Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is what happens when you're forced to cater to two different crowds (console gamers vs. isometric RPG lovers). You get a half-assed compromise.

Or even just casuals versus "hardcore" or whatever term they use now-a-days for traditional fans.

Panderware.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The game will be meant to be played controling one character and having the AI managing the rest."

You sure can't beat many DA2 fights like that. I have to micro manage more in the DA series than the BG series. LMFAO And,d efinitely more than the KOTOR or ME series.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"You sure can't beat many DA2 fights like that."

Playing on normal, the balanced difficulty, I never had to touch my companions at all. I did have to customize their AI tactics mid-way through act 1 and occasionally readjust.

Rake

Arcane
"The game will be meant to be played controling one character and having the AI managing the rest."

You sure can't beat many DA2 fights like that. I have to micro manage more in the DA series than the BG series. LMFAO And,d efinitely more than the KOTOR or ME series.
I'll take your word for that as i haven't played them. But BG series? Get out of here.
DA2 on highest difficulty is not difficult, just a chore. It simply takes more time and forces you to pay attention to your health.
That was the only micromanagement i needed. And rotating between companions in order to have them drink a potion or spam an ability isn't a good example of micromanagement.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And rotating between companions in order to have them drink a potion or spam an ability isn't a good example of micromanagement."

yes, it is. WTF do you think micromanagement fukking easy? How would you micro manage in BG? Byy, rotyaing between comapnions and choosing what they do be it cast a spell, what enemy they attack, use an item, make them retreat, or wahetver.

Are you seriously that stupid? Don't answer. You post on the Codex. You are THAT stupid.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Normal = wussy. Doesn't count.

The whole point of discussion was they balanced normal for controlling your main character only. Keep the fuck up.

DA2 really needed a setting between normal and hard. I found hard to be too annoying, but normal too easy, as I said before.

I've played DA2 on hard, and it wasn't challenging - it was fucking tedious. While in DA:O hard mode was somewhere between normal and easy in comparison to older games (easy on required fights, normal on optional ones), in DA2 hard mode added even more HP bloat, which without units positioning and "ANOTHER WAVE!11" become really damn annoying.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Dragon Age: Inquisition - five ways BioWare's series has changed for the better

Duffing up a mage, Baldur's Gate style

5. It's all about the bantz
OK, so this doesn't quite qualify as a "fix", but I really like the pairing of Vivienne and Cassandra. They're entirely different characters - Vivienne's a hothouse plant, while Cassandra's a bruiser to rival Private Vasquez - but they compliment each other nicely in the fray. At one point during our demo, Vivienne rattled out a textbook analysis of a coming battle. "They will send in their expendable units first," she lisped. "To us they're all expendable, my dear", brayed Cassandra, while the Inquisitor and Varric looked on in emasculated awe. It's probably not going to attract a Palm d'Or, but I like the cut of your gib, ladies. Now - bring back Merrill if you please.

Every time i venture out of the codex i end up regretting, the inane shit that the major sites and publications write is just mind boggling.

OK, so this doesn't quite qualify as a "fix", but I really like the pairing of Vivienne and Cassandra. They're entirely different characters - Vivienne's a hothouse plant, while Cassandra's a bruiser to rival Private Vasquez - but they compliment each other nicely in the fray. At one point during our demo, Vivienne rattled out a textbook analysis of a coming battle. "They will send in their expendable units first," she lisped. "To us they're all expendable, my dear", brayed Cassandra, while the Inquisitor and Varric looked on in emasculated awe. It's probably not going to attract a Palm d'Or, but I like the cut of your gib, ladies. Now - bring back Merrill if you please.

They must be trolling right? Then again, it's the "official" Xbox magazine, not something that screams good articles to you.

Athelas

Arcane
The comments are even worse. Sadly, we live in a world where Bioware's writing is seen as the pinnacle of RPG storytelling.

Caim

Arcane
Wasn't it the Qunari's thing that they are specialized in doing one AND JUST ONE thing in life and they refuse to even try other things?

Why would such a person make a good Shepard Inquisitor? Even Shepard tends to solve things differently than I SHOOT STUFF.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - five ways BioWare's series has changed for the better

Duffing up a mage, Baldur's Gate style

Every time i venture out of the codex i end up regretting, the inane shit that the major sites and publications write is just mind boggling.
Heh, it's OXM, what did you expect.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Normal = wussy. Doesn't count."
Dragon Age II hard settings said:
Enemy health 130%
Enemy damage 140%
Enemy attack 150%
Enemy regeneration 1

Those are not enjoyable increases.

Always played DA:O on Hard difficulty, hated the HP bloat. But the game would've become easy as piss otherwise.
There was no difficulty-setting HP bloat in Origins.

Wasn't it the Qunari's thing that they are specialized in doing one AND JUST ONE thing in life and they refuse to even try other things?

Why would such a person make a good Shepard Inquisitor? Even Shepard tends to solve things differently than I SHOOT STUFF.
You're playing a Tal Vashoth, not a follower of the Qun.

Caim

Arcane

You're playing a Tal Vashoth, not a follower of the Qun.
One of those horned dudes, right? Hm, I guess that could sorta work.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Dragon Age; Origins
mjHsJ4R.jpg

Dragon Age 2
ksPnF5c.jpg

herp derp

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
the concentration of so much market-mumbo-jumbo in such a short text is actually kind of impressive

RPS did an interview with Laidlaw, where, among other things, it looks like he's taking a piss out of PE's and T:ToN mega-dungeons.
bppvhpk.png

[src]

Bad questions, meaningless answers.
They've saved the best for last. :hahano:
RockPaperMisogyny said:
Check back tomorrow for part two, in which we discuss sex/race choices and BioWare’s approach to issues like racism, the possibility of advancing the Dragon Age series to a wildly different time period, Inquisition’s revamped take on romances, and tons more.

Dragon Age; Origins
mjHsJ4R.jpg

Drago
herp derp

"Normal = wussy. Doesn't count."
Dragon Age II [b]hard settings[/b] said:
Enemy health 130%
Enemy damage 140%
Enemy attack 150%
Enemy regeneration 1

Those are not enjoyable increases.
Not to defend Roguey, but looks like you failed your Perception roll bro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom