Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I'm speechless...

Funniest thing is that he said almoust exact words about PS:T less then two weeks ago. He talks in same marketing templates again and again, it would have been hilarious if it wasn't so disgusting.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
:lol: Now i wish he'd just retire and review classic novels so that we can have his take on them...

eremita

Savant
You're bunch of whiny bitches. 1. It's an interview for some mainstream shit, so I'm pretty sure it was like: "Al right Mike, you've got 1 minute/few sentences for your answers..." 2. He is obvously speaking from design point of view. Regarding design philosophy, Torment actually is about different solutions, focusing on non-combat gameplay mechanics, original, over the top characters etc. And when Laidlaw talked about Torment really bringing those stuff to the table, IMO he's just praising it for outstanding execution.

It's brief and shallow, but c'mon... :butthurt:

Lhynn

Arcane
You're bunch of whiny bitches. 1. It's an interview for some mainstream shit, so I'm pretty sure it was like: "Al right Mike, you've got 1 minute/few sentences for your answers..." 2. He is obvously speaking from design point of view. Regarding design philosophy, Torment actually is about different solutions, focusing on non-combat gameplay mechanics, original, over the top characters etc. And when Laidlaw talked about Torment really bringing those stuff to the table, IMO he's just praising it for outstanding execution.

And stupid, and dumb, and insulting in a way, and obviously abusing the Planescape name. :rpgcodex:

eremita

Savant

And stupid, and dumb, and insulting in a way, and obviously abusing the Planescape name. :rpgcodex:
OBVIOUSLY!:mob:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gaider likes Planescape... burn him!

Gaider dislikes Planescape... burn him!

Gaider breathes... burn him!

All of this is justified by the way.

Lhynn

Arcane
Gaider uses Planescape as a part of the PR department strategy, showing no undersanding of the game... burn him!

Gaider dislikes Planescape... What a cunt!

Gaider breathes... who gives a shit, wouldnt mind if that stopped tho

All of this is justified by the way.

Fixed it for you.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gaider uses Planescape as a part of the PR department strategy, showing no undersanding of the game... burn him!

I know this is your thought process, but he can like that game and still butcher it 15 years later when summarizing. You're putting way too much thought into his drivel. It's so unimportant to whether DA:I is a good game or not I could talk about Morrigan's bustline and make a broader point.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's funny that BioWare devs constantly praise PST and its design, but they doesn't to seem to learn anything from it. For example, compare superbly written companions in Torment and inane 'companions' in games like DA2 or ME3.

Laidlaw is responsible for DA2 (or so I think) and he should never be forgiven for this abomination.

Caim

Arcane
It's funny that BioWare devs constantly praise PST and its design, but they doesn't to seem to learn anything from it. For example, compare superbly written companions in Torment and inane 'companions' in games like DA2 or ME3.
Instead of learning from PS:T and making their own games better they follow the :decline:. It is... well, the definition of insanity.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, in about two hours Roguey is going to show up in this thread and explain how BioWare actually DID follow PS:T by making KOTOR more companion interaction oriented, etc, as compared with Baldur's Gate/NWN.

Rake

Arcane
OK, in about two hours Roguey is going to show up in this thread and explain how BioWare actually DID follow PS:T by making KOTOR more companion interaction oriented, etc, as compared with Baldur's Gate/NWN.
In fact i kinda agree with her. Bioware's direction(and Gaider's various comments) makes me believe that they want to make a PS:T but are simply incompetent to do it right.
Cinematic cutsceens instead of text, cheap romance and silly melodrama instead of more subtley in companion interaction, Gaider's and Co writing instead of Avellone's, but other than that the direction is the same.
I believe they were inspired by PS:T(at least the old guard inside Bioware), but the end product was an abomination.

Problem is that by now their retarded fanbase (and EA) has highjacked the control from Bioware, and forces them to focus on increasingly bad aspects of their narrative, or to make games at a timeframe that Bioware is unable to operate.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How did you guise not realize that the Torment portion of this interview was cut out and made into a previous article by RPS? Click. Bait.

Laidlaw said:

n504e0f0be9b76_large.jpg
That is a strange thing for him to praise because he said that the win-button nature of the persuasion skill was the reason why it was cut from DA2 and replaced with special tone options and companion call-ons.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is a strange thing for him to praise because he said that the win-button nature of the persuasion skill was the reason why it was cut from DA2 and replaced with special tone options and companion call-ons.

:lol: Holy crap, really? Can you find a source for that?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

http://www.gamespot.com/features/dragon-age-ii-final-thoughts-6305575/?page=4
ML: The removal, such as they were, was really the skills. My opinion of the Origins skills is that they were a little vestigial. They were there, and they certainly served their purpose in terms of putting points into crafting, and as a result of putting points in crafting, I can now make cooler things. That's very good, but the problem is, because we're providing a party where you can have a B team--to use the old Final Fantasy terminology--you could have Oghren as a master herbologist, mixing together all of your potions at camp rather than having you feel like you're making a meaningful sacrifice. You just have a character you simply didn't use who covered that base for you. Again, looking at that, we thought that really wasn't rewarding. It's more just kind of a pain. Survival being not exactly the most compelling skill and persuade being one that I personally felt was never particularly strong simply because it's an abstraction of natural charisma, which we in turn tried to turn it into, "OK, did you bring the right follower with you? Do you have the right personality to pull this off?"

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

ML: The removal, such as they were, was really the skills. My opinion of the Origins skills is that they were a little vestigial. They were there, and they certainly served their purpose in terms of putting points into crafting, and as a result of putting points in crafting, I can now make cooler things. That's very good, but the problem is, because we're providing a party where you can have a B team--to use the old Final Fantasy terminology--you could have Oghren as a master herbologist, mixing together all of your potions at camp rather than having you feel like you're making a meaningful sacrifice. You just have a character you simply didn't use who covered that base for you. Again, looking at that, we thought that really wasn't rewarding. It's more just kind of a pain. Survival being not exactly the most compelling skill and persuade being one that I personally felt was never particularly strong simply because it's an abstraction of natural charisma, which we in turn tried to turn it into, "OK, did you bring the right follower with you? Do you have the right personality to pull this off?"

He says Persuasion wasn't strong because it was an abstraction, not because it was a "win button". Can you do better?

eremita

Savant

He says Persuasion wasn't strong because it was an abstraction, not because it was a "win button". Can you do better?
Yep, a character with high wisdom in Torment actually feels more like a type of personality (with drawbacks in other fields) than character with "win button"...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Wasn't it the Qunari's thing that they are specialized in doing one AND JUST ONE thing in life and they refuse to even try other things?

Why would such a person make a good Shepard Inquisitor? Even Shepard tends to solve things differently than I SHOOT STUFF."

NEWSFLASH: IGNORANCE IS NOT A SUITABLE EXCUSE.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"PS did an interview with Laidlaw, where, among other things, it looks like he's taking a piss out of PE's and T:ToN mega-dungeons."

Only a toolbag woudl think that by reading into it in that matter. LMAO

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom