Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

jungl

Augur
Love how capcom trolls gamers. Completionists have to pay over $100 bucks or sorry honey you do not own the game and your achievements do not matter. Rerollers who grew up on games like WoW loving rerolling their characters have to pay extra to tickle their favorite tick. Gamers without state of the line PCs have to suffer abysmal low frame rates.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What kind of fucked up insane retarded arch boomer do they have as CEO lmao.
You don't know the half of it man
Capcom was a company that sat at the top of the market during the PS2's heyday
And they pissed it all away in the following console gen because their greed
Specially in the period after RE6 (2012) and before RE7 (2017), they were seem as more irrelevant than Sega
But ever since the ressurgence in 2019 (DMC5 and REmake 2), it's been business as usual for them
Their execs are the Japanese equivalent of Ubisoft

Fuck's sake i wasn't even talking about the game. I was addressing Capcom what is this butthurt fanboyism now?
Like I said, this game's reception is like ER and BG3 but more polarising - and tending more to the negative because of Capcom's stupidity

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Sucks for Itsuno and team but this could've been delayed a couple weeks to figure out key performance optimizations (+integrate DLSS/FSR frame generation features) and avoid unnecessary controversy and they would've had a Elden Ring-tier hit on their hands.
Dunno if it would've reached that level, as DD1 is a niche cult game, not something that's had succussive well received releases, Itsuno is also not particularly known outside action enthusiast circles and finally Capcom for almost 2 decades has not had a reputation half as nice as From's or even Larian's

The game would've definitively made a bigger splash than Monster Hunter World (still Capcom's most successful game) - and it can still have if they get this shit straigthed out in the next week or 2 (the most important sales period for games of these production levels) - I would estimate maybe 500k concurrent players on steam, but hardly the 800k-900k of BG3 and ER

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sucks for Itsuno and team but this could've been delayed a couple weeks to figure out key performance optimizations (+integrate DLSS/FSR frame generation features) and avoid unnecessary controversy and they would've had a Elden Ring-tier hit on their hands.
Dunno if it would've reached that level, as DD1 is a niche cult game, not something that's had succussive well received releases, Itsuno is also not particularly know outside action enthusiast circles and finally Capcom for almost 2 decades has not had a reputation half as nice as From's or even Larian's

The would've definitively made a bigger splash than Monster Hunter World (still their more successful game) - and it can still have if they get this shit straigthed out in the next week or 2 (the most important sales period for games of these production levels) - I would estimate maybe 500k concurrent players on steam, but hardly the 800k-900k of BG3 and ER

Seems like the release date was all about profit bullshit. Capcom couldn't let them wait any longer as they needed it to hit the end of the fiscal year.

As ADL says, the frame gen features would have reduced the amount of complaints about performance significantly (even though I must admit, I hate devs starting to rely on features like DLSS for acceptable performance).

Suicidal

Arcane
I just don't understand why game devs can't just launch their game on a PC, see that it runs like ass and delay it for a week or two to make it better.

Suicidal

Arcane
cvv

But surely by now execs have seen that so many games had bad launches due to shit performance and could have made much more money if the performance was not bad.

Is 1 million sales right now really a better option than 2-3 million sales in ~2 weeks?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I can see there being way less armour slots than DD1
The armor is a side-grade mechanically, but an improvement aesthically
I'm not one one to like the removal of interesting mechanical features and the layer system in DD1 was undercooked (it was not like morrowind where you had control over individual pieces)
I would've preferred if they expanded on it, but the changes here not any worse than what we've had
Now the "same" armor piece has many variants - like one helm you might find one merchant selling it with no visior (open face), another vendor will sell the same helm but with a closed visor, and perhaps another will have no visor but a gorget and a plum on top of helm and etc...
Obviously each variant also has minor changes in stats
It's an accepatable replacment
Some might not remember but in DD1, when you got to high level your character did start looking mostly the same and you could never see the underlayer unless you were still using low level equipment or slutmaxxing

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
cvv

But surely by now execs have seen that so many games had bad launches due to shit performance and could have made much more money if the performance was not bad.

Is 1 million sales right now really a better option than 2-3 million sales in ~2 weeks?
I think it's due to short-sightedness of the execs, they just wanna hit that fiscal year goal (end of March IIRC), grab their bonuses and who gives a shit what happens then.

I'm an economic major and the professors always told us Western managers tend to make short term decisions in the interest of the share prices while Japanese managers tend to take a more longer-term view, in the interest of the company.

Seems it's no longer true.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
cvv

I think it's due to short-sightedness of the execs, they just wanna hit that fiscal year goal (end of March IIRC), grab their bonuses and who gives a shit what happens then.

I'm an economic major and the professors always told us Western managers tend to make short term decisions in the interest of the share prices while Japanese managers tend to take a more longer-term view, in the interest of the company.

Seems it's no longer true.

Depends on the company, but certainly Capcom has operated this way for years. Someone (Falksi?) summed it up well somewhere earlier itt.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
So technical issues aside, which we've all come to expect from Japs, what about the gameplay aspects? I can see there being way less armour slots than DD1, character model looking like a doughy grandma, ugly running animations asset flipped from Monster Hunter, two-handed swords copying Dark Souls in the worst possible way (slow swinging, resting (hovering) on shoulder...).
Yes, the real problem is that the game is shit.
Everything is a downgrade from Dark Arisen.

430am

Educated
Shame, I won't be buying it because I'm not supporting denuvo, and because the retarded suits at capcom don't region balance their prices, so the game costs as much as a whole month of bills for me, which is ridiculous to pay for a video game.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
My barbarian. She keeps her face hidden because she looks like elijah wood.

IMG-20240323-101355.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Honestly this game only further cements my belief that game pricing should follow an inverse curve to how its done currently. The games should be launched at 20$ or at most 30$ and gradually work their way up to 60$ with each patch/DLC. Because at this point the early adopters are just unpaid bug testers and the vanilla game is often times barely what would normally pass for early beta version if not a late alpha(not the case with Dragons Dogma as far as I can tell but in general). On top of that it is no longer uncommon for the community to have to roll out fixes and mods to fix performance or add features like PS controller icons or DLSS.

The full price is simply unjustifiable when I am essentially flipping a coin as to whether the game will be even be playable(or will be made playable later at some point in time).
It's full price of development + 10 months of bug repairs. After they paid for development and 10 months of improving the game, the additional money are just paying for already done development. Aka they can drop price because the development costs were paid already.

Considering most sales are in first few months, selling for low initial price would cause net loss. And only HoI4 and similar games are basically paid from new DLC money. Most games are released as fully functional without need to pay for features that should be in game at launch already. Look at Elden ring. It was fine without DLC. The planed expansion is basically expansion.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Have been having fun, great sense of adventure in the wild, as in the first game. First dungeon I visited (Goblin mine) had decent size despite being a low level dungeon.

Performance is only terrible in the city. Still starting but promising quests there.

I would haven't know about microtransaction stuff if not for twitter, this thread or steam reviews. I didn't see anything in-game.

I liked more the old engine, I don't know what happens with UE5 and modern engines that they manage to look aesthetically much worse despite better graphics. Also some animations were better in DD1.

I think the game deserves criticism in some areas, but all the negative overreaction on release is ridiculous.

If you liked the first and have a decent PC or PS5 go play it.

Suicidal

Arcane
Played some more. Spent some time fiddling around with the settings. In towns it still runs like absolute ass and I think there's no cure for this save for an official patch, but outside it's slightly better now.

Game is really hard to put down.

They did an excellent job with exploration, much better than in DD1. DD1 is one of those rare games that's open world but the world is designed in such a way that it feels like one big level and not just a big empty field with copy-pasted activities where you can go in any direction but every direction is the same. In DD2 it's the same but they crammed the world full of secrets, passages, random dungeons that you can enter and exit who knows where and get ambushed and instakilled by an enemy that's too powerful for you, collectibles that are actually useful and etc.

Enemy movesets and behaviors have been expanded as well. So far it's mostly been the same enemies with some new ones I don't want to spoil, but there are a lot more variations of the old enemies and they behave in interesting ways. I had goblins lure me into an ambush and saw them pick up and throw explosives barrels (sometimes killing themselves in the process).

Even with the shit performance, really enjoying it. Hope the reception turns around when they start fixing shit. Out of all the stuff released so far this year this is most deserving of GOTY.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
When your own paid streamers make videos like this:

1711223125698.png

No way I'm actually watching it, but I'm just going to assume it's the most kid-gloves "critical" video ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom