Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - official Codex verdict

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SNIPE

Grunker said:
mondblut said:
Grunker said:
So PS:T is an adventure game now?

Always was. Welcome back to Earth, where "a role-playing game" stands for a solid ruleset, tactical combat, resource management and freeform exploration, not hypertext-browsing in a digital CYOA booklet.

Am I being trolled?

What the fuck has that got to do with playing a role?

^ r00fles!

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Awesome I did not know Halo was an rpg! I played the role of master chief! Braaap braaaaap pew pew!

mondblut

Arcane
Grunker said:
Am I being trolled?

No, you are being ignorant and delusional.

What the fuck has that got to do with playing a role?

You can play a role in Halo.

Words like "Wizardry", "Might & Magic", "Goldbox series" and so on speak anything to ya?

relootz

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
PST is a western jrpg.

codexrage.gif

7/10

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker said:

No, you can't. You have no control over how Master Chief or whatever the hell his name is, interacts with other people. That of course being the key fucking part of playing a role.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
Enemies went from Level 0 to Level 13 (in this case) to 15 as I approached.

Welcome to the new shit.
As it was explained, there is no such thing as lvl0. Lvl0 simply means that you're too far to evaluate the enemies. Enemies don't change their levels dynamically.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Black said:
Sure, listen to jrpgfag over here.

hey, nigs. don't think i've ever seen you happy. i think things might start looking up for you an' yer life if you maybe just stop playing video-games. especially if you can't appreciate a well-done game when it comes around.

sorry to single you out...but you're one of those awesome examples of why the Codex can't be taken seriously.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Grunker said:
Grunker said:

No, you can't. You have no control over how Master Chief or whatever the hell his name is, interacts with other people. That of course being the key fucking part of playing a role.

1.Psychology. A therapeutic technique, designed to reduce conflict in social situations, in which participants act out particular behavioral roles in order to expand their awareness of differing points of view.
2.An instance or situation in which one deliberately acts out or assumes a particular character or role. HALO IS ROLEPLAY DUMBFUCK NUMBNUTZ NEWAGE FAG!!!Hl11!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Enemies went from Level 0 to Level 13 (in this case) to 15 as I approached. Frostback Mountains are supposed to be Level 7+, but 15 - 7 = 8, so the 5-Level difference is bullcrap.

Welcome to the new shit."

Your example proves nothing.

Level scaling is fine in DA.

Want 'proof'? I did the Dalish Forest first. It was really hard for me. I then did the Mage Tower. Comparitively speaking, it WAS much, much easier.

CASE CLOSED, judges, CASE CLOSED.

^In the rare occasion 1eyedking doesn't get something wrong, he makes up shit. Don't even worry about proving anything, or he'll ask you to play through 10 levels, reload and do it again somewhere else, otherwise he's right.

1eyedking

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
As it was explained, there is no such thing as lvl0. Lvl0 simply means that you're too far to evaluate the enemies. Enemies don't change their levels dynamically.
Proof?

blackshoe

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
1eyedking said:
Enemies went from Level 0 to Level 13 (in this case) to 15 as I approached.

Welcome to the new shit.
Proof please.

It's been stated numerous times on the official press releases and whatnot that all creatures in an area are scaled the second you enter that level. If you go into each dungeon at level 3, then they will be scaled accordingly. If you leave the dungeon and then come back, they will still be scaled to however strong you were at level 3.

I don't currently have empirical evidence to support that, since I don't really... well... care, but in my experience, I was having trouble with a particular dungeon, I left about midway through where I was barely surviving every fight, went and did a sidequest and another area, went back to that dungeon, and going through it at that point was a breeze.

Now, that's anecdotal and I'm sure someone will call me a liar or come up with another rationale, but my experience does seem to support Bioware's official statement.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Got bored by Redcliffe. Don't really have any motivation to play the game. They already killed off the only well-done character, Duncan, unless of course you have to do some rescue mission or fight an undead version of him (which you probably do). The dialogue is probably the worst in any Bioware game. Completely superfluous. Morrigan is the worst, I feel like I'm talking to an encyclopedia. Combat feels like a compromise between the enjoyable combat of the Infinity engine and the shitty combat of KOTOR, it's just too redundant to hold my interest. The regen is pretty gay, too. The setting aroused my curiosity, but not enough to make we want to play on.

The game just feels like a giant compromise. It lacks any edges. There's some slight passion underneath all the banal shit boringness, but I have to wade through too much crap to feel it. Maybe I'll play it through some day or gradually over months, but only to pass the time.

Edit: Also, is Loghain supposed to be a villain? He pales in comparison to Irenicus. I want another goddamn Irenicus.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Inziladun said:
Kinda stupid how he said choices had more impact in Mass effect.

Well, he admitted to having only played 25 hours of the game. But he is incredibly biased when it comes to RPG, and Mass Effect got the love because it used FPS-mechanics.

He's a very good reviewer compared to the usual shit, but when he reviews RPG, just smile, nod, and walk away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom