Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
...which means that elves are a closest local equivalent of mislims
Isn't it blantently obvious that the Qunari are Mooslims?

Hello, we are the Qur'an Qunari.

Hello, we follow the Qur'an Qun.

Hello, we once conquered Sicily Seheron.

Hello, we once conquered the Riviera Rivain.

AdN74BR.png
aPr6UEO.png

The fucking map of Thedas is just Europe upside down. Like 90% of fantasy maps are some form of Europe.

The analogy isn't even remotely subtle. Most nations have corresponding accents, as if it couldn't be any more on-the-nose. The Elves are meant to be some generic "oppressed" noble savage type group, as per Hollywood fetish for cannibals, headhunters, slave raiders, etc (at least they were meant to have once been worse imperialists than humans, so not quite the usual uncritical bs). Since Europe doesn't have any usual favorites like Native Americans, they went with Celts, giving them Welsh and Irish traveller asethetics. The Qun launch holy wars and convert people against their will, although they got toned down.

The Jester

Cipher
Announcement of an Announcement of an Announcement of an Announcement of an Announcement of an Announcement of an
Announcement of an Announcement of an Announcement of an Announcement of an Announcement of an Announcement of an
e9yz3f77hlmx.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
e9yz3f77hlmx.jpg

If it never comes out, it'll never be shit.

guy-tapping-head.jpg

La vie sexuelle

Learned

mediocrepoet

Patron
everyone is imitating Forgotten Realms
there are no other settings, yes

Now a thought occurred to me - everyone is imitating Forgotten Realms, including Bioware. But why not Ravenloft?
the lotr movies and its consequences

Ravenloft was too scary for Gaider, perhaps?

It hampered his ability to be edgy and "innovative". Everyone expects vampires to be degenerates.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

Now a thought occurred to me - everyone is imitating Forgotten Realms, including Bioware. But why not Ravenloft?

Ravenloft setting is an epitome of lazy writing and childish ttempts to scare. Unknowable incomprehensible all-powerful Powers are ruling the land and every single cosmic beings are powerless against them. It is like recent isekai power fantasies just reversed. Fitting for 13-15 year olds but then entire setting is laughable. And the worst part - every single Ravenloft setting is LINEAR.

Alex

Arcane

Ravenloft setting is an epitome of lazy writing and childish ttempts to scare. Unknowable incomprehensible all-powerful Powers are ruling the land and every single cosmic beings are powerless against them. It is like recent isekai power fantasies just reversed. Fitting for 13-15 year olds but then entire setting is laughable. And the worst part - every single Ravenloft setting is LINEAR.

Meh, that criticism would fit Planescape's Lady of Pain better, I think. Both powers and LoP are used as a big excuse as to why the setting works even though by AD&Di rules as normal they shouldn't. But for Ravenloft, you really need something to change how a metric ton of spells and magic work so they don't break the setting's premise; while in Planescape you have just some kind of agreement between the deities to make Sigil (or really, all of the Concordant Opposition) a huge neutral ground, a big planar Switzerland if you will.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I don't have specific requirements for settings in RPG games. I don't value the ability or intelligence of video game writers. However, it makes me laugh that even if they have a convenient pulp pattern at hand, they still reach for other pulp pattern, perhaps the most banal of them all.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Playing a cRPG with bad writing is like playing a FPS with bad gunplay. What's the point?

Most of the time you're reading text or listening to a voice actor drone on.

I've never had a good time in a cRPG with shit writing.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Isn't it blantently obvious that the Qunari are Mooslims?
Qurani are the Mudslime-Confucian Borg with gunpowder. They aren't completely pisslamic because they completely lack any notion of worshipping God or people having non-material souls/afterlife, but instead venerate their ancient sage Confucius Koslun and think that a person's soul is their tool of trade (sword for a soldier, book for a philosopher, etc).

Then again, even real-life Confucianism is far less secular and atheistic/materialistic than the Qun. It's a blend of all the worst elements of various eastern religions, through a prism of shitlib atheisturds. I hate it.

Self-Ejected
LOOK NEW TEASER OF THE TEASER OF THE TEASER OF THE TEASER OF THE TEASER

wow.jpg

Artstyle is all over the place dreadly awful. Why they insist to present games in a Micheal Bay fashion? All those idiotic out of context dramatic noises with this flashy lights not to mention they attempt to create hype for a game that is laughted at since the reveal. Bioware more like deadware.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I don't believe I've ever played a game with a nigger protagonist. If it came to it, what would be worse: playing as a (male) nigger, or a White female?
Wait, that's not true, I've spend hundreds of hours playing GTA: San Andreas. And I liked it, too. :negative:

It's almost like the choice and colourization of the player's avatar has almost nothing to do with a game's quality. Crazy, I know.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
This will be a generic fantasy third person action game. I don't know why anybody on the Codex is even remotely excited for it.

Semiurge

Cipher
Most are excited because of the ensuing drama. This is a game that can't become good, so I hope that it will be spectacularly bad. Netflix-bad.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Netflix-bad.
They are setting it in Neverwinter Tevinter, which gives them the excuse to make everyone Black and Brown (because ancient Rome, apparently, means dark skin in shitlib history, lol). Not that they needed that excuse when inserting random inexplicable niggers everywhere in Orlais and Ferelden in DAI (including black elves, black dwarves and black qunari).

Modron

Arcane
You're really butthurt about me not liking dross, aren't you. Which game you like did I insult?
Quite the opposite, I am impressed by your ability to play every single popular release for hundreds of hours while simultaneously belittling everyone else who has the same taste in games as you. No games for me to be insulted on behalf of because I haven't touched any of the big releases in which you've thrown a lot of time at BG3, Starfield, Cyberpunk, and Rogue Trader.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom