Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - official Codex verdict

Monocause

Arcane
made said:
Fucked up indeed. Probably one of the most contrived and unbelievable points in the whole story. Since my char was female, the conversation went like this:

Morrigan: PC, you don't have to die a tragic death, there is another way!
PC: Do tell!
Morrigan: Alistair and I will make babies, and when you slay the Archdemon who is also a dragon and an Old God its essence will be absorbed by the unborn child, creating an ABOMINATION INFUSED WITH THE POWER OF THE OLD GODS THAT WILL COME BACK AND HAUNT YOU IN THE SEQUEL.
PC: Wow, sounds pretty far fetched. You sure this will work?
Morrigan: Why yes, in fact, that has been my plan all along you see and the reason my mom sent me with you in the first place.
PC: Right, sounds good to me. Lemme just convince Alistair who hates you and would rather die than go through with that plan.
Alistair: WHAT! No way in hell!
PC: [persuasion] Cmon, we're friends, aren't we? Trust me.
Alistair: Oh well, ok.

*pathetic sex scene ensues at which point I reload an old save and tell her to gtfo*

Why unbelievable or contrived? Morrigan informs you that it was why Flemeth made her join you all along. If you romance her, she keeps warning you that you'll both end up badly because of your feelings. If you took time to get to know her better, you'd have the feeling that she has a hidden agenda out of your control.

Anyway, I think it'll be the canon ending too. Morrigan with a GW bhaalsp... old-god-soul-child. I'd guess that the second installment will begin with Morrigan getting killed and you - the child - having to fight your way out of the hands of assassins or kidnappers hired by an elven mage who's keen to use you to his own twisted ends.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Monocause said:
Anyway, I think it'll be the canon ending too. Morrigan with a GW bhaalsp... old-god-soul-child. I'd guess that the second installment will begin with Morrigan getting killed and you - the child - having to fight your way out of the hands of assassins or kidnappers hired by an elven mage who's keen to use you to his own twisted ends.
I am waiting to see how you will you explain human female Morrigan being able to give birth to dwarf or elf. :wink:

Monocause

Arcane
Hamster said:
Monocause said:
I am waiting to see how you will you explain human female Morrigan being able to give birth to dwarf or elf. :wink:

That's a good point. Since there're no half-elves or half-dwarves (nor is their existence ever hinted via dialogue/codex) in the game it's logical that the races can't mix. Can someone confirm that dwarf or elf PCs also get the proposal? That would be a serious flaw.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nowhere does it state that the different races can't mix either so who knows. The subjects never came up. For all we know, the race can be solely determined by one of the parents based on gender. Or there are half dwarves/half elves there but the differences between full dwarves and half ones is miniscule. *shrug*

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Have you guys read Terry Pratchett's first book about City Watch? The one where dwarfish step-father of Carrot Ironfounderson tells him "son, you are not really a dwarf" ? :lol:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If you have a female avatar and Alistair is not in your party, what's happening next?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
mondblut said:
Grunker said:
This fucking zeal for freedom makes me gag. PS:T and Bloodlines are shining examples of good adventure games with next to no freedom.

fixed

So PS:T is an adventure game now? This gets better and better. Oh, I'll make sure to take your arguments very seriously from now on :roll:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
And Dragon Age is the best game of 2009. Seriously, it is the best rpg since Arcanum. Sure sucks that our eternal nemesis BioWare had to deliver it but whaddayagonnadobouddit?! :wink:

Just finished my playthrough with a boring lightside human noble warrior. Going darkside elf mage next.

protobob

Liturgist
Andyman Messiah said:
And Dragon Age is the best game of 2009. Seriously, it is the best rpg since Arcanum. Sure sucks that our eternal nemesis BioWare had to deliver it but whaddayagonnadobouddit?! :wink:

Just finished my playthrough with a boring lightside human noble warrior. Going darkside elf mage next.

Going through my 2nd playthrough as an evil mage and it's like twice as fun as my first playthrough. I love this game.

Black

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:

Sure, listen to jrpgfag over here.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Black said:
Andyman Messiah said:

Sure, listen to jrpgfag over here.
"And look who's trolling now :d"

baronjohn

Cipher
Playing DA:O is like being torn apart by machine guns loaded with cliche bullets.

1eyedking

Erudite
Level scaling in effect:

lvlscale.gif

Enemies went from Level 0 to Level 13 (in this case) to 15 as I approached. Frostback Mountains are supposed to be Level 7+, but 15 - 7 = 8, so the 5-Level difference is bullcrap.

Welcome to the new shit.

Krash

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Level scaling in effect:

lvlscale.gif

Enemies went from Level 0 to Level 13 (in this case) to 15 as I approached. Frostback Mountains are supposed to be Level 7+, but 15 - 7 = 8, so the 5-Level difference is bullcrap.

Welcome to the new shit.

Why do you have to post this in two threads? Anyway, someone responded:

Azrael the cat said:
Level 7+ doesn't mean that the enemies will be around level 7. To the contrary, enemies will usually be many levels higher than that - say around level 13-15 in some cases, so that you must use your combined party to take them out.

I don't believe that it's possible to encounter a level 0 enemy in the game, so I'm going to assume that's just the game's way of indicating that you're too far away to see the level, or that the level hasn't been generated yet. Most likely is that the 'level-scaling' was the change from 13 to 15 that you saw when you approached. So that's 2 levels, easily within a 5 level range.

mondblut

Arcane
Grunker said:
So PS:T is an adventure game now?

Always was. Welcome back to Earth, where "a role-playing game" stands for a solid ruleset, tactical combat, resource management and freeform exploration, not hypertext-browsing in a digital CYOA booklet.

kris

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Level scaling in effect:

Welcome to the new shit.

sorry that doesn't prove anything. It is highly doubtful that the enemies change level as you approach. While the level 0 is a placeholder.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
mondblut said:
Grunker said:
So PS:T is an adventure game now?

Always was. Welcome back to Earth, where "a role-playing game" stands for a solid ruleset, tactical combat, resource management and freeform exploration, not hypertext-browsing in a digital CYOA booklet.

Am I being trolled?

What the fuck has that got to do with playing a role?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom