecessary padding.'

Even in a sprawling game like FO1 and Deus Ex, there are very few (if any) characters without thematic significance (same with VtMB) - noit all are info dums of philosoraptory (very few are), but they all build the world, feel and themes in SOME way. None of them are merely padding - characters with no other purpose than to be characters in the game.

The same reasoning applies to what character actions you focus on. You don't focus on the characters brushing their teeth before going to bed, do you? Even though you could probably insert some teeth-brushing related plot. You don't do it because it is utterly unrelated to the games' themes and feel as a whole. 9 times out of 10, when a game introduces sex or romance, the same problem arises. That's why they're exploitational dating sims, not interesting character interaction.

As a guy who was actively bi prior to marriage, I have no problem with including gay, bi or transgender characters. But in Bioware's case, crying 'trans/homophobia' is deliberately disiningenius. The problem is that times and time again, Bioware has inserted characters purely for the sake of diversity, with no thought as to how those characters will fit the theme and feel of their games. The characters become padding - unnecessary and irritating padding, serving only as wish fulfilment for the kind of people who couldn't pick up even a good pulp book, let alone literature - and that's not an educational snobbishness: there's no shortage of easy to read/watch literature.

That trivialises the very diversity Bioware wants to be lauded for. What worse way of using diverse characters than turning them into sex-fetish freakshows that could have been dropped without losing anything of substance. Can you imagine Silent Hill 2 without the guy's wife? Can you imagine KoTOR2 working (on the restoration mod version) without Bao-dur as a foil to the Exile as they are both being brought full circle, to the point where Bao-dur eventually reaches a grim determination that actually what they did the first time WAS necessary, as he rebuilds the device that devastated the planet the first time around (leaving the Exile to fact e the same choice)? As an example of a minor NPC, can you imagine PS:T without Ingriss, the impoverished hive dwellers, the diseased members of the lower ward and the sensates as slaves to their desires...building a theme and setting where everyone - EVERYONE - is trapped in one way or another; just like the TNO when it starts to dawn that he can't just escape out and start again. That like Hamlet (and there's a lot of Hamlet in the TNO's arc), all he can do is move beyond the naivity of thinking that he can achieve some higher justicet - that like when Hamlet responds to Horatio pointing out the obvious (that it's a trap, from which Hamlet will have no chance of escaping), he finally realises that what really matters now isn't being the romantic hero - it's the long-overdue step of finally doing what needs to be done.

There's no reason why this couldn't be done with diverse sexualities. But Bioware has never shown any interest in doing so.
:salute: :obviously: :bro:

Caim

Arcane
Normally ingame logic is vital. Here, however, the ingame logic constructed by the writers, but this particular aspect of it has zero effect on the themes or plot. BUT if we are going to talk ingame logic, I'm sure that shapeshifting genitalia/breasts is a lot simpler than shapeshifting into an entirely different species.

My bigger concern is that which I worry about in all Bioware (and most other game writing) games: is this putting in a character because the writers wanted a diverse cast, or does the character actually tie in to the feel and themes of the game. Note I didn't say 'plot' - it's easy to add trivial plot points that bring in extraneous characters, there are plenty of characters in all media that are vital to the work despite having little direct connection to the plot. Themes and feel mean a lot more - and are woefully underthought in most game writing.

That doesn't mean the character's transexuality has to have thematic relevance - that can be part of the characterisation that lifts it from a 'bottle of themes' to an actual character (though given the obliviousness of even Bioware's most prominent female writers to the fact that she isn't just writing - but PROMOTING DA2 ON THE BASIS OF - the whore/mother/virgin characterisation uber-cliche, I am skeptical that Bioware can actually deliver on characterisation beyond dating-sim wish-fulfillment. But actually irks me with Bioware's attempts at diversity and sex isn't the diversity itself. That's a good thing, all things considered. But there's never any sign in Bioware games that anyone has sat back and thought 'how does this character contribute to the game's themes and feel?' 'Could we tell this same story, with the same themes without this character?' 'Are we trivialising the aim of diversity by inserting theses characters as unnecessary padding.'

Even in a sprawling game like FO1 and Deus Ex, there are very few (if any) characters without thematic significance (same with VtMB) - noit all are info dums of philosoraptory (very few are), but they all build the world, feel and themes in SOME way. None of them are merely padding - characters with no other purpose than to be characters in the game.

The same reasoning applies to what character actions you focus on. You don't focus on the characters brushing their teeth before going to bed, do you? Even though you could probably insert some teeth-brushing related plot. You don't do it because it is utterly unrelated to the games' themes and feel as a whole. 9 times out of 10, when a game introduces sex or romance, the same problem arises. That's why they're exploitational dating sims, not interesting character interaction.

As a guy who was actively bi prior to marriage, I have no problem with including gay, bi or transgender characters. But in Bioware's case, crying 'trans/homophobia' is deliberately disiningenius. The problem is that times and time again, Bioware has inserted characters purely for the sake of diversity, with no thought as to how those characters will fit the theme and feel of their games. The characters become padding - unnecessary and irritating padding, serving only as wish fulfilment for the kind of people who couldn't pick up even a good pulp book, let alone literature - and that's not an educational snobbishness: there's no shortage of easy to read/watch literature.

That trivialises the very diversity Bioware wants to be lauded for. What worse way of using diverse characters than turning them into sex-fetish freakshows that could have been dropped without losing anything of substance. Can you imagine Silent Hill 2 without the guy's wife? Can you imagine KoTOR2 working (on the restoration mod version) without Bao-dur as a foil to the Exile as they are both being brought full circle, to the point where Bao-dur eventually reaches a grim determination that actually what they did the first time WAS necessary, as he rebuilds the device that devastated the planet the first time around (leaving the Exile to fact e the same choice)? As an example of a minor NPC, can you imagine PS:T without Ingriss, the impoverished hive dwellers, the diseased members of the lower ward and the sensates as slaves to their desires...building a theme and setting where everyone - EVERYONE - is trapped in one way or another; just like the TNO when it starts to dawn that he can't just escape out and start again. That like Hamlet (and there's a lot of Hamlet in the TNO's arc), all he can do is move beyond the naivity of thinking that he can achieve some higher justicet - that like when Hamlet responds to Horatio pointing out the obvious (that it's a trap, from which Hamlet will have no chance of escaping), he finally realises that what really matters now isn't being the romantic hero - it's the long-overdue step of finally doing what needs to be done.

There's no reason why this couldn't be done with diverse sexualities. But Bioware has never shown any interest in doing so.
:bravo:

This guy gets it.

The thing is, if you include LGBT characters (and straight ones, come to think of it) solely for their sexuality you get shallow, uninteresting and unbelievable characters. Sure you can include LGBTs or whatever floats your boat, but you have to make them human (or whatever species they are) to make them believable.

For example: imagine a fantasy RPG where one of your party members is the best friend of the player character. They've known each other for years, are best bros and bla bla bla. But there's one thing the guy never told the player character: he's gay. You could handle this wrong way. Have him go "Yeah I'm gay. I never told you? Oh. Say, you wanna fuck~" or something along the lines. That is not a believable character. That's how it works in fucking Saints Row. And while this is a personal preference, don't have your party members' sexual preference be clear from conversation 1. Not everything is about sex, so don't have them insinuate they'll smoke your cigar or munch on your taco all the time (I'm looking at you, Pirate of the STDean from DA). Instead, have the player discover who they are during the course of the game, by doing missions that match their goals and doing things they approve of.

And another thing: when they do show their true colors do not have the player go "to fuck or not to fuck". Put some thought into it: how would you react if your best buddy told you he's gay? Would you laugh it off, denounce him, shrug and crack open a cold one, or finally profess your love for him? How would you react if you were a woman instead, and had a crush on him? How would you react if you also discovered he was in a relationship with your brother? Or if he admitted to a crush on you? For the love of fuck, don't make it binary.

Another example: your paladin lady will sleep with both men and women. And she's been raised in a religious order of the goddess of love that included the clergy performing sexual acts on one another as religious rites, and all novices have to spend time in the church-run brothels (the only place where prostitution is legal) as confessors/prostitues. And she sees having sex as a prayer of some kind and will sleep with anyone, given a proper (read: large) donation to the church. Some people have a really warped sense of what sex is: would you sleep with such a person? Would you call her and her lifelong beliefs wrong, agree with them or go "that's hot" and hit on her? Don't be afraid to repulse the player: it's an emotion too.

Or how about a lesbian woman who discovers she was as such after she had a husband and child? A gay man who sees his homosexuality as a massive "fuck you" from the gods and seeks to rebel against them, only discovering along the way that the gods are indeed dicks but for unrelated reasons? Or the guy who'll sleep with your character regardless of gender because he's always followed your lead and has no sense of what he wants for himself?

What I'm trying to say is, sex can be an option but it's not always the climax. And people might be affected by their sexuality but it's not all what they are.

And for the love of god, have the characters make sense.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
LGBT characters need no special justification to exist in a work of fiction. I don't see the problem with including them just to include them as long as there's a ton of them so they don't run into tokenism problems.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
LGBT characters need no special justification to exist in a work of fiction. I don't see the problem with including them just to include them as long as there's a ton of them so they don't run into tokenism problems.

Including them to include them is fine, just don't put a neon sign above their heads and write the dialogue like an after school special.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Including them to include them is fine, just don't put a neon sign above their heads and write the dialogue like an after school special.
Some people are outrageously gay. I don't see any resemblance to an after school special. There's never been any preaching involved or lessons to be learned.

Liston

Augur

You completely missed the point, every character needs justification to exist in a work of fiction (if that work is good) irrespective of their gender or sexual orientation. Just being gay or trans* isn't justification enough. If you set a goal to populate your world with representatives of enough* groups and their only justification is being a member of that particular group then you end up with a shity cast of characters that have nothing to do with the story you are trying to tell. I think that people have a point to expect something like that from Bioware when you look at DA2.

*refer to SJW section of tumblr for exact number of characters you are required to include in your work

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You completely missed the point, every character needs justification to exist in a work of fiction (if that work is good) irrespective of their gender or sexual orientation.
Going with that means hardly any characters deserve to exist in any Bioware game. So might as well make 'em all queer. Because straight white male (and sometimes female) as the Default is stupid and dumb and I hate them.

Liston

Augur
You completely missed the point, every character needs justification to exist in a work of fiction (if that work is good) irrespective of their gender or sexual orientation.
Going with that means hardly any characters deserve to exist in any Bioware game. So might as well make 'em all queer. Because straight white male (and sometimes female) as the Default is stupid and dumb and I hate them.

Well we agree on that (mostly). Although I wouldn't say that Biowere's previous failings can be attributed to absence of queer people. But I do think that they would make a better story if they just made everybody queer instead of going through some checklist to make sure that they have one of each group and ending up with bunch of caricatures.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I feel like sexuality, both queer and non-queer gets slapped on a lot of characters in Bioware writing.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Biowhores should start making dating simulators on frostbite3. Just imagine - they would be monopolists in english-speaking market, will compete with all that jap shit and, most importantly, will create games they always wanted to make and work in a genre they always wanted to work.

Caim

Arcane
Well, Namco is working on a high school dating sim with their characters, so maybe Bioware could do the same? Slap all Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate, NWN and KOTOR characters into a single high school and watch it happen.

Well, Namco is working on a high school dating sim with their characters, so maybe Bioware could do the same? Slap all Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate, NWN and KOTOR characters into a single high school and watch it happen.
NWN had characters? I don't remember anyone from OC, and I've tried to play it two times. Both time I gave up though, shit's unbearably inane.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"NWN had characters? I don't remember anyone from OC, and I've tried to play it two times. Both time I gave up though, shit's unbearably inane."

Idiot. Then again, you are probably a Minsc fanboy or want to have sex with the retarted Firebug. LMAO

You sir are :obviously:
:salute:

Some people are outrageously gay. I don't see any resemblance to an after school special. There's never been any preaching involved or lessons to be learned.

Oh man you whiny First World SJW.

Seeing hw you disregarded Azreal's thoughtful post, I know you are just a troll and don't give a fuck about actual real issues so many women and LBGT have to face IRL, or for good cRPGs for that matter.

Here in India, being a openly gay man is much worse than being a woman (read the recent strings of reported brutal gang rapes where shit like actually removing the uterus form the victim in a public bus happens). Here when people riot and fuck shit up protest in metropolitan cities for gender equality, they actually demand the right of a single working woman to use public transportation without the constant fear of being kidnapped and gangraped. And forget most rural villages...

So to use your logic. Some People are extremely homophobic, and go around raping and murdering gay people. And if the police here know the victim is gay (and not related to some powerful politician/bureaucrat/businessman) , they are more likely to lock up the victim and abuse them. Why not portray this in games? And tbh, this will reflect the brutality of being gay in European medieval (on which I assume DA setting draws some inspiration from, but the shit in DA2 makes me doubt any coherent thought went into it at all) times much more than being a fabulous homosexual.

Last edited:
"NWN had characters? I don't remember anyone from OC, and I've tried to play it two times. Both time I gave up though, shit's unbearably inane."

Idiot. Then again, you are probably a Minsc fanboy or want to have sex with the retarted Firebug. LMAO
Ah, Volly, you've gotten progressively worse in arguments, how does that even possible, given that you hadn't got the skill to begin with? :salute:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hey, Shitless Fapper, don't cry over being butthurt when someone states the truth. It only embarasses you and amuses others.

BBMorti

Arcane

You sir are :obviously:
:salute:

Oh man you whiny First World SJW.

Seeing hw you disregarded Azreal's thoughtful post, I know you are just a troll and don't give a fuck about actual real issues so many women and LBGT have to face IRL, or for good cRPGs for that matter.

Here in India, being a openly gay man is much worse than being a woman (read the recent strings of reported brutal gang rapes where shit like actually removing the uterus form the victim in a public bus happens). Here when people riot and fuck shit up protest in metropolitan cities for gender equality, they actually demand the right of a single working woman to use public transportation without the constant fear of being kidnapped and gangraped. And forget most rural villages...

So to use your logic. Some People are extremely homophobic, and go around raping and murdering gay people. And if the police here know the victim is gay (and not related to some powerful politician/bureaucrat/businessman) , they are more likely to lock up the victim and abuse them. Why not portray this in games? And tbh, this will reflect the brutality of being gay in European medieval (on which I assume DA setting draws some inspiration from, but the shit in DA2 makes me doubt any coherent thought went into it at all) times much more than being a fabulous homosexual.
I don't see how India being a shithole, when it comes to human rights, is relevant to a Canadian company making a computer game. Are you simply ranting or do you have a coherent point?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why not portray this in games? And tbh, this will reflect the brutality of being gay in European medieval (on which I assume DA setting draws some inspiration from, but the shit in DA2 makes me doubt any coherent thought went into it at all) times much more than being a fabulous homosexual.
If someone wants to explore those issues, they're free to. DA isn't Europe though. It takes place on a fictional world called Thedas (The Dragon Age Setting) so they're free to be as homonormative as they want.

Oh, lawdy, they announced that quinari will be a playable race..male and female.
omg I know what I'm going to be

tumblr_m9obncMv7r1qfn92co1_500.jpg

tumblr_maym2pfjSV1r040l6o9_1280.jpg

I demand a proper shirt of course.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
http://au.gamespot.com/features/dra...ustrophobia-hello-to-tactical-combat-6413921/

What makes these new regions tougher is the fact that enemies don't auto-scale to the player's level in Inquisition, meaning you might wander into a landscape full of high-powered enemies capable of wiping you out in mere seconds if you haven't put in the proper amount of leveling. But come back to that area after you've spent some time exploring other parts of the world and it might be a different story.

"I want players to say, wow, that's an enormous dragon and I can't kill him right now," says Laidlaw. "But I'm gonna gear up and bring the right party, learn the right abilities, and we're going to go dragon slaying later. Other times, you'll come across a few low-level bandits and you'll get the satisfaction of just taking them out."

Part of the move toward bigger spaces is the desire to give players more control over combat situations. Instead of funneling you through one enemy-infested hallway to the next, BioWare wants players to be able to be able to approach a group of enemies from whichever angle they want, plan their approach, and execute that strategy on their own schedule.

One tool you can use to plan those approaches is the overhead tactical camera, a feature found in the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins that was then eschewed from its sequel in favor of faster, more frenetic combat. In Inquisition, the tactical camera is available on all platforms--consoles and PC. It essentially allows you to pause time, pull back to an isometric view high above the ground, and issue attack and movement orders like a general on the battlefield. And once those orders are issued, you can either jump back into the standard third-person camera or remain in the overhead view for the entire fight, watching your orders play out in real-time and micromanaging your party until every enemy is dead.

In one important way, the combat has been made more punishing: your party no longer auto-heals at the end of a big fight. This means you'll need to manage your healing items and resources as you descend deeper into caves and enemy strongholds, ensuring you've done the proper amount of prep work before embarking on a lengthy quest into the unknown.

"Being the leader and exploring the idea of burden of leadership is really enticing," says Laidlaw. "It changes the dynamic you have with the game. Suddenly, when someone asks you to rescue their cat it doesn't make sense. You're bigger than that."

If you still hold any faith in Bioware, I'd say this is something to look forward to.

Zeriel

Arcane
I like when they present old standards as a new innovation.

OMG GUISE NO LEVEL SCALING!!!! THIS IS THE FUTUR3 OF VIDEO GAEMZ. Never mind we spent the last ten years shitting on it and telling you why it was dumb.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Knights of the Old Republic has no level scaling or out-of-combat instant-health regeneration and it's still one of the easiest games of all time. DA:O and even 2 are more demanding despite having both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom