Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Shrimp

Arbiter
Pawns definitely learn from your behaviours but I'm not sure about teaching them 'cool tricks' as such, I've just seen stuff like Mages mounting enemies which is obviously behaviour copied from their masters
I think the 'cool tricks' from the original post(s) that DJOGamer PT is referring to was just shit like pawns toggling their lanterns on/off and learning to take advantage of elemental weaknesses in enemies. There was a decent amount of stuff going on behind the scenes but a lot of the common misunderstandings just come from people not really knowing anything about the pawns' inclinations (which were based on the player's actions) and pawns gradually learning more about enemies as you filled out the bestiary.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Speaking of the bestiary I really wonder if there's more to it in DD2 than just the pawn badges you get for killing large amounts of minibosses.
When I first started playing the game I felt like combat encounters lacked a lot of the 'TIS WEAK TO FIRE type chatter but as my playtime increased they at least did start commenting on elemental weaknesses. However they still don't offer any advice on how to actually fight the monsters like severing saurians' tails or removing the armour from cyclopes. Since there's no bestiary like in the first game it makes me wonder if the game still keeps track of these things in order to update the pool of voice lines the pawns can pull from during battle. There's a separate interface that shows how many times you've killed various enemies including the ones that don't award pawn badges, so that's definitely at least one metric they're tracking.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah I'm not really sold on pawns deviating from their original inclinations based on their master's behaviour tbh.

It just makes it way more complicated than it needs to be - I have to not only worry about how inclinations might affect gameplay but also how my actions might interfere with that? Fuck that shit

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
WOW WOW WOW! Apparently you can change your pawn's name. My hired warrior's name changed since I played last night. How tf they do that shit?
If you don't know of a place to direct him to then he'll refuse to leave his prison cell. I guess it depends on the order you explored the city in.
Well I knew that. It takes like 5 minutes to find that library to finish the quest. I assume Fed Master is just being a lazy bitch.

Shrimp

Arbiter
You probably just went offline or something like that. I noticed my hired pawns reverted to using their default monikers on Tuesday during the weekly Steam maintenance

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I cannot believe that enemies don't scale up at all in NG+, is that true?
Yes, you'll basically kill the Medusa in the intro (or rather, get her to retreat) within seconds due to how much damage you do with just basic attacks, thanks to your stats. It's not really a big deal if you just grab a few low-level pawns and start playing a new vocation. But if you want an actual challenge, you kinda wanna get the damage and HP increase mods that are floating around.

Yosharian

Arcane
I cannot believe that enemies don't scale up at all in NG+, is that true?
Yes, you'll basically kill the Medusa in the intro (or rather, get her to retreat) within seconds due to how much damage you do with just basic attacks, thanks to your stats. It's not really a big deal if you just grab a few low-level pawns and start playing a new vocation. But if you want an actual challenge, you kinda wanna get the damage and HP increase mods that are floating around.
Huh, weird

Perkel

Arcane
NG+ seems to be more for completionist people rather than some sort of true NG+.
Now that i finished game i am leaning on to delete save and play alone with my pawn as challenge.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Ulrika is a great and honorable woman indeed. She's fit to be a queen. If it weren't for my thirst of whores and crazy women I'd bed her immediately.
:negative:

NG+ seems to be more for completionist people rather than some sort of true NG+.
Now that i finished game i am leaning on to delete save and play alone with my pawn as challenge.
It sounds 100% pointless at this stage of the game's life. There doesn't seem to be any reason to not delete your save and try something completely new. And that's not a bad thing. Very few devs get NG+ right and it only makes sense in certain types of games.

Reinhardt

Arcane
maybe ng+ is like hard mode in dd1? i.e. enemies deal much higher damage but only against your character?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm watching Elajjaz doing end game with a Warrior and it's a complete mess.

Carceri

Arcane
Speaking of the bestiary I really wonder if there's more to it in DD2 than just the pawn badges you get for killing large amounts of minibosses.
When I first started playing the game I felt like combat encounters lacked a lot of the 'TIS WEAK TO FIRE type chatter but as my playtime increased they at least did start commenting on elemental weaknesses. However they still don't offer any advice on how to actually fight the monsters like severing saurians' tails or removing the armour from cyclopes. Since there's no bestiary like in the first game it makes me wonder if the game still keeps track of these things in order to update the pool of voice lines the pawns can pull from during battle. There's a separate interface that shows how many times you've killed various enemies including the ones that don't award pawn badges, so that's definitely at least one metric they're tracking.
I do believe there's some hidden pawn knowledge to be obtained. I have noticed my own pawn saying something like "I understand now" when fighting monsters I haven't encountered before, like chimeras and drakes. They just don't seem to offer any advice to the player anymore.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
The unmoored world is the new game plus. It changes the world and makes the enemies stronger. It also turns the game into a rogue-like with a 12 day time limit.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I've read really conflicting comments on the unmoored world. Some say it's time limited while others say you can get rid of the limit by saving some cities and doing a quest, but yet others say the limit persists even if you do the quest that halts the end of the world (or whatever goes on at that point in the story)
Either way I won't lie, it sounds like total ass. This game desperately needs some kind of post-game dungeon crawling adventure like BBI

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom