Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

9ted6

Educated
This was true in the 2010s. They have lost most of them by now - just not all.
They still have plenty of old school writers. Luke Kristjanson, Patrick Weekes, Mac Walters, Sheryl Chee, Mary Kirby. Nowhere near Obsidian level where there are literally zero old school writers remaining.
If anything it'd be better if they didn't have them, rather than only keeping the worst writers of the older games. Everyone talented left and the people in charge now were in minor roles back then and were never particularly good.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I thought the codex was keeping this thread alive to gloat and beat dead horses?

In a few years, we'll probably have threads on BioWare being dissolved and RIP, and who EA gives their IPs too. Unless BioWare had some kind of clause where they keep their IPs, then super RIP.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
BioWare fans seem to have migrated in mass to Baldurs Gate 3. A lot of the posts over there are about shipping characters, romances, companion interactions, almost nothing about actual gameplay.

I bet they will return on droves as soon as there is more info about companions and romances in DA. BioWare isn't helping their cause with reducing the party size tho, that was a stupid move even for them. Most of the complains are about how that will mean less party banter.

BioWare fans seem to have migrated in mass to Baldurs Gate 3. A lot of the posts over there are about shipping characters, romances, companion interactions, almost nothing about actual gameplay.

I bet they will return on droves as soon as there is more info about companions and romances in DA. BioWare isn't helping their cause with reducing the party size tho, that was a stupid move even for them. Most of the complains are about how that will mean less party banter.
I don't think there's much hype among Bioware fans about Bioware's new game anymore. There aren't "Bioware fans" as they were during the BSN days. There are certainly no new Bioware fans, the bunch of them seem to be the same ones who started following them a decade ago. The damage done by DA2 was too big and it was the beginning of the end for them.

People are talking about romances in BG3 because it's Baldur's Gate, the game that introduced romances and made companion interactions asn important part of the gameplay. It's also a common topic among non Bioware fans too and a lot of them won't play an rpg if there's no romances or party banter on it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought the codex was keeping this thread alive to gloat and beat dead horses?

In a few years, we'll probably have threads on BioWare being dissolved and RIP, and who EA gives their IPs too. Unless BioWare had some kind of clause where they keep their IPs, then super RIP.
As long as TOR brings in money, Bioware will survive. But I don't really see why they need Edmonton around anymore, they haven't been pulling their weight for nearly a decade.

9ted6

Educated
There aren't "Bioware fans" as they were during the BSN days.
This for sure. Bioware's got a reputation of having waifu and dangerhair fans, but those people were made fun of relentlessly by oldtime fans on BSN. Too bad they became the only notable fanbase Bioware had left.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This for sure. Bioware's got a reputation of having waifu and dangerhair fans, but those people were made fun of relentlessly by oldtime fans on BSN. Too bad they became the only notable fanbase Bioware had left.
Bioware deserves the degenerate community they've ended up with. They decided after all to pander to the part of the community discussing what Tali's sweat would taste like.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
As long as TOR brings in money, Bioware will survive.
Surprised that the game hasn't gone into maintenance mode by now tbh, but I guess that there are enough whales to buy cosmetics and keep it afloat.
According to a mmo-pop tracking site, it's 21 on the list of mmos with top daily activity and 18 overall. https://mmo-population.com/r/swtor

That being said, I don't know how much effort is needed to maintain it, so they could just have a skeleton crew to run it if they want.

... Also Anthem supposedly still has a daily playerbase of 78k? How the fuck? Where are these numbers being sourced from?

lycanwarrior

Scholar
As long as TOR brings in money, Bioware will survive.
Surprised that the game hasn't gone into maintenance mode by now tbh, but I guess that there are enough whales to buy cosmetics and keep it afloat.
Possibly one of the reasons Marvels Avengers stayed alive for several years, much longer than most people would've expected. Or possibly a contractual thing with the IP holder, who knows...

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
If anything it'd be better if they didn't have them, rather than only keeping the worst writers of the older games. Everyone talented left and the people in charge now were in minor roles back then and were never particularly good.
Patrick Weekes *was* considered one of the best before he became a shemale and dyed his hair. And again, Kristjanson is the BG1 guy. Stop clinging to the belief that people who were talented in the past always stay talented.

9ted6

Educated
Patrick Weekes *was* considered one of the best before he became a shemale and dyed his hair
What did he write?

Lodis

Educated
Patrick Weekes *was* considered one of the best before he became a shemale and dyed his hair. And again, Kristjanson is the BG1 guy. Stop clinging to the belief that people who were talented in the past always stay talented.
Weekes never wrote anything good. The most popular character he wrote in the past was Tali from Mass Effect and let's be serious nobody liked her because of her "muh homeworld" thing. They liked her because she was a quirky space gypsy with massive thighs and you could fuck her. He was the one who brainstormed Krem(the tranny character) into Inquisition and that was pre 2014. At no point was he ever considered "the best" at anything even by Bioware's incredibly low standards.

This guy was always a joke, he just started being more open about it because of Twitter.

nQk6L3Z.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Weekes never wrote anything good. The most popular character he wrote in the past was Tali from Mass Effect and let's be serious nobody liked her because of her "muh homeworld" thing. They liked her because she was a quirky space gypsy with massive thighs and you could fuck her. He was the one who brainstormed Krem(the tranny character) into Inquisition and that was pre 2014. At no point was he ever considered "the best" at anything even by Bioware's incredibly low standards.

This guy was always a joke, he just started being more open about it because of Twitter.
Revisionist. A lot of people (even here) praised him as being the best part of ME2 and 3.

There is a difference between keeping a writer like Weekes on a short leash and giving him creative freedom.

Not to mention that he is apparently not mentally stable anymore.

Camel

Scholar
He "was considered one of the best" by whom? Weekes has only Additional Design credit for DA:O and he was a senior writer for ME3, the worst game of the trilogy. Casey Hudson and Mac Walters shouldered the lion's share of blame for ME3. Kristjanson is good and he's easily one of the best among dross left at Bioware.

Tali's voice actress Ash(Liz) Sroka did an absolutely great job in ME2-3 which is also a huge part of her popularity. Her personal quest/mission was well-written and intertwined with the main plot getting you invested and carrying that investment from the second game to the end of the trilogy. Goddamn, am I praising Weekes's writing?

Last edited:

9ted6

Educated

nQk6L3Z.png
Whatever that word is for "getting off to the idea of being a woman", it's him.

Rhobar121

Scholar
He "was considered one the best" by whom? Weekes has only Additional Design credit for DA:O and he was a senior writer for ME3, the worst game of the trilogy. Casey Hudson and Mac Walters shouldered a lion's share of blame for ME3. Kristjanson is good and he's easily one of the best among dross left at Bioware.
If I remember correctly, they were blamed for it for a reason. Apparently, they made this "brilliant" ending together, ignoring the rest of the team.
I could be wrong because it was so long ago

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He "was considered one the best" by whom? Weekes has only Additional Design credit for DA:O and he was a senior writer for ME3, the worst game of the trilogy. Casey Hudson and Mac Walters shouldered a lion's share of blame for ME3. Kristjanson is good and he's easily one of the best among dross left at Bioware.
Straight from 2010:

What is amusing, is that Patrick Weekes wrote most of the characters and quests the codex LIKES about ME2.

He's kind of like MCA's brother from another mother.

And yeah, the change of writers was MUCH noticeable, and way better.
Weekes also did the parts of ME3 people liked and he was the one who Told All about how Hudson and Walters botched it.

Camel

Scholar
Straight from 2010:

What is amusing, is that Patrick Weekes wrote most of the characters and quests the codex LIKES about ME2.

He's kind of like MCA's brother from another mother.

And yeah, the change of writers was MUCH noticeable, and way better.
Weekes also did the parts of ME3 people liked and he was the one who Told All about how Hudson and Walters botched it.
Actually most of the writers in ME1 wrote for ME2 also.

Mass Effect 1 said:
Drew Karpyshyn lead writer
Lukas Kristjanson writer
Mike Laidlaw writer
Chris L'Etoile writer
Mac Walters writer
Patrick Weekes writer

The new writers for ME2 must be good, or perhaps having more writers let them allocate time better.

Which NPCs did Weekes write for?

Edit: Another interesting point is that they didn't take the lazy way out and keep more NPCs from ME1.
I have 4 out of 6 in the list as better than Weekes and probably give you Mac Walters as worse than him.

Aarwolf

Learned
That was Chris L'Etoile.
L'Etoile already had a reduced role in ME2 and no involvement with ME3.

L'Etoile also became a woke hack by the way, as he proved on The Outer Worlds.

I don't care what happend of him later, but his take on Legion and the Geth is interesting and it has a fruition in one of the most coherent and satysfing resolutions in ME3. Yeah, it still could be better executed (he himself told what was changed after his departure in the Geth lore and Legion character), but in a hot mess that was ME3 that was still one of the best parts thanks to his world and character buiilding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom