Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Origins vs Dragon Age 2

DA:O or DA2?

• DA:O

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DA2

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

bussinrounds

Augur
I agree with most here. DAO was mediocre. And DA2 was PURE shit.

racofer

Thread Incliner
20h56io.jpg

4m3rica

Educated
I can't say which is better...

I uninstalled DA:O after I got to the first town and realized how shitty and linear the gameplay would be. Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, my ass!!!

I will NEVER give DA2...one...fucking....kb....of space on my hard drive! :obviously:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
To be fair I played DA:O on console. Reasons - I have gamefly so it's cheap and legal, plus my laptop is an Inspirion 6400... I'd rather just play new shit on my lulzbox than on lowest quality. (And yes, lowest quality is surprisingly worse than Xbox)

I guess that's important because I had to play through DA:O without the overhead view, so combat in DA2 has felt a lot better compared to the clusterfucked hybrid of DA:O.

DemonKing

Arcane
I left DAO on my hard drive for a year or so after I finished as I sometimes contemplated playing again (or at least, the different Origin chapters).

I unisntalled DA2 as soon as I'd finished and was glad to purge it from my hard-drive.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I threw my fucking DA:O DVD over my fence after I finished it.

I will never taint my HD with the filth of DA II.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:

But you waited until you finished it, so what's the point? This is a detail you conveniently left out the other times you proudly boasted how you; in the interests of the greater good; destroyed you copy of DA:O.

Ovg

Cipher
Well, I finished DA:O, but I was drunk when going through derp roads and all other combat-intensive places, and my ol' friend whiskey sure helped me get through.

...I also fapped to lesbian action.

Bros why are you still posting shitty DA2 threads months after release? Don't waste precious KBs of space.

Multi-headed Cow

It's because DA2 has upcoming DLC so we're all getting excited again :bounce:

Baron

Arcane
I hated DA.

I didn't play DA2.

DA2 is therefore the more enjoyable game.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Jaesun said:

:bro:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Reading the Let's Play threads of DA II is actually much more enjoyable than playing Origins. I don't think I could get past the fucking ugly and overtly homosexual characters the game is filled with, but otherwise the sequel looks much better of the two. I don't really intend to find out myself, though.

Origins was boring as hell and after an hour you knew exactly how the game would play out. It's like BioWare tried to make the game as generic as possible. It was just combat after combat after combat with no sense of pacing and no interesting encounters. You had to go through hundreds of exhausting battles to advance the "plot". If you visited a city, you had to kill about a hundred guards and a few dozen bandits with no possibility to avoid these encounters. Why did I put all those points in coercion anyway?

On the other hand, Awakening didn't even pretend to be anything else than Mass Effect with swords. It had shorter dungeons, tighter pacing and slightly better characters, and that made it already a lot better and entertaining game despite the fact that nothing in it made any sense whatsoever. DA II seems to be even more in that vein, so I can't imagine it being a lot worse than Origins. It's still a game for faggots, but the same thing could be said about Origins – its fans are just a bit more reluctant to admit it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cut out the filler combat and dumb romance stuff in Dragon Age and it's a solid CRPG which probably needed another balance pass and a better character system. Dragon Age II is... almost impossible to sit through for five minutes without cringing, and its gameplay systems are damn near fundamentally broken. At least you can enjoy the first one if you're willing to put up with some of its faults; Dragon Age II has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's because DA2 has upcoming DLC so we're all getting excited again"

This. It's the Codexian cycle.

Anyways, they're botha bout equal and rate them about 8.5ish with strnegths and weaknesses.

GrudHeap

Novice
The friendship/rivalry system is a decent idea that could have led to some interesting character development decisions. But the whole game is pretty much a step down.

circ

Arcane
An excellent question.

When I first played DAO I groaned constantly. People kept saying, on the kodaks no less, that it was good. It looked like shit and everyone sounded like shit. The writing was shit. And it just kept getting shittier.

When I first played DA2 I laughed for about an hour straight. The blood was hilarious. Well that was pretty much it. The utter failure of everything was now hilarious.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
commie said:
Jaesun said:

But you waited until you finished it, so what's the point? This is a detail you conveniently left out the other times you proudly boasted how you; in the interests of the greater good; destroyed you copy of DA:O.

Would you rather I lie and complain about a games tire textures and call it shit, or actually play the entire game and then discuss it further on my experience on actually playing it?

Seriously commie....

You have successfully removed commie from your BRO list.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
if you finished the game then it means it was at least mediocre for you, even if the only thing that made you play for so long were 'lulz'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom