Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Vyvian

Educated
The hair obsession is still ongoing when I thought it would last a day at most.
Have these people never heard of TressFX? It's not a new technology.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
YT just recommended me this. He really hates the look and gameplay.

At 22:07 you can see both male and female walking/running animation. It looks horrible, its how I imagine a angry comic book superhero villain walks. The animations in general looks very choppy, 20 year old RPGs have better animations.

The Bishop

Cipher
I find the dialogue right before the 22:07 mark a lot more jarring than any animation:

- It was pleasure and necessity to help against A and B.
- Whatever comes we're ready for a fight.
- Words easily said, but rarely proven.
- What do you know about all this that we don't?

This is a talk of two schizophrenics. Replies don't address the statement they supposed to answer. And it doesn't go anywhere. Why are they even talking? Because the guy who laid out the cutscene marked this moment to have a dialogue, then some writer was tasked to fill it with something, and this is the best he managed?

Elttharion

Learned

At 22:07 you can see both male and female walking/running animation. It looks horrible, its how I imagine a angry comic book superhero villain walks. The animations in general looks very choppy, 20 year old RPGs have better animations.

Why are both of them wearing g strings?

Sabotin

Scholar
I feel like either the devs or the marketing department spend too much time on the internet.

"We need impactful trailers, let's make stuff flashy and epic. Everyone on reddit is talking about romances and companions, that means that's the main draw, let's focus on those. The videos about small interactions and 11 things you missed during your playthrough are super popular on youtube, make sure there are things like that in the game. Everyone on twitch is happy when the streamer pets the little animal, we obviously must oblige!"

Or they just analysed all this from BG3.

Now this could just be the journos fault, presenting the game like that buy y'know...

Wish I could hope for something more positive from the story, but from previous experience I can't be anything but skeptical. Bioware seems to go with making an interesting/mysterious/compelling setup for the first game, go off-track with barely connected second one and then quick wrap up with removing all the mystery and turning everything banal and boring in 3rd part. BG2 was strong enough to stand on its own after the simple first game, but ME and DA just feel like they only scavange from franchise what they can and don't build on it.

The yet again visual redesign ain't helping either. Now it's even more like 80s tv shows with a simple plastic prosthetic slapped on the actor to make an alien. Why'd they scrap DA2 looks just cause it was unpopular. Elves loked hideous in general, but the companions were good looking, that's an issue of effort spent on it not base idea. Qunari it's the same thing, that 1 face that all of them had was great, now make a few more ffs. I'm not an artist, is it that much more difficult to make good looking fantasy race faces while still appealing to human beauty standards?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I wonder if Veilguard 'll shake EA in same way as Concord's Sony.
They have vastly different target audiences. Biodrones are completely fine with Veilguard.

I think that world has change from 2017, when Biodrones saved Andromeda. Tumbrl is not cool anymore, and schizoposting on Reddit is obvious even for normies.

babayaga

Educated
I find the dialogue right before the 22:07 mark a lot more jarring than any animation:

- It was pleasure and necessity to help against A and B.
- Whatever comes we're ready for a fight.
- Words easily said, but rarely proven.
- What do you know about all this that we don't?

This is a talk of two schizophrenics. Replies don't address the statement they supposed to answer. And it doesn't go anywhere. Why are they even talking? Because the guy who laid out the cutscene marked this moment to have a dialogue, then some writer was tasked to fill it with something, and this is the best he managed?
Sounds like a dialogue written by talentless hack that has 0 life experiences, doesn't know how to socialize and can't imagine how basic conversations between normal people work.

The Jester

Cipher
Dragon Age: The Veilguard --> Dragon Age: TV --> Dragon Age: Transvestite

01hzz3fgbk4t5z13p676.jpg
DO NOT REDEEM THE BLOOD MAGIC SAAAAAR!

Child of Malkav

Erudite
What a joke. You finally get to explore/play in Tevinter (the capital of blood magic, the center, the heart of the practice) and as a mage you can't play as one because.....it's too evil or some shit. Surreal.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I'll never understand why Bioware ditched the one thing that made DAO stand out - the backgrounds.
Devs really, really hate replayability. They'd rather you see all the content they've made in one long playthrough, because most people will not even complete the game, nevermind play it twice.

To be fair that is what I do with most RPGs because there usually isn't that much reactivity in the first place and RPGs are long.

Silvanus

Novice
"CHUDS could be here" he thought. "I've never been in this neighborhood before. There could be CHUDS anywhere." The cool wind felt good against his bare chest. "I HATE CHUDS" he thought. This Is The New Shit reverberated his entire car, making it pulsate even as the $9 soylent circulated through his veins and washed away his (merited) fear of gamers after dark. "With a car, you can go anywhere you want" he said to himself, out loud.
For me, it's how PunchYouInTheFace intersperses it with a tryhard edgelord act as if his opinions aren't all indistinguishable from the median redditor.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Having little side bits like petting animals isn't inherently bad, it's just offputting that there's such an emphasis on stuff like that and character creation (appearance, not build) at the stage where they really should be selling the fundamentals of the game.

Things like cute pets and hair physics should be like sprinkles on the top of a cake, nice as a little flourish on a solid foundation but suspicious if a bakery is trying to put more emphasis on them than the cake itself when selling it to you.

Vatnik Wumao
How in the world did Tevinter become a cyberpunk city? I honestly thought this game took place generations after the first trilogy when I saw the trailer.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://tech4gamers.com/dragon-age-the-veilguard-steam-sales/
Dragon Age: The Veilguard hasn’t even managed to break into the top 100 best-sellers on Steam so far. Bioware’s upcoming release is also number 42 on the most wish-listed games, pointing out that not many players are excited about it.
dragon-age-steam.jpg

Why it matters: Given the game’s great reception, most would assume that its pre-order figures on Steam would be quite high with just a month until launch.
Unless you’re only reading r/DragonAge, the reception is anything but “great.”

Suicide Squad
Flintlock
Dustborn
Concord
SW: Outlaws
Dragon Age: Veilguard <-- NEXT
AC: Shadows <-- NEXT

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Well, he's a good spokesperson for the community.

"Looks worse than Raid Shadow Legends."
"Concord had better looking characters."
He had a few good lines.

This comment is pretty damning, 1.3k upvotes:

@t3tsuyaguy1

2 days ago
This game was developed as a live service game, until Anthem failed, and then they removed the multiplayer and bulked out the single player elements. So, instead of building a single player Dragon Age Game from scratch, they've converted what was probably a crap multiplayer game into a single player game. You can see it everywhere. I guarantee that's why we can't select our companions, because your companions were supposed to be other players.

Dead on arrival.

Shitposter
https://tech4gamers.com/dragon-age-the-veilguard-steam-sales/
Dragon Age: The Veilguard hasn’t even managed to break into the top 100 best-sellers on Steam so far. Bioware’s upcoming release is also number 42 on the most wish-listed games, pointing out that not many players are excited about it.
dragon-age-steam.jpg

Why it matters: Given the game’s great reception, most would assume that its pre-order figures on Steam would be quite high with just a month until launch.
Unless you’re only reading r/DragonAge, the reception is anything but “great.”

Suicide Squad
Flintlock
Dustborn
Concord
SW: Outlaws
Dragon Age: Veilguard <-- NEXT
AC: Shadows <-- NEXT
I think it's a lot to do with their marketing mistakes, the first trailer where a lot of people probably informed on its imminent release is flopped, even among its supporter it's mixed.

Plus a decade of squandered reputation. It's closer to niche than a triple A production, judging by it's reputation - they need to pull half of Baldur's Gate 3 if they want the franchise sustained.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom