Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Origins vs Dragon Age 2

DA:O or DA2?

• DA:O

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DA2

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
(Preemptively placed in General Gaming, fuck you Jaesun)

So I'm finally playing Dragon Age 2. I recently completed Act 1, and frankly, it seems better than Dragon Age Origins. It's like the developers realized "shit we cannot into RPGs" and just turned it into an aRPG like Mass Effect. I do admit that the dialogue system in DA1 was superior, and the whole Rivalry thing is pretty dumb. Also being unable to change your party member's armor is pretty silly too.

For those of you who played DAO and DA2, which did you feel was better, and why?

Phage said:
I recently completed Act 1, and frankly, it seems better than Dragon Age Origins.

You haven't recycled enough of the maps and combat yet. Give it time, and then let the puke flow.

Project: Eternity
DA:O was quite fun for some time before you realized the weaknesses, DA2 was an unplayable mess if the demo was any indication (and I couldn't be arsed to even torrent the full game after trying that).

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Out of curiosity what was better about DA:O? I played that game and really didn't care for it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
At least DAO only recycled encounters instead of recycling...pretty much everything.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Phage said:
Out of curiosity what was better about DA:O? I played that game and really didn't care for it.

Some of the fights where actually challenging because of how they where designed and not because shit spawned out of thin air.
It had more then 2 copy pasted areas.
The companions where over all more consistent and made more sens (not a lot)
NO stop Dialogue wheel.
A more coherent and interesting story. Now the DA:O story is not great or even good, but it is still better then that fucking shit that was the DA2 story.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Huh? You had difficulty with fights in DA:O? The only time I had any trouble was at the final area when you have to create 2 parties because I didn't have enough equipment, lolol

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
DA2 had an incredible property....by being released it make even DA:O shittier...because that meant they werent gonna fix anything.

FatCat

Educated
CrimsonAngel said:
Phage said:

Some of the fights where actually challenging because of how they where designed and not because shit spawned out of thin air.
It had more then 2 copy pasted areas.
The companions where over all more consistent and made more sens (not a lot)
NO stop Dialogue wheel.
A more coherent and interesting story. Now the DA:O story is not great or even good, but it is still better then that fucking shit that was the DA2 story.

I might add more varied locations
more c&c
custom character and origin story's.
Top down view.

da2

cause my female awesome sarcastic bowman hawke knows how to use bow in close combat...

da2 all day bitches. i dont give a fuck about recycled locations. they were already horribly blant in origins.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Icewater said:
DA2 was shit, DAO was mediocre.
Yeah pretty much.
DA:O felt more tailored to your playthrough, with what followers you chose etc. Combat was a little more strategic, and there was actually a couple of encounters that were fun. Although it isn't fantastic in any way, it has enough to edge it over DA2 which had absolutely nothing going for it. Except big honkers.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Just quitted DA:O, due to the awful combat. The amount of micromanagement was mind numbling. You have to babysit every character in your party. No way to put them on autopilot. I, for one, prefere to control one character only, the one I consider as being "me", the party should just go along. And fight on their own, damn it! Having to control every single one of them, it breaks the immersion instantaneously. If I feel like playing a strategy game, I can find one, thank you very much.

CorpseZeb

Learned
baronjohn said:
Shit vs Turds vs Crap which is better and why??

Man... did you ever cleaned a toilet? Let's say, leftovers of diarrhea erm... heap or constipation heap, makes a difference. No... THE difference. So, it's very valid question "what is better and why". Seriously...

Ps. Only playing DA:O so far, some first missions, first town, first camp, some "uhm... god forbid... sex" with that swampy witchy chick, some quests, some grateful rednecks, some pointy elfs and werewolfes and... cannot continue further because I always fall asleep... after a while. But there are some chunks of gameplay and good old strategy, definitively - on contrary to infamously simple DAO2.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
DAO was... fair. I finished it and that time was well-spent. It was mediocre in most aspects: character creation and development, story, combat and encounter system, plus it had the mindnumbing derp roads - but all in all, I enjoyed the game. Wouldn't play it for a second time, though.
OTOH DA2 was a unbelievably atrocious mess of AWESOME action, EXTREME Hawke, SMEXY npcs and with even worse story and dialogues. Probably the worst game I've had the bad luck to play.
I'd rate DAO 6, maybe 6.5 out of 10. With some improvements to encounters, AI and character building it could well be 7 or even 8. 1-10 scale is too narrow to include DA2.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
As mediocre as DAO was, I doubt it even reaches the level of shit DA2 has. No, I haven't played DA2 and no, I never will. No buy, no pirate, you couldn't even pay me to play it. Between reviews, videos, and peoples opinions, I have no reason to think of it as being anything other than shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom