Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

These sort of things happen all the time, gaming mags have been paid since the mid 80s at the very least to provide positive revies for subpar shit, and it's a common practice on stuff like music mags and the like as well.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I am not surprised by the fact that they are paid. I just wondered whether the trailer failure activated this propaganda machine to a greater extent than usual.

I'm just interested in the scale of the operation called Dragon Age Veilguard. Not only the amount of money spent, but also human commitment, work organization, but also the dedication of useful idiots. I have the impression that we are facing something gigantic, and at the same time based on psychosis. Because only psychosis can we call an irrational belief in the power of a brand that moves such great human forces. Ours too.

excision

Novice
Good thing we don't need the keep anymore, so i don't have to waste money on this masterpiece.

9ted6

Educated
dragon-age-the-veilguard-screenshot-03-groupb-3840x2160.png
If you never saw or heard about the trailer and hid the watermark I guarantee it'd be impossible to recognize what this game's supposed to be. This generic slop visual design is what they're calling recognisably Dragon Age. You could call this BG4 or NWN3 and it'd work.

Meanwhile if you saw this you'd probably be able to guess it right even if you've never played DA. By supposedly trying to make their artstyle more striking and distinct they've made it increasingly shittier and blander for 15 years straight.
Dragon-Age-Origins-Darkspawn-Ferelden.jpg

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
These sort of things happen all the time, gaming mags have been paid since the mid 80s at the very least to provide positive revies for subpar shit, and it's a common practice on stuff like music mags and the like as well.
It could just be that the shills are defending their paychecks.

If a company paid you $50,000 to say something was great, you'd want that money to keep coming. They wouldn't even have to tell you to defend it.

Semiurge

Cipher
I am not surprised by the fact that they are paid. I just wondered whether the trailer failure activated this propaganda machine to a greater extent than usual.

I'm just interested in the scale of the operation called Dragon Age Veilguard. Not only the amount of money spent, but also human commitment, work organization, but also the dedication of useful idiots. I have the impression that we are facing something gigantic, and at the same time based on psychosis. Because only psychosis can we call an irrational belief in the power of a brand that moves such great human forces. Ours too.

These multimillion dollar DEI brands are too big to fail, and their significance borderlines on the symbolic. Especially to the "fans" committed to their values.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

These multimillion dollar DEI brands are too big to fail, and their significance borderlines on the symbolic. Especially to the "fans" committed to their values.

Don't you think that's what's killing them?

Fanatics seem to be the publisher's guides and controllers of the entire fanbase. But if the fanatics lose touch with what the fanbase wants, people will run away from the brand, but the company will be unaware of this, relying on the fanatics.

If you never saw or heard about the trailer and hid the watermark I guarantee it'd be impossible to recognize what this game's supposed to be. This generic slop visual design is what they're calling recognisably Dragon Age. You could call this BG4 or NWN3 and it'd work.

Meanwhile if you saw this you'd probably be able to guess it right even if you've never played DA. By supposedly trying to make their artstyle more striking and distinct they've made it increasingly shittier and blander for 15 years straight.
Your example just looks like any 00s brown game, so it's not like it's meant to be a compliment or anything.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Rags have been bought and paid for. We've known this for years, as much as we still like to point out the more obvious cases. What's new are bots and increased control of social media (reddit, tumblr, twitter, etc). Why do you think YouTube hide the dislike count? It's not for our benefit.

It's been a while since I've checked reddit, I wonder what enforced positivity cope they have now?

1718324550115.png

They really are just asking people to love slop for what it is. They're no longer even pretending otherwise. It's sad watching the few negative posts that slip past (controlled opposition) get completely nuked by dislikes.

Redditors finally realizing the sub is completely censored:

1718324601595.png

Meanwhile, steam forums have been on fire since the first trailer.

1718324914444.png

Never trust a journo. Never trust EA.

9ted6

Educated

Has this already been posted? Good enough discussion for a youtuber.

I don't get this whipped attitude some DAO fans have to the newer games, including this guy apparently.

"Dragon Age after Origins is shit... but I like the world and want to see how the story and the lore develop!"
"Dragon Age is bad now... but we just have to accept Bioware's taking a different direction!"

Fucking what story and lore? Lore about gay orgies in Orlais and how the elves are the master race? Everything related to Dragon Age from the books to the sequels to the webcomics to whatever after Awakening, and to an extent Awakening itself, has done nothing but piss and shit on absolutely any and everything that was interesting about Origins.

Nobody has or should be expected to have to accept that and I can't see how anyone who exclusively likes Origins could be at all interested in what Bioware's going to do next besides schadenfreude to see how much lower they as a studio can go.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Has this already been posted? Good enough discussion for a youtuber.

Damn, haven't heard that voice for awhile.

*edit* he's making the same mistake as GoT fans: thinking there's a plan. Epic fantasy is a bad sub-genre. It's always teasing the next big setup, the next big reveal, and never pays off. No one can do it. There's never any real continuity except between when the game starts and when it ends (and even then...!) Take what you want out of a game and move on. Never expect more, because you'll make yourself a sucker.

Shitposter

Damn. This is just stupid.

If somebody who hasn't seen DAO and never played DA, they'd never recognize both.

Because neither games are part of collective Zeitgeist. It's not "Pop".

Meanwhile, steam forums have been on fire since the first trailer.

1718324914444.png

Never trust a journo. Never trust EA.
This is how early access Baldur's Gate 3 forum looked like.

The game will defend itself.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
he's making the same mistake as GoT fans: thinking there's a plan. Epic fantasy is a bad sub-genre. It's always teasing the next big setup, the next big reveal, and never pays off. No one can do it.

Dragon Age is a one and done series. DA:O covered everything about the darkspawn emergence and killed the archdemon. The story was over. The whole mages vs templars, and then the Corypheus stuff is like c-tier side story material, at best. Dragon Age was about darkspawn and slumbering dragon gods.

I can't see how anyone who exclusively likes Origins could be at all interested in what Bioware's going to do next besides schadenfreude to see how much lower they as a studio can go.
There's a very large audience that wants BioWare from its heyday.

Love it or hate it, BioWare did occupy a very unique niche in the RPG space. It was the premier narrative-driven RPG studio, and as someone who aspires to pick up the torch where they dropped it, their games influenced me a fair bit.

As much as I may shit on them now, it's a bittersweet thing. There was also a small part of me that wished they could bring back the old magic, especially when it comes to my guilty pleasure, Mass Effect.

But it ain't gonna happen. Thinking otherwise is delusional at this point.

1718334917716.png

edit: since I've been told that somebody at BioWare may or may not be following this thread, here's a helpful tip. That 240k dislikes on your trailer? Don't ignore that. That's your audience signaling their displeasure. I don't know what you can do in the remaining time you have, but take that into account.

People aren't happy.

It was C-tier, Corypheus was a villain from a DA2 dlc, you actually have to kill him and in fact he's kind of a goofy guy with a cartoony german accent. They changed him a lot for DAI.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria

There are some signs that we are past peak DEI/ESG though. BlackRock seems to move away from it since “forcing behaviour” as their plan was doesn’t actually seem to work, despite them trying for more than 10 years now. You can only finance so many multi billion dollar failures and the number of entertainment franchises (games, movies, series, etc) still untouched and ready to be infected and destroyed is dwindling. It’s just not a very good money making scheme, which is BlackRocks core business. So those DEI funds companies rely on may dry up soon (ish), which will force companies to make products for regular customers instead of their DEI overlords. Of course this could be just wishful thinking.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Epic fantasy is a bad sub-genre. It's always teasing the next big setup, the next big reveal, and never pays off. No one can do it. There's never any real continuity except between when the game starts and when it ends (and even then...!) Take what you want out of a game and move on. Never expect more, because you'll make yourself a sucker.

Strong disagree here. It is hard, for sure and most people can NOT do it. There are notable exceptions and you see them here among the most favorite games in the genre that 'Dexers acknowledge. Baldur's Gate 2 nicely book ended what started in BG1 and definitely gave the epic fantasy pay-off. I think the bigger issue is so many attempt it and fail so the genre appears to become 'no one can do it' whereas if people just stayed in their lane and took some lesser swings they could turn out some really good stories / games on a smaller scale.

(Editor's Note: BG3 whether you love it or hate it, really has little to do with the first 2 games other than some goofy tie-ins.)

Shitposter
BlackRock
Nah, BlackRock will fund Larian with 69 gorillion dallars to make Maldur's Nate 4 and force everyone to be Homosexualismus. No more ganders. All gays.

Malsur's Hat 4 will now force you to pick troon class (in order to bow under DEI, SDG, CDJO, 3CPO and R2D2 regulations from the World Government). And after that, you can only specialize to Pala-Deen (Muslimus) class, and can only pick Allah as deity.

het westen is gevallen. We habben en seerius probleem.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
One thing makes me wonder - when the gameplay came out, all the websites I know, including the French ones, praised everything they saw in one word.

The question is - did EA pay them all earlier, or after the DAV trailer disaster did they go crazy and pay journalists from every portal they knew?

Journos are scum with no morals, and all should be shot and hanged in public so honest people could cheer.
And not only game journos. Mebbe like 5% are worth saving, and I might be too generous here.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Haha, I can see it now. They've made the Qunari into (5th edition) Tieflings :lol:

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Just watched a few minutes of the trailer. Why is the main character leading with his left arm dagger and not fighting like an actual swordsman? Surely he should have his longer weapon out front to increase his reach and hold the dagger back to parry/engage when someone gets past the sword?
Congrats, you've put more thought into it than the animators.

Also, look at this. The bow. The positioning of the arrow. All of it.

View attachment 50973

Nobody cares.
Bioware doesn't want to break their tradition at this point.

Sera-DAI-1416359039058.jpg

Oberon

Learned

There are some signs that we are past peak DEI/ESG though. BlackRock seems to move away from it since “forcing behaviour” as their plan was doesn’t actually seem to work, despite them trying for more than 10 years now. You can only finance so many multi billion dollar failures and the number of entertainment franchises (games, movies, series, etc) still untouched and ready to be infected and destroyed is dwindling. It’s just not a very good money making scheme, which is BlackRocks core business. So those DEI funds companies rely on may dry up soon (ish), which will force companies to make products for regular customers instead of their DEI overlords. Of course this could be just wishful thinking.
e9c5f6cb4dff32924a8f2f32dedad751-imagejpeg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom