Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Falksi

Arcane
Only just plucked up the will to force myself through the trailer, and was actually pleasantly surprised with just how bad it is.

They killed it, literally. I don't think they could be fucking this up from any other angle possible, it's a complete shit show on all fronts.

Made even better by the fact that I'm chilling and having a blast on Skald too. Tonight, the world feels right.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Awkwafina face scan?
I will never understand the popularity of this bitch or Zendeya.
This is the game's director:
Imagine how much fun he is at parties when he mentions being a fag three times in his Twiter bio.
Lol are they fucking serious with this shit?

View attachment 50871
Tell me that's not a WarCraft 4 unit summoning icon.
Anyone who pays a single dollar for this vile trash will be raped by SumDrunkGuy at night.
fork was already going to buy it. You don't have to sell him on it.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I've also just realised...who is the healer? It doesn't matter does it. This isn't a party based game? Why bother with the companions if actual party build doesn't matter? This formula is confused like it doesn't know what to do with itself. As others have said it's like Mass Effect - if you are a biotic you just don't take the biotics with you even if you like Liara or whatever, there's no point in experimentation with party composition. Reducing it to 4 from 6 was bad enough this is just pointless. Just make it a solo game.

It's kinda funny that they celebrated their pc friendly UI with bells and whistles for DAI and now it's just dumbed down console UIs, and not only that, ugly as fuck too

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I've also just realised...who is the healer? It doesn't matter does it. This isn't a party based game? Why bother with the companions if actual party build doesn't matter? This formula is confused like it doesn't know what to do with itself. As others have said it's like Mass Effect - if you are a biotic you just don't take the biotics with you even if you like Liara or whatever, there's no point in experimentation with party composition. Reducing it to 4 from 6 was bad enough this is just pointless. Just make it a solo game.

Inquisition got rid of healers

Falksi

Arcane
Haha, awesome....

NmHk3aY.png

Green

Barely Literate
They even fucked up the voice acting. I don't know what reason they had to employ the black girl's VA, but her emotional range sure isn't it.

And as far as gameplay goes, actually gotta wonder how hack-and-slash it gets that they prefered to showcase it through a level 1 rogue with a grand total of 1 skill to his name.

ropetight

Savant
The companions.
GPq9Ug-XIAAXi0l
I feel like I've met all these characters before. I've met them in Mass Effect. I've met them in other Dragon Age games. I've met them in Baldur's Gate. And of course, I've seen them in movies and TV for the past two decades. I already know everything they're going to say. I already know everything they're going to do. I already know which ones I'll have to help heal from their dark pasts. I already know which ones are staying in camp and never being spoken to.
Trying to guess at the companions (I skipped through the reveal so might have missed any who already have characterisations). Left to right:
Elf Man With Extreme V Neck Shirt: Will be very annoying, and will no doubt have some trauma backstory that gets resolved after four lines of dialogue. May have suffered from last minute rewrites to make him more like Astarion in the wake of BG3's success, which will mean he's utterly incoherent. May end up being likeable at times if the voice actor gives an absolute A-grade performance, otherwise will just be irritating.

Qunari: This is hard to predict. She (I think that's a she?) will either be the only tolerable character, or a total void that you repeatedly forget is actually in your party. She will have a camp dialogue where she reveals that Qunari culture has a belief in nonbinary gender, and respects it greatly. Your dialogue options will all express your agreement. The writers, low on original ideas and able to think only in terms of existing tropes, may just write her as Worf, in which case she'll be the best companion.

Chirpy Elf Lady With Big Hair: She will be "comic relief" who makes you want to commit suicide whenever she's on-screen. If we're very very unlucky, she'll have a tortured backstory, offering us the true reason behind her joviality- it's a shield to hide her pain. Players will put her in camp ASAP and not take her out.

Old Man With Staff: Will have no character. Is there for people without fathers to enjoy the vicarious thrill of having a virtual father figure.

Goatee Man: I think he's the Alistair/Gale/etc equivalent; a generic "nice" man with a pleasant English accent who'll fall in love with the protag at first sight and be "adorably dorky" (ie annoying). I'm not 100% certain on this read, though; that character design could also be an Evil Guy. But there's got to be one generic "nice" English man, and he looks like the most likely candidate.

Halfling Girl: A dwarf I guess, but looks like a Halfling. She will be an amoral killer (like that blonde Elf in Inquisiton, or Zevran in Origins). She'll also be incredibly sexually aggressive, which the writers will not realise comes across as deeply unpleasant. You will be expected to find her audacious and exciting; instead, she'll be repugnant and annoying.

Indian Lady With Face Covered By Hair: She'll be cold and sarcastic. That will be more or less it, unless she has a manufactured backstory. She will have about three lines over the course of the game which actually get a laugh; these will be the only jokes that land in the entire script, which will win her a large fanbase. She may be the most tolerable character.
I'm fine with sexually aggressive and annoying companions if you can kill them at any time.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
A little over 10 years ago now, when I was a young guy just starting out, I was working one of my first jobs. One of my co workers was a flamboyant gay dude who had a tattoo that referenced the "witch of the wilds". I asked what it was and he introduced me to Dragon Age.
I trust you learned your lesson about interacting with gays.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't worry guys , here Good news guys. Everyone is Pansexual in Veilguard. Now that's what i called:incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:
https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon...want-will-include-nudity-it-gets-pretty-spicy

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Romance Details Revealed, Including Confirmation That All Companions Will be Pansexual​

"Of course, we are an M-rated game. We do have nudity."​

Alex Stedman Avatar

BY ALEX STEDMAN

POSTED: JUN 11, 2024 12:00 PM

Previously, BioWare general manager Gary McKay told IGN in an interview that Dragon Age: The Veilguard will allow you to "romance the companions you want," sparking speculation that the fourth game in the series would be making a change to the way romances were handled in previous entries.

Now, in a new interview with The Veilguard game director Corinne Busche, we've confirmed that yes, you will be able to romance any companion you want, regardless of your character's gender or race. It's a bit of a surprise for fans, considering that in previous Dragon Age games (excluding Dragon Age II), the romanceable characters had different sexual orientations. Some were pansexual, sure, but others were heterosexual, others were only attracted to the same sex, and some could only be romanced if you were a certain race (Dragon Age: Inquisition's Solas, for example, could only be romanced by female elves).
But Busche pushes back on the idea that The Veilguard's companions are "playersexual," a term used to describe games where NPCs are specifically only attracted to the player character. She says she's seen playersexual "done in a number of games," and "it can be really off-putting where these characters are adapting to who you, the player, are."
"It's not until the later parts of the game where you really commit to romance and it gets pretty spicy.

Rather, Busche insists that they're all specifically pansexual, and that might come through in what you learn about their backstories.
"Their past experiences or partners, they'll reference them and indeed who they'll become romantic with," Busche tells IGN. "For instance, we saw Harding. I might be playing a straight male character flirting with her, but I choose not to pursue a romance. She might get together with Taash. So my perception, my identity has no bearing on their identities and that comes through really strongly."
When asked if that means it won't take long for romance to become an option in The Veilguard, Busche confirms that you'll be able to start flirting with everyone pretty early, as you recruit all seven companions throughout the first act. But, she clarifies, "it's not until the later parts of the game where you really commit to romance and it gets pretty spicy."
Lace Harding, who appeared in Dragon Age: Inquisition, will be one of the romanceable companions in The Veilguard. LACE HARDING, WHO APPEARED IN DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION, WILL BE ONE OF THE ROMANCEABLE COMPANIONS IN THE VEILGUARD.

Speaking of spicy...​

Of course, Dragon Age: The Veilguard is a BioWare game, and games from the studio — specifically those in the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series — are known to have some fairly explicit sex scenes. Busche confirms that The Veilguard will be no different, particularly towards the end of the game: "Of course, we are an M-rated game," she says. "We do have nudity."
There's also some obvious parallels to be made between The Veilguard and last year's critical darling Baldur's Gate 3. The latter became known not only for its deep romances (like The Veilguard, Baldur's Gate 3 player characters can romance any companion regardless of gender or race), but also for its sex scenes, including one involving a Wild-Shaping Druid that went pretty viral.
Busche isn't afraid to admit that she has played Baldur's Gate 3, and loved it, as she's an "an RPG fan through and through": "The more character-driven party-based RPGs with deep emotional connection, the better."
"Just like real life, our companions have such diverse personalities. Some of them are more physical, more aggressive.

"What I love about the two games is I think they live side by side in a really interesting way," she continues. "They're very different games, but those emotional connections and how the narratives hook you, I think there's space for both."
Specifically in regards to the sex scenes and how The Veilguard will handle theirs differently, Busche says some of Baldur's Gate 3's scenes were "shocking and comical in some ways, and I would say I loved that."
"Our companions, we want them to be relatable and fully realized. So they can get spicy, but in a way that I think people will actually relate to," she says.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Screenshots​

dragon-age-d3c1f5a5a18b33bbf955-1536x864-1717959054060.jpg

dragon-age-the-veilguard-official-reveal-trailer-xbox-games-showcase-2024-1-17-screenshot-1717965427124.png

48 IMAGES
dragon-age-the-veilguard-official-reveal-trailer-xbox-games-showcase-2024-0-34-screenshot-1717965427117.png
dragon-age-the-veilguard-official-reveal-trailer-xbox-games-showcase-2024-1-54-screenshot-1717965427126.png
dragon-age-the-veilguard-official-reveal-trailer-xbox-games-showcase-2024-1-46-screenshot-1717965427125.png
dragon-age-the-veilguard-official-reveal-trailer-xbox-games-showcase-2024-1-27-screenshot-1717965427125.png

Basically: no bear sex. Busche goes on to say that how sexually explicit the scenes are, too, will vary between characters.
"Some of them are more spicy than others," she reveals. "Just like real life, our companions have such diverse personalities. Some of them are more physical, more aggressive, and some of them are more... we have a gentleman necromancer, for instance, that is more intimate and sensual."
Our interview with Busche comes as BioWare continues to roll out information about the highly anticipated Dragon Age sequel, with a cinematic trailer having dropped at the Xbox Showcase over the weekend. Dragon Age: The Veilguard will debut sometime this fall.

:abyssgazer:

Man, I remember when RPGs used to advertise how many races and classes they had and getting hyped from that. ... That was a better time.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
The companions.
GPq9Ug-XIAAXi0l
I feel like I've met all these characters before. I've met them in Mass Effect. I've met them in other Dragon Age games. I've met them in Baldur's Gate. And of course, I've seen them in movies and TV for the past two decades. I already know everything they're going to say. I already know everything they're going to do. I already know which ones I'll have to help heal from their dark pasts. I already know which ones are staying in camp and never being spoken to.
Trying to guess at the companions (I skipped through the reveal so might have missed any who already have characterisations). Left to right:
Elf Man With Extreme V Neck Shirt: Will be very annoying, and will no doubt have some trauma backstory that gets resolved after four lines of dialogue. May have suffered from last minute rewrites to make him more like Astarion in the wake of BG3's success, which will mean he's utterly incoherent. May end up being likeable at times if the voice actor gives an absolute A-grade performance, otherwise will just be irritating.

Qunari: This is hard to predict. She (I think that's a she?) will either be the only tolerable character, or a total void that you repeatedly forget is actually in your party. She will have a camp dialogue where she reveals that Qunari culture has a belief in nonbinary gender, and respects it greatly. Your dialogue options will all express your agreement. The writers, low on original ideas and able to think only in terms of existing tropes, may just write her as Worf, in which case she'll be the best companion.

Chirpy Elf Lady With Big Hair: She will be "comic relief" who makes you want to commit suicide whenever she's on-screen. If we're very very unlucky, she'll have a tortured backstory, offering us the true reason behind her joviality- it's a shield to hide her pain. Players will put her in camp ASAP and not take her out.

Old Man With Staff: Will have no character. Is there for people without fathers to enjoy the vicarious thrill of having a virtual father figure.

Goatee Man: I think he's the Alistair/Gale/etc equivalent; a generic "nice" man with a pleasant English accent who'll fall in love with the protag at first sight and be "adorably dorky" (ie annoying). I'm not 100% certain on this read, though; that character design could also be an Evil Guy. But there's got to be one generic "nice" English man, and he looks like the most likely candidate.

Halfling Girl: A dwarf I guess, but looks like a Halfling. She will be an amoral killer (like that blonde Elf in Inquisiton, or Zevran in Origins). She'll also be incredibly sexually aggressive, which the writers will not realise comes across as deeply unpleasant. You will be expected to find her audacious and exciting; instead, she'll be repugnant and annoying.

Indian Lady With Face Covered By Hair: She'll be cold and sarcastic. That will be more or less it, unless she has a manufactured backstory. She will have about three lines over the course of the game which actually get a laugh; these will be the only jokes that land in the entire script, which will win her a large fanbase. She may be the most tolerable character.
I'm fine with sexually aggressive and annoying companions if you can kill them at any time.
Yep, the best moment in BG3 for me was being able to just murdernate Astarion right after he ambushed me. Granted I couldn't stomach playing a LOT of BG3 but that was the best bit. C&C (because hes dead for good), clear villain (vampire ambushed me in cold blood), good stuff.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
what do you mean? bg 3 is ugly npc cutscene simulator and da4 will be ugly npc cutscene simulator. they are literally same picture.
In fairness to Baldur's Gate 3, its gameplay is undoubtedly far better than what will be experienced by anyone unfortunate enough to essay a playthrough of Bioware's latest game. :M

Warrax

Barely Literate
Funny how the Dragon Age franchise finally finishes the decades-long transformation from solid CRPG to generic trendy hack and slash action game just as the actual trend goes full-circle back to where it started originally.

DemonKing

Arcane
Based on the trailer I can understand why the main character is called "Rook" as he seems only able to travel in a straight line.

Companions literally add nothing in combat - their pitiful attacks manage to chink a tiny fraction of the enemy health bars off leaving the player to do all the damage personally with their "hit awesome" button mashes. I guess just pick the two that annoy you the least and take them with you for the "banter"?

I hate NPC romances as a rule, but if they have to be included at least give the NPCs sexual preferences (race, gender etc) like real characters might have. NPCs that will literally screw anyone is just pandering to snowflakes that get upset if their favourite male NPC is only into chicks.

what do you mean? bg 3 is ugly npc cutscene simulator and da4 will be ugly npc cutscene simulator. they are literally same picture.
In fairness to Baldur's Gate 3, its gameplay is undoubtedly far better than what will be experienced by anyone unfortunate enough to essay a playthrough of Bioware's latest game. :M
And that's partly because BG3 has gameplay

Semiurge

Cipher
The Veilguard companions are no less offensive than the ones in BG3. Can someone help me out here with a game of spot the difference?

maxresdefault.jpg

At least 4 of these character archetypes share a close resemblance to the characters in Veilguard. It's got the strong woman with the horns. It's even got the gay wizard with the bleached hair. So why shit on Veilguards characters? Is it because it added an asian woman into the mix? is that what tipped the balance? Or is it because they added pointed ears onto the black guy?

You are all so full of shit. You all have an agenda to crap on this game to save face for Larian, and that's the damn truth. This game is no less woke or made for mass appeal than BG3 was, yet you put that game on a pedestal constantly. You were all going to do this regardless of how Dragon Age turned out because that's what pathetic simps do.

The best part is that there's a grinch race.

Indian Lady With Face Covered By Hair:

Indian? That looks more like a paki.

Lol are they fucking serious with this shit?

View attachment 50871

W9GR83a.png

DA1/DA2 Ogre vs DA4 whateverthefuckthatis/"Ogre"

I think it's supposed to be a pride demon.

When was the elf height retconned? They were distinctly shorter than humans in Origins, now that chink elf is almost the same height as that human assassin to her left. Like a human female.

Only just plucked up the will to force myself through the trailer, and was actually pleasantly surprised with just how bad it is.

They killed it, literally. I don't think they could be fucking this up from any other angle possible, it's a complete shit show on all fronts.

Made even better by the fact that I'm chilling and having a blast on Skald too. Tonight, the world feels right.

The monty python outcome would be that this becomes the best-selling DA game. It might just happen.

Palate cleanser.

All official Dragon Age videos on youtube are now age restricted. I watched the sacred ashes trailer like two years ago.

Some patron could perhaps download them and upload them here directly?

9ted6

Educated
Don't worry guys , here Good news guys. Everyone is Pansexual in Veilguard. Now that's what i called:incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:
https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon...want-will-include-nudity-it-gets-pretty-spicy

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Romance Details Revealed, Including Confirmation That All Companions Will be Pansexual​

Now, in a new interview with The Veilguard game director Corinne Busche, we've confirmed that yes, you will be able to romance any companion you want, regardless of your character's gender or race.
AGP and cooming rotted this dude's brain.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Now, in a new interview with The Veilguard game director Corinne Busche, we've confirmed that yes, you will be able to romance any companion you want, regardless of your character's gender or race.
AGP and cooming rotted this dude's brain.

https://www.ign.com/person/Alex.Stedman

It is a chick actually. "Alex" being a girl's name too. Whether it is a real girl or a chick w/ a dick in this day and age, who knows? It appears outwardly female but on current timeline chance of chick w/ dick is statistically much higher. Thing is, much like this fucking dumpster fire of a game, does it even really matter anymore?

This game should be the final blackpill you old bastards should be bitterly choking down. The world has moved on. Zoomers, Coomers, Trannies, and Diversity rule the day now. (((They))) won. Period. Zoomers and Gen Alpha were born in the Matrix, they know nothing else. Millennials and Xers remember the before times, but are aging out. It is very obvious we are the last of a rare breed even as everyone here rages against the dying of the light.

Schizoid

Barely Literate
I find it interesting that the only elf companions on this game are black and asian. I guess the opressed and enslaved race couldn't be white anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom