Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

BruceVC

Magister
I will never forget playing origins at 800x600 at 15 fps on a 7100 GS, combat was fun but the brown filter in the game turned me off (to be fair everything at the time had a similar filter). Never played 2 because heard from a lot of people that the game transcurred in the same city for the whole story and couldn't think of a worse thing to do with a RPG. My GF at the time had a PS4 and played inquisition with her until i saw they changed completely the lore of the NotMuslims making then seem ultra liberal having no sexes and Bull even having a tranny in his mercenary company.

Great post, what a DA1 experience

Yes DA2 had some clear design shortcuts but you prepare yourself for this and it has real gaming entertainment. For example the narrative is compelling with the Magi and the game is different because the story is about periods of years so you progress on a real journey so the city evolves and not its boring like you may be concerned about

But the typical design issue is repeating this minor dungeon\room quests, thats the main one I can recall?

And then I do feel that sometimes the criticism of Romance in Bioware games is exaggerated, and Im saying this is what you doing, and it shouldn't be a reason you dont play their games because I always Romance in all RPG and the Romance arcs in Bioware games are optional and its easy to immediately shut down any unwanted attention. I didnt have Bull in my party but my first design priority is always the skills of the person and then I always consider Romance arcs so the likes of Isabella and Viconia are a must . In DA2 I had the gay wizard in my party and only once did he flirt with me and it was easy to end the possible relationship. He never flirted with me ever again, it wasnt an issue all. So it would be interesting if you play DA2 and let us know what you think

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I literally didn't say that, thank you for informing the site you are JamesDixon-level stupid

Literally just one fucking page back ->

Ya'll realize game development is a soul-crushing hellscape right?
So are most jobs.

I'm so fucking tired of reading "GAMEDEV IS THE WORST JOB EVER I HAVE TO SIT IN A CHAIR AT A DESK FOR LONG HOURS..."
yea go work in a fucking coal mine 14 hours a day

...Sitting in a chair for 14 hours a day getting carpal tunnel, fucking up your eyes, getting no exercise, et al, is also really bad for you...

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

As in, not the same or worse. You actual moron. It is also bad for you. At no point did I say "Actually Game dev is objectively harder to do than mining." Both jobs have their problems, dangers, etc. Thank you for showing the thread you literally cannot fucking read. Rusty's original post made the retarded claim that coal mining was harder, so I added a few and him and you decided that meant that I thought that it was literally easier to mine coal than it was to write code. They use different skill sets, but over-working can fuck you up, and in the video game industry, you work overlong hours and have no protections. You miss birthdays, work over holidays, slave away at your desk. This means less time being active etc, which is also bad for you in different ways than being a fucking coal miner is. Both can lead you into an early grave you fucking clod, you'd know this if you didn't live in mommy's basement. (which btw is also going to kill you early)

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
They've been "rebuilding" their reputation and "building back trust" for a decade now.

I remember how they rebuilt my trust in them when they dropped any DLC from MEA like a hot potato and scurried away from supporting that game because some nerdrage online.

They moved to Edmonton dowtown, I think they have bigger authonomy now and I believe this is a start for new Bioware.

They still have the Weekes moron leading the new DA, he's the standarbearer for the old and degenerate Bioware.

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

As in, not the same or worse. You actual moron. It is also bad for you. At no point did I say "Actually Game dev is objectively harder to do than mining." Both jobs have their problems, dangers, etc. Thank you for showing the thread you literally cannot fucking read. Rusty's original post made the retarded claim that coal mining was harder, so I added a few and him and you decided that meant that I thought that it was literally easier to mine coal than it was to write code. They use different skill sets, but over-working can fuck you up, and in the video game industry, you work overlong hours and have no protections. You miss birthdays, work over holidays, slave away at your desk. This means less time being active etc, which is also bad for you in different ways than being a fucking coal miner is. Both can lead you into an early grave you fucking clod, you'd know this if you didn't live in mommy's basement. (which btw is also going to kill you early)

Jesus Christ almighty, you actual pre-post-op tranny re-transitioning retard, don't be so fucking over the top with the hyperbole and melodrama. Goddamn loopy cunt. Fuck all the whiny devs and their apologists, in particular you can go fuck yourself with Gaider's unicorn dildo. But bitch and moan more, as a consummate retard and autist you seem to have a knack for it.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

"IS ALSO"

Jesus Christ almighty, you actual pre-post-op tranny re-transitioning retard, don't be so fucking over the top with the hyperbole and melodrama. Goddamn loopy cunt. Fuck all the whiny devs and their apologists, in particular you can go fuck yourself with Gaider's unicorn dildo. But bitch and moan more, as a consummate retard and autist you seem to have a knack for it.

glad to know your complete and utter inability to defend any of your claims was true.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey how do you and others feel about the release of DA4, will you play it? I still enjoy and support Bioware, but I can acknowledge how their games have changed since the heyday of BG2: ToB, my favorite RPG of all time.
I always enjoy ME games and DA4 is something that wont be a " day 1 purchase " for me but I will wait for feedback from the gaming community that will motivate my investment but I cant see myself not buying it ?

Won't be able to answer that until it's out and even that's iffy.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you lower you standard enough to the point where you are actually capable of even uttering the words 'I like DA2', you shouldn't really worry if DA4 will be something you'll like or not.

Falksi

Arcane
I've seen absolutely nothing about DA4 that looks interesting. The series is essentially completely unrelated to DAO, it has become a romance simulator for obese single women.

You're very likely right. But I do like the Dec 2020 trailer. Varric's the main reason, he's just got an incredibly interesting persona. Solas has too.

Like the Matrix 4, there's potential there. They'll just completely fuck it up as per usual like they did with that.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Ok, so the Golden City is now, apparently, the vanished elven city, that got physically sent into the Fade to trap the Evanuris inside of it... also it got corrupted on its own over time, by the time the magisters (Corypheus, etc) arrived in it, because some of the Evanuris caught cosmic AIDS in their experiments/travels/whatever. Also, the dragon gods are probably the anti-Evanuris who got trapped underground, and manipulated the magisters into going to the Golden/Dark city to try and free themselves.

Except, that makes no sense given established lore.

1. The fade city was universally known as the Golden City until the magisters invaded it. The magisters thought they were going to meet the gods and ascend to godhood themselves, and spent enormous resources and took tremendous risks to try and get there. Why would they do that, if the Golden City looked like a dark and gloomy place? The City is visible from everywhere inside the Fade, and in every game it looks like an obviously evil place. If it looked that way before the magisters invaded, why would anyone call it the Golden City, or think the gods are living there, or want to go there?

2. The dragon gods accomplished nothing by sending the magisters into the Whatever City. They only get freed from their imprisonment underground by being corrupted into monsters, and then get killed off one by one in ever-shorter campaigns of darkspawn against the surface world. Was that their grand plan all along?

3. All this pretty much retcons the Maker out of existence, which I'm sure is fine with everyone at Bioware, except they already said that the Maker's existence or non-existence is going to always remain a "maybe". It's a pretty solid "no", if literally everything the Chantry teaches is false and has nothing to do with the Maker. In fact, it's starting to increasingly look like the Maker is just a distorted memory of the king of the Evanuris, and probably Andraste was possessed by the spirit of the Evanuris queen or whatever. The elves are literally behind everything! Such creativity!

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The elves are also the niggers of that setting, so the Bioware message is: worship the niggers, they was kangz and shit.
In all fairness, elves are not black people, at least in the first two games. They're more analogous to Irish people or Jewish people.

Codex Year of the Donut
My favorite part of DA is how the Qunari were clearly meant to be fantasy muslims in DAO written from a western early 00s viewpoint then they completely rewrote all the lore and nobody even calls them out on it.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The elves are also the niggers of that setting, so the Bioware message is: worship the niggers, they was kangz and shit.
In all fairness, elves are not black people, at least in the first two games. They're more analogous to Irish people or Jewish people.

I always thought the dwarves were the Jewish people in Gaider's world.

We're probably putting more thought into it than Gaider ever did, tbh.

My favorite part of DA is how the Qunari were clearly meant to be fantasy muslims in DAO written from a western early 00s viewpoint then they completely rewrote all the lore and nobody even calls them out on it.

Anyone who called them out for it on their Bioware forums was quickly banned forever.

Social media didn't exist, and even if it did, people would just have been banned there as well.

Though I don't remember them becoming fantasy muslims until DA2. Were they in DAO?

They were analogous to muslims in DAO, but on the nose mohammedans in DA2 — but it is late and I'm tired and have forgotten half the lore already.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The elves are literally behind everything!

The elves are also the niggers of that setting
More like (((***s))).

I constantly call biowhore out on their unhealthy infatuation with the militant atheist medieval borg.

Codex Year of the Donut
The only straight-only romance for males in DAI is a lesbian-looking woman that acts like a man and was purposely designed to act like one.

Compare and contrast to Leliana and Morrigan.
Thank you anon! You are a good anon! Cassandra wife was cute wife anon but she was not marriage wife anon because Canadian California nonsense did only marriage anon for not heterosexual human male wife scholar player anons anon! It is true anon! It is! Cassandra wife is not marriage wife anon and Josephine wife is not marriage wife anon but porcine elf Sera nonsense was marriage anon for lesbian anons anon and templar brainlet Cullen nonsense was marriage anon for obese women anons anon! It is true anon! It is! It is nonsense anon! It is!

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Ok, so the Golden City is now, apparently, the vanished elven city, that got physically sent into the Fade to trap the Evanuris inside of it... also it got corrupted on its own over time, by the time the magisters (Corypheus, etc) arrived in it, because some of the Evanuris caught cosmic AIDS in their experiments/travels/whatever. Also, the dragon gods are probably the anti-Evanuris who got trapped underground, and manipulated the magisters into going to the Golden/Dark city to try and free themselves.

Except, that makes no sense given established lore.

1. The fade city was universally known as the Golden City until the magisters invaded it. The magisters thought they were going to meet the gods and ascend to godhood themselves, and spent enormous resources and took tremendous risks to try and get there. Why would they do that, if the Golden City looked like a dark and gloomy place? The City is visible from everywhere inside the Fade, and in every game it looks like an obviously evil place. If it looked that way before the magisters invaded, why would anyone call it the Golden City, or think the gods are living there, or want to go there?

2. The dragon gods accomplished nothing by sending the magisters into the Whatever City. They only get freed from their imprisonment underground by being corrupted into monsters, and then get killed off one by one in ever-shorter campaigns of darkspawn against the surface world. Was that their grand plan all along?

3. All this pretty much retcons the Maker out of existence, which I'm sure is fine with everyone at Bioware, except they already said that the Maker's existence or non-existence is going to always remain a "maybe". It's a pretty solid "no", if literally everything the Chantry teaches is false and has nothing to do with the Maker. In fact, it's starting to increasingly look like the Maker is just a distorted memory of the king of the Evanuris, and probably Andraste was possessed by the spirit of the Evanuris queen or whatever. The elves are literally behind everything! Such creativity!

1. Evilification of the Golden City seems to have happened after. The lore(church history) stated that Magisters went to the golden city, it was awesome, turned evil, and the Maker turned them into Darkspawn. Corypheus states that they arrived at the Golden City and it was already empty and full of Darkspawn. Darkspawn(and this isnt really covered in the games too well) have this corrupting effect on everything they touch, its like an aura that radiates, so I assume the Golden City looked more and more like Barad-Dur the longer the Darkspawn were around.

2. The Dragon Gods may or may not be the Evanuris. Solas freaks the fuck out when he hears of the plan to invade the Deep Roads en masse and kill all the Gods before they become arch demons. If they were just random, er, unrelated gods, why would would he react like that?

3. Yes. The constant masturbation of Elf lore when the Dwarves are right fucking there is deeply tiresome, especially since Dwarves are like weird bacteria people that lived inside the Titans when they roamed around as confirmed by one of the DLCs - back in the day, they literally returned to the stone when they died, which is pretty interesting, but it'll probably be shunted aside for more elfwanking

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

When Hawke meets Corypheus in the DA2 DLC he confirms that the "golden city" was an illusion, and it was black when they reached it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom