Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
one of my grandfathers raped an Asian whore in WW2 so I'm personally invested in a potential Jade Empire sequel. I couldn't watch more than 15 seconds of the video before clicking the x on my tab...so i guess i'll never know.

Delterius

Arcane
i know da2 was crap and nobody wants to remember shit about this game but anders went all psycho in 3rd act because of fucking vengeance spirit in his fucking head. justice was creepy fucker already in awakening. and his finale act wasnt even half retarded as was orsinos tranformation into da:origins dlc bosso_O
...which totally contradicted not only Justice's characterization in DA:A, but most of his endings, too. Well, that's Bioware for you.
I wouldn't know about Justice's endings, but I think the idea in DA2 was that Ander's willing posession by Justice changed him. The past games already hinted that the contact between mortals and spirits changes the nature of both. Justice himself says that the mere cult of the Maker mortal-side changed the outlook that many spirits have of themselves and their portfolios, some adhering to Chantry dogma. Hence Justice's 180º - from a fairer if not overly vanglorious form of Justice into the realm of Revenge.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Justice was pretty brutal in Awakening, if I recall correctly. He also attacked me at the end for sparing the Architect.

abija

Prophet
THE CLOUD to the rescue!
TBH keeping saves on EA servers will prevent save scumming too :D

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You know, for when you can't be bothered to actually carry over your players' decisions properly because you wrote yourselves into a corner one time too many. But I guess it's better than pretending everything they did never happened so thumbs up for Bioware in the end. Why this isn't in the game proper, though?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
You know, for when you can't be bothered to actually carry over your players' decisions properly because you wrote yourselves into a corner one time too many. But I guess it's better than pretending everything they did never happened so thumbs up for Bioware in the end. Why this isn't in the game proper, though?
Wait, do you mean...DLC? Day one DLC to have your decisions to be carried over? Just imagine possible profits! Consequences will never be the same!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I guess that's a decent way to do it if you're going to insist on doing it. I'll probably just leave it on default to see what they consider normal.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Wait, do you mean...DLC? Day one DLC to have your decisions to be carried over? Just imagine possible profits! Consequences will never be the same!

Brilliant! Worked for Paradox.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Romance in Dragon Age

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/08/28/romance-in-dragon-age.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

"You need to make sure they're a real character and a person first." Once BioWare forms the history and motivations, the writers sit down to address how many romance options they need, and begin dissecting their characters.

---

from every angle. This forces the team to look beyond just the premise and into what implications it presents. "Are there issues of feminism or other problematic elements? What are we saying about this character we aren't intending to?" Gaider says. "We have to think about all those issues first and try to distill it down into a set of stories that we want to tell and feel good about telling."

/infiltron-ing

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
"They're real people..."

"So of course we have to arbitrarily crowbar a set number of romances into their asshole."

It's as if they don't even hear what they're saying as it leaves their mouth.

Athelas

Arcane
Bioware's obsessive focus on romances is just cringe-worthy. It's like the entire spectrum of human interaction completely eludes them.

"We'll talk about what the romantic arc is and what that character's story can tell as a romance," says lead writer David Gaider. "Because there's more than insert coin, get sex, right?
Says the guy who designed it so that you could give your companions gifts to raise their approval level.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"They're real people..."

"So of course we have to arbitrarily crowbar a set number of romances into their asshole."

It's as if they don't even hear what they're saying as it leaves their mouth.
If you think about it, it explains a lot of the dialog options in Mass Effect.

Actually a lot of the entire history of Bioware dialog options.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Making pirates go an extra mile if they want to see more reactivity perhaps.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
"Because there's more than insert coin, get sex, right?
No, it's click big red heart icon, get sex.
BioWare also has to make sure they've looked at a relationship from every angle. This forces the team to look beyond just the premise and into what implications it presents. Are there issues of feminism or other problematic elements? What are we saying about this character we aren't intending to?" Gaider says. "We have to think about all those issues first and try to distill it down into a set of stories that we want to tell and feel good about telling."
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, blaming a writer for shitty game mechanics is kinda stupid, but a writer who dislikes combat rarely can tie up combat and plot into successful and organic combination.
:bro:

To be unnecessarily fair to Bioware, I think their NPCs are actually deeper than 90% of their competitors products. Compare them to the cardboard cutouts that Bethesda puts out for example.

They're still shit, but it's the turds that float to the top in a sea of diarrhea.

actually, I don't think they're that bad. Though the last two games they made were definitely a turn for the worse. Prior to that Bioware usually hit average
The thing is bethesda seems to actually realize they can't characters, so they focus on what they can do (despite bumbling a lot), while biowhore's mediocre characters are what they do the best.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing is bethesda seems to actually realize they can't characters, so they focus on what they can do (despite bumbling a lot), while biowhore's mediocre characters are what they do the best.

I actually find some of Bethesda's characters mildly entertaining at times. The foulmouthed ghoul spy in Point Lookout was a bro. I think they might be good at creating characters who have a nasty streak to them.

Azarkon

Arcane
What DraQ said. Bioware's entire niche is in-depth character interactions. Take that away and what do they have left?

Bad Gears of War clones.

There's nothing unique about Bioware's games other than the fact that they're the last remaining AAA developer of character-driven RPG lites - well that and their LGBT fixation. These days, they have zero competition in this area because Obsidian failed to secure a foothold in the market.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
". Take that away and what do they have left?"

Good character/stat system, fun combat, better C&C than the vast majority of rpgs out there, etc., etc.

But, hey enjoy your Twitchers and Oblivshits and Shadowdiarrehas.

R00fles!

Azarkon

Arcane
". Take that away and what do they have left?"

Good character/stat system, fun combat, better C&C than the vast majority of rpgs out there, etc., etc.

But, hey enjoy your Twitchers and Oblivshits and Shadowdiarrehas.

R00fles!

Bioware's character/stat/equipment systems ares a lot worse than Bethesda's, especially the ones in Mass Effect 2-3 and Dragon Age 2, not to mention the bulk of MMOs and Action RPGs ie the Torchlights.

Their tactical combat is a rip off of Gears of War and World of Warcraft, except those games have unique and well balanced combat that doesn't involve wearing you out with 40-50 enemies at a time and pausing every three seconds to issue commands. The industry is saturated with tactical combat simulators besides, so this doesn't exactly stand Bioware out.

Bioware's C&C is, at best, at the level of what's found in games ie Bioshock 1-2, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dishonored, and Saint's Row, where you get a few different endings to choose from based on what you did/did not do during the course of the game. This level of C&C was unique a couple of years ago; today, it's a norm in a lot of games.

i was about to reply with long rant how vanilla skyrim/oblivion/f3 are unplayable turds but than

Gears of War and World of Warcraft, except those games have unique and well balanced combat

:dead:

and what can bethesda actually do?
c&c? nope
fun and deep combat system? nope
interesting main quest/side quests?nope
consistent lore? nope
balanced character system?nope
animations?graphics?nope
unique art style?nope
no game breaking bugs upon release?nope
their last good game was morrowind :obviously:

at least mass effect 2/3 are good for what they are
:popamole:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom