Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Ebonsword

Arcane
I tried out the demo of this today. Normally, I'm not a big fan of any RPG that isn't turn-based, but, damn, something about this (the atmospheric level design, maybe?) really has caught my attention.

This may be a launch day purchase for me, which I haven't done in forever.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The gimmick I find really fun is the one they copied off Shadow of the Colossus, what with leaping and hanging on to a monster so you can hack it while it does other shit.

Not impressed by the combat itself, though. It's shit happening too fast for me to recognize so I end up mashing buttons to win instead of trying a strategic approach. It may be just the demo.

Lonerville

Educated
Whilst playing the demo, I had flashbacks of this:

I think it was the cheesy-but-amusing party banter and the atmosphere of the locations that did it. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Game comes out tomorrow! :)

I've been hearing some cool things about it. Like if enemies wade through a river to get to you, and you hit them with a cold spell, it will freeze them solid. Or if someone throws a vial of oil at you and you're carrying a torch, you will be engulfed in flames.

Also, why is this game being discussed in general gaming and not in the RPG section? It seems to be as much of an RPG as Skyrim or Amalur.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Skyrim-clone with worst graphics and fag looking characters.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Well, Dragon's Dogma has way beter combat than Skyrim, for one thing.

For another, it doesn't have level scaling. I feel like I should support the game just for that.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Codex only considers a game an rpg if you can get married and your sword glows brighter than the sun.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Saw some videos with some crazy guy playing a wizard with his fighter pal Jubblies.

Looks interesting, like Oblivion meets Dark Souls, emphasis on the Dark Souls.

Anyone else getting it?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh man, I don't know. Dark Souls is massive incline, but Kingdom of Amalalalala MMORPG-style gaming isn't my cup of tea, unless it's an all out mindless H&S game. This is one of those games where I really need to see what some other people with similar taste think about it before committing to getting it.

Why not link the videos you saw?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, one I believe it's console only and as I self-respecting :obviously: I don't own one. Second, since it's Capcom any sort of PC port will be horrible.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
From what I've seen it's less Oblivion and more Monster Hunter... but that reference probably won't help much. Suffice to say, it's not the sort of game where you wander around hoping to stumble onto something interesting. You get tasked with missions and go out to hunt shit down, then come back for another mission.

Whether or not it's incline is going to depend a lot on the particulars, like how much freedom you have regarding which missions to accept, variety in monsters and their behaviours, and the level of challenge available. Most of the fun I get out of Monster Hunter is from trying to take out really tough shit for the specific rewards it offered, regardless of my current progression through the game and the difficulty involved. Murdering something you're warned to avoid, making a weapon out of it's face, and then looking at the mission list and saying 'Gather herbs? Fuck that shit! I'm a god damned hunter!' is very satisfying. However, it can be fucked up pretty easily, by making encounters not viable for lower gear/character levels, too linear a progression of missions, or making the crafting require bits from fucking everything so you have to do all the missions before making anything. And I've seen all those things fucked up in this style of game before. Hopefully Capcom did it right.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Dragon's Dogma has on-disc locked content intended to be sold as DLC later on. If you care about that sort of thing.

Mortmal

Arcane
I was about to start a thread too asking if some of the NA codexers have it already.

After watching the video there, i am thinking definitively incline , lifiting a guard levitating on a roof and throwing him down, nothing can go wrong .

Clearly a monster hunter feel as well there.

I found only one review but i dont thin it has much credibility, http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00017004-dragon-s-dogma-test.htm, 14/20 , thats not very good , but that site gives score according to the bribe they receive nowadays, 18/20 diablo 3 18/20 skyrim (+ a special top 10 best rpgs of the history with skyrim on top right when it released)

deuxhero

Arcane
There's a review from some obscure magazine that complains about level scaling, difficulty and lack of fast travel but says the game is otherwise perfect.

Yeah, modern game reviewers...

Cynic

Arcane
I really want to play this but no fucking time right now, definitely on my list now though

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Anyone else getting it?
yah, amazon will be delivering my ps3 copy friday. too bad it doesn't have any multiplayer other than the toon swap.
Dragon's Dogma has on-disc locked content intended to be sold as DLC later on. If you care about that sort of thing.
that's modern day capcom for you. the past part is their "what? it makes dlc delivery so much easier for us" response.... at least all the german versions come with the extra quests for free and amazon preorders additionally get some weapon upgrade dlc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, one I believe it's console only and as I self-respecting :obviously: I don't own one. Second, since it's Capcom any sort of PC port will be horrible.
Actually all their MT Framework ports have been great. You'd probably still need a gamepad though considering the genre.

The Ticktockman

Scholar
I've played for about 3 hours. The Chimera battle from the demo is the very first part of the game, which explains why it's so easy (it's one of those "start the game playing as a pre-defined powerful character before starting the game for real with your own character" things). I'm not the most skilled gamer (I found Dark Souls pretty frustrating) so you can take this with a grain of salt, but the game is pretty tough so far. I've died about 4 times, each time from a battle I haven't approached with enough caution. One of those battles was against a handful of bandits who took me out with a couple of hits when I got careless (I'm playing an archer).

If you're playing the game, I recommend you summon my pawn Ravel the mage. I think it would be cool for others who are playing the game to post their pawn and we can pass them around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom