Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age: The Veilguard Official Gameplay Reveal

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age: The Veilguard

https://www.ea.com/games/dragon-age/dragon-age-the-veilguard/news/introducing-the-veilguard

This video from the first moments of the game is just the tip of the iceberg, and there’s so much more to discover on this epic journey. You’ll explore Thedas, uniting a cast of (yes, romanceable!) companions as you fight against ancient elven gods. In this crafted character-driven RPG, you’ll visit meticulously crafted biomes and beautiful regions, some that you’ve only heard whispers about in Dragon Age lore, including Rivain, Weisshaupt, Arlathan, Minrathous, and the Deep Roads - to name a few. We’ll have a lot more coming this summer as we fully detail what’s in store.

You’ll begin by diving into the Character Creator. You’ll choose your class, lineage, gender, overall appearance and more. Choosing which faction Rook is part of will unlock different narrative, dialogue, and gameplay interactions.

Combat is another area that has a lot of depth to it - both in how you choose to defeat your enemies and its progression throughout the game. The game will support various skill levels, but at its core, Dragon Age: The Veilguard has fluid moment-to-moment combat where you can choose between three classes - Warrior, Mage, or Rogue – each having their own advanced specializations. There's also a layer of tactical depth for those who want to dig in, which we really didn't get to cover in the video.

Our new customizable ability wheel will help you turn the tide of battle at any time. It will allow you to pause the action, issue commands to your followers, use abilities, and unleash devastating combos. As you become more powerful, you can start to see the potential in how much fun (and hectic) things can get.

We're also giving the option to use some of your abilities via a shortcut. Giving you these different kinds of options is something we thought a lot about and wanted to provide so you can find the playstyle that best fits you.

Alright, that’s it for now as we’ll dive deeper into this and all things Dragon Age: The Veilguard through the Fall.​

Sentinel

Arcane
On the plus side, "party member becomes villain in the sequel" is cool, but you just know they'll pussy out and reveal the true villain halfway through. Solas was a good boy who dindu nuffin. BioWare seems to have gotten good modellers & animators after nearly 30 years of being in business.

On the negative side, everything else. As soon as the camera turned around and I saw the melanin enriched individual MC I had to metaphorically roll my eyes (making him a thief was kind of racist though). What was shown after confirmed my suspicion. Music, combat, gameplay, it's all generic trite pulled from the most popular games out nowadays. Pretty boring.

I'd rather play Belgian sexual harassment simulator 3 than this.

SKIP

Vyvian

Educated
Bioware thought a "gameplay demo" with LMB spam coupled with Arkham auto-targeting and dodges was something worth showing off proudly.
Break pottery to refill your potions.
Companions? Nah they are just NPCs around you doing their own thing but sometimes you pick a single skill they can fire off.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
1718131670864.png

Place your bets:

1. They forgot to put AI in their little showcase lol.

2. Whoever they had playing this couldn't handle anything other than dev difficulty.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
whats most glaring to me are not color palette or whatever dei bullshit, but rather how ridiculous weapons look like. Peak animu mmo

Drowed

Arcane
Just curious, do we even know how many of the folks responsible for the first Dragon Age are still at Bioware? 30%? 15%? Not that it changes anything, but it is curious how essentially all companies change their franchises so drastically that they become basically unrecognizable.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just curious, do we even know how many of the folks responsible for the first Dragon Age are still at Bioware? 30%? 15%? Not that it changes anything, but it is curious how essentially all companies change their franchises so drastically that they become basically unrecognizable.
Of the writers, Sheryl Chee is the last one left. Lukas Kristjanson and Mary Kirby were laid off last year.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Last time Bioware made an arguably decent game was in 2012. And even that is a stretch.
Why would you possibly expect anything good from them in 2024?
The studio that I once loved has been completely dead for a very long time.

Though I like that even normies hate it, that's true.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Anyway, there's this great critique piece from gaming journo of the new DA that I mostly agreed with:

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/d...ally-out-of-touch-ea-and-bioware-have-become/
From that article:
People aren't afraid of dense systems or complexity, and they don't want to just hammer some buttons on a controller. The delineation between PC gamers and console gamers has been completely destroyed—folks are playing MMOs and strategy games on their Xbox, and the best handheld is a tiny PC. Games don't need to pander to platforms anymore, they just need to be good.

Games like Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Ultima, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura—the classics—were all built on the foundations of tabletop roleplaying, and with that comes infinite possibilities, largely because it gives so much power and agency to players. Disco Elysium and Baldur's Gate 3 prove that there's still so much more that can be done with this RPG model, and they are far from alone in bringing tabletop ideas into the digital realm. This is the future of videogame roleplaying.

I would argue this was always the case, but there were certain limitations that developers had with consoles at the time, translating the controls a CRPG required to a controller, stuck with the resolution of a CRT television, and so on. You couldn't really translate adventure games and older CRPGs to a console until someone came up with the concept of "context menus". There's only so much information you could toss on the screen when you were dealing with a 4:3 aspect ratio CRT with non-square pixels and a maximum horizontal resolution of 480 on a 28" screen across the room. It wasn't until the last 10 years or so that televisions that had larger resolutions and bigger sizes were the norm so you can read lots of information on the screen from across the room.

The same thing goes with operating menus with a controller and controlling your characters, though this is more development side than waiting on technology to be adopted. Remember the first few games that were both console releases and PC releases? The menus were horrible. They either worked well on one or the other, with the PC version often being the one getting the shaft. Over time, developers figured things out as well as PC gamers started to accept using controllers in addition to the mouse and keyboard. Skyrim works pretty well with either, Saints Row: the Third works well with either, Torchlight II works well with either(though they never released the controller support for the PC), and so on.

However, there's quite a few developers that still feel the need to "streamline" things even though that's not really needed from a technical standpoint the way it used to be. Bethesda with Fallout 4 comes to mind with their raping of the SPECIAL character system, which has no advantage at all over their implementation for Fallout 3 and has a huge number of disadvantages in terms of making a game with depth. I haven't played Starfield, and don't plan to play it any time soon or possibly ever, but I've seen it's character creation and it looks fairly streamlined still.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom