Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

imweasel

The game is certainly very beautiful thanks to Frostbite 3.
dragon_age1.jpg

More Screenies here:
dragon_age11.jpg
dragon_age111.jpg
dragon_age1111.jpg
dragon_age11111.jpg
dragon_age111111.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
The Titanic sunk, therefore all ships are worse than horse-drawn buggies.

~roguey logic~

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Typical Codex:

"Look guys, this company that has been making increasingly shittier games is showing some signs of moving to the right direction."

Codex: "blargh doesn't mean anything blagh their marketing is ridiculous baiofjjwerhntgaw3,.frwa3.,"

Zeriel

Arcane
They're absolutely not showing signs of moving in the right direction, they say this stuff before they release every game. They're not going to reverse course on the direction they've been going, it's not their methodology. Fundamentally, they aren't even capable of changing, as most developer studios aren't. Their style is emblematic of their employees, and the change we've seen in the last few years is directly attributable to employees who made their past games different leaving the company.

As a result, the only thing that would catch my attention is if said people who left rejoined the company.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
What does this prove, that competition breads excellence. At least when it comes to graphics.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Selecting the "Shut up" option in Mass Effect, for example, may have led to an unexpected act of violence that didn't suit the character, or damaged something later on that you may not have expected. Now, when you highlight dialog, you'll see a text pop-up explaining what's likely to happen if you say or do something.

tumblr_ml01gvUPCG1r18fjgo1_500.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Titanic sunk, therefore all ships are worse than horse-drawn buggies.

~roguey logic~
Um what.

I'm saying individual features like "level scaling" and "health regeneration" don't necessarily mean anything. It's all about content.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'd argue that any good game that has level scaling can be improved by designing the game without it, but whatever. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Selecting the "Shut up" option in Mass Effect, for example, may have led to an unexpected act of violence that didn't suit the character, or damaged something later on that you may not have expected. Now, when you highlight dialog, you'll see a text pop-up explaining what's likely to happen if you say or do something.

tumblr_ml01gvUPCG1r18fjgo1_500.gif

Yeah, I always saw this as the biggest merit of Bioware's modern iteration of "RPGs": how incredibly trolly and hilarious the dialogues turned out to be.

*Clicks 'Hello' dialogue option. This seems polite!*

*Shepard shoots someone in the face while bellowing, "HELLO LADIES AND GENTLEMEN."*

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, the game looks like tits. At least they improved on that since the ballsfest that Dragon Age 2 looked like.

The dialogue wheel shall turn for all eternity.
It's the Unity of Rings. Many things are circular, coming back around to where they started.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Some gameplay. The graphics look fucking amazing.
-snip-
I can't say that I agree, the colours makes me think that they hired Boris Vorontsov (ENB guy) or at least have been inspired by him, but other than that I find little new. I suppose that it might look good if you compare it to how bad Bioware are usually doing in the grafics department.

The gameplay itself looked very bad, they seem to have kept too much of the old systems while trying to go full DS/Skyrim/Witcher.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, the game looks like tits. At least they improved on that since the ballsfest that Dragon Age 2 looked like.

It's the Unity of Rings. Many things are circular, coming back around to where they started.

I still don't like the character/art design. The engine is technically great, but what they do with it is a little what the fuck.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Knights of the Old Republic has no level scaling or out-of-combat instant-health regeneration and it's still one of the easiest games of all time. DA:O and even 2 are more demanding despite having both.
I think the arguments against level scaling are that it breaks verisimilitude, and breaks a feeling of progression. Obviously it could be used to keep enemies difficult.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What does this prove, that competition breads excellence. At least when it comes to graphics.

Something actually struck me as really odd about those graphics and I can't exactly pinpoint what. That first scene with the green cave almost had me fooled I was watching modded Oblivion, but even after that something just doesn't work with the graphics for me. Maybe because they've been flip-flopping with styles over the games or because I've seen too much of Witcher 3's gritty look, but Inquisition looks somehow too... manufactured, for the lack of a better word. Models don't seem to mesh with the landscape for me, especially the dragon.

I'm probably just nitpicking, though. It certainly looks like it will belong in 2014.

Caim

Arcane

I still don't like the character/art design. The engine is technically great, but what they do with it is a little what the fuck.
Yeah, there's some crazy stuff in there. I mean, look at that image of the group standing in the field. What the fuck is that woman wearing.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Something actually struck me as really odd about those graphics and I can't exactly pinpoint what. That first scene with the green cave almost had me fooled I was watching modded Oblivion, but even after that something just doesn't work with the graphics for me. Maybe because they've been flip-flopping with styles over the games or because I've seen too much of Witcher 3's gritty look, but Inquisition looks somehow too... manufactured, for the lack of a better word. Models don't seem to mesh with the landscape for me, especially the dragon.

I'm probably just nitpicking, though. It certainly looks like it will belong in 2014.

The architecture is horrid. Otherwise, I think it looked like a pretty cool game. I'm sure they'll fuck that up with nonsense C+C and power fantasy romance.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Combat looks quite active, I wonder if microing your fighter to dodge/block manually will be vital? The tactical camera return sounds good, but it could still be balanced around sitting on one character in over-the-shoulder view using abilities on cooldown. Would be great if they got this right.

Zeriel

Arcane
Have to hand it to them, their marketing lies are mindblowingly shameless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom