Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Azarkon

Arcane
I don't think it's arguable that GoW combat > its clone, aka Mass Effect, but hey, you never know the depth of stupidity.

WoW's combat, whatever its faults, was challenging enough that its Hardcore modes back in TBC required full-time career gamers to defeat. The amount of coordination and strategic theorycrafting involved >>> what passes for a combat system in DA.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bioware's C&C is, at best, at the level of what's found in games ie Bioshock 1-2, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dishonored, and Saint's Row, where you get a few different endings to choose from based on what you did/did not do during the course of the game. This level of C&C was unique a couple of years ago; today, it's a norm in a lot of games.
What an extraordinarily disingenuous oversimplification.

I don't think it's arguable that GoW combat > its clone, aka Mass Effect, but hey, you never know the depth of stupidity.

nope mass effect 3 combat > gears of war combat. playing as a vanguard > playing marcus fenix:M

Azarkon

Arcane
Bioware's C&C is, at best, at the level of what's found in games ie Bioshock 1-2, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dishonored, and Saint's Row, where you get a few different endings to choose from based on what you did/did not do during the course of the game. This level of C&C was unique a couple of years ago; today, it's a norm in a lot of games.
What an extraordinarily disingenuous oversimplification.

It's exactly what Dragon Age 1, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 were. For that matter, ME 3 didn't even care what decisions you made before the end.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I actually find some of Bethesda's characters mildly entertaining at times. The foulmouthed ghoul spy in Point Lookout was a bro. I think they might be good at creating characters who have a nasty streak to them.

Yeah, I would say they are actually good at designing characters (and worlds) but bad at fleshing those out with dialogue and plot.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Huh? The ghoul, a good character? His only personality trait was that he swore a lot. Bethesda's characters are blunter than a sledgehammer to the face. A concept or idea or stereotype isn't a character.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh? The ghoul, a good character? His only personality trait was that he swore a lot. Bethesda's characters are blunter than a sledgehammer to the face. A concept or idea or stereotype isn't a character.

Sometimes a concept is amusing enough, I suppose.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You're not insane Infinitron, I remember getting a kick out of that guy too, and his weird nemesis and their little plot. Even the Ashur guy in The Pitt had some impressive aspects.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bioware's character/stat/equipment systems ares a lot worse than Bethesda's, especially the ones in Mass Effect 2-3 and Dragon Age 2"

Fuck off.

"Bioware's C&C is, at best, at the level of what's found in games ie Bioshock 1-2, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dishonored, and Saint's Row, where you get a few different endings to choose from based on what you did/did not do during the course of the game. This level of C&C was unique a couple of years ago; today, it's a norm in a lot of games."

Fuck Off 2: The Sequel: That Is Bullshit.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
BS4D5YTCQAAucv0.jpg:large

Sooooo. The place faggotry on the same level as design, crafting and storytelling? Well, no surprise here...
Also, overall retardation is marvelously spectacular even before this shit begins.

BS4D5YTCQAAucv0.jpg:large

Sooooo. The place faggotry on the same level as design, crafting and storytelling? Well, no surprise here...
Also, overall retardation is marvelously spectacular even before this shit begins.
please tell me this LGBTQ shit is photoshop:rage: why the fuck would they even talk about this shit in dragon age context? i mean its fucking medieval in thedas, they cant shapeshift your vagina into big black cock can they? and how many trannies play video games ffs :x its not even political correctness, i fucking miss that mage faggot from witcher 2:x:

Caim

Arcane
please tell me this LGBTQ shit is photoshop:rage: why the fuck would they even talk about this shit in dragon age context? i mean its fucking medieval in thedas, they cant shapeshift your vagina into big black cock can they? and how many trannies play video games ffs :x its not even political correctness, i fucking miss that mage faggot from witcher 2:x:
They could have gone all out with having LGBTQIAIACTHULHUFHTAGN instead.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Do yourself a favour and stop talking, volourn."

That be doing you a favour so nah.

Truth hurts right? Go cry someone who cares about hurting you. I post the truth.

DEAL. WITH IT.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Gaider's DA comics made a transwoman character canon. She's likely going to show up as a NPC (but not a party member) in DAI.

Also it doesn't really matter how many of them play games as long as they feel welcomed. I know at least two transwomen who post at the BSN.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Gaider's DA comics made a transwoman character canon. She's likely going to show up as a NPC (but not a party member) in DAI.
Also it doesn't really matter how many of them play games as long as they feel welcomed. I know at least two transwomen who post at the BSN.
Wait, are you serious? gayder put tranny in his comics? because at this point when talking about BioWare I cannot separate irony from reality

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wait, are you serious? gayder put tranny in his comics? because at this point when talking about BioWare I cannot separate irony from reality
Uh huh.
tumblr_mo3659ktQb1qe27noo1_1280.jpg

004_zpsfab78675.jpg

2house2fly

Magister
It's not a medieval setting, it's a magical fantasy setting. There's spells that let you turn into a swarm of bees, you don't think they could swap out a cock for a nice minge and pair of tits if they wanted to?

Rake

Arcane
It's not a medieval setting, it's a magical fantasy setting. There's spells that let you turn into a swarm of bees, you don't think they could swap out a cock for a nice minge and pair of tits if they wanted to?
Realisticaly yes. It's only logical that there would be a female mage with cock envy or a perverted old mage who made that spell.
That doesn't mean that it isn't a completely riddiculous thing to have in a game. By the same logic you should be able to dominate minds and take every character you want on the spot, because in a setting where mind control is posible, that would be one of the first things someone would devise a spell for.

pleasawe tell me this LGBTQ shit is photoshop:rage: why the fuck would they even talk about this shit in dragon age context? i mean its fucking medieval in thedas, they cant shapeshift your vagina into big black cock can they? and how many trannies play video games ffs :x its not even political correctness, i fucking miss that mage faggot from witcher 2:x:

Normally ingame logic is vital. Here, however, the ingame logic constructed by the writers, but this particular aspect of it has zero effect on the themes or plot. BUT if we are going to talk ingame logic, I'm sure that shapeshifting genitalia/breasts is a lot simpler than shapeshifting into an entirely different species.

My bigger concern is that which I worry about in all Bioware (and most other game writing) games: is this putting in a character because the writers wanted a diverse cast, or does the character actually tie in to the feel and themes of the game. Note I didn't say 'plot' - it's easy to add trivial plot points that bring in extraneous characters, there are plenty of characters in all media that are vital to the work despite having little direct connection to the plot. Themes and feel mean a lot more - and are woefully underthought in most game writing.

That doesn't mean the character's transexuality has to have thematic relevance - that can be part of the characterisation that lifts it from a 'bottle of themes' to an actual character (though given the obliviousness of even Bioware's most prominent female writers to the fact that she isn't just writing - but PROMOTING DA2 ON THE BASIS OF - the whore/mother/virgin characterisation uber-cliche, I am skeptical that Bioware can actually deliver on characterisation beyond dating-sim wish-fulfillment. But actually irks me with Bioware's attempts at diversity and sex isn't the diversity itself. That's a good thing, all things considered. But there's never any sign in Bioware games that anyone has sat back and thought 'how does this character contribute to the game's themes and feel?' 'Could we tell this same story, with the same themes without this character?' 'Are we trivialising the aim of diversity by inserting theses characters as unnecessary padding.'

Even in a sprawling game like FO1 and Deus Ex, there are very few (if any) characters without thematic significance (same with VtMB) - noit all are info dums of philosoraptory (very few are), but they all build the world, feel and themes in SOME way. None of them are merely padding - characters with no other purpose than to be characters in the game.

The same reasoning applies to what character actions you focus on. You don't focus on the characters brushing their teeth before going to bed, do you? Even though you could probably insert some teeth-brushing related plot. You don't do it because it is utterly unrelated to the games' themes and feel as a whole. 9 times out of 10, when a game introduces sex or romance, the same problem arises. That's why they're exploitational dating sims, not interesting character interaction.

As a guy who was actively bi prior to marriage, I have no problem with including gay, bi or transgender characters. But in Bioware's case, crying 'trans/homophobia' is deliberately disiningenius. The problem is that times and time again, Bioware has inserted characters purely for the sake of diversity, with no thought as to how those characters will fit the theme and feel of their games. The characters become padding - unnecessary and irritating padding, serving only as wish fulfilment for the kind of people who couldn't pick up even a good pulp book, let alone literature - and that's not an educational snobbishness: there's no shortage of easy to read/watch literature.

That trivialises the very diversity Bioware wants to be lauded for. What worse way of using diverse characters than turning them into sex-fetish freakshows that could have been dropped without losing anything of substance. Can you imagine Silent Hill 2 without the guy's wife? Can you imagine KoTOR2 working (on the restoration mod version) without Bao-dur as a foil to the Exile as they are both being brought full circle, to the point where Bao-dur eventually reaches a grim determination that actually what they did the first time WAS necessary, as he rebuilds the device that devastated the planet the first time around (leaving the Exile to fact e the same choice)? As an example of a minor NPC, can you imagine PS:T without Ingriss, the impoverished hive dwellers, the diseased members of the lower ward and the sensates as slaves to their desires...building a theme and setting where everyone - EVERYONE - is trapped in one way or another; just like the TNO when it starts to dawn that he can't just escape out and start again. That like Hamlet (and there's a lot of Hamlet in the TNO's arc), all he can do is move beyond the naivity of thinking that he can achieve some higher justicet - that like when Hamlet responds to Horatio pointing out the obvious (that it's a trap, from which Hamlet will have no chance of escaping), he finally realises that what really matters now isn't being the romantic hero - it's the long-overdue step of finally doing what needs to be done.

There's no reason why this couldn't be done with diverse sexualities. But Bioware has never shown any interest in doing so.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Realisticaly yes. It's only logical that there would be a female mage with cock envy or a perverted old mage who made that spell.
That doesn't mean that it isn't a completely riddiculous thing to have in a game. By the same logic you should be able to dominate minds and take every character you want on the spot, because in a setting where mind control is posible, that would be one of the first things someone would devise a spell for.
You can do that in Arcanum

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom