Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Osvir

Learned
Looks like a Kingdom of Amalur clone. :rpgcodex:

Really? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-aK0z8xeAus#t=47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jnKFXhm-Kbk#t=57

Well, I suppose there's a certain perspective to it.

Tactical view looks great though. Allows you to play more to how you wanna play/progress and how you want to experience the game. DA:I also seems slower and less "anime"-flashy than Amalur. I really dig the Mage's in DA:I :D there's a snippet of a close up of a Mage having a magical Tome hovering in front of him. Looks badass :D

Scoured this thread a lil bit (skimmed), I understand the skepticism. A week ago I was there too, but the Tactical View (imo) really does fill my heart with some shreds of hope of a strategical and challenging game. I hope the Difficulty of DA:I is better than both DA:O and DA2, they probably have the experience of game making to make it so and the professional talent as well.

Much of the reason to why DA2 is so vague is probably due to the game getting casualized (or popamolested) in that installment. DA:O didn't have a too intriguing Nightmare difficulty either, but definitely better than DA2. I've got faith that DA:I will be better than DA2 and DA:O, from the looks of it and from the Dev commentary.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

Tactical view looks great though. Allows you to play more to how you wanna play/progress and how you want to experience the game. DA:I also seems slower and less "anime"-flashy than Amalur. I really dig the Mage's in DA:I :D there's a snippet of a close up of a Mage having a magical Tome hovering in front of him. Looks badass :D

Scoured this thread a lil bit (skimmed), I understand the skepticism. A week ago I was there too, but the Tactical View (imo) really does fill my heart with some shreds of hope of a strategical and challenging game. I hope the Difficulty of DA:I is better than both DA:O and DA2, they probably have the experience of game making to make it so and the professional talent as well.

Much of the reason to why DA2 is so vague is probably due to the game getting casualized (or popamolested) in that installment. DA:O didn't have a too intriguing Nightmare difficulty either, but definitely better than DA2. I've got faith that DA:I will be better than DA2 and DA:O, from the looks of it and from the Dev commentary.
DA2 was advertised as a tactical RPG as well. With all that "choose you way to play" and shit. In DA2 you too could place markers for companions. Camera still follows the marker - just like in DA2. They still did not talk about the main feature without which, all tactical view is worthless - friendly fire. And it look like that they are including it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Looks like a Kingdom of Amalur clone. :rpgcodex:

Really? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-aK0z8xeAus#t=47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jnKFXhm-Kbk#t=57

Let me know how that goes

norolim

Arcane
OK. Graphics are better (thanks to Frostbite), no level scaling and auto regen are good news. Tactical party management, though probably limited, is also good news. Infinitely respawning clones in tight corridors seem to be out. I would be prepared to say there is hope for this game...if I didn't know EAware is behind it.

As for the PAX presentation, I especially like the action camera, when trying to look at the archers on the bridge :D

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
fanboys.jpg

eremita

Savant

DA2 was advertised as a tactical RPG as well. With all that "choose you way to play" and shit. In DA2 you too could place markers for companions. Camera still follows the marker - just like in DA2. They still did not talk about the main feature without which, all tactical view is worthless - friendly fire. And it look like that they are including it.
There was friendly fire in DAO and DA2 on higher difficulties, I see no reason why it shouldn't be here...

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There was friendly fire in DAO and DA2 on higher difficulties, I see no reason why it shouldn't be here...
In DA:O it was present by default and turned off only on lowest difficulty setting(or normal for consoles, which is telling). In DA2 you get friendly fire only on highest diff. setting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's does not really apply to unfinished/continuously developed works. You know, like a video game trilogy after the second installment.
Anything is open to interpretation until explicitly defined in the material. Interrupting fanwank threads with NO IT'S ACTUALLY LIKE THIS is something a prima donna hack would do. Why does Gaider care so much about his BSB lore? Let people be wrong.

Yah, they've confirmed friendly fire. Apparently it might be a toggle despite their once saying they would never make it a toggle?

Friendly fire in DA2 was shit because the game obviously wasn't balanced for it. Your characters all have a relatively small health pool (seemingly to make constitution a more valuable choice, well it still isn't) whereas enemies have a large one because the manboons love seeing really large damage numbers so any given attack will one-shot any of your characters after you gain a few levels. Combine this with enemy reinforcements that spawn in the middle of your party and you have a mess. They applied a bandaid to this with the balance patch by removing melee friendly fire entirely and capping the damage you take from friendly fire so it always leaves you with at least 10% of your health, but that just reinforces the idea that the feature was a complete afterthought that was only included to placate those weird fans who are all "No friendly fire, no sale!"

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Oh god, that audience... "you can change party menber equipment" - WILD ROAR OF PRAISE.
Yeah

>Games have physics since like 2005, so we have some normal looking destruction of a gate too
Me: nice
Lady in the audience: *deep breath-in in awe* WHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

>Introducing wall of ice (in operation since like 1892?)
Me: well made. but looks the same like the freezing traps/sings they showed few minutes earlier so no surprise
Lady in the audience: OH MY GOD!!!!!!

>Mage calls in meteors. The meteor have not even appeared yet (that in fact looks cool)! There is just "ordinary flames circle around the mage" -> Spell is being placed by player, AoE indicator looks like any other in the game
Me: barely noticed. but seems like some new spell is being introduced. Bracing myself for some cool imagery
Lady in the audience: *loud deep breath-in in awe*
Me: Jus.... shut the the fuck up you bitch!
:patriot:

eremita

Savant
In DA:O it was present by default and turned off only on lowest difficulty setting(or normal for consoles, which is telling). In DA2 you get friendly fire only on highest diff. setting.
It's quite a specific feature, maybe it would be best to implement it as a separate option. Like hardcore mode in New Vegas.

EDIT: Oh, didn't notice Roguey's post.

And yes, It was pain in the ass in DA2, but nevertheless challenging (not game-breaking).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That gate scene was specially ridiculous...

- "Oh, this is a fortress, the gate is locked, so it's hard to get in, you must be wise to successfully assault it and- PUNCH TO OPEN GATE!!111!"
- "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The audience is still classier than the one that laughed at the guy who shouted "Rape her!" during Todd's Skyrim presentation.

That gate scene was specially ridiculous...

- "Oh, this is a fortress, the gate is locked, so it's hard to get in, you must be wise to successfully assault it and- PUNCH TO OPEN GATE!!111!"
- "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
i am guesing its some special attack of cassandra/her class. short before that he mentioned you could poison the wells of that fortress making enemies inside easier to beat. c&c:M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
i am guesing its some special attack of cassandra/her class. short before that he mentioned you could poison the wells of that fortress making enemies inside easier to beat. c&c:M
There's a screenshot floating around showing that all the classes have exploration abilities. Turning Dragon Age into a Metroidvania of sorts.

Diablo169

Arcane
Bioware seed their crowds at press conferences with staff members. The ridiculous amount of cheering is usually them. They did the same thing at E3

Bioware seed their crowds at press conferences with staff members. The ridiculous amount of cheering is usually them. They did the same thing at E3
:roll: i doubt that. more likely the audience first experience witch crpgs was oblivion, diablo 3 and mass effect 2 so groundbreaking features like changing companions armor or naming your weapons must be THE SHIIIIIIIIIT:yeah:

Athelas

Arcane
One wonders why Bioware is so focused on romance, when the mere presence of elemental weapons or evasive rolls is enough to induce its audience into an orgasmic trance.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's does not really apply to unfinished/continuously developed works. You know, like a video game trilogy after the second installment.
Anything is open to interpretation until explicitly defined in the material. Interrupting fanwank threads with NO IT'S ACTUALLY LIKE THIS is something a prima donna hack would do. Why does Gaider care so much about his BSB lore? Let people be wrong.

Honestly, I am not sure why Gaider does anything he does, I just find the charge of invading fan spaces inherently funny and symptomatic of a certain world view that can be found in the various tumblr hugboxes.

Lancehead

Liturgist
There was a picture posted a while back in (probably) the BioWare and ME thread with a Gaider quote which went along the lines of "players get to do what we want". I think he believes more in the authority of his vision in his game more than player agency or respecting player choices. So I guess he can't resist himself from correcting others on his most glorious creations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom