Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I am not surprised by the fact that they are paid. I just wondered whether the trailer failure activated this propaganda machine to a greater extent than usual.

I'm just interested in the scale of the operation called Dragon Age Veilguard. Not only the amount of money spent, but also human commitment, work organization, but also the dedication of useful idiots. I have the impression that we are facing something gigantic, and at the same time based on psychosis. Because only psychosis can we call an irrational belief in the power of a brand that moves such great human forces. Ours too.

These multimillion dollar DEI brands are too big to fail, and their significance borderlines on the symbolic. Especially to the "fans" committed to their values.

There are some signs that we are past peak DEI/ESG though. BlackRock seems to move away from it since “forcing behaviour” as their plan was doesn’t actually seem to work, despite them trying for more than 10 years now. You can only finance so many multi billion dollar failures and the number of entertainment franchises (games, movies, series, etc) still untouched and ready to be infected and destroyed is dwindling. It’s just not a very good money making scheme, which is BlackRocks core business. So those DEI funds companies rely on may dry up soon (ish), which will force companies to make products for regular customers instead of their DEI overlords. Of course this could be just wishful thinking.
e9c5f6cb4dff32924a8f2f32dedad751-imagejpeg.jpg
There's something quite pathetic about citing "large bodies of research," to justify your hiring of talentless brown people as opposed to sales figures or audience reception.

Wasteland

Educated
There's something quite pathetic about citing "large bodies of research," to justify your hiring of talentless brown people as opposed to sales figures or audience reception.

"Diverse businesses outperform homogenous ones" is yet another well known case of reversed causality.
  • Bigger companies are forced to be diverse, and the biggest ones care most about virtue signaling their commitment to diversity. (The biggest companies also benefit from regulatory capture and imposing barriers to entry on their competitors. A lot of the virtue signaling is sincere fart sniffing on the part of the extremely rich executive class, but a lot of it is extremely cynical.)
  • Bigger companies make more money than smaller ones. QED, chuds.
At no point has anyone ever attempted to demonstrate that black lesbians can actually build productive businesses, and that's despite a mountain of incentives and advantages bestowed upon such enterprises. What such groups can do is build non-profit/NGO/"consultancy" businesses that are premised on whining about the lack of diversity in various industries, and that can be a gold mine, but even there I think we're starting to run up against limits. The end of ZIRP has already brought a lot of pain to a lot of parasites; the layoffs we see in gaming are largely due to that seismic shift in the availability of cheap money, for example--though at this point half or more of the entire West's economy seems tied up in parasitism of one sort or another; we won't be free of them any time soon.

Edited to add obligatory meme:

changing-face-of-tech-industry.jpg

Last edited:

Lodis

Educated
Gaider says a character is destroyed by being romanceable. You heard it here first.
I read his tweet, he’s basically saying that making everyone a faggot limits character agency. Dorian’s daddy issues wouldn’t exist if he liked pussy, similarly Morrigan’s entire arc with the Warden wouldn’t be as impactful if she was into slamming clams. He also straight up called Dragon Age 2’s companions sex dolls that only exist so the player can kiss them.

Funny how he’s now pissing off the same group he spent so many years catering to. Wonder if he’s self aware enough to realize the irony.

TheKing01

Novice
Player-sexual is the assured norm (which conversely has the effect of making every romanceable character potentially pansexual) going forward.

No viable reason to think that will ever change.

Lodis

Educated
Player-sexual is the assured norm (which conversely has the effect of making every romanceable character potentially pansexual) going forward.

Owlcat seems to stick to their guns in this respect. But unfortunately you’re right, any major rpg with romance will go the playersexual route because they don’t want to risk angering the rainbow brigade.

Semiurge

Cipher
I am not surprised by the fact that they are paid. I just wondered whether the trailer failure activated this propaganda machine to a greater extent than usual.

I'm just interested in the scale of the operation called Dragon Age Veilguard. Not only the amount of money spent, but also human commitment, work organization, but also the dedication of useful idiots. I have the impression that we are facing something gigantic, and at the same time based on psychosis. Because only psychosis can we call an irrational belief in the power of a brand that moves such great human forces. Ours too.

These multimillion dollar DEI brands are too big to fail, and their significance borderlines on the symbolic. Especially to the "fans" committed to their values.

Don't you think that's what's killing them?

Fanatics seem to be the publisher's guides and controllers of the entire fanbase. But if the fanatics lose touch with what the fanbase wants, people will run away from the brand, but the company will be unaware of this, relying on the fanatics.

I'm sure they're not unaware. And they're definitely aware that the majority doesn't care about these politics enough to boycot a game if they can pass the time with it.

Rags have been bought and paid for. We've known this for years, as much as we still like to point out the more obvious cases. What's new are bots and increased control of social media (reddit, tumblr, twitter, etc). Why do you think YouTube hide the dislike count? It's not for our benefit.

It's been a while since I've checked reddit, I wonder what enforced positivity cope they have now?

View attachment 50989

They really are just asking people to love slop for what it is. They're no longer even pretending otherwise. It's sad watching the few negative posts that slip past (controlled opposition) get completely nuked by dislikes.

Redditors finally realizing the sub is completely censored:

View attachment 50990

Meanwhile, steam forums have been on fire since the first trailer.

View attachment 50992

Never trust a journo. Never trust EA.

Why does Valve allow this? Of all the big gaming platforms they seem like a big outlier in this regard.

Gaider says a character is destroyed by being romanceable. You heard it here first.

Excuses of bad, timid writers. Why the fuck does he base his bad argument on a claim that every companion has to be appealing (to the modern moralist sensibilities)? Another excuse of bad writing. Origins had Morrigan - a politically incorrect evil bitch, still romanceable. Mass Effect had Ashley - a bigot race realist. Romanceable. Even Varric the dashing dwarf rogue wouldn't need to sacrifice any of his "Varricness", imagine that he said to the player that he wasn't looking for anything serious, or that out of the blue he just dumps the PC because the PC "cramps his style" or something.

I realise that including such characters in today's games as companions would cause a shitstorm, regardless of whether they're romanceable. Goes with the territory of leftist rigidity, they only want to surround themselves with themselves and masturbate ad nauseum. This is why game devs fear writing "edgy" characters that pose troubling questions and challenge the player intellectually, or morally. All has turned into pandering.

Owlcat seems to stick to their guns in this respect. But unfortunately you’re right, any major rpg with romance will go the playersexual route because they don’t want to risk angering the rainbow brigade.

It's also got to do with providing the attention-deficit player the perfect first playthrough. Never mind creating characters that have their own desires.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Why does Valve allow this? Of all the big gaming platforms they seem like a big outlier in this regard.
Steam forums has most of same moderation tools as other forums. The difference is that developers actually have to pay a person to delete all these individual threads on Steam forums, instead of having a bot or "unpaid" janny do it.

They can't keep up lol.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
Steam forums has the most of same moderation tools as other forums. The difference is that developers actually have to pay a person to delete all these individual threads on Steam forums, instead of having a bot or "unpaid" janny do it.

They can't keep up lol.

I just assumed that Valve would have some general rules of conduct in place that prohibited any "flame-baiting" or edginess, because of the financial strings attached. And because such horsing about typically leads to more of it. By first glance you wouldn't guess that you're looking at Steam forums, instead some independent forum like the Codex.

The idea of developers being able to tell jannies to delete threads arbitrarily is repugnant. Steam, as the largest gaming distribution platform, wouldn't have to comply with that at all.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Steam forums has the most of same moderation tools as other forums. The difference is that developers actually have to pay a person to delete all these individual threads on Steam forums, instead of having a bot or "unpaid" janny do it.

They can't keep up lol.

I just assumed that Valve would have some general rules of conduct in place that prohibited any "flame-baiting" or edginess, because of the financial strings attached. And because such horsing about typically leads to more of it.
IIRC Steam is very hands off with forum moderation, it takes extreme cases for a steam admin to step in.

For the most part, the forums are the fiefdoms of their individual developers. They can lock/delete threads and ban users at their leisure. A lot of developers abuse this function heavily to censor any negativity or criticism. But you still need a real person there to do that.

To their credit, it doesn't seem like the Veilguard steam forums are being heavily moderated or censored. Maybe they forgot about it.

Lodis

Educated
>jade king
Oh it’s that tranny with some of the shittiest takes I’ve ever read in my life. Naturally BioWare would hire him to shill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom