Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

well bg1 was my first crpg ever in 1999 i didnt know anything about dnd at that time and because it was pirated version i didnt have manual. my english was even more broken than its now so bg1 was chalenging. that first mage at friendly arm inn killed me more times than firkraag or kangaax in bg2:rage:
i was lvl 3 paladin with 19 hp(didnt know you get random hp every lvl - didnt rsave/load/reroll) in cloakwood so wyverns/spiders were gangraping me every time:oops: six months later i bought icewind dale read fucking manual, made my own fucking team and raped everything with ranged weapons(4 longbows in team:thumbsup:)

anyway bg1 had tons of fucking hard encounters if you were not familiar with dnd 2nd edition and was 12 years old with settlers 3 as your only gaming experience

-fucking vampiric ice wolf west from beregost
-ankhegs oneshoting me before i even paused the game
-ogres/ogrillions one shoting my tanks if i didnt kite them
-sirens charming main character
-teleporting spiders, poisonous spiders, sword spiders
-fucking kobolds with fire arrows
-clerics with hold person spells

in da: o you could play on casual , never pause the game and just random click every skill thats not under cooldown right now and still finish the game. THATS THE FACT:rpgcodex:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"in da: o you could play on casual , never pause the game and just random click every skill thats not under cooldown right now and still finish the game. THATS THE FACT"

That's the point of casual. Only wussies who cna't into gaming would play on casual. Are you related to Hepler?

:roll: nope. the point is bg1 on easy is more difficult than da: origins on casual/normal.probably as challenging as da on hard. still bg2 with ascension mode shits on origins nightmare:obviously:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"nope. the point is bg1 on easy is more difficult than da: origins on casual/normal."

if you ar eplaying them on casual you are a fake player and your opinion is boring. BG is emant to play on hardcore D&D rules and DA is meant to be played on hard with friendly fire enabled.

The fact you feel the need to drag in a lame ass mod proves my point. DA series is more challenging than BG series. Not that either are super hard.

PERIOD.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Keep crying. It doesn't change the facts as I have posted them. DEAL WITH IT.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
DA series is more challenging than BG series

:hmmm:
dude da2 on nightmare is moronic clusterfuck not a challenge.
Well, I can say that upatched DA1 was very challenging (and very illogally unbalanced) at many points of the game (incredibly hard "zombie" attack in Redcliffe versus easy tower of oh-so-dangerous mages). Way more than any other biogame I have played. I heard it got patched later and the game becane much easier but I haven't played it since.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
in da: o you could play on casual , never pause the game and just random click every skill thats not under cooldown right now and still finish the game. THATS THE FACT:rpgcodex:

There were a lot of bad players who thought that DA:O was too difficult, even on normal/casual.

Of course they'd have just as much if not even more difficulty with BG.

Well, I can say that upatched DA1 was very challenging (and very illogally unbalanced) at many points of the game (incredibly hard "zombie" attack in Redcliffe versus easy tower of oh-so-dangerous mages). Way more than any other biogame I have played. I heard it got patched later and the game becane much easier but I haven't played it since.
The difference is that the zombie attack is optional. You can just leave. Alternately, make the fight easier by getting all those named NPCs to fight.

The fight against that optional rage demon in the mage's tower was difficult because of the damned friendly mages who would "help" you by casting fireballs at it even though it's immune to fire and you are not. :x

DA series is more challenging than BG series

:hmmm:
dude da2 on nightmare is moronic clusterfuck not a challenge.
i know first time i played without interent connection in my dormitory so i couldnt even download shale or patch that fucking game. still a team of 3 mages and alistair was enough.

There were a lot of bad players who thought that DA:O was too difficult, even on normal/casual.

it says more about the modern gamers than actual game doesnt it?

Delterius

Arcane
Well, I can say that upatched DA1 was very challenging (and very illogally unbalanced) at many points of the game (incredibly hard "zombie" attack in Redcliffe versus easy tower of oh-so-dangerous mages).
To be fair, the undead were caused by pretty much the same reason why mages are regarded as dangerous. True, you'd expect that the Pride Demons in the Tower would have been more dangerous, but, then again, the Tower was in disarray - its dangers were hardly part of the same cohesive whole. You had demons who were pretty much out for themselves, circle mages and apostates fighting over the place. Meanwhile, in Redcliffe, you've got a demon which had a lot of time to organize itself.

But there's one thing that should be noted in DA:O's balance. And that's how the player's arsenal is balance, rather it isn't. Picking a Mage already makes the game much easier. Picking certain spells allows you to breeze through the game. If, by chance, you got either Mana Clash or the Glyph of Neutralization then all magical threats become piss easy. There also the issue of the patch.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Indeed. Googling 'Dragon Age difficulties' brings http://social.bioware.com/forums/42...---what-was-giving-me-problems-8709701-1.html up. That is from just a year ago.

Origins is great with the method of increasing difficulty, labeling is still normal = easy, hard = normal etc. How can normal not use full A.I. ? If it had better ability descriptions, and in game mechanics information in general, nightmare would be a safe bet to start on. As it is, choosing what to level is a bit trial and error. I hope they return to this rather than the INCREASE EVERYTHING method of a lot of games.

Brinko

Arcane
s90pU9X.jpg

Osvir

Learned
I've got faith that DA:I will be better than DA2 and DA:O

My god, you have FAITH in Bioware? Amazing in this day and age.
More people need Atheism :smug:

So you have faith in Atheism? ;)

For all that it's worth, I thought DA:O was a good game. Great even. I had lots of fun with the game when it came out, with hindsight and history learning (I played DA:O before I played any of the IE games) there is a lot to ask for that I think DA:O is lacking. But my initial impression of it was that I thought it was really good.

Although I felt the same for DA2 on an initial impression, it did eventually fall flat and I ended up with a yawn and never really came back to it (I've tried, but the moment I see the opening screen I groan cus I know what's waiting for me). Only finished 1 Act. On a personal level, I'd say that's the difference between a good game and a bad game. If I don't play the game to completion, it's probably bad (~DA2). If I play it several times and discuss it to great extent, it's probably good (~DA:O).

DA:I looks great. Not quite Tides of Numenera, Project Eternity or Wasteland 2 material which I am mostly looking forward too, but it looks like Bioware is following the "trend" ;)

Rake

Arcane
That's why they desided to make the combat a Dark Souls rip off :roll:.
DA:I it's still a mix of :decline: with :incline: elements, which makes me believe Bioware don't know where to take the series and the final prodact will be a clusterfuck.
It tries to be PE lite mixed with Dark Souls lite mixed with Witcher lite mixed with Skyrim lite. What can go wrong here?
I expect it to be better than DA2, but i don't know if they want will make a game better than DA:O, and that because of intentional design desisions.
That's the problem with their hype machine as well. They try to sell the game to both action game fans and oldschool tactical fans at the same time. That's why we get comments like "combat will be fast but slow"

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sure is a lot of minor incline going on here. Whether it adds up to enough is the question. It's Bioware, so probably not. Sexy ass game though.

Rake

Arcane
That's why they desided to make the combat a Dark Souls rip off :roll:.
What gameplay looks like it resembles Dark Souls? I see similar aesthetics but not mechanics.
Not so much the gameplay we saw, but what Bio devs said, with manual dodge, aimed attacks etc. It all points to increasingly actiony gameplay.
And then they said that auto-attack is in, isometric camera is in etc. I'm realy curious how the combat will play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom