Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yo, what's wrong with NWN?
It's a good game.

v1c70r14

Educated
I think that Canadian Cities turned to a point of no-turning back. It's over, sealed, done. Nothing good will ever come out of Canada, ever. Seems like they destroyed the Canadian people so hard, it's indescribable.
You make it seem like anything good ever came out of Canada in the first place.

Vatnik Wumao
"Bioware" no longer exists.

Nobody who worked on the BGs is at the company anymore.
Nobody who worked on NWN, KotoR, Jade Empire, the original DA and ME games, is at the company anymore.

This is an empty shell bearing the skin of a company that used to make decent games.
Quoted for posterity, JarlFrank admits he considers NWN a decent game.
I don't, I just had to include it in the list for timeline reasons :M
I'm guessing that you do like NWN2's MotB though?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NWN2 has much better gameplay in general, yes. MotB is a good campaign, and while it still suffers from bad encounter design, at least it's not as fundamentally horrendous to play as NWN1.

EDIT:
NWN2 and its expansions MotB and SoZ, KotoR2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas... all made by Obsidian, which also isn't the same company anymore.

Chris Avellone is gone, Brian Mitsoda is gone, so are several other people responsible for those games.
No company is safe from this.

9ted6

Educated
Why is this game even a thread in here, anyway? The only one that didn't suck bull was the first one, and it was released when, 15 years ago?
To reminisce about the first one while shitting on Bioware or what's left of it and whatever the unholy fuck they and Dragon Age became.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
NWN2 has much better gameplay in general, yes. MotB is a good campaign, and while it still suffers from bad encounter design, at least it's not as fundamentally horrendous to play as NWN1.

EDIT:
NWN2 and its expansions MotB and SoZ, KotoR2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas... all made by Obsidian, which also isn't the same company anymore.

Chris Avellone is gone, Brian Mitsoda is gone, so are several other people responsible for those games.
No company is safe from this.
Tbh, FNV and Alpha protocol (Kotor too) are hardly good games quality-wise.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have this sneaky feeling that at least some of you wish BioWare (and Obsidian and some others) to be a kind of perpetual entity making the same type/kind/genre of video games for ever and ever. BioWare changed (went to shit according to some [and it did]) and that's good, that's how it works. I really don't get this strange brand of whining which goes around here sometimes, nobody who worked on BG is in BW anymoooreeeee, yeah, whatever. Everybody knows this.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Nobody who worked on NWN, KotoR, Jade Empire, the original DA and ME games, is at the company anymore.
Infinitron already rated this appropriately, but it should be pointed out in text that this is a myth. Unlike Obsidian, BW hasn't lost many of their veterans, including the guy who was the main writer on BG1. The actual problem is that all of them got brainwashed by wokeism.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron already rated this appropriately, but it should be pointed out in text that this is a myth. Unlike Obsidian, BW hasn't lost many of their veterans, including the guy who was the main writer on BG1. The actual problem is that all of them got brainwashed by wokeism.
This was true in the 2010s. They have lost most of them by now - just not all.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
They still have plenty of old school writers. Luke Kristjanson, Patrick Weekes, Mac Walters, Sheryl Chee, Mary Kirby. Nowhere near Obsidian level where there are literally zero old school writers remaining.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember reading dozens of pages ago that those Dredwolf leads are all young upstarts who either were doing QA shit for Bioware or basically started working only since Bioware stopped making any good games (DA:O, some would argue ME2).

The fact they need to bring someone who gtfo from Bioware as consultant to fix shit tells everything you need to know about the game.

May this be the coup de grace that rest Bioware name.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They still have plenty of old school writers. Luke Kristjanson, Patrick Weekes, Mac Walters, Sheryl Chee, Mary Kirby. Nowhere near Obsidian level where there are literally zero old school writers remaining.
Deadfire and Pentiment had Josh Sawyer, The Outer Worlds had Leonard Boyarsky. :)

This is an empty shell bearing the skin of a company that used to make decent games.
Neverwinter Nights is pretty lackluster, but the expansions (Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark) are excellent, gems even. They are the next best thing to the Baldur's Gate trilogy.

I also thought that was the consensus around here.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Neverwinter Nights is pretty lackluster, but the expansions (Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark) are excellent, gems even. They are the next best thing to the Baldur's Gate trilogy.

Consensus around here is that decline progressively, through metaphysical shenanigans, claims the past and retroactively makes it shit. NWN might have been ontologically nuanced but by now it's just shit. Get with the times. It's the current year.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

The truth is that NWN's core gameplay is so abysmally, irredeemably shit that no matter how good the campaign you design for it, it won't be fun to play.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Consensus around here is that decline progressively, through metaphysical shenanigans, claims the past and retroactively makes it shit. NWN might have been ontologically nuanced but by now it's just shit. Get with the times. It's the current year.
So, by that logic, in time, even classics like Fallout and Arcanum will be considered shit?
You gotta be kidding.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Cool.
So, in a matter of years (assuming humanity won't annihilate itself by then), games like Cybercock 2077, Glitcher 3 and Skyrimjob will be the very pinnacle of RPG design? Even on the Codex....
Perhaps humanity deserves its bloody fate.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
NWN was always shit, from day one.
Its visuals were shit even compared to its contemporaries.
Its gamepaly is among the most torturously slow in the entire genre.
Its solo character D&D approach was a stupid idea from the get go.
And people back then heavily criticized it for its flaws, it's just that some fanboys were willing to look past the many layers of shit because it had a good module editor (ok cool, but none of the modules are fun to play because of how shit the core gameplay is) and multiplayer (I guess the multiplayer is legit good, but I never played it).

Modron

Arcane

The consensus is the expansions are okay to decent and no one should play NWN OC.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
NWN was excellent.

It wasn't the successor to Baldur's Gate alot of people were hoping for - but so what? It was excellent in it's own right, for its own reasons. It was only bad if you went in expecting it to be something that it wasn't. IE Baldur's Gate 3, but I repeat myself.

Gargaune

Arcane

NWN's great, it's scientific fact, some poor souls are just confused because BioWare launched it without an "Original Campaign." It was quite strange, they came out and said "here's NWN" but the install only had nwtoolset.exe, it was only when Shadows of Undrentide was released that nwn.exe got patched in.

P.S. NWN still delivers incline today, two decades after its release. For example, see how much better this thread is all of a sudden? :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom